Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skytrak stalling

Karpntr ยท 2013-07-16 15:45

Hi, I am new to the site but love reading all the info., very helpful. I own a Skytrak 8042 and recently it has stalled on me a few times, once while driving (in 2nd, not high revs), and a couple times while lifting (I think I had the revs up some for faster retrieval). Is there something simple I am not seeing or doing?

Replies4
  1. #1grandkobelco2013-07-18 06:05

    If it has a inline 3/8 inch fuel filter, change it.

  2. #2Karpntr2013-07-19 21:28

    Did not find a 3/8" inline filter, is it hidden really well? However I changed both air filters, both main fuel filters, drained the fuel tank, blew out the lines, then cracked the fuel lines going into the fuel rail until fuel came out (with cranking), then cracked 2 of 4 injector lines. Got it running, yahoo! But, when i used it today it would hesitate when under a load. Like when going uphill. Is it possible that some air still remains and is causing this?

  3. #3willie592013-07-19 21:41

    Welcome to HEF Karpntr. :drinkup It sounds like you've done the proper initial things. Next, what engine? Maybe a 4 cyl Cummins? Might be lift pump is failing. If it's a Cummins, secondary fuel filter should be in the fuel flow after the lift pump. If you can get it to stall out real good, to the point engine either dies, or shut it down as it's really struggling to run, remove the secondary fuel filter and see if it's either full of fuel, or only partially full (air in filter). If it's only partially full, one would suspect you either have a hole in the fuel hose from tank or failing lift pump if in fact there's no in-line fuel filter.

  4. #4Knepptune2013-07-20 13:45

    If it has a cummins I would check the lift pump. Also put 5-10 psi in the fuel line. Soap connection and check for a leak on the suction side.