Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Single action hydraulic cylinder sticks on my 1983 F700 dump truck

jpyeron ยท 2015-08-16 15:46

I used to be able to get the bed to go down by jerking/braking the truck at slow speeds. over the past year I have used the speed bump near my house to the same, but now it is more stubborn than a mule and has not gone down. The pump is a PTO. The cylinder is a single action. I have not tried to disconnect the hose from the PTO to lower the cylinder due to fear of air in the line. Where should I start?

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-16 16:06

    Three possibilities, either the valve is not shifting correctly, the cylinder is mechanically stuck, or the liner of the hydraulic hose has come apart inside and has collapsed into a rubber plug...

  2. #2BillG2015-08-16 16:20

    Had one recently, five minutes with a grease gun on the hinge points and it worked like a charm. They couldn't believe it was that simple.

  3. #3jpyeron2015-08-16 16:59

    If I were to remove the hose, what precautions do I need to take with regards to air admittance?

  4. #4jpyeron2015-08-16 17:02

    Top and bottom, where the cylinder is mounted to the frame and dump bed? It is worth a try. On a side note, I filled it with enough (60% full) earth to get it to go down again.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2015-08-16 17:30

    Make sure the box is blocked up before doing anything with it. It can drop fast. Been many fatalities over theyears from boxes dropping on people.

  6. #6jpyeron2015-08-16 19:53

    Yes, there is a build in stand for just this, I have heard of people using 2x4s their last time. I was actually planning to work on it while it is in the down position, so I could do it indoors. Here is a pic of the truck, here is the bed just before it dropped back down this afternoon: