Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

sk350 black smoke

chris thrash ยท 2019-08-23 09:37

have a sk350 ser# yc08u1619 loading up and blowing black smoke, replaced a speed sensor, pressure tested the turbo cooler, operator states cant run it more then 1/2 throttle or it really smokes, gets worse if operator tries to do 2 functions at once. not very efficient at solving excavatorproblems as I am primarly a heavy trk mechanic

Replies4
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-08-23 10:44

    Pull the air filters OUT.. completely OUT & see if THAT helps any.. The turbo may have failed too?? Grab the wheels on turbo & see if they'll wiggle back & forth/up & down.. Look for oil on the boots..

  2. #2chris thrash2019-08-24 09:03

    pulled both filters , it seemed better, installed both new filters, I am leaning to the Turbo also, have to get back up in the yard and check it out more , I see heavy black smoke from it from down here at the shop, wish I knew more about these things, my trk experienceis saying turbo that's why I checked the cooler

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2019-08-24 21:07

    What engine is in your machine? Are there any error codes come up on inst. cluster. You could have a turbo boost pressure sensor or like "thepumpguy" said could be turbo. Also check fuel pressure at inlet of fuel filter head and outlet side also.

  4. #4chris thrash2019-08-28 15:21

    pulled the turbo, no free play on either side, no oil in boots, the waste gate actuator seems real hard to move, put shop air to it and it moves about a 1/2 inch, if I disconnect it the waste gate moves aprox 90 degrees. Does anyone know the amount of movement I should have with it hooked up?