Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Simplest older track hoes?

Jedstivers ยท 2013-03-31 19:24

Which brands have the least amount of electronics/computers in the mid 90's range years? Size doesn't matter as we can use the bigger ones because once it gets here we can move without permits within 50 miles but it won't hardly ever see a hwy. anyway. The perfect size is a Cat 322 but a 36,000# to a 65,000# machine will work. As the bigger overweight ones are cheaper as they get older compared to the lighter ones thinking of going bigger. Anyway I don't have anything against Cat, Komatsu, Kelbco or Deere/Hitachi. Any others to consider or any of those to stay away from? I want something that is not as electrical as today's stuff. I have to deal with enough of that on the tractors,combines and pickers. Also anything against the Cats in the first 3 series without the letter? Is a 10-12K hour machine that's had a lot put in it as good or better than a 6,7,8K hour machine that hasn't? Also when did they start putting a lot of the electronics in? Thanks.

Replies15
  1. #1Jedstivers2013-04-03 21:30

    Anyone?

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2013-04-03 21:46

    I guess my favorite of all the machines was 9?? Komatsu 300, it had 12,000 hrs on it when I bought it and I used it for 2 years clearing lots/digging ponds/demolition, then I traded for a 98 Cat320L. I loved bought of these machines. The 300 was a little big for small lot clearing, but we got it done I owned these 2004-2008 I like the Cat 315, Komatsu 150 they are about 32,000 lb, I rented them and they were great, depends on what you are doing Just remember, the bbbbbbbig machines LOVE fuel good luck

  3. #3ddigger2013-04-03 21:50

    I had a 84 JD 792 that I took well past 20,000hrs with minimal problems. Had very litlle if any electronics on it, it was great machine. Throtlle cable broke, ran a string line to the cab, worked fine till the new one came. And thats just one of the many bandaid fixes that allowed us to finish a shift with little or no down time in the yrs that I owned it.

  4. #4jdp84022013-04-03 21:59

    What are you looking to spend? I recently bought a 2004 JCB JS160 sight unseen (I know crazy/stupid), when I got it I thought I made a huge mistake. But after talking to a JCB dealer the problems that it has aren't really that big of a deal, and I think I got it at a really good price.

  5. #5Jedstivers2013-04-04 22:05

    I'm in the 20-40,000 range. I looked at Deere 790D LC with 10,500 hours on it today that is in pretty good shape. I'm thinking of buying it.

  6. #6trackjoe2013-04-05 11:29

    Simplest would be old case 880 series and drott series, old stuff like that can be a pain to find parts for, especially sprockets

  7. #7Colorado Digger2013-04-05 12:11

    I would think for 30 to 40k you can get a good machine. I paid 45k for an 05 210 with 4000 hours. It is computerized but not emissionized. I would imagine you can pick up a 5-7000 hour hoe within your price range. Anything over 8000 hours you need to be aware of the u/c, pumps and pins. Good Luck, CD

  8. #8qball2013-04-05 20:23

    i would go for a cat 225. no electronic bs and very good parts availability.

  9. #9Jedstivers2013-04-05 22:26

    I bought the 790 today, everything real good but sprockets and they are putting them on and a new mec thumb. A good bit under 30K.

  10. #10denver m farms2013-04-05 23:57

    Well stranger, sounds like you did fine to me, we are big deere and hitachi hoe fans, we have had a 490, 690, 200clc, 230c, and several hitachis, and liked all of them better than the cats or komatsu's we have owned.

  11. #11Jedstivers2013-04-06 08:59

    Hey Denver, I'm not a stranger. I'm over on the cattle today website with you. I think the price on the hoe is good and I think the hoe is real good. The dealer that has it would send it out of the country if he knew of something for sure wrong. I'm only 12 miles from him so he will be close. That being said there is nothing that says it won't blow apart when I get it but that's the chance I take with one that's 10% of a new one. It prol won't get but around 200 hours a year on it too. Speaking of the Hitachi's I have a friend that has one that was wore out when he bought it and it has been nothing but abused since then, it still runs anytime to want it to and has almost to trouble. It's amazing how good that machine is.

  12. #12denver m farms2013-04-06 13:10

    I know that's why I called you a stranger, you don't know of any older cheaper 6 way dozers down there do you?

  13. #13Dalej2013-04-06 14:00

    Let me know if you get it, we can trade notes. Just got one yesterday and the swing motor is ready to be pulled today.

  14. #14Jedstivers2013-04-06 16:18

    For a cell on a D4 a few days ago but didn't get any detailes. Ill pm you.

  15. #15Jedstivers2013-04-07 21:53

    I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday.