Hey all, My little CD5B has decided that its not only time for new shoes but new feet as well. I've decided after dismantling and removing the roller frames from the machine that a total rebuild is required. It leaves me in a position that allows me to use any brand of suitably sized undercarriage that i'd like to as I remake the roller frames. My hope in posting here is finding out your opinions on the most readily available and economical brand of small dozer parts. I have purchased a used set of tracks from a D21P with swamp pads which are in great shape and I'd like to reuse. The chain is worn past what I would consider reusing but someone had welded on grouser bar to the top of the pads which has left them totally reusable. Common sense tells me to just use the Komatsu stuff but the sprockets for that class track are just enough smaller in diameter than the ones on the machine that i'm afraid it will affect the stance more than i'd like (by that I mean it would be lower to the ground) Its a home machine and not something I use to make a living so I wouldn't be against using decent used parts if I could find them but I will be needing rollers, idlers and sprockets as well as chain and pads (if I can't use the ones I have) Anyhow, any insight is welcome. thanks, jake
Yair . . . furukawajake. Couple of things. I have no knowledge of these small tractors at all but for all intents and purposes the track chain and sprockets must be matched exactly, that is to say the pitch of the chain must match the pitch of the sprocket . . . unless this is a Komatsu by another name you would probably need to cut the teeth from existing sprockets and weld the Komatsu sprocket onto the existing hub. Generally speaking a crawler tractor runs on its rollers and the sprocket will make little difference to the stance. Be very careful in determining the bolt pattern of the new chains if you want to use your new second hand pads. Others on here with knowledge of the machines involved may be of more assistance. Cheers.
Thanks, The little machine is a Furukawa and as found in other threads, parts are just not available for it. Nonetheless it is worth putting the effort into as its a handy little unit around my place. I was a bit brief in my post but I've already come to grips with having to marry a new sprocket to my existing hub as a starting point for new undercarriage. I appreciate your insight to the fact that the machine runs on the rollers and not the sprocket, it makes sense. I guess I wasn't looking at it that way. I know it may depend on what is available in my area but i'm hoping someone will have experience with several different brands and be able to share which if any were easier to work with than another. At this point it could be Cat, john deere, Mitsubishi or even just a list of aftermarket parts to use as a set. I just need a direction to start off in. thanks,
For D21 pads, you need D21 chain or something dimensionally similar. 135mm pitch. The smaller sprocket could be okay to use. Using a larger sprocket than original would be sketchier in my opinion. Smaller sprocket will give you more torque but slow you down Do you need to replace the rollers? You could use the D21 rollers also but you might need to modify the track frame fabrication to make it fit. If you don't replace the current rollers, you should make sure the chain will ride in the rollers correctly. You can PM me for more information. Another guy to check out is LANTRAXCO who I believe is in Oregon as well. I could sell you aftermarket parts if you wish and help you with the dimensions. What's the current chain pitch (pin to pin distance)?