Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skidder 525B winch removal.

tift104 · 2021-08-12 12:20

Ok guys, I'm planning on removing the winch on a Cat 525B. There is a small 1/2 hose that goes into some sort of control valve bolted to the winch. This hose has constant flow when the machine is running. Then there is a larger maybe 3/4 inch hose coming out the bottom of the winch. I'm assuming the larger hose is a return line since there is a flow of oil that comes out where it connects when the machine is running. When I remove the winch should I connect the two hoses together with a fitting and bypass the winch totally? Im not sure the winch works since the electrical and shaft were unhooked when I bought the machine. This is going to be a spray tractor and I need the tank to sit as close to the frame as possible and removing the winch will bring it down another 8 inches. What would your recommendations be to remove the winch? Thankyou for your advice.

Replies5
  1. #1Mike L2021-08-12 19:36

    Unhook and cap them. Unless the hydraulic circuit is activated the. You shouldn’t have any high pressure and since you mentioned that the electrical is unhooked then I think you’ll be fine

  2. #2tift1042021-08-12 21:35

    Thanks Mike. That was my original plan but I guess I started overthinking it. The button may of been pushed when I took the hose off.

  3. #3John C.2021-08-14 10:30

    If you are not using the circuit you will likely have to remove the pump that feeds the upper line.

  4. #4Lonnie Varner2023-09-24 17:11
  5. #5Lonnie Varner2023-09-24 17:13

    I would be interested in buying the winch and controls if you removed it? Also, you would need to remove the pump, it's easy, and make a cover for it.