Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slow Backhoe Boom

digits ยท 2007-06-02 02:22

I recently purchased a '99 John Deere 310E and have noticed that the boom is very slow to come back up after going down and it becomes even slower when the extend-a-hoe is extended. Also I have noticed that after sitting for a couple days the extend-a-hoe will slip down until the bucket rests on the ground. I am new to owning equipment and was wondering what the cause of these conditions could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1Countryboy2007-06-02 03:28

    Sounds to me like your boom cylinder might need to be repacked. Have you noticed any seepage from around the cylinder seal? The fluid could also be slowly bypassing one of the inner seals inside the cylinder. How many hours does it have on it?

  2. #2Steve Frazier2007-06-02 07:44

    It's not uncommon for a hydraulic circuit to settle out over time, it can either leak past the seal like Countryboy mentioned or past a valve. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless the rate of movement becomes so bad that you can see it. My Cat 248 will creak while settling if I am parked with a bucketful of material. The boom problem could be the result of a few different reasons. The actuator valve may not be opening completely, or a line could be pinched somewhere restricting flow. The pump might be worn and not providing sufficient pressure. Just a few things to check.

  3. #3digits2007-06-02 11:01

    Thanks guys i'll look into those things and see if I can't figure out what the problem is. Countryboy, the hoe has about 2700 hours on it. Once again thanks for the advice and I will let you know what I find out.

  4. #4Ross2007-06-02 11:57

    Never worked on Deere 310E. Never seen any this side of the water. Similar encounters with this sort of problem. First thing ide Replace would be the AR valves. Most common cause of cylinder creap i found when it comes to extra dig or extend - a - hoe. Probably Had a pecker on it. Ross

  5. #5Squizzy246B2007-06-02 12:20

    G,day Ross, It might be better if you used "Breaker" or "Hammer"...so as to avoid any cross cultural confusion That way people know you are talking about an attachment on the machine......not the operator

  6. #6Ross2007-06-02 12:28

    G/Day to you as well Sorry for the cross cultural confusion. Just the way things flow out when iam thinking. Very comical. Althou i have encounted a few of them as well Try swapping the AR's about. Ross

  7. #7Nick Drew2007-06-02 15:16

    Hi Squizzy, Yet another "Squizzy" Classic!!! I was laughing so much I nearly wet myself!!:lmao :lmao :lmao Nick:drinkup

  8. #8tuney4432007-06-03 16:47

    The drifting down of your Xtend-a-hoe is common--all mine have have done it including my almost new 410G.Those cylinders are relatively small and your asking them not to creep with all the weight hanging on them--won't happen.

  9. #9truearthworks2007-06-03 17:59

    hey digits. i to have a 99 310e and the e-hoe bleeds off. it doesnt effect the performance at all. my outriggers also bleed off a little just have to be sure to check them if the hoe is on the trailer before i take off

  10. #10mackdj2007-07-14 13:11

    Slow boom I seem to have this same problem with the 4in1 bucket on my Deere. I think the cylinder is in need of rebuilding or new seals. Good luck.

  11. #11C.Alford2007-11-14 00:19

    What they said... Have a 310 C and SE both E-Stick they will bleed down not to worry. Also, watch out for the peckers...