Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Single Axle Roll Off

Coastal ยท 2007-07-08 12:47

I just got a roll off system installed friday for my lil' Sterling, I have a bunch of bins on order, and this flatdeck for my machines. She goes to work tomorrow!

Replies30
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-07-08 12:54

    There's a contractor near me that has a single axle roll off, he ended up putting a lift axle on it. Truck looks nice!! You need some simulators to brighten up the wheels!

  2. #2Coastal2007-07-08 13:31

    Haha, I just painted them black last night, they were a nice rusty white before.

  3. #32004F5502007-07-08 13:43

    very nice truck

  4. #4CM19952007-07-08 13:48

    Forget about simulators - you need some spinners! Gotta look good going down the road. So what kind of hoist did you go with? I run a small swaploader hooklift on a Hino and this truck We started with a single axle and 10 small 10-15CY cans. That was a year ago - now we have 48- 10,12,15CY cans, a tandem roll-off and 36 - 20,30 CY cans. The growth has been incredible. Plan on ordering more cans soon.:thumbsup As far as advertising goes, we had our best luck running an add in the Thrifty Nickle. It's one of those small classified type newspapers you can by at the checkout at the convience store. I did not expect it to generate much business but it actually did better than the yellow pages. Oh - forgot to ask is this for in-house work or will you be renting them out?

  5. #5Coastal2007-07-08 14:01

    I decided to try a cable style this time around, I had a hooklift on my last truck, it was good, but was low on lifting power. We tested out an overloaded bin with the new setup on friday, we filled it full of the heaviest wettest stuff we could find and aside from lifting the front tires a bit off the ground it pulled it up no problem. Im guessing it was about 30,000lbs as it was a 15 yard bin over filled. LOL Its a canadian made system from Ontario, I went with it because it weighs almost half that of a similar hooklift, it costs almost $10,000 less, and it has a nice low profile height so the center of gravity isnt too bad with my machines on. This will be for in house use, but we are definitely also going to rent them out. Customers are already waiting for bins. :drinkup We have a few of those little flyer/newsletter things around, thanks for the tip I will definitely try it!

  6. #6Ford LT-90002007-07-08 15:17

    You went with a On-Trux system ? I was looking at that for my F-450 or build one for my 450. I have seen hooklifts power out they don't have any power not compared to a cable system rolloff. I may end up buying a 9000 Ford tandem its already a rolloff truck I used to drive it. Contractor has a new one now and doesn't need this one. Truck is good it needs some work but it will be good enough for what dad and I want to use it for. Not into hauling debris with the truck too much of a hassle there is more money in scrap metal. Got enough to get rid of it should pay for the truck and haul topsoil back. Anyhow you may find a single axle rolloff being too small you may end up with a good collection of overload fines Keep the truck plain as possible it keeps the RCMP and CVI inspectors off your back. You will be running around overloaded quite abit so you don't want to be caught or attract attention to yourself. With the nice weather now the DOT will be out checking because they are not getting wet. If its raining you won't see them if its not they will be out. Keep us updated on how durable that system is I'am a little sceptical on the retractable rail tails.

  7. #7Steve Frazier2007-07-08 15:24

    Anyone else having a case of deja vu????

  8. #8N.B.CONCRETE2007-07-08 15:32

    LOL , here we ponder again......LOL

  9. #9atgreene2007-07-08 16:32

    I just bought a 5500 and am looking at a dump bed but considered the roll-off system. How much weight does it add over a regular bed? Anyone priced one out recently?

  10. #10Ford LT-90002007-07-08 16:44

    No pondering anymore dad wants to retire and wants to clean up the yard. With land values skyrocketing the property is worth 1.5 maybe 2 million just as bare land. The scrap metal will pay for 90% of the truck and the topsoil or what ever needs to be hauled back pays wages etc. With topsoil in the area being very scarce in the area a 12 yard load is worth 500 dollars delivered. The truck will be for our use only not making a living from it I have a steady job the truck will be to keep my sanity and get back on the road driving again. If we can make some money on the side with the truck on my days off even better. I'am not really worried now I have a guaranteed income its not as much money I would like to make but I make more than the average single person income. Enough thread hijacking I hope Coastal has enough work to keep the truck busy if he does get busy he might be taking that single axle Sterling to Dams Ford and trading it in on a 2008 Sterling 9500 with a set of Langfab rolloff hoist. A new Sterling with a set of 23' rails is 150,000 Canadian with no bins. The Vancouver housing market really hasn't slowed down like it has in other parts of B.C. . I can't remember where Coastal is in B.C. but if he is in the Lowermainland area there is lots of demand for rolloff bins. I know in the West Side of Vancouver developers and people are buying up the old 1940s-1960s houses tearing them down building new houses and being sold for 2 million dollar or more houses. Money is still no object for some of these people I don't know where it comes from but spending 1 million dollars is like pocket change

  11. #11Steve Frazier2007-07-08 16:46

    When I was shopping for my 550 Alan, it was about 1500 pounds extra for the system. I felt it was too much for my size truck. That was in '02, things may have changed since then.

  12. #12Ford LT-90002007-07-08 17:18

    The hooklift system is the heaviest of the bunch. You can get a switch and go or a conventional rail system lighter. With all this "Legal Payload" crap you need a minimum 6500 (3 ton) truck to make a rolloff truck that will "Legally" carry 3 tons of gravel. A rolloff system for a landcaper is more convenience than anything else. Its the option to have a dump body a flatdeck etc. You could have two dump bodies.

  13. #13Coastal2007-07-08 18:07

    I am yet to scale it since the roll off went on, but they claim it weighs 1350-1450 pounds, the lightest hooklift I found was around 3500 pounds. The retractable stinger is really nice, I can have a 12', 14',16' or 18' body on with nothing sticking out the back. I cant forsee any problems, its just a long travel ram pushing on some square tube. As for pricing, youre looking at about 13000CDN for the Roll off System, $1500 for a clutch pump to make it go, and your bins and shipping on top of that. The install was $4000.

  14. #14Ford LT-90002007-07-09 03:34

    Wow thats a good deal for the rolloff system especially comparing it to a hooklift. The bins will probably run you about 5000 each depending on the specs. Or you can find some old flatdecks and make them into rolloff boxes Amix salvage has or had some good steel decks forsale would make good boxes.

  15. #15CM19952007-07-09 08:42

    Our Swaploader SL145 hooklift that is mounted on our Hino weighs in at 2250 lbs and is rated at 14,000 lbs. The truck is 25k GVW to get under the CDL limit and it will lift every bit of 14k lbs. Most small cans we pick are 1-3 tons max. It just didn't seem like we needed a heavy lift since we can't legally carry a heavier box. In addition our tandem dual-lift will pick up the small boxes if some jackass over loads them with dirt or concrete. ointhead The hooklift just fit our operations better. Several reasons why I like the hooklift over a cable: no cable to break and whiplash, no cable to hook and unhook and you have the ability to push the box into places like a garage or loading dock. Our drivers love the hooklift since all you have to do is back up to the box, load it on the truck, roll back the auto tarper and do a walk around before you leave. When you move 10-15 boxes a day it makes a difference. One landfill we go to even has "valet service". All you have to do is back to the dump face, roll the tarp back and laborers unhook your gate, dump and the guys hook your gate and chains back up. Talk about making it easy on the drivers! Add that to A/C, auto trans, CD player, air ride seat, above average pay scales and health insurance and we don't have any problems finding drivers. Just :my2c

  16. #16Coastal2007-07-09 23:40

    I agree with you for sure that the hooklift is an easier system for the driver, but im getting used to this setup and am really liking it. Here is what I picked up today, my pc75. I also learned that steel tracks and steel decks are scary, on the way home i hit a bump in the corner and the whole thing slid sideways about 4". I thought I had it chained down really tight too.:

  17. #17cat3202007-07-10 00:06

    fits on there just right , you need to post one of those loading videos on utube . looks really nice

  18. #18Coastal2007-07-10 00:35

    Thanks! Ya maybe I will do that tomorrow, I think im a little overweight, i might take a rip out to the scales tonight and see how it sits.

  19. #19Coastal2007-07-10 01:59

    Ok i went to the scale. 400lbs over on the front axle, and 900lbs over on the rear.

  20. #20Countryboy2007-07-10 02:16

    Nice looking machine and truck. How many hours you got on the ex? In the second picture you posted I spy a beadlock rim. Might I ask what the rim is attached too?

  21. #21Ford LT-90002007-07-10 03:29

    You might want to have a layer of 3/4 inch plywood over the steel deck to give the tracks something to bite into. Steel on steel is slipperyer than snot even rubber conveyor belt and steel is slippery when the rubber is wet. You may even want to build a machine hauling bed where you don't have any decking on it. The decking could be steel bars or some kind of mesh. Make the deck light but strong to put you with legal axle loads. With your axles overloaded your overload fine would be 240 dollars.

  22. #22Coastal2007-07-10 10:07

    Thanks, The machine has about 1600 hours or so. Good eye on the beadlock Country Boy. Thats one of my friends trucks...we like the rock crawling. Not a bad idea to make a light weight deck though, I will look into it and see what I could trim to make it light enough. :drinkup

  23. #23atgreene2007-07-10 20:23

    That's a nice looking set-up! Some snowmobile track or old belting laid on the deck would help with the sliding.

  24. #24Coastal2007-07-10 20:36

    I was thinking about that, then I remembered im putting rubber pads on the beast anyways...i should have them this week. :usa

  25. #25nedly052007-07-10 21:10

    Nice looking set-up!

  26. #26thejdman042007-07-10 21:11

    sharp truck:drinkup

  27. #27Countryboy2007-07-10 22:22

    Yes, yes..thats what I was looking for. :drinkup Thanks.

  28. #28artherd2007-08-04 16:47

    How tall are you with that Ex on top? Over 9'? How's the balance? What's the wheelbase on your truck? I'm trying to decide between a single axle and dual roll-off myself.

  29. #29Coastal2007-08-04 16:59

    Im about 12'6, we are legal to 13'6 here. If you havent bought a truck yet, you might as well go tandems. I am about 2000 overweight with the 75 on there. Although if you got a longer roll off, and a heavier front axle you would probably be ok with a single axle.

  30. #30Ford LT-90002007-08-04 22:34

    Tandem axle rolloffs are easier to find especially in the used truck market. The big advantage for a smaller excavation contractor that does multiple jobs in one day. Moving a machine around on a rolloff truck is quick no fighting with a trailer. Got a job where you have a finished driveway be it gravel to concrete its easy to drive the truck in dump the box onto the ground steel tracks don't damage anything.