Just wondering who uses a Slope Meter#2 like me. And who uses something different. And of course how many of you just go by a trained eye, without any thing at all
I got a string with 1 end screwed just above the top center of my windshield about 2 1/2 ft. long with a nut tied to the free end. It sets on a small ledge at the top of the windshield till I need to use it. Then I just let the nut hang. it swings just in front of me left to right showing the angle the machine sets on the slope. cheap at 1/2 the price. less then .10 cents and works perfect.
I use one too and it works great. I don't think I'd buy stock in the company though with GPS technology available. I just put a Slope Meter #1 on a D6T to use on an embankment dam we're building. I'm not quite as fast as the Leica GPS controlled D5G that I used this past spring, but it still works.
Ya so true. I kinda wish I had a 770GP cause they have one built into the machine. Love that string one!!!! Too awesome
We have #1 on our grader, need to put one on the D6R, D9gdon where did you mount on the T? Thinking of a strong magnet mount for the hood right in front of the windshield.
I mounted it right above the right side window in the part of the ROPS that shows right under the headliner. I had to drill two 7/32 starter holes and use self tapping screws since it's pretty thick. I mounted it this way cause we used scrapers to build the embankment and I had to start my slopes at the toe stakes and run them up as we gained elevation. Sounds like you want it the other way. This one has one of the smallest slope meters I've ever seen stuck to the dash to the right (I think) of the digital service meter. It's a little green plastic one about 3 inches long and has a brand name like Speedy or Quicky or something like that. It measures in percent grade like the Sloper Meter #2.
When they first came out with smart levels, I got one of those and made some brackets and put one at the bottome of the windshield. You could program the lever for % of slope or Degrees. Of course you about had to come to a stop to get an accurate reading.
Ultra Triaxial non Automatic Level Meter I use the UTnAL Meter! The Ultra Triaxial non Automatic Level Meter is extremely accurate, but does require calibration using a glass of good whiskey placed on top of the meter. Once the calibration is complete the manual instructs to dispose of the contents in the glass :drinkup Be sure to keep plenty of calibrating fluid on hand. This little jewel was actually made for me by an engineer at Caterpillar as a going away present and now resides on my file cabinet as a great conversation piece. It always brings a good laugh from those who understand. In reality I use the Slope Meter 2. In the beginning I graded with no instruments; then back in the 80's I worked on a Hwy Project with another blade operator who was also a pilot and owned his own plane. He commented one day that running a blade was far more complex than flying his plane and he sure wouldn't try flying without instruments. He also noted the State DOT inspectors were using the same Slope Meter 2 mounted on a 10 foot straight edge to check our grade. He convinced me to try one and the rest is history. It's a great tool!
Call the coroner eh?
Randy..... That wooden meter/gauge is FANTASIC lol
I use the slope meter no. 2. I don't like using the slope meter "no. 1"
Either way they give alot for the $$, ordered another # 1 today for the D6, $150 to my door. Hard to beat for what it does. We trim cut slopes mainly, 2:1 , 3:1, 4:1 so the #1 works for us
Here's the one that's stuck to the dash on the D6T. It's right under the hour meter. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks/rv-levels.htm
Cheap enough, not sure where to mount yet, we'll see when it gets here, still thinking magnets either on the cab air cleaner guard right in front of the windshield or today I was eyeing the radio box as there isn't a radio in the 6R, right above your forehead if you're in the seat. Only thing about the radio box is it must be rubber mounted so maybe not constant enough
I HAD a No 1 Slope Meter, and mounted it on a magnet. I got the magnet from one of the floor "sweepers" sold at Home Depot for a few $$. I made up a little bracket to attach the meter to the magnet, then made up a little case for it. I could take it with me and would attach it to the dash or the hood, depending on the machine I was running, and it worked great. Too bad one of my now departed foremen decided he liked it better than I did. One day I will have to get another one. They are pretty handy to have around.
An old timer here says he just uses the seat of his pants but I have never been impressed with the amount of crown he puts on our gravel roads. I have an old Allis D grader that i use on driveway work. A couple of years ago my wife gave me a small level for Christmas and the level bubble happens to be adjustable with a gage in percent slope. It also has a couple of magnets so one day i decided to see if it would attach to the metal frame of the cab window. It sticks right in place and works great as a simple slope meter.
Never used a slope meter myself, Always got within +/- a tenth by eye. hoped on a 8T with gps and auto, and was able to run just as fast as going by sight
I think they are the handier than pockets in your underwear! We built 8 miles of new road into a new gold mine a few years ago and basicly did all the grade checking with SlopeMeter #2's mounted in the 8,9, and the two 14G's we had on the job. The whole road was a min. of 3% inslope with a max grade of 6%. I had the mechanic mount an extra SM 2 on the right side of the dozer's cab's, between the ripper and dozer control levers so the skinners could check to make sure the grade wasn't getting to steep.
Oh Really? Within a tenth of what??? A stake with a ribbon? A blue top? A grade checkers mark on the ground? How was this tolerance you’re claiming being inspected? A grade checker with an eye level and grade rod? A grade checker with a laser receiver and linker rod? A GPS Rover? A straightedge and ????? What? What was the testing instrument? To get on this motor grader section and make such a blanket statement IMO is pure B.S. This is my 38th year operating and I’ve seen many an individual show up and make the exact same statement to a foreman so as to get hired, then I watched the very next day as they got fired. They let their alligator mouth over ride their pussy cat @$$! I’ve worked with some awesome hands and I’ve never heard one of them make a statement like that. Any individual that claims he can maintain better grade or be more productive than a good GPS equipped dozer? Not buying it!! Every good cat skinner I’ve been around falls in love with the things. Grade control 100% of the time no matter where they go. Don’t have to wait on a grade checker to put in a stake or take a shot, just look at the screen. All I know is when you’re dealing with finish grade and motor graders, tenths doesn’t get you there. The Section 301 specifications in every State Bluebook I’ve ever read are the same; they give the spec in fractions of an inch or hundredths of a foot! “The finish surface shall be tested using a 10 foot straightedge at selected locations. (Generally the inspectors use a blue top/hub as the selected location) Limit surface deviation shall be 3/8 inch (nearly 2/100’), as measured from the testing edge of the straightedge between two contacts with the surface.” The only time I’ve ever seen an addendum written to the 301-3.03 specification is on runway shaping and compaction; then the addendum states to supplement 3/8 inch for ¼ inch (down to nearly 1/100‘ of surface deviation). This spec is right out of the AK DOT Bluebook, which every private and governmental contract references whether it is city, borough, county, state or Corp of Engineers. Before this shaping/grading spec can even be met you also have to meet the 98% density spec listed just two paragraphs above. Before the density spec can be met you have to first pass the sieve analysis specs in section 703. Any fool that thinks he can meet or maintain these specifications on an hourly basis with no assistance from instruments or a grade checkers needs to be drug tested because they must be smoking something! The specs where all tighten up years ago because of advancements in equipment, technology and instrumentation. I’ve had to maintain these specifications on several highway and runway projects and all I can say is; IT AIN’T EASY. At the end of the day I’m exhausted from total focus. :drinkup Regards, Randy
Yair . . . Sorry to the original poster for going o/t but for Randy Krieg and any others out there who are finish grading every day . . . . On other threads I have mentioned what I see to be incorrect and inadequate methods used to achieve finished grade on highway reconstruction using GPS. Yesterday I was stuck for ten minutes in traffic and was able to watch a very nice 140M chasing maybe an inch. He was running out the gravel and getting segregation along the blade . . . the larger fractions (as you would expect) were working to the outside leaving behind the fines. . . then they hit it with the water truck and attempted to incorporate it into the surface with a smooth drum vibrating roller. I see this all the time . . . and unless the world has changed in the last thirty years it isn't going to work. I see the new bitumen surface failing and we are back to speed restrictions within a month of the reseal. I am no grader hand but I was always told you have to get to finish grade from the top down . . . in other words end up with the compacted level a tad high and cut it down to the bluetops. I have seen the old Cat twelves struggling to cut fills we whacked with a fifty ton sheepsfoot behind a D8 . . . I'm buggared if I can see how the little vibratory rollers they use these days could get the same compaction, they don't even run them untill they "walk out" and get that characteristic rumble. But then everyone tells me I'm locked in a time warp. LOL Cheers.
Not really on topic true, but not really off topic either.........sure has made for good reading
I have used the level app on my iPhone. Little to jumpy but got the job done. I also like watching those super operators for a day or two.
What's the app called? Is it a "grade" level app?
"Water level". You have to stop for an accurate reading and it is in degrees. Haven't found one in slope form yet so you have to find a conversion for what you are doing and put it in degrees.
I'm going to have to stand behind Randy as well. You can not "Blue Top" without the help of something. Granted when you work on a grader day after day doing the same kind of work you will develope a bubble in your ass. I used to be able to tell my grade checker when there was a bust in my stakes because of my bubbly ass... But if you don't start off on grade you are not going to have anything after that on grade. I have used wiskers on blue top hubs and love that but here in Missouri it is very rocky and it is a surveyors nightmare. Most street and highway jobs are done by stringline and ruler. Of course we are behind here and just now getting into GPS and Total station. And withing a ten does not apply here as well. Subgrade is usually 1/2' up or down. So you have 1" total but has to be no more than 1/2" either way. Base grade for asphalt is 1/2" total or 1/4" up or down. Now Concrete is a SOB... It is 1/4" total. 1/8" up or down. I keep telling our mechanics (who doesn't know a tight blade from a hole in the ground) that my machine has to be very tight for doing this. They will bring my grader out and have 1/2 play in the circle or moldboard and tell me it's good. No wonder all blade men have a temper huh? I have always heard that a good blade man is a bitchy blade man. Does that apply to anyone else . I have developed shingles from being so nerve racked on a job before. I hate loose blades. I too have been in dirt work for 38 -39 years. Getting close to retirement so I won't have to be grippy any more hahaha. Another thing I heard but don't know the facts. Our union states that to be able to be a good blade man usually takes 6 years of experience. Has anyone else heard that? Hey everyone. be happy and have a great day!!!:drinkup
Randys Rath! Way to set him straight Randy! I met your son at crane class last week.He is a nice young man. I made a magnet strip also.Now, I have a 9K and a 70D. The 8T is between them.Made from about 1945 to 1955 I guess.Does anyone have a picture of a 8T with GPS. This is the grader thread isn't it?:tong
Lol, When you dont have a grade checker with you 24/7 and have a ton of slope to do, i dont have time to sit and wait. 9 times out of 10 ill have a grade checker come in after me and run stakes, out here slopes are +/- 3 tenths so to hit that close is right on and i dont have to sit and wait. most the time im on a dozer doing it but then there will be times that i have to make due on a blade and get the same results. GPS is nice dont get me wrong, but its only as good as the guy in the office thats building the models. if he is off on the contours well you have to go back over it and spend more time with a grade checker holding your hand. Ive been on equipment since i was 13 and have worked for one of the biggest companies in socal for over a decade. now if i wasnt any good or had a big mouth i wouldnt of lasted just like you have seen. but the reason ive stayed on in these times was because i didnt need a babysitter. Throw mw on a 140 or a dozer and ill show you im not just all talk.
Curious is to how Randy set me straight??? When you are starting a slope there are control stakes and hubs that set the top, if you know what a 2:1 or a 3,4,5:1 feels like then you dont really need someone to babysit you. As long as you have control when you start thats really all you need But ya he showed me hahaha
Your first post did say +- a tenth
Yes it did, Thats because im within a tenth either way
Just Curious? AP Is dozing or grading Kryptonite anything like the soils we humans work with here on Earth? Would a “Slopemeter” even work on your planet or is the gravity such that the meter would always read 0? Not like I’ll ever get to go there, just curious… Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong planet??? Anyways it must be awesome not needing a lowboy to move your 8T, you just pick it up and fly with it like I saw you did with that school bus in the movie. Wow…now that was cool! Best Regards, Randy
must be the GOOD calibration fluid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have permently mounted slope meters on all of our blades or dozers. I forget which model they are, but all of our machines don't leave the shop without one. We never know who will be in the seat from day to day, so if they don't know how to use the GPS, or the GPS breaks, they can always rely on the slope meter. At least they can still be productive and hopefully in a good way. lol
Hey randy, now see ure the type of operator i loved to mess with...set in there ways, no matter what you are right and im just a young dumb kid who "thinks" i know what im doing. i aint superman, and i aint the best, if you were out this way this would be easy as i would just jump on something and you would change your mind on what your sayin. Ive had to deal with operators that said the same things to me that were like you said full of ****, well the difference is i can back it up and do what i say i can. if anyone on here knows anything about Pinnick Inc. (Signs & Pinnick) they would know how picky they are and they dont keep sub par operators for more than 2 hours, I was there for 11 years.
Nice Keep goin.......... You can go back through the years of my posts on this forum and you will see where I provide an example, an idea, a thought, a way of doing it and clear photographs when available to help the viewer comprehend. It wasn't very often if ever that I said; this is the only way or it’s my way or the highway. I don’t have knowledge of all the variables/materials that others are dealing with so maybe they can use the idea and maybe they can’t. I share my experience and knowledge especially when I’m asked to by other members. I appreciate very much the sharing of knowledge and ideas by the other members. I’ve gained some good usable knowledge on HEF and made some good friends. There are some extremely talented individuals on this forum and they are easy to spot; you can tell by the way they describe their experiences, share their knowledge and some have great attention to detail. You don’t come across as one of those individuals IMO. You clearly stated I’m so damn good I don’t need instruments or help . You stepped in it right up to your sack and now you’re just about to drown in your own swill. You went from being off a tenth to being off three tenths in just two postings; at that rate you’ll be off by a foot with a few more notes! Just by reading and studying on this forum I learned how to solve a pulsing throttle problem on a D8K ! It doesn’t get any better than that. I know from responses and several PMs that I’ve received that I've helped some HEF members solve their motor grader issues. I’ve read back over your post now and I’m trying figure out how your comment helped anyone other than yourself? Did I miss something? I have some experience with Signs and Pinnick as I shipped them prototype components from Joliet LMP through the local Caterpillar Dealer to test on their 16Hs. Last I checked Pinnick still has a 16 foot prototype two piece step formed moldboard I sent them. I’m a 4th generation operator and now my own son is an operator. I’ve spent my entire life around construction hands and as I said before I’ve never heard a good hand make a comment like you made and like you continue to reiterate. I guarantee you’re not going to just jump on anything and change my mind and for the record “WAS” is past tense! Best Regards, Randy
Prolly time for you to back down Ap.
I think we need to bring the slope meters back to level in here.
I clearly stated that i havent used a meter before........i have always gotten within a tenth without it..............and was able to stay just as productive as an 8 with gps. so as im learning this forum you have to be on a knats ass with every word you type and simply spell it out so there is no confusion. im sorry i didnt know this site was for teamsters and truck drivers. Ive also been around this since pretty much i was in diapers and by the time i was 18 i was running 500k yard jobs. Now i didnt get there by yapping my mouth on how good i was.....i got there from studying my dad on how he got things done when i was a kid and jumping on equipment when i was 12 and every summer there on untill i was 16 and then started working full time. Ok now you have helped a ton of people on here, ok i respect that, but when you want to go after someone whom you have no clue of who they are or any experiance they have, well thats when it starts to roll out the window with me. Now if you took my comment as im better than anyone else and dont need help, well i guess i didnt spell it out enough for ya there. Ya i WAS there for 11 years and WAS making 4 an hour above scale. If there was still work out here like there was 5 years ago then i would still be there.
AquaPaint, I can only assume one of two things; 1)you didn't "catch my drift", or 2)you have chosen to ignore "my drift". When I say "bring the slope meters back to level", I mean all parties involved, I'm not taking favorites with any involved. Back down or I'll lock it down. But I do have this one comment that I take issue with, and it's not a Union or non-Union thing, it's just the comment that rubs me; A provocative comment like that, posted by you yourself, kinda does put the onus on you don't ya think? Again, respectfully I ask all parties involved, bring the slope meters back to level in here.
i was typing the reply when you posted that, if i had read it i would have stoped and not gone any further
I think everyone has made their point here. Long standing members should be respected, this forum is about sharing ideas and common interests. As soon as it becomes a conflict and arguementative everyone should take a step back. Any junior members that fan the fire get treated accordingly. regards, Cd
Level it is. I like the idea of getting back to level and getting along! On a positive note we just learned that we are the lower bidder on an AKDOT Emergency Slide Repair job on the Glen Hwy. Now we get to go see if we can bring that hwy back to level. It is literally sliding off the side of the mountain towards the river nearly 500 feet below. This is going to be an awesome challenging project! Get out the calibration fluid, diesel fuel, dynamite and the iron and start celebrating…… 770G sorry I highjacked your thread for a moment...just wanted to share our excitement with the HEF motor grader friends. Regards, Randy
How bout this one on the 6R, not a grader but hey, it's a slope meter thread. Although I can usually cut a 3:1 to +or- 0.10 blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back.
Excellent mounting Dan. Kinda hard on a stereo though. Which model is that?
Randy , is that slide close to the spot they blasted all the rock a couple years back?
Meter#1, there wasn't a radio, didn't plan on installing one. Sorry about the ugly dude in the mirror LOL
A buddy of mine that i worked with had a set of these Agridrain Grade Gauges one was percentage and the other slope. Here is a link to the website http://www.agridrain.com/surveyproduct.asp?prodtype=409
I have to tell this story, We had a two jobs that were end to end. We were working both of them at the same time. The problem was that one job was set up using standard tenths/foot measurements and the other was MM/Meters. We had a fairly new grade checker and he was working the slopes on the standard method. When we got into the other job that was metric we told him that he had to check that different because it was a metric job. Yeah I know, we were mean. It took the poor guy about 4 hours to realize we was messing with him. 2:1 is 2:1 it doesn't matter if you use a ball bat to check it. I can still see him shaking his head.
I ran a 12G once that had a big dial type slope meter. Wish I had a picture of it. It was mounted on the frame outside in front of the window between the lift cylinders. It had a big round indicator. I would guess it was about 8 inches circumferance. Anybody seen anything like that?
Randy, are you going back to building ice roads this year or was that just one contract?
Radrock Yes we will be doing the Badami Iceroad again and one other for another oil company. They just started the prepacking phase on Badami this week so I think by the end of Nov. the construction phase will begin. Just needs to get a little colder and the ice on the lakes needs to get thicker. This winter we will also be doing some cold weather testing for Caterpillar, just adding a little more to the challenge! Regards, Randy
No worries Randy high jack away
I use them on my Bobcat. I mounted the Slope Meter's on heavy retrieval magnets from Harbor Freight Tools. The back plate is attached to the magnet with one bolt so it can pivot side to side. I added a piece of aluminum angle and two adjustment bolts to the Slope Meter back plate. The bolts have springs under the heads to keep the bolts from vibrating loose. This allows me to fine adjust the Slope Meter to level no matter where I choose to set the magnet. To adjust the Slope Meter to level, park on something firm and note the reading. Pull away, make a u-turn and park in the same spot facing the opposite direction. Note the reading and adjust the Slope Meter to the midpoint of the two readings. I bought a box of 5 Slopemeters at an auction, (No 1's and No 2's) for $15.00! Three were new and still in the box. I was glad to have them after I bought a Bobcat Industrial Grader Attachment. I use 2, one to check cross-slope and a second at 90° to check slope along cut. They sure help, especially with the short wheelbase.
That sir is a deal!!
Well make sure you take pictures again this year. Those were sure interesting last year. I built a lot of oil field roads but not on ice... Sure wish I had that 14 you had up there. I ran the old 16 G all day today. Boy that thing has seen it's day. I think it is a 1972 model, maybe 74. The company bought it about 16 years ago pretty cheap so they can't complain about it. I don't think the motor has ever been touched. It was rebuilt when they bought it.
I had one of the Agri-Drain meters (GG3000) in my 143H, and I was never as happy with it as I was with my Original Slope Meter in my G. It seemed to hang up at times, and then break loose and travel further than you thought it should. The best setup that I had was a #1 mounted above a #2. Riding steeper slopes, it was easy to spot the ball in the #1, and when doing fine grading, I always had time to check the #2. I'm not sure how important it is to follow ALL of the installation instructions, but I tried. Even splitting the air bubble in half before mounting. Auxiliary attachments, tire air pressure, and cutting on one side more than the other will also influence meter accuracy. Sometimes you need to see it, and feel it with your A.S.S. (Anatomical Slope Sensor) smoothoperator
TriHonu 15 bucks Holy Crap!!!!!!!! Nice find
Excellent Point Excellent point; especially when running with standard size radial tires. The side wall deflection will drive you crazy if you’re trying to use the meter when the moldboard is in the ground. The wide-base tires and P-Metric Series don’t have near the deflection so the meter stays closer to what the moldboard is actually building, even when cutting hard on one side. I've finished hundreds of miles of recycled asphalt, another one that can fool you if you're not using all the sensors. Glancing at the slope meter, watching the lights, listening to the fuel knock, feeling pressure on one cheek vs the other, looking down the grade........ Many times I’ve just back down the previous pass and watched the meter to be sure. When we did the Federal Express 747 parking aprons some of the cross slope was only .32% (less than ½ %). On several areas I just drove around on the apron watching the meter which was barely off of 0, if I saw the meter moving around too much we would set up some swede rods and try to find my screw up. Just a few hundredths off and you’ve got a duck pond in the middle of the apron. Once it’s black you can’t go back! Regards, Randy
Randy, you sure drive nice and straight, that's an important part of running a blade. I have one guy who can't so I keep him off any finish work just for that reason.
Nice & Straight....... DPete Practice Practice Practice Practice ; no matter what we're doing with these 6 wheeled geometric tools, we're always trying to maintain some kind of consistent line (horizontal or vertical) or some kind of consistent pattern. We're always trying to get just as close as we can to some object without making contact, hour after hour. Even when we're just dragging our rears around we want those lines to look GOOD! I've always told my students when I'm teaching the finishing class "You change your line and you change your cross slope". Regards, Randy
What is the purpose of draging your rear in the last picture?
Finishing Recycled Asphalt George That’s recycled asphalt I’m working with in that picture. When we’re laying it back out, processing it with water and sometimes more emulsion it starts to bind to itself really fast. Especially when the pilot car brings a string of traffic through the job and they have about a dozen tourist motorhomes. If you’re trying to cut a few hundredths it wants to shear off the entire layer of RAP rather than trim off, so ripping it with Kennametal teeth is required to keep it manageable. Sometimes we run the Kennametal teeth on the moldboard. We are constantly directing the pilot cars where to try and run their traffic to help us with the procedure. Notice the white pie plates on the left shoulder (in the original ripping picture); this is a transition area from normal crown (NC) to super elevation/full super (FS), the cross-slope percentages are written on the pie-plates (example. NC, -2,-1, 0, +1, +2……. FS+6). The job was originally (1970s) in asphalt which we milled up, but was being resurfaced in chip-seal. All of the transitions had to be shortened from their original design length since chip-seal does not shed water as effectively as asphalt. The point is to make the 0% area shorter to prevent water standing on the road, which can form ice at an extremely critical area; right where traffic is starting to turn. The old design also had these transitions 1/2 in and ½ out and the new standard is 2/3 out and 1/3 in figured from the PT and/or PC. So you have to move a lot of material around to make it ride nice and match the plates. Again ripping and shaving/trimming is required. The AKDOT R.E. gives us a “Super Transition Summary Sheet, which shows the formula for each transition and list the station number for the Point of Tangent (PT) and for the Point of Curve (PC). My grade checker has to map it all out on the ground and make sure the plates are set exactly the same distance apart for each 1% of change. As soon I’m finished with a section the inspectors usually check the transitions with a “Slopemeter” or a digital “Smartlevel” and they also drive it at posted speed. Some of the old inspectors still us Swede Rods, an eye level and grade rod. Regards, Randy
Oh yeah I see the pie plates. I use to use styrofoam cups to mark them. I never used a trimble like you have. We have a sonic master. It worked off sting line. We would set three strings. One in the crown and the other two on the outside. I've often thought the trimble was better as more people seem to use them. Do you just dial in the grade when you get next to the pie plates? I guess you have toggle switches don't you? The Sonic master has a dial. You can program it to to change .1% up to 1% (If I remember right) and then you can push the knob in and turn it and it would increase 10X I like how they have the blade attached to the rippers. Is that home made? That looks like it would be fun material to work with. Are you operating that M blade or did you just take the picture?
Thx for sharing those pics randy!! Now off the my deer stand
Transitions and Offsets Radrock “Sonic Master” aka “Laser Alignment”, a very good system, but I’m not sure if they’re still around? Does anyone know? The Trimble systems, both the old “BladePro” and present “GCS” Systems” also use sonic tracers and nearly the same technology; they record the speed of sound (a fairly constant time frame) and make adjustments accordingly. I know Trimble uses thermistors in their Sonic’s head to sense the difference in temperature, one of nature’s elements, which affects the speed of sound. The thermistor sends information to the computer, which adjusts the time frames automatically as the ambient temperature changes and I believe the other manufactures use the same technology. I’ve read about the differences between the different manufacturers in the past, but I can’t remember the exact details on how each one solves the natural element problem. In regards to finishing the transitions; sometimes they bluetop/hub just the point of rotation line on the road. Depending on the DOT Region (Southeastern, Central or Northern) is what determines where the road rotates. Different division/engineers have different theories on which design is appropriate. Central Division likes to rotate road transitions around the inside shoulder and it seems that Northern likes to rotate around centerline. The point of rotation is the line they or we will bluetop. So I run one side manually while toggling the other side according to the plates. Yes; the Trimble H Series system does use toggle switches, the slope offset/elevation switch is in the front row and the activation switch is on the moldboard control level. The old Blade Pro system had just one offset switch; it would automatically switch sides when you changed the slope control from side to side. The later model GCS system now has two offset/elevation switches, one on each side. One on the articulation control and the other is on the moldboard tip control. The factory offset/elevation system on the M Series is a set of buttons, which can be seen near the base of the joystick and to the right. This is an antiquated setup and frustrating to use. We installed these custom Trimble pods with an offset toggle (like the H Series) and an activation button so now I don’t have to take my hand off the joystick while toggling through a transition. I mounted them backwards so I toggle with my thumb instead of my index finger. With all the Trimble systems you can go into the customize menu and program the switches to your liking or application; I usually leave the grade side set at 1/100 increments change and I program the slope offset switch to .2% increment change. With the slope switch set at .2% increment it’s just a matter of maintaining the right ground speed for that setting. If it’s set at point .1% and you’re finishing in the outside lane then you’ll have to hit the switch 90 times when going from a 3% normal crown to a 6% full super, programing the switch to .2% cuts that in half, but you have to maintain speed accordingly. In regards to operating the M, I spend a fair amount of time on them. We have both Hs & Ms so I jump back and fourth quite often. Have a good deer hunt! I'm headed to the garage to wrench on my hot rod. 770G, glad you enjoyed those pictures. :drinkup Regards, Randy
Aww pictures are always great. I can tell you are way ahead of me on using all this fancy equipment. Our Sonic Master is phased out but laser Alignment is off to new and better technology. Yes the Sonic head had an extra sensor for Temperature and humidity. Laser Alignment offered to buy our equipment as a lot of it got tore up in the Joplin Tornado last year and most does not work now. I still have the tilt sensors and blade angle sensor, and hydraulic manifold on my blade. I have been operating an D-8T dozer for the last five years and they have not used the blade too much but someone has tore all of the cables off now as well. Heck when it was working it was nice to just use as a slope indicator. I would turn one side on auto and just control the one side. It was really nice for making 4' flat bottom ditches where you could not see the heal of the blade. We had a laser sensor as well and it was terrific for doing building pads. I loved that work. No grade checker to worry about. Wish I had taken lots of pictures like you have. I did a job several years ago (freehand) on a state Hwy that was what they called a double spiral. Basically that was going into a super with one station at normal crown and then reversed the super the oposite direction. It was a secondary highway as any new major highways would try to keep from doing that. I'm sure you have been in a case like that one too. We did the old fashion way of checking grades then. String line and rulers. We had all of the strings tied up for the inspector to come and check the grade and that was pretty neat looking at all of those strings. Again, Wish I had taken some picture. Heck I don't thing they even had fancy cell phones back then. Or digital cameras for that matter. Well time to head out and play on the tractor. Have a great Saturday.
Wow, nice find...10% of new price for one meter. I'd like to put a No. 1 Slopemeter on my D6 but wasn't sure where to mount it...on dash or back of blade. Not sure if I could see it well enough on the blade and if I could guard it enough to keep from destroying it. Not trying to do precise slopes....just something to get me close and to keep a consistant slope. Any more comments on the Agri-Drain grade guage?...half the price as long as it is durable enough. I like the fact that it goes steeper than a 2:1. Don't want to grade steeper than 2:1, just like to know if I'm getting steeper than that...No. 1 SlopeMeter would bottom out at 2:1. http://www.agridrain.com/moreinfo/409/css/Grade Gauges.jpg
Got one of the Agri-Drain slope gauges today. (zero to 1:1 range) Has all plastic case, but doesn't look too bad. Ball moves smoothly in thick fluid so it won't be jumpy. Won't be suitable for mounting other than on dash, but that's probably best anyway. I figure I'll make up a magnetic base so I can pull it off easily.
Here are some pics of where I have my slope meter on my grader. It measures 0 to 5% slope. It cost $20 au.
ive worked with blades for years, i should say for them, since you blade guys are kinda bossy, just kidding, the only thing more important than not dusting out the hot flagger is making sure the bladehand is happy. is there an easy way to convert the slope meter to 3,4,5, to 1? i get to run a blade once in a while and have no idea about the percents. although my road building days are over when i run the blade i like to practice. i build ditches and things put slopes on stuff with my scraper things no one sees, the closest thing i get to the gratifying o.k. sign from the gradechecker right before he reaches for lathe to pound in is running the blade over my work to to use the slopemeter.
637slayer No 1 is for you. 637slayer Slope Meter No 1 is what you're looking for http://www.slopemeter.com/mechanicalslopemeters.html It's also picture on the previous page of this thread by HEF member TriHonu. TriHonu's picture is actually better than the webpage photo. The numbers/scale on the Number 1 Meter represent the Slope Ratio (eg; 8:1, 7:1........1:1). On the Number 2 Meter the numbers represent percentage of slope; that's why the two meters appear to read opposite of each other when held side by side. Generally we use the Number 1 meter on dozers and the Number 2 on the graders. I have been on a TS-14B which had the Number 1 Meter mounted on the Draft Tube, actually worked pretty good there. Regards, Randy
thankyou Randy,in the pic where you were cutting the asphalt what did you use to cut it first? surely it wouldnt peel away so nicely without being cut first? or are you that talented ? we used to put an asphalt cutting wheel that would fit in a ripper shank hole, but there is no way he could of gone that straight next to an edge making such a narrow cut? really enjoy your pics and posts.
I have Hoppy RV levels in the motor grader. They are small and I don't know how accrate they are but they give an idea where I'm at when grading our township roads.
Off topic but couldn't resist.... I was going through some documentation for some of our new operators and remembered this...Randy in his younger years. Thanks again for all the great information you have shared with us.
That's a pretty kewl post. I know Randy is always there with some interesting stuff. On a second note: everyone have a "Merry Christmas"
Alberta and Radrock Thanks for those nice comments. There is a typo in that little bio there, it was actually 1998 when I resigned so that I could return to Alaska. Even after all these years we're still doing work for them. Last year and this year I was at both the Peoria and Tucson Proving Grounds testing machines and just yesterday my wife and I went in to see our new toy which just arrived on the ship. Though I'm not allowed to talk about the machine in any detail I can share that we will be performing some special cold weather testing for Caterpillar on the North Slope this winter. The machine just arrived this week and is being prepped. It will be an awesome program and another great challenge. Merry Christmas and looking forward to another great year, Randy
Can't wait to see what the equipment is. Keep us posted.