Got an L-tank Weatherguard brand with API electric pump on my 06 F-350 SRW reg cab 4x4 . It pops up in front of my Weatherguard toolbox and under it. I need to go to New York and I'm wondering what the deal on them are in Maine , New Hampshire , Mass , Conn & New York. I got told in Portsmouth NH tolls NHDOT inspection area that I need a placard last fall (1991? )?Then they took a fuel sample from my truck tank and slip tank ? No sooner do I get to , I think its maybe Georgetown exit and a Mass Statie waves me into a DOT inspection place. There they give me **** for no fire extinguisher markings on the outside of the truck. I have one mounted on the transmission tunnel and all.They also gave me no fine but scarred the bejuices out of me with idle comments about . They were some serious fellas...especially one McGrath officer , they spent more time lookin' at my trailer and break-a-way kit then only to tell me to get out of there .... What else do I need to do this trip , so it can be completed without hassels. Or should I just take the tank out ?
I would just take it out. no matter where ya go there will be different rules and regs. just as easy to leav it out plus id will take out the extra weight and you will get better millage.
If your fuel amounts to more than 300 lbs you have to be placarded. If you are travelling through NYC, you won't be permitted to pass through any of the tunnels.
While I cannot tellyou for sure (especially since 9/11 and the fact I dont run thourgh New York anymore) dont worry about a transfer tank. In all my years of running, I have never been bothered for having a placcard load and I have hauld agricultural tractors, combines, dozers, excavators, etc etc ON semis with dual 135 gallon tanks full. Some dozers will hold 150 gallons, 270 gallons on the truck and never been bothered. I do have hazmat on my license however never placcarded a load and never been bothered. There are so man laws and regulations and no matter what you do if the cop wants to he'll nail you. I have had cops that tel lme they could dot a brand new truck andfind faults so do your best and I wiouldnt worry about it.
I beleave the differance here is his tank is not plumbed into the trucks fuel system. if it is a transfer tank with over the 300 lb of fuel it can get a ticket but if it is plumbed into the trucks/equipment fuel system then it is concered part of the unit and can be most any size without placard requirements. Now I am not sure what the rules are if the tank was empty.
I dont know but how is hauling a transfer tank any different then hauling a piece of equipment with fuel in it???? Not trying to be smart but I dont see the difference your still hauling something that could be "deadly" "explosive" "used in terror" wich is waht hazmat is all about right?
I am confused on you guys #300 figuire. It is leagal to carry a 105 gallon transfer tank. Diesel weights approximatly #7. Btw I have same exact setup except my L shape tank isn't weather guard. Tool box is and gotta say do I like it.
I was told by a NY DOT cop that any hazardous material in excess of 300 lbs must be placarded.
"I was told by a NY DOT cop that any hazardous material in excess of 300 lbs must be placarded." Its weird how something like that can vary so much from state to state. In PA the placarding depends on the material. Explosives class 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, poison gas 2.3, dangerous when wet 4.3, poison inhalation hazard 6.1, radioactive 7. They all have to have placards no matter what amount is being carried. The other stuff including class 3 flammable liquids does not have to be placarded until there is 1001 lbs or more.
That #300 only comes out to 42.857 gallons. I needed to add 50 gallons to my skidder the other day.
Glad to see we are not the only country in the world which has laws which vary from state to state and locality to locality...However; Australia's implementation of the National Road Rules has been a big step forward...maybe something your governments should look at: http://www.ntc.gov.au/ViewPage.aspx?page=A02207505300940020 Up until recently these "Rules" where only the basis for legislation to be carried out by the States but the Heavy Vehicles stuff, whilst still undergoing implementation, is law Australia wide no matter the state. At least the truckies have some things which they can count on being the "law" all over Aus.... Now if only we could get the city councils to agree on what height constitutes engineeering in a retaining wall :spaz that would be no small miracles....good intentions aside...its just bueareaucratic BS
For us we can't carry anymore than 90 imperial gallons or two 45 gallon drums of diesel fuel. The tank needs to have a placard on it with the diesel fuel UN placard of 1202. The tank needs to be a certified fuel tank and the new ones are double walled. If your carrying more than 90 gallons then you need 4 placards one on the front one on the back and a placard on each side of the truck.