Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slow Buckets Deere 410

OldandWorn ยท 2011-01-25 14:01

This is the only hoe I have ever used and I don't know if there is a problem because I have nothing to compare it with. I bought it about 1 year ago but just starting to use it more lately. Older hoe, 410 no letters late 70's vintage. Boom, dipper, extendable dipper, FEL, and stabilizers all seem to move at a good speed. The boom and dipper almost too fast if not careful. However, it seems to take forever waiting for the front and rear buckets to curl or empty. Digging dirt or air, same slow speed. Problem? or does this sound normal for this older model. Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1fast_st2011-01-25 16:08

    Hmmm, even when diggging air... does RPM affect it? I had to make some brass bushings for my control lever, bore out with a drill then turn some brass to the right size to realize full operating lever control. All the front bucket control bushings were sloppy and not letting the valves fully open or close. How fast does it drop from say 6 feet if you hit float?

  2. #2Deon2011-01-25 18:16

    I have owned a 1981 JD 410. I didn't think the bucked curled slowly and all my linkages were tight. But one day I got in a newer JCB and found the hoe bucket to curl way faster than mine did. That was my first hoe also so I, like you did not have anything to compare with. Open this link. You will see the curl and dump times listed in this spec sheet. I assume it is measured at 2,000 or 2,200 rpm. Hope this helps. http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/cons.../non_current_pdfs/noncurrent_backhoes/410.pdf I just noticed the hoe bucket dump time is not listed. This is probably because there are two positions for the bucket linkage.

  3. #3OldandWorn2011-01-25 19:16

    Yes, as with all of the hydraulics on the machine, the higher the RPM that faster everything moves but the buckets just seem lame compared to the other movements. My loader controls are also very loose but the hoe levers are nice and tight. I was also going to rebush the loader controls but never got around to it. I will look to see if the valves are opening fully. The loader up and down seems plenty fast it is the speed of the buckets that have me wondering if they might be on a seperate flow system that is clogged or something.

  4. #4OldandWorn2011-01-25 19:28

    Thanks for the link Deon. It does list the loader dump time so that is a good start because that bucket seems slow as well. I can guarantee it doesn't dump in 1.3 seconds just sitting here at the computer. Man, that seems fast! I would guess it is more like 4 seconds but I will time it. I wonder if that means stop to stop?

  5. #5Deon2011-01-25 19:47

    Yes OldandWorn, it's the dump cycle stop to stop. Actually the engine is rated at 2,500 rpm so that is probably the speed to use to get the 1.3 second dump.