Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Single axle dump

AllDodge ยท 2025-01-03 18:38

My County needs another dump truck and as with most small towns money is tight. Have found that class 7 trucks (air brakes) are cheaper then class 6, and only reason I can figure is the higher weight requires a CDL for commercial use. I say commercial use because also found that a Farm tag in KY allows more then that for private use. The issue are the county will need CDL drivers for Class 7 but won't need if class 6. I have a class 6 dump in good shape with under 200K miles and I don't have a CDL. Also found out that with a farm tag I can drive a class 7 truck without a CDL, so maybe I can get a 7 and sell the County my 6 for a lower price Ya'll know of any issues I'm missing?

Replies12
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-01-03 19:14

    No issues if under a 150 miles of farm and not transporting hazardous materials with class 7. According to your states rules/laws.

  2. #2Old Doug2025-01-03 19:26

    When they came out with CDL i thought it would be the same for every state but its not. What if you are legal in your home state and cross into another state were your not?

  3. #3AllDodge2025-01-03 19:27

    Could be an issue if I went out of state, but haven't yet with my dump, so will look into that if its a possibility. Appreciate the thought

  4. #4CM19952025-01-03 20:14

    The difference between class 6 and 7 is GVWR. A class 6 truck can have air brakes and still be under the CDL requirements per the Fed rules. States can be more restrictive though.

  5. #5Truck Shop2025-01-03 22:31

    From what I've found nation wide any vehicle under the 26,000 GVWR with or without air brakes no CDL required. 26,001 up a CDL is required, it has air brakes it will require that restriction. For farm use with a farm tag a CDL is not required for most all states air brakes or not, unless it is used for commercial or a hazmat. * Where farmers get into trouble-- product is hauled from farm to a mill/elevator that is considered farm use. Once product is co-mingled with others products it then becomes a commercial product, requiring all necessary commercial hauling paper work.

  6. #6cfherrman2025-01-04 18:51

    You probably will be able to get your workers CDL with state money

  7. #7AllDodge2025-01-04 18:54

    Many have tried and so far has been no help. What fiscal court has tried and time well tell if it's beneficial, the court pays to send employee to training and they agree to so many years

  8. #8AllDodge2025-01-11 14:24

    Know of any motors to stay clear of?

  9. #9Truck Shop2025-01-11 17:08

    I know it can be a needle in a haystack to find sometimes but something powered by a 8.3-----------8.3's have been the choice of towing companies for a good reason. Very reliable power in a decent power range.

  10. #10AllDodge2025-01-11 17:11

    Cummins

  11. #11Shimmy12025-01-11 17:37

    Yes, but absolutely not one with the CAPS pump. Stay far away from 1998 to 2003 ISC8.3, unless they've been converted to a Bosch P-pump.

  12. #12AllDodge2025-01-11 17:52

    Thanks