Guys, this section of the forums has been so popular that I've started a sister site Heavy Truck Forums The topics are broken down more in depth and include most of the trucking industry. Take a look!!
Is there any way to share info directly between the sites? Or are they completely separate?
I don't want to rain on your parade but it seems to me that the web is pretty much saturated with truck boards already. I really like the focus of this board on business and machines earning their keep, though. How do you propose to draw users into the new board? Also, I find it a bit counterproductive to have such a great number of sub forums. No one is going to read the Brockway forum, for instance, so the lone guy that has one and needs help will never get it from even those who might know the answer but not have a Brockway any more. Sometimes it is better just to keep things all in one place and let the titles of posts do the differentiation.
I'm looking in to whether I can cross post, I'm still a bit of a novice with vBulletin. Birken, my hope is with the same direction, business and trucks will be as popular as heavy equipment. There certainly are more trucks out there than heavy equipment.
Yair . . . I find HEF good (make that better than good) for the simple reason everything is on the one site. As Birken Vogt mentions there may be less cross-pollination. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out but I am a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" way of thinking. However there may well be "behind the scenes" difficulties for the moderators I don't understand. What ever the case, I hope it all works out . . . but not to the detriment of this excellent board. All the best with it and Cheers.
Looks good steve.
I'm hoping it will complement our site. There are a lot of truckers out there not involved with heavy equipment that can benefit from it, and I'll link this site at that one. We will more than likely have members join here as a result of that site too. Thanks td25c
Great, yet another site to visit....how is anyone supposed to get any work done ? Lol. I totally agree with birken and it appears as of right now the other members do too. But 'eh whatever floats your boat...... Hopefully your keeping the truck forum here on HEF open aren't you? Cross posting from vB board to board is pretty simple ....... But I'm sure ther is a vB board out there somewhere to help explain it lol Pj
I Would hope so too Steve ……. I hope it will separate where the Bear craps in the Bush from some of the $.02 comments that can happen from the wanna-b's….. We can only see that it'll be a success !
I doubt Steve would shut it down here, really wouldn't make much sense to do so if you think about it, after all, HEF is it's own entity. As for the competition of other truck forums saturation, true enough there's plenty of choices already out there, but I have to think, Steve already started a forum from nothing, HEF, and all of us members have made it what it is now. I have no reason to think we can't make this new forum successful as well. But then, as I wake up everyday to realize God has granted me another day of breathing oxygen, maybe I'm the eternal optimist.
That is broken down .
Tiny!!!!
LMAO! :lmao
Does your user name and password (for HEF) work in the sister site or do I have register again to login there?
You will need to register there. I'm not sure that I can set it to automatically register HEF members, plus I wouldn't feel right about doing that without permission from each member. We have nearly 35,000 members here, that would be some process to get permission from each one.
Steve, Could we get a link to the new forum in the "Link Exchanges" section? This might also draw more attention to it when new people arrive when they look in that section out of curiosity. And by the way, I do like the way you have the new forum set up, it allows anyone with ANY interest in trucks(no matter how obscure they may be) a chance to put that interest in the right spot.
Done!
Good idea Ray, and thanks Corey!!
I registered with Heavy Truck Forums. It said I would receive an email which has a link that I would need to activate the account. I never received any email. Now I can log in to Heavy Truck Forums but it tells me: You may not post new threads You may not post replies You may not post attachments You may not edit your posts When I click on a picture to view it, it comes up with a message: you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: 1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system? 2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. It has my username in the bar right up the top, but the account is obviously not working. I'm guessing I need the activation email that I didn't get?
I just went there and checked. It showed you as "awaiting email confirmation", so I changed it to "registered user". Let me know if that didn't help...
Thanks Digger, it's working now, much appreciated. Strange that I didn't get the email with the confirmation link...............
I found a few other HEF members in the same situation there, and changed those as well. We'll look into the issue. Thanks for letting us know you had a problem.:notworthy
They might double check the spam folder in their email . Some emails will put site notices in the spam area
Thanks Tiny, I found it was in the Junk email folder. Sorry for the hassle Digger.
When the truck site was started I registered and visited a few times. I must have forgotten the password and have been locked out of the account. So I say screw it just stay here..I like it better here at H.E.F. No need for multiple duplicate forum memberships.
Steve: google flagged it as a deceptive site. Why?
I spoke with our tech about this, he said that Google has been pushing forums to purchase the "https:" secure site prefix and has begun flagging sites without it. I've contacted Google several times about it yet they still throw the warning. It came up for me yesterday but not tonight. Rest assured we aren't doing anything fishy. I have no explanation for why this site hasn't been targeted.
Why does it ask me for my DOB and such?
My guess is because this site is well established and high traffic and has been around a very long time, the other site appears quite the opposite to them. But the bottom line is anytime you are dealing with a huge faceless corporation like that that is supposed to serve you, the small customer, you will get jerked around with no rhyme or reason. I notice it more and more as this Internet stuff expands into every area of life.
ianholt150, the only time you should be asked for your DOB is when you're registering. The software requires it to ensure we are abiding laws regarding minors on the internet. If you are seeing it otherwise, please take a screen shot and sent to me.
My antivirus goes nuts when I try to access the truck site. Any ideas?
That's fairly normal I think, I haven't visited the HTF site for some time now because of that issue. Truck Shop
I've had my tech look at that and he can't find anything wrong. Google has been pressuring website owners to purchase the more expensive https URL and we think this may be a ploy to force the issue. I've contacted them several times to find out how to get them to stop flagging the site but have had no response. We're in the process of converting to this software for that site which doesn't seem to be affected. I've been visiting the site regularly with no ill effects.
Yeah, I was getting warnings, now my system almost won't let me go there.
That link you have posted sent me out to something infected as hell or at least that's what my antivirus said.
I just checked, it gives me an all red page and I have to click through several obscure places before I can finally get in...
HTF has been that way for the last eight months.
No issues getting to the HTF site or logging in . Steve nailed it in post # 33 . Could be the antivirus is infected giving a false warning on a stand up forum . Like the President would say......... " Fake News " !
Well the only fake news is coming from the white house. Besides that it gave my PC fits.
I don't run any meaningful antivirus, it is my browser and Google that throws the warnings at me. All stuff on their end, nothing from my local computer. That is what is annoying, "they" deciding what we should look at.
If I use the link from here I have no problems. If I go from the outside (search) I still get all kinds of weird crap.
Looks like its gona be a good site but I cant see any way to post pictures. How do i post a picture on it?
Browser Issue, http is not secure for logins https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/insecure-password-warning-firefox?as=u&utm_source=inproduct Microsoft Edge to support Chromium Extensions https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/10/microsoft-edge-will-support-chromium-extensions/
Sounds like crickets chirping over there...
I just PMed Steve about this. I'm not sure whether tech support there comes from the same guy as we have here, or it's someone different.
There is no security issue with the site, this is Google flagging any site that hasn't purchased the https preface to the URL. It was an issue about a year ago but I had been able to get Google to leave us alone. I guess they're pushing again for extra revenue. You can visit the site without risk, I'll work on getting the https rating.
HTF is down temporarily. Apparently there is a snag in the hosts communication policy, plus the department that can restore the site is not back in the office until Monday. I apologize for the inconvenience and will work on seeking a different host.
Sometime this week Heavy Truck Forums will go off line for a few days for a site upgrade. We'll return with a secure URL and same software as this forum. I'll do my best to narrow down the time frame as it gets closer, sorry for the inconvenience.
It took longer than expected to do the software update, HTF will be shut down for about a week while we upgrade software and add tighter security. Sorry for the inconvenience, when we return it will be on the same software as this site and have a secure URL so there will be no more warnings.
Just wondering-it's been down for a long time is it going away.
Been checking in there too.
Actually I'm told it's very close to being completed, I'll let you all know when it's up. They hit a snag, the files weren't where they were supposed to be and it took some time to locate them. Could be early next week. Sorry for the delay!!
Well, if it turns out as well as this site did, it should get more traffic. the direct picture posting makes a big difference. I'm on a firearms forum that is in a turmoil right now trying to update their site (Or just talking about it). They're cheap and wont allow a little advertising to help upgrade, so I doubt that's going anywhere. I don't mind the ads as long as they aren't persistent popups.
I'm changing the software there to match here, xenForo is more resistant to hacking. We'll also have a secure address, you won't be getting the warnings anymore. The files have been transferred but there are a few bugs to be worked out before we go live. Based on the number of improvements I've seen today it shouldn't be much longer. Thanks for your patience!!
Thanks.
We're back!! The site went live earlier today, you're all welcome to use it at your will. When you visit you'll notice we don't have the https prefix yet, I'm told it will take Google a couple days to peruse the site and approve our application for the secure URL, but it's in the works. The site is hosted on a new, more secure server and is safe. I've also set up a thread in the support section to report any glitches you might come across. The software is now the same as here, again for the improved security and we've done our best to make it appear as similar to this forum as we can. The template we used here is no longer available. It took a little longer to put together than originally expected, I sure appreciate your patience!! Enjoy!!
I sneaked over and checked it out. I like it. Now to scare up some new traffic.
passwords all the same ?
Mine were.
Should be the same password you registered with
Secure URL now in place!
I tried it, the site page comes up but but it says page could not be found.
When I click on the link from this site, it says website can not be reached. Why can I not view this "new" forum?
Tried the site.was able to scroll through' but it does not recognize user name or password.also could not find a link to from hef.
I had no problems getting in. I'll recheck the procedure and let you guys know. ETA: I used the "Link exchange forum" here and clicked right over, It says "website can't be reached" but the login box is there and I had no problem logging in. Then just hit "Home".
I just registered over there - email rcvd - clicked activation link and it redirected me to nowhere land and wouldn't activate. Just sent me to error page...
Did you click on "Home" in the toolbar? I get the "oops" too but clicking home gets me right in.
yes, but it still says awaiting confirmation.... and confirmation link won't work properly to redirect to the activation link..
Maybe after you're confirmed? I don't remember if there was a wait period when I signed on.
Yeah, that's the thing... it shows me , you, td... online but still shows me as not activated because of the email link... which won't redirect right...
I'll have our tech look at this page. Ronsii, did you use the same username there? I can approve your account
Yes, RonSII Thanks, Steve All good now it works!!!
I beat you to it, Steve. Ronsii, you should be good to go.
I wondered how he did it so fast
I got right in with the same name and password that I used before and it let me go everywhere with no problems
Use the link below to get to the site, for some reason any other variation doesn't seem to work. www.heavytruckforums.com
tried to post photos but the file was to big it says-so i guess no photos from me.
Tried to log in and even tried to setup a account again and it won't let me verify my email address.
Theweldor, I just manually validated you. You should be good to go.
TS, I just compared the allowed file sizes for attachments there and here, and HEF definitely allows more kilobytes. I don't want to change it without verifying what Steve and the techs intend, but I'd imagine it can be raised.
TS, I checked and found the file size was set differently over there. I changed it to match what we have here, so hopefully you shouldn't have any problem now.
Need to sticky this link up above.
Thank You !
I'm stayin' here for now.
I am hanging a shingle to both
Been working on getting on Truck site on and off for a few years, figured it would come around when the bugs got worked out, however tried agian, email confirmantion failed for the second time.
Tried to register but I couldn’t because the site wanted a unique e-mail address. There is only one of me—why would I want another address ? For now, I‘ll just lurk and view the forum. OliverDurand at Comcast.net. thanks
Trucks UGH
Bomag rollers UGH, Hass avocados and cnc's UGH, 2 strokes UGH, yellow iron UGH, green iron UGH. It's just one big ugh there vetech.
Someone is trying to go out with a big bang.
?
I still can't get access to the truck site 5 years later, some issue with email, can the moderator over there reach out and work out the issue with me?