Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

skid steer china vibratory smooth roller

jd mad · 2026-08-31 10:36

has anyone got any info. on how to add oil before 1st use ? im not seeing where to add the oil , its a raytree 76in. i know its kind of a crapshoot with these things but only need it a few times a year. thanks!!

Replies33
  1. #1PeterG2026-08-31 14:43

    Did it not come with an owner's manual? Maybe ask your rep? You can also email the company. I would think there would be some grease fittings and that's it. Otherwise hook up hydraulic hoses to your skidsteer track loader and switch on the attachment. One of the issues when buying no name import equipment (especially Chinese), is no one on the site is likely to have worked on one, and Company support is dim.

  2. #2Welder Dave2026-08-31 15:24

    Ritchie Bros. sells those vibratory rollers under a few different brand names. Maybe you check with them for a manual?? I don't know why you'd have to add oil and if you did it would be pretty obvious where. I agree with Peter above probably just need the hoses hooked up and a few grease fittings lubed.

  3. #3smifwal2026-08-31 17:53

    I have one that has a sticker that says add oil I haven't located where the "oil" goes yet either. i just run it. I would typically not be so callus but I only have $3k in and it has already paid for itself many times over, next one will be a cat or a ride on. I couldn't justify the money for a cat when I bought it

  4. #4Tones2026-08-31 18:15

    Why not pour oil into one of the hoses? Surely some oil in the motor would be better than none.

  5. #5materthegreater2026-08-31 21:01

    If it's the same as mine, there are two plugs in one end of the drum I think. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. Don't run it without oil in it or the bearings will be running dry.

  6. #6materthegreater2026-08-31 22:09

    Ok, so yours might be a little different than mine. Mine is a "Handy" 76" roller, but it looks very similar to the Raytree roller. When I inquired about adding oil this is the response I got from the manufacturer: "Hello, Be sure to add at least 77L of oil before use.Ordinary lubricants or scrapped hydraulic fluids will work fine. It just lubricates the bearings inside while adding weight to the drum. It won't get into the lines. Emma" She also sent me the user manual. Send me a PM if you're interested.

  7. #7materthegreater2026-09-01 09:15
  8. #8CM19952026-09-01 09:43

    Probably just like a big roller. Our 533E's drum is filled with oil that bathes the exciters in the drum and like others said adds weight. IIRC we used 15W40 last time we added.

  9. #9PeterG2026-09-01 11:28

    How much oil do you add to the drum them? As above, 20 gallons? Do you fill the whole drum up with hydraulic fluid/diesel oil?

  10. #10HarleyHappy2026-09-01 11:51

    Yes you fill the drum up pretty full. 3/4 full is standard any junk oil can be run in them. I have put used oil in from a 55 gallon drum that sat upright for a few months and just sucked until it started looking really black.

  11. #11jd mad2026-09-01 13:34

    lol that looks like the sticker on my unit!! (no owners manual) been reading different post about guys not adding oil before initial use and smokin the unit in the first few minutes. i bought it at ritchie bros auction. ill keep looking for info. thank you!!

  12. #12jd mad2026-09-01 13:40

    i bought @ ritchie bros. no manual. ill keep looking and figure it out. thanks!

  13. #13Welder Dave2026-09-01 14:44

    See if RB's can get a manual for it. If yours is like Smifwal's post above it looks like there are 2 compartments that take 3.6 litres (1 gallon) each. Probably have to turn the drum until a fill plug appears in a cut out section to access it. Maybe a bolt has to be removed is another possibility. Most machines like that (not built in China) would have a sticker or tag showing where to fill compartments.

  14. #14smifwal2026-09-01 17:36

    Mine has never smoked, I bought mine on purple wave. I will get it out tomorrow and see if I can find a port that looks the materthegreater posted

  15. #15Mobilewrench2026-09-01 20:37

    Not to hijack the thread, but if any of you who have one of these could send me some pics of them I would appreciate it. I am trying to identify one that a client picked up over the weekend and there is no branding on it. Trying to figure out parts sourcing for it.

  16. #16Welder Dave2026-09-01 21:41

    All the ones RB's sells look identical with 2 or 3 different brand names. Maybe googling vibratory rollers from RB would bring up some pics.? Maybe RB's can source parts??

  17. #17jd mad2026-09-02 11:27

    77 liters is about 20 gallons . did you put 20 gal in it ? does yours have a fill and drain plug on each end ?

  18. #18smifwal2026-09-02 16:36

    I think I found my drain/fill port, there is one on both it is a 10mm Allen. I don't have the socket here at the house so I haven't opened it yet

  19. #19materthegreater2026-09-02 18:13

    Yes I put approximately 20 gallons in it. The drain and fill plugs are just on one end.

  20. #20smifwal2026-09-02 18:56

    You don't have the same Allen head bolt on the other side?. I have 1 on each sid with the same cut out for both

  21. #21Welder Dave2026-09-02 20:22

    The one pic. mentions 2 compartments that take 3.6 litres. It must depend on the brand of roller.

  22. #22materthegreater2026-09-02 20:41

    Both pictures I posted are from the right side. I believe the drum is not partitioned.

  23. #23smifwal2026-09-02 21:22

    I will open mine up tomorrow and report back

  24. #24smifwal2026-09-03 12:22

    So I took both bolts out 1 at a time and filled till it spit. Took about 2 gallons per side. My label says 3.6L/2 same tag on the other side

  25. #25jd mad2026-09-03 12:44

    you have been a big help thank you sir!!!

  26. #26jd mad2026-09-03 12:46

    you're awesome thank you brother!!!

  27. #27materthegreater2026-09-03 12:55

    Different designs, probably made on the other side of the factory in China

  28. #28Welder Dave2026-09-03 17:09

    I've read of the Chinese rollers not lasting long. I wonder if it's because the auction buyers never knew they had to put oil in them? They are 1/4 to 1/5 cheaper than name brand rollers.

  29. #29CM19952026-09-03 18:14

    From my experience owning a Bobcat brand back in the mid - 2000's the bearings are the weak part of these rollers. The Bobcat ate bearings even when kept greased so I can only imagine how crappy some of these cheap chinease ones are. A trench roller is a better option than these skid steer roller attachments - YMMV.

  30. #30smifwal2026-09-03 19:05

    I found the grease zerk which I new had to be there but never went looking as hard as I did today. I bought my roller because I was doing a lot of playground turf prep and I was required to compact, with the AB -3 the dust would clog the plate compactor air filter and then you would be cleaning it out then trying get it started in the dead of sun. I rented a roller for one of the bigger ones and I couldn't get it on my gooseneck because of the 2in lip on my dovetail so I had to use the rental yard's trailer,(it was included in the rental but I prefer using my own trailer)after the 3rd try of them trying to find one that all the lights worked I told them to deliver it, I started looking for a roller that night. This one satisfied the requirements and was cheap so I "rolled with it" Lol

  31. #31CM19952026-09-03 19:42

    Don't get me wrong the Bobcat roller attachment paid for itself many times over on a town home project filling in a main level garage on basement units. Instead of #57 stone we used onsite chert fill and it worked great. I just got tired of putting bearings in it and sent it to auction after purchasing trench rollers.

  32. #32Welder Dave2026-09-03 21:03

    Some people who put sod down read a bunch of stuff about rolling and figure it's mandatory. It's like any other job in that it's all in the prep. If you have your area leveled and smooth you lightly water it just before putting the sod down. Once the sod is down you give it a good soaking that makes the sod quite heavy. You need to water fairly heavy for several days. There isn't really a need to roll it. I did a lot of big sod jobs on golf courses so have some real experience with it.

  33. #33smifwal2026-09-03 21:56

    I was at the dealer today ordering 18' smooth and a 30" tooth bucket, I asked the dealer about a plate compactor or a vibratory sheep foot for the sany not sure would be better but either would be awesome