Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sky Trak 10054 Telehandler question

wlhequipment · 2019-04-04 13:25

Hi folks, I have a customer with a Sky Trak 10054. He's having problems with the leveling system. He can roll up to a building, for instance, level the platform, outriggers down, lift the load, bring the boom back, pick up the outriggers, and start to move the machine to a different location, and it blows the 10A fuse that runs the leveling system. When that happens, the rear axle is hydraulically locked in whatever position it was in when the fuse blew, and he can't level the machine again until he replaces the fuse. It's fairly consistent in this behavior. The fuse doesn't blow moving to a lift location in the morning, for instance, but it will blow after the lift, once he moves the machine again. This has me scratching my head. I can't get to him until late next week, so I thought I'd start looking for help here. Thanks for any and all help!

Replies7
  1. #1crane operator2019-04-04 20:33

    I think it may automatically lock the tilt on the rear axle when the boom telescopes out a little. Then when the boom is all the way in it will let it oscillate. I think they do that with a prox switch on the side or rear of the boom. But its been a while since I've been around one.

  2. #2wlhequipment2019-04-05 14:08

    Thank you sir for the input! I just heard back from the customer, and there is new information. So what is apparently happening is even if the Stabilitrak system isn't doing anything at all, just driving the thing around makes the fuse blow. Looking at the schematic, the only connection between the stabilitrak circuit and the drive (or the driver) is the neutral switch, the service brake switch, and the parking brake switch. Hmm. This is not a problem for Friday afternoon

  3. #392U 34062019-04-05 15:25

    I had that exact same issue a few years ago. Racking my brain here but the service brake switches (the 6 prong ones) are notorious for failing. I've seen some truely wonky stuff happen when they fail. Stuff like hard shifting and brake light issues. I'd definitely take a look at that switch. Up under dash above brake pedal. Most cases you can see they're physically burnt around the prongs but once in a while they look fine.

  4. #4Bls repair2019-04-05 17:04

    What type fuse does it use?

  5. #5wlhequipment2019-04-05 17:15

    Thanks 92U, I'll have a look at it. I don't know how the brake switches, or the neutral switch for that matter, could possibly cause problems because all they do is send power to a relay, activating the 'slower pivoting' portion of the circuit, but I can't rule anything out yet. I can certainly disconnect that wire and see if it still blows. That's more or less going to be my troubleshooting method - disconnect portions of the circuit until I can zero in on the branch that's causing problems. BLS - it's a 10A ATC.

  6. #6Bls repair2019-04-06 13:12

    I believe they make automatic resetting circuit breakers that fit in where the fuse goes . This isn’t a fix but will let you use the machine until you fix it.

  7. #7wlhequipment2019-04-06 14:39

    I didn't find automatic resetting ones, but I got him a resettable one. You just push a little button on top, and it resets. It's a flimsy little thing, and probably won't last long around construction guys, but that's the best I could do for him right now