I own a TD15C, had it about 7 years and absolutely love it. Today I started it and moved the shift lever forward (no movement) same thing in reverse. Fluid level checked good and pressure is good on the dash gauge....only way I could get it to move was to advance the throttle. I pulled both filters, the cleanable screen filter had quit a bit of stuff on it. The other filter I had to order and won’t get it till next week. Would this dirty filter cause my problem? Is there another screen elsewhere to check? Over the last few months I’ve noticed the torque converter temp rises faster than it use to? Would this filter possible contribute to that too? Any advice is appreciated.
Was the stuff you found on the screen aluminium if it was that's from the converter. If you pull up the floor plates and look at the drive shaft it should spin when in neutral and come to a stop when put in any gear if you hold the brakes with the machine in gear and bring the rpm up the drive shaft should not spin unless the machine moves. If the drive shaft moves when in gear and machine not moving the problem is in the trans not the converter
What I remember on those were the hook ring seals going bad and leaking off pack pressures. Regardless of which component might be bad, we used to remove both for repair.
No aluminum on the screen and the drive shaft check works as it should. I believe I have a problem in the low/high shift lever in the right forward floor. I have noticed it would jump out every now and then and I would have to reengage it? It feels like the lever is not engaging what ever it is linked too? I was wondering if I pull the rubber boot up, can I get down far enough to see if a pin or whatever attaches the lever may have worked out or broken? Can this be accessed from the top? Ever seen this before? Now it seems like its just partially engaged.....have to throttle up for movement. When I first started it after the filter changes....I thought about this.....seemed to work fine at first, then after going from low to high a few times.....I don't feel it slipping into place like it use too. Any pointers would be appreciated.
If your drive shaft stops when you put your trans in gear your hi lo is engaged. It can only be in hi lo or neutral. It is mechanical it can't slip. The shifter is held in gear with oil pressure on a poppet valve in the bottom of the shifter housing there's a o ring that goes bad . I can't remember if you can get to it from the top or you have to pull the belly pan. If your shifter has become disengaged you should be able too move it around and get back in place so it will shift
Thanks TD15C! From mechanical side of the high\low lever....Is there a pin or some device that attaches the lever to another part underneath the boot? To me it feels like something has broken or migrated out of whatever the lever attaches to. I use to definitely feel when I manually moved the lever from low to high range. Now it just feels loose and and easy, doesn’t feel like it engages like it use too. Could it be partially engaged? It will still barely move if I increase RPM. I can’t find a diagram of what or how the lever attaches down to the transmission.
1 and 2 is what your shift lever moves. uper pics are how shift lever attaches to housing
Here is some directions on how to remove the hi/lo shift lever . Hope these instructions will help you some.
To answer your question can the hi lo be partially engaged no it can't. it is either in neutral or in hi or lo just like a manual trans if the machine moves at all you have more problems then your hi lo if your hi lo is in neutral your drive shaft should spin when power shift is in gear with machine stoped and the machine should not try to move
Definitely going to check this out in the morning! I wish you lived closer to Alabama! Thank you so much.
Hey td15c. I cranked the dozer today and ran through the checks you mentioned. My problem is the high/low lever has become unattached.....just flops back and forth freely. Absolutely no resistance at all. Does the shift lever on the bottom side go into the shift fork somehow? I cant determine from the drawings what exactly that end goes into? Hoping you have had one of these apart and can advise me. I dread even trying to access this from the cab. Appreciate any help.
If you look at the parts manual i posted The ball on the end of shift lever number 73 goes into the notch on shaft number 2 you can usually mess with the lever and get it back in the notch. I have not seen one broke but you could have broke the ball off the end of shift lever or who noes what. If that is the case then you will need to pull th floor plates and mabe the belly pan and what ever else is in the way. And fallow the instructions Mike legg posted above
thanks for all the help on this. I did finally get it back together and so far seems to be working fine. The high low lever was riding above a metal line and had been rubbing it. Maybe the line was moving occasionally and this was kicking the lever in neutral. I heated up the shifter enough to bend it so it won't ride on the line. I have bought another TD15C....machine looks good but when running is blowing steam out of engine vent. It has no water in the oil......any ideas? thanks
Can you tell me where the hook ring seal are located? What has to be done to change them? Thank you.
International used hook ring seals on the ends of shafts that support various components. The thru shaft on the torque converter for instance or the ends of the transmission shafts. A leaking seal would show up as a loss of pressure on a function such as torque converter input pressure, transmission direction or range pack pressures and so on. The hook rings I believe were made of cast iron and would wear a groove in the outside mating surface. When the wear got to a certain point it would stress on the little hook on the end which would snap off. All of them are inside the cases which will require removal and dismantling in order to replace them.
Could someone tell me exactly how critical the seven hoses coming off the shifter to the top of the transmission play? Mine are all old and stiff.....was thinking this might help with the transmission function? Thank you.