Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skim Patching

Grader4me ยท 2008-04-08 15:10

Thought that I would share a couple of pictures of us skim patching First picture is dumping the asphalt First pass with the grader Second and final pass Rolling it down

Replies11
  1. #1BrianHay2008-04-08 15:35

    Looking good, that's they way to do it. I often see crews out with just shovels and pails filling in just the potholes. They may as well not even bother.

  2. #2Countryboy2008-04-08 23:19

    Nice job. :drinkup That's a way better job than they do around here but we won't get into that little discussion.

  3. #3Grader4me2008-04-10 18:07

    Thanks guys! I'm the man behind the camera on this job, but the grader operator is one that I trained. Didn't take much..he's a natural. Leveling asphalt isn't rocket science, but it takes a good eye and proper technique.

  4. #4637slayer2008-04-20 16:43

    good pics, looks like a professional operation,i could almost smell that stinky stuff right through my computer lol.

  5. #5Grader4me2008-04-21 05:44

    Thanks! You're right about almost smelling it..

  6. #6Motor Grader2008-04-24 17:18

    What kind of grader are you running and where are you located. Grader looks like a green color. Reminds me of some machines we painted that went to Atlanta, GA.

  7. #7Grader4me2008-04-24 18:43

    That is a 1996 Champion 120VHP. It's green. We are slowly changing the color of our fleet to yellow. I don't have my own horse now..I just show others how to ride...

  8. #8Squizzy246B2008-04-24 18:58

    :lmao:lmao:lmao

  9. #9Grader4me2008-04-24 19:12

    More therapy needed?? Lol

  10. #10snowshoveler2008-04-24 20:17

    Even though I live only a few hundred miles away from Grader4me, we have none of that fancy asphalt stuff. way to high teck for us,all we have is something that looks like black paint. It gets sprayed pretty thin in places to. Chris

  11. #11Grader4me2008-04-25 05:33

    Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the forum. Really nothing fancy about it. It's called skim patching for a reason, as it's spread pretty thin in places. Main purpose is to prepare a road for reseal. We try to take most of the ruts and depressions out of the road with the asphalt, then the chipseal crew comes behind and reseals it. We still patch the potholes by hand I'm a little curious as to what method you are describing.