Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

single vs twin engine?

wnydirtguy ยท 2011-03-10 21:57

I have only run TS-14. I see Cat has both engine combos. I am wondering if the single engine units are as productive as twins. I can imagine not having the extra kick of the rear engine. I know I will get good info from you guys.

Replies5
  1. #1vapor3002011-03-11 12:39

    They are just as productive if the conditions are right, and alot more cost effecient.

  2. #2Dozerboy2011-03-11 20:53

    Yep 2 engine means twice the fuel, but twins are a hole lot funner

  3. #3surfer-joe2011-03-12 18:28

    Lots of "depends." Use of single engine or double-barrels depends on soil conditions, distance, grades, weather, ownership or rental costs, transport costs, and losts of other depends. I agree that operating a TS-14 or TS-24 scraper is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on for smaller or difficult jobs, but for serious dirt, the bigger Cat 637's and 651's are a better option. Costs go up for single engine operations too, when you ad the extra fuel and operators a push cat or two requires as well as their own ownership costs.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2011-03-15 03:37

    Yair...I wouldn't have thought you could compare the machines. In most conditions a twin can self load and work unassisted...a single MUST always have some sort of pusher.

  5. #5Einstien2013-07-15 09:39

    Depends on the area. Places like so cal or calgary have the good ground conditions for them but places of edmonton they are pretty useless