Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

slow fork drop

James alex zheltonoga ยท 2023-11-14 18:57

I purchased a 1985 Clark C500 forklift with 107 hours on it. everything works great except the mast goes up fast but drops too slow. I put penetrating oil on the rollers and put a heavy pallet of pavers on the forks and ran it up and down,but it did not come down any faster. Any one out there have any thoughts on this?

Replies4
  1. #1TD242023-11-16 14:47

    Pore thing is worn out...107 operating hours in 38 years, must have used it on three shifts, weekends and holidays... I jest... First simplicity: Do the chains lifting the carriage seem to be adjusted equally? Should be shortened enough to clear the forks 1/4" off floor, with mast vertical. If quite unequal, will cant carriage rollers in rails and bind. Second: Examine the exposed chrome when the mast is extended. Are these barrels "dry". Should have an oily residue on them, not bone dry. (I once drove 80 miles to enamine the same complaint on a newly delivered truck. New tight packing.. lightly oiled the chrome and a few strokes' it worked fine. (Soak a shop towel in 30W oil, wipe exposed chrome thoroughly to moisten.) Third: Examine the linkage connecting the lift/lower control hand lever to the end of the hydraulic valve's spool. Be sure the lever is actually moving the spool to its end of movement. Check these and reply with the full model and serial number of the machine... Some background of the machine...EG.. Been sitting up, prior environment, bought auction or private party?

  2. #2James alex zheltonoga2023-11-20 18:17

    Thanks TD24. I checked the linkage to the controll valve and it had a lot of rust in the joints. I sprayed every thing up with CRC and ran it up and down a few times with weight on the forks and it started working faster. The more i use it the better it gets. I think its almost there. Thanks again.

  3. #3TD242023-11-20 19:28

    Glad it made a start. I would suggest you spray the lift chains with some cleaner to be sure they are free of kinks and flexing.

  4. #4OFF2023-11-25 14:45

    Is it cold there yet? I was thinking lighter/better hydraulic oil. When it gets too thick, forks don't come down anymore.