am looking at purchase of first skid steer. Have backhoe loader experience and dozer experience. have rented a skid on occasion bit never owned. Am looking at Case 1845C and New Holland LX665. Comparable hrs - 1845C looks to have had rougher life - comparable money - same dealer has both machines. Good - bad - what to look for....?
What's your budget and what do you plan to use it for (home, commercial, etc.)? What tasks do you envision performing most often with it, and, are there some, occasional tasks that the machine *must* capable of performing, even if you don't do them very often? For example, if you need to blow snow at times during the winter, than you'd want to look for a machine with high-flow hydraulics. It can be done with regular flow, but then you're limited to smaller number of snow blowers if you were going to look on the 'used' market. Do you have an existing trailer that it needs to fit onto (what is the size weight capacity?)? How much is the dealer asking for those machines ...what years are they and how many hrs? Do they offer financing, if that's important to you?? Have you looked at the auction sites like Machinery Trader ...or auctionTime? There's some risk buying at online auctions, but also the possibility of some great deals. Might allow you to buy a newer, larger ...or better machine, or one with a heated cab or high-flow hydraulics for the same $$. Everyone has their favorite skid steer. Although I've never owned one, something like a Gehl 4635/40, 5635/40 or 6635/40 with T-handle controls seems like you get a lot of machine for the money with those on the used market. They have some good features like good visibility and easy in/out, turbo and a lot of dealer support. I have an 1845C and they can last a long time if maintained well. What year is it and does it have a universal quick attach(probably should, but if it's an older one, plz verify). Ask the dealer to check the pins and bushings on those machines, expect some wear on the lower bushings, but if several are worn a lot, how much to replace (usually not cheap). If you want to level or grade sites for a pad or driveways, it's going to be tougher with worn parts.
Check your private messages. I found something in your area.. Take care.
I had a new holland lx565 years ago. That machine was awesome. Very productive for its size. My vote is for the LX665.
Something like this seems to be a lot of machine for the money: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/5524594390.html Turbo, heated cab .. the Gehl's loader arm design allows for really good side visibility compared to other skid loaders, the cab seating is somewhat 'forward' compared to others of the era (most have gone the cab-forward route these days). T-bar hand controls mean no messing around with foot controls, and ya don't have pedals to trip over getting in/out. I've never owned one, but have looked them over really well and know a guy who's used a lot of skid loaders that has good things to say about his Gehl. Guys around here that DO own them seem to like ...and replace them with new Gehls when the time comes. I'm not an advocate for Gehls, but in general, they seem to be a good unit for the money. I would consider one if I were in the 'hunt'.
If one of those skid loaders has an *insulated* heated cab ...and you plan to do some wintertime work, I'd give that unit a harder look. Few things are more miserable than sitting for hours in a freezing cold, all-metal cab on a cold winter day with the wind cutting through your body.
Thank you for all the input jeepwalker. Sorry for delay in getting back, have been out of town all weekend. The skid steer will have just occasional use. I have 3 backhoe loaders and 4 dozers and excavators and related equipment. Skid would be handy for working in tighter areas on jobs and around the shop. Never know, may find more use/work to do with it after we get one, just have never had anything that small of our own before. I can understand the whole cab thing fir cold weather usage. Have plowed snow around here since I was 13 - am 55 now and have been out in all types of weather and as we get older we appreciate cabs much more...lol. I know they say the 1845C is a solid machine - haven't heard any bad about New Holland either, which is why I asked about opinions on these two I am looking at. As mentioned in original post, both units have comparable hrs - 3,800 range - both comparable $ - Case has been used a lot harder and has had booms welded where front cross brace connects as well as many more dents, etc...
I would not buy a used skid steer with 3800 hours. Around here we could find a 2000 hour machine around $10-12k. If you don't have a skid steer now, you will love them once you own one. Handy as a shirt pocket and much easier to haul than a backhoe or dozer. Buy a mini ex and you may think about replacing a backhoe. Jmho
LOL, tdrainage.....many moons ago I ran into a local dairy farmer, had my Bobcat on the trailer. He said that they had no use for one, he was right, I think they have 3 now. You will find more uses than you imagined for one. Ed