Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

skid steer roll over

Big Jake ยท 2008-04-17 19:35

Just for the record, how many of you have ever rolled a skid steer?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies47
  1. #1nedly052008-04-17 21:07
  2. #2ShankFarm2008-05-20 20:54

    Just short of rolling Big Jake, Never rolled on completely but, several times flipped one frontward - more scary than real danger reality - Once the heart started agian I realized that a little down pressure would return all to normal

  3. #3bobcatrg2008-05-23 08:27

    There was a small article in the paper here Wed morning. A gentleman in a small town around here, I can't remember where exactly died running a skid steer. It said he was going up an incline with the bucket raised and flipped over backwards. Also not wearing a seat belt.So was partially ejected and crushed. Daily Oklahoman maybe Seminole,Ok? Bad deal!

  4. #4mark18mwm2009-01-25 08:56

    always been lucky,several times i should have. worst part is i knew that i could have and still took the chance.

  5. #5qball2009-01-25 09:47

    three times. two accidents, the third on a dare by the owner of the bobcat.

  6. #6tackletree2009-01-26 12:28

    i have seen one roll sideways. everything ok. operator was doing everything right but front tire hit a small sinkhole with bucket 1/4 raised with a small load. Goes to show that it can happen anytime anywhere.

  7. #7brabe2009-01-29 18:20

    coworker put a 863 on its nose smoked for a while but did not seem to damage it quite an experience

  8. #8Clayton M2009-01-29 22:04

    I hate skid steers cabs because theirs one way in and one way out. If something happens to block the exit your in trouble. I am very claustrophobic.

  9. #9bobcatmechanic2009-01-29 22:55

    put a 864 bobcat on its nose yeah thats a scary feeling going formard and it hurts hitting the front glass when it stops

  10. #10piv2009-01-29 23:01

    sorry, I'm lost I have to post 3 times before I can start a thread? I'm looking for help on an older NH L775. It won't move and everything else works. any help? thanks

  11. #11Steve Frazier2009-01-30 00:46

    My Cat 248 has the rear window set up as an emergency escape hatch, probably for that reason. There's a ring you can pull to zip the window molding out so it will push out.

  12. #12Bully2009-02-01 11:11

    Nosed a few over, never on purpose. I hate that feeling. Wheelied a few times, screwing around, nearly dumped it on one (stupid) attempt. ointhead

  13. #13bob61042009-02-08 17:31

    Newbie I'm also needing to post three time so that I can start a new thread... I've never dumped my bobcat but reading these posts I have made a new vow to use my seatbelt!

  14. #14bob61042009-02-08 17:35

    Second time Posting a second time...

  15. #15bob61042009-02-08 17:38

    And a third. Sorry to clutter things up but I really need to post a new thread!

  16. #16MAC-EX2009-02-08 20:20

    :waving ME, Leased a skid to a pier drilling company. Anyway, was on a good sized spoils pile and got too close to the edge! AND, see ya BROTHER. Shut her down. Picked her off her side with loader and....viola. Learning experience. Nother time with a 453 weenie skid. Simply was backing up and ran over a dirt clod...whooomp there she is; on her side.

  17. #17MAC-EX2009-02-08 20:22

    I know this is not a skid......but (Step-dad's rig)

  18. #18bill onthehill2009-02-09 06:52

    flopped an old bobcat on its side 35 years ago. Banged my head but did not hurt machine. Used the hoe to set it back up and waited for fluids to get back where they belonged and all was good. was finishing a sloped yard and backed over a clump of dirt with a rock hidden in it. taught me to us seat belts and lap bars.

  19. #19PhilD2009-02-22 18:33

    Nose dive in a Case 1845, Banged my head on the glass but the maching was fine

  20. #20dieselnut2009-02-22 18:40

    Never flipped my skid steer but came very close one day going over a stump i didn't know was there.

  21. #21CEM2009-03-30 22:51

    After picture I got into the loose dirt with my bucket about head high, Layed it on its side. Took the tractor, set it up on two wheels. Left it and took this picture. Nothing a tractor for stability and a wrecker couldnt resolve.

  22. #22Cat287B2009-03-31 06:52

    Good Thread I was running our 330cl, D6 and 287B yesterday, in a hurry with more rain on the way. I was trying to get 2 things done at once and had to move the 287 out to the haul road. Some one parked the 330 right in the way, so I started pulling down a pile of dirt between the 330 and a 6 foot drop off. Then I thought of this thread Got off the 287 walked 30'and moved the 330 out of the way so I could get by. Sometime you gota slow down to go faster. Yall think about this thread more often and maybe you wont be posting a picture of what happened to you. Thanks HEF

  23. #23toomacho2009-03-31 16:22

    made me think :yup I'm glad I took the time to read this thread. I will use the seat belt every time, not just when I think I need it from now on. Oh yeah, and get a hardhat!

  24. #24John K2009-04-01 09:02

    The CTLs have less of a chance to roll, true or not?

  25. #25Cat287B2009-04-01 22:04

    Make a pile of dirt 2 ft high and theres not much equipment you can't make roll over on it.

  26. #26lgammon2009-04-02 00:15

    i have had a few close calls but always saved them, but down the road about 4 miles a old guy in his 60-70s had a older bobcat skid. when they dug his basement they stocked piled the top soil. it was a a big pile they leveled off the top and caped it with clay to keep it dry. well we was trying to get some of it , so he gets on top of the pile and tries to scrap off the clay at the edge. well i guess it got a way from him and he did a front flip a couple of times. when it rolled it broke his neck and killed him instantly. kind of scary we put in his septic for him. his wife saw the whole thing really sad

  27. #27Wawrecker2009-04-02 13:54

    Doesnt take more than a 2x4 laying flat on the floor with a 453 equiped with narrow demo tires and its on its side.

  28. #28ReBob8082009-04-09 13:09

    Newbie needs to post Put my 1845C up on it's nose (normally hauling logs or rocks) regularly, get over backwards occasionally - not all the way over, just 8.5 on the pucker meter - never over sideways. Close but no cigar.

  29. #29ReBob8082009-04-09 13:11

    Newbie needs another post By the way, has anybody ever seen a skid steer loaded on a flatbed pickup without the use of any ramps? Want to?

  30. #30toomacho2009-04-09 13:19

    Saw it I saw the video you are talking about. No too smart doing that while there was traffic going by. With that said, it was very cool!

  31. #31mudmaker2009-04-09 23:12

    Were is the link??

  32. #32ReBob8082009-04-10 09:36

    Sorry, had to find it. I never saw this on YouTube, got it emailed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmnqrIW2Vw8

  33. #33mudmaker2009-04-10 10:22

    Thanks! That is quite the trick there. I think I'll stick with my trailer LOL!

  34. #34ja pop2009-04-12 20:29

    one time i was putting in the driveway for our new home in swampy ground i got the bobcat buried perpendicular to the driveway my buddy hauling the fill decided he could pull me out with a triaxle loaded with gravel, he hooked the chain to the bucket and proceeded to pull, do to the fact that i was perpendicular to the drive and skid steer tires dont turn i wound up on my side being pulled down the drive it was quite entertaining i must admit

  35. #35Psavas2009-05-19 13:39

    I've flipped her on her back a couple of times..than had to drag out the backhoe to pull her up right...It's really only scary the first couple of times

  36. #36Case 580e2009-05-19 14:44

    never happened but came very close to doing in

  37. #37Cal Blacksmith2009-06-01 11:21

    I've gone nose down a few times, nothing that the bucket didn't stop from flipping but a little pucker anyway. Another time, I was going up a grade forwards to pick up a bucket to load on the trailer (ya I know!) and hit a rut, started to go over backwards but a quick reverse and a spin kept the wheel side down. I had been going between a parked motorcycle and a 4 man 4wd ATV, I did miss both of them when it was all over but it was close. Always keep the heavy side uphill in one of these SS, they stay upright better that way!

  38. #38Losingweight2009-06-12 21:50

    I just drop one into canal... Got lucky it went sideways and ways able to get out. Had to pull it straight up with a big backhoe. Sorry to post off topic, but looking for some tech help It is a Bobcat 436, Any idea where I can get info on engine. . Anything under seat to worry about. The gauges where all full of water, sprays alternator with wd40. Oil was coming out of intake. I drained it and filled it with diesel, going work on it tomorrow. Trying to find how to get heater plugs or injector out so I can crank engine without breaking a rod. Any ideas will be appreciate .... And no pictures , we where too busy trying get things out before it sank further.

  39. #39bigmac52009-06-16 11:52

    Never rolled, but I agree, never go without your seatbelt.

  40. #40wbaker2009-06-17 14:57

    Haven't rolled in any way but only because of luck. I've had the ol' bobcat on two wheels more than I care to remember. However, now, when in doubt, I keep it low/slow.

  41. #41ben@g2g2009-06-23 12:23

    Came close, but never completely flipped.

  42. #42jtt5032009-06-26 10:11

    just posting a first time...thanks

  43. #43mml2018-03-14 22:01

    I rolled one on a summer job from college, had a lot of hours digging pools cleaning the deep end it was wet It was a rental that i wasn't use to working with (much narrower and not on tracks) made it from the deep end almost all the way started sliding backwards slid all the way down, cut the back tire popped it and that was all she wrote i was wearing the belt but hit my head hard against the cage. I was fine, 3 hours later we had the machine out after the boss brought over the big backhoe I pressure washed it then we called the rental company about the flat and mysterious sudden smoking. Fairly sure machine was fine. The last thing I was expecting was a roll. but the conditions weren't good enough to be digging. sadly this was before cellphone cameras so no pictures.

  44. #44DIYDAVE2018-03-15 20:42

    Wow, old thread, but still good... I only rolled 1 machine, in my life. It was an 816 gravely lawnmower, when I was like 14. Was pullin a cart, over loaded with cherry firewood, maybe a half a ton... Goin too damn fast, on a side hill, and the load started pushin me. Rolled that sumbiotch 4-5 times, it landed upside-down, was still runnin. I ran down the hill, and turned it off, and rolled it back over, by hand. Let it sit fer an hour, to let all the oil to go back down in the motor, pried the steerin wheel to more or less a circle, again, and other than a missin center cap on the steerin wheel, that were all the damage... Back about 12 or 13 year ago, when I got the ASV RC30, I did get ASV stamped backwards on my forehead, when I stopped sudden, with the bucket fulla dirt. Learned from that, too! No roll, but close...

  45. #45apetad2018-04-04 17:34
  46. #4662oliver2018-04-05 17:32

    I had a Bobcat 732 for 16 years, that was an amazing little machine, I always had the back wheels in the air as I was constantly over loading it. Big round bales, gravel, logs etc, that little guy just kept on going. Worse I had was dumping a bucket of crushed rock and stood it right on its face, remain calm, let go of the levers and push the boom back down and it went back on its wheels, haha. I went for a change of clothes. My son grew up running that machine from when he was 10 or 11, I told him if I ever saw him not wearing his seat belt in it he would be it for it. Haha, he is 29 now and owns that machine. I have a Case 90xt now, so no more of the face plants, that thing is solid as a rock. Never did flip the old Bobcat tho.

  47. #47m_ice2018-04-05 21:08

    I think this is mandatory on skids??? My bobcats all have them.