Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slight hydraulic oil loss over 7 years

Branttractor · 2025-10-01 20:49

Have a Deere 17g, changed hydraulic filter twice now and it's just at 700 hours. It is now just at the low setting in the tank and I'm going to add to it. I have never noticed any leak, I dont know what the total loss would be over 7 years for it to be at the low setting, guessing maybe 25%? Is it worth just running with it or are there some obvious things I can check to see where this oil loss would have been?

Replies7
  1. #1Coaldust2025-10-01 21:49

    Top it off and report back in 7 years? I’ll mark my calendar. I’m pretty excited to hear how the trend develops. In the meantime, what else is new? What part of Canada are you at?

  2. #2Branttractor2025-10-01 22:17

    lol yes it’s the most exciting thing to happen to me lately. I am anxious to see how it works out after a top up I’m on west coast Vancouver island

  3. #3Coaldust2025-10-01 22:37

    Beautiful place. Welcome to the HEF. Lots of bigfoots running around on Vancouver Island. Do you run across any of those hairy beasts?

  4. #4Branttractor2025-10-01 23:01

    Nah my brother was going through a hard time once and said he saw some shape shifting otters though

  5. #5Coaldust2025-10-01 23:40

    Interesting. I hear the Kóoshdaa káa are real a-holes. Vancouver Island is a hot spot, for sure. The Queen Charlotte’s supposedly has them. Especially, the inside. You ever run into Steve Isdahl or Daron Clark on the Island? Local celebrities. I’d much rather encounter a Bigfoot any day. We call them hairy man up here in South-Central Ak.

  6. #6Branttractor2025-10-01 23:42

    No I don’t know of them. I’m sure it’s nice out where you are, everything is being developed where I am on mid island

  7. #7nikthewho2025-10-02 00:49

    25% loss over 700 hours is significant—you definitely have a leak, even if it's not obvious. Here's where to look: Common leak points: 1. Cylinder rod seals: Leaks past the wiper, oil collects in the boom/arm tubes and drips slowly when parked so check underneath after sitting overnight 2. Swing motor case drain: Often routes back to tank but can weep externally at fittings 3. Hydraulic tank breather/cap: Can wick oil out slowly, leaving residue you might miss 4. Hose connections under covers: Especially at the valve block and pump—spray degreaser, run it, then inspect Also check: Blade/bucket cylinders when fully extended—spray clean, cycle them, and look for fresh oil film. Don't just top off and ignore it. A slow leak will eventually become a fast one, and low oil causes pump cavitation/damage. Spend 30 minutes with degreaser and a flashlight—you'll likely find it pooling somewhere unexpected.