Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Small dozer with one bent track pad.

fast_st ยท 2011-01-31 09:24

I have a quick question, dozer is a 350 JD and one track pad somehow got bent before I got it. When its on top the rear edge is bent down maybe 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch compared to all the others. Can a track pad be straightened without loosing all the temper? Is it like a spring and just work it cold with a sledgehammer or heat, bend, re-temper.

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042011-01-31 12:55

    Why worry, I have several slightly bent pads, since when I'm not in stumps I'm on broken concrete, and they haven't caused any problems. Granted, my machines are bigger, but I wouldn't mess with it.

  2. #2fast_st2011-01-31 13:01

    Thanks Mitch, I'm doing a sort of restore on it for antique shows in the 'working' class. I'd like to put new grouser bars on as well and figure out how to notch them so they look like the original snow cleats. I can weld all day long but I doubt a full set of track shoes comes cheap.

  3. #3fast_st2011-01-31 13:36

    Hmmm, dilemma, just talking with my local JD dealer, I was pondering regrousering my shoes, the material would be $250 for grouser bar, then notch it to match the original snow shoes type then spend some time welding. JD says the shoes are only $640 for a full set, that seems pretty cheap overall. My bolts are in good shape from what I can see. ... hmm!

  4. #4CRAFT2011-01-31 14:54

    Don't Re-use the bolts ! ...its not worth the small extra cost of them ..... when the bolts are installed new with (usually) with a larger impact gun or even a big torque wrench the bolts are streched just enough that when you remove them and re-install they will either be not torqued proper or will break. It would probably be OK if it was in a pinch out in the bush and no new ones but experience says NO-WAY .....jmeho ...

  5. #5Randy882011-01-31 18:04

    Try aftermarket pads and bolts and put them on new, for the time involved its not worth welding all the bars on. Don't reuse the bolts and nuts, torch them off and put new on, most of the time you put them on and stretch them and when you go to take them off you'll strip or mess up the threads anyhow, besides they usually won't stay tight the second time around for long. If its more for display then why worry about the pads and how they look, most won't know what they are supposed to look like anyhow and those that do won't mind, its supposed to have wear for its age, just my opinion though. Best of luck

  6. #6Auctioneerhere2011-01-31 21:22

    Sorry, I can't help...I have a few extra 350 parts laying around, but no track pads. My advice...if your just going to be showing it, park the bent one on the ground...

  7. #7fast_st2011-01-31 21:44

    Ahh, so the bolts are single use, similar to torque to yeild. Gotcha, new bolts as well. Well the pads are odd, its called a 'snow grouser' stepped down in the center or stepped down on the edges The different look makes them stand out a bit. It woud be a little more difficult to re-recreate with grouser bar stock and a torch guide to make the notches. want to get a new dash harness as mice went to town and ate everything up