Hello All, I am looking at a 5028 that will not go into reverse. This machine has a Ford transmission C6 I believe. I understand that this wasn't one of Skytrak's best tranny choices but anyway. I am guessing that this is a rather simple transmission repair/rebuild? Are there any HE members that can shed some light on this issue? Is this a decent machine? I am needing a boom lift for my metal fabrication business and this would work fine. The hour meter reads 5800 hours? I don't know how accurate the clock is? Thanks, Tom
Yes it is a C6 transmission so any good tranny shop should be able to fix it. The 5028 was ahead of its time and the market didn't know what to do with it, as a result didn't sell well. I spent a little time on one and the biggest issue I found was that it doesn't generate a lot of torque at the wheels. If you park it against a curb and then try to climb up...you won't be going anywhere. Couple that with the smaller tires and it wouldn't be good in mud. Otherwise it is loosely based on the 6036 so if it fits your needs I say go for it. ISZ
The later modles had a high / low range drop box behind the trany that could be operated by the operator with a switch on the dash. We have many of them rebiult and the mech seys that there are industrial clutch packs that can be installed in these.
Early model I believe Hello Guys, grandkobelco, I am guessing that this machine is an early model because it doesn't appear to have the High/Low box you are describing. Whats a little odd is that there is "H/L" labeled on the dash board but with out the switch I have used CAT, GradAll and other telehandler with this feature and am somewhat puzzled they left this option out. I talked with a guy yesterday that apparently has made his career lifts and he said that using this type of transmission was not Trak's best solution/choice. Thank you both for your advice. Tom
I would agree that the trany is the weak link in this machine but there are still a lot of them in service around here. The trany holds up well if not used to much in heavy mud ect. The serial number should be stamped in the location that you decribed, somtimes there are two sets of numbers there, scatch off the paint and check again. I have also seen them stamped in the top of the end boom section, near the nose, but this is a long shot. But buying parts for this machine should be prety e z, skytrak didn't make to many changes in them.
I know this is an old thread but its along the same lines so I don't see the point in starting a new one. We are currently running one of these and the drop box is really noisy. Is this normal for these machines? It is just the straight drop box. No hi/lo torque. I just can't seem to find someone around here that is familiar with them. (Sioux Falls SD). Its been an excellent telehandler for us but this is getting annoying. Any help would be much appreciated.