I have a 55ton sliding axle (travelling axle) trailer and move wheeled equipment, I would like to buy an excavator and was wondering if there was any issue with loading something with tracks. Can a guy throw down some rubber belting to protect the deck and load/unload no problem? 8 degree slope. I am not height limited here. Looking at a 20-25ton machine.
They have no particilar issue if the trailer is rated for it. We abused the crap out of a 3 axle slider pintle trailer up on Mt. Rainier and the procedure involved taking an operator (me) along to assist with the excavator.
Put rubber on the deck or just drive on the wood/rails?
Trailer is 10' wide.
we climbed whatever was there. Excavators are not that hard on wood decks with the smoother tracks. They usually rot out before we beat them to death out west. Like any load, you may put it farther forward to facilitate the axle slide, and then move it back where it belongs for the axle weights.
Do it all the time. We hire out our moves to a local towing company that has a built Pete and 3 axle Landoll. Without a doubt it's my first choice to move our 325 and 321. Regularly we'll put the D3 and 533 roller on the same load. This trailer has the apitong deck that's held up very well and our guy hauls a lot of equipment for contractors all over the state. I'd love to have one but we don't move enough to pay for one and don't want to be in the lowboy side hustle business to pay for one. Oh yeah - Welcome to the Forums Tg! Glad to have you.
Yes they are handy trailers for sure, thank you. 10' wide deck so very safe.
Nice tractor and trailer setup. Are those 22.5's on the trailer?
10' wide is nice. Non many run wide trailers in the states.
They can make for a wild ride with icy tracks and/or deck, but our local Cat rental stores use them for excavators up to 65k or so.
255/70r22.5 tires. We are good to 17.5’ height here on annual $360 permit, makes life a lot easier.
Ice? What's that?
Here in Missouri that would be a permit to move the empty trailer around, so nobody runs 10’ wide trailers here. And I know I’ve never seen a 10’ rollback trailer. Didn’t even know anyone made one. My rollback trailer is a 8’ wide paver trailer built by trail-eze. we throw down some conveyor belt when we load tracked equipment. Mine is only a tandem. But I’ve been looking at some Tri axle trailers. Mine doesn’t like to slide with more than about 30-35,000 lbs on it. Which I think is because we need to replace the main rollers. I’ve got the rollers bought , just need some extra time. Try to be careful if the trailer is sitting on a side slope, then it is easy to walk/slide off the side.
The one we load on is 8' wide so the 325 and 321 hang off each side but within the width allowed on an annual over width permit in AL.
Nice to have the track out there for road stabililty.
As CM said definitely my preferred choice of trailers for an excavator. We’ve had our 200 Komatsu moved plenty times with one of these. They’re a dream to load.
We hire out moves on our 210, it seems standard here is 10’ wide bed…so in our case 1” over each side.