What's everybody using these days? I mainly do ranch work with the skid. Thinking Galaxy muddy buddy's but they are a little pricey.
the forums do not seem to be quite as active as they used to be. they say radial michelin is way to go if you got 12 inch tires. our tire guy sells a lot of the standard titan 7000 i believe it is. muddy buddy 10 inch is a little shorter than titan.
We tried the Michelins, they wore very well. Operators never "complained" about traction issues either, so they must have been happy. (is that possible?) Right now we are using Solideal Lifemaster SKZ. Again, no complaints about traction and they wear very well.
"Thinking Galaxy muddy buddy's but they are a little pricey" Well, you could try these, pretty much what I have on my machine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Galax...801019?hash=item419501dafb:g:v5MAAOSwEeFVOxlB http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Galax...801019?hash=item419501dafb:g:v5MAAOSwEeFVOxlB You might be able to change the tires yourself and save some install cost, if you don't mind doing it. I had to remove a tire on my machine to fix the rim. I thought it was going to be a real bear, but actually it was the easiest tire I ever took off or put on and I did it all by hand with a couple pry bars. No bead on my rims to fight with. I changed the front tire on my garden tractor last summer and, this is going to sound crazy, but that was a real fight compared to changing the skid loader tire. Prior to inflating the skid tire, I put a ratchet strap around the tire and cinched it down to keep the sidewalls out and it pumped up quick. Anyway, just sayin'...
Thanks for all the replys. Mine are 12x16.5, the XD2010 looks like it might be the best deal for me. I've been putting off getting tires because I would like a track machine but hsve just about decided to keep the tire machine and keep using the OTTs when it's wet.
Well, I wouldn't worry about that, if you find the 'right' track machine, it'll just make your skid loader easier to sell (with new tires) and it'll be worth more than with bad tires. New tires often means the owner cared to keep the machine good ....which, psychologically anyway, often translates to how the rest of the machine was maintained. All things being equal, I'd buy the machine with newer tires, even if it was a little higher priced. You're not talking a fortune there...
Check the tread depth on bargain tires. Some of the manufacturers short change us by selling new tires with very little depth.
That's a good point. I've noticed that too. Car/truck tires are the same way.
All good points. I need to get a set on the way. This was my first skid and the guy I bought it from kept telling me to watch it when I bought tires and not get junk tires, kept talking about tread depth. I actually bought 2 new Beefy Babys for the front already but one got the sidewall ripped open a few weeks ago.
These are a great bang for your buck. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HD-10X16-...578526?hash=item418f27195e:g:ZbwAAOSwmrlUwypO See their other listings as well. I have bought tire/wheel packages for a little more than local guys wanted for the tires only. Bolt them on and have a spare set mounted later.
when I bought my skidsteer It had the Michelin's and I thought great but then winter came and they are the biggest pos on snow and Ice I have ever seen and after several sets of tires a few steel fence posts in the sidewalls right now I think I am on about set #4 and this will be the last set I should ever need if you buy solid tires make sure they are mold on rim tires then they wont spin and come off going on 3 years with out a flat and they still look like new
I'm running "Regency" brand, they are Firestones made in Mexico. Same as my last set. I can get close to 1000 hours out of a set.......but, I'm the only operator and know you don't have to counter-rotate the machine every time you turn..... Just under 500.00 for the set. Ed
I've been eyeing them, I'm just apprehensive about not only getting the correct bolt and center hole pattern but the same offset as well. There never seems to be enough information in any of those ebay listings.
The bolt pattern/ center hole is almost as standard as the quick attach plate. Call the number on eBay they are very knowledgeable. They can help with the offset and any other questions.
The key to long life on the galaxy xd2010 is to keep your tire pressure down or else you'll wipe the center tread while the outer is still very deep. They r a mid grade tire. We run 30 up front, 35 rear in the 10's, and 40 front 45 rear in the 12's, unless the machine is constantly maxing out in ROC. The carlisle ultras can take quite a bit more psi since they r built with more rubber. Not as easy to cup in the centers.
Thanks for the info on the tire pressure. 99% of my use is on dirt and I have always kept 35psi in the beefy babys that are on the skid now. I wonder if uneven tire wear from front to back affects drive chain life much?
I don't think it's as good on the drive chains as having equal diameter tires, but I don't think it's overly taxing on them. Having different diameter tires actually wears the tires out much more quickly. I see guys making the frequent mistake of putting two new tires either on the front or back without realizing that most of the time they are going to shorten the life of those tires much more quickly since, in most cases, the new tire is significantly taller than the existing ones. Putting the two new tires on the same side will increase the tire life and put less wear on the drive chains. Most people don't realize that in a given size the diameter is often vastly different per each model or manufacturer of the tire. I've seen it vary up to two to three inches. So, theoretically you could measure your two good tire diameters and purchase two new tires of the same diameter (or close) and put them any where you want.