Im looking to buy a small grader for doing long drives and the road at my main job. I looked at a Leeboy I thin but the blade was attached to the rear of the machine like a dozer instead of on a turning circle from a front mounted drawbar. The blade has a variable pitch but it still doesnt feel right. It wants to take the geight off the drive wheels in a good gravel cut. I hope to find a 40 or 50 year old Allis Chalmers DD like my older brother had. I dont trust the hydro grader transmission. Does anyone here have a suggestion about a smaller grader. I found a newer Huber Maintainer with the loader a dozer blade and a midmounted drawbar moldboard. It looks a bit clumsy. Im going tomorrow to look at a PSI grader.
Fiat makes a nice small grader.....I think it is a 60 series machine. The moldboard is 10' and it is a full function hydraulic grader with torque converter transmission..........the other option is an old gallion, but I don't remember the model (but it would certainly be cheaper than the Fiat)
Don my brothers old AC is a little smaller than the Fiat Id like to find one or the other. I tried a PSI today that had the mid mountd blade and a loader still didnt seem as smoth as my brothers old AC lol. Im still looking I may go out to a yard next week that has an older Cat that runs good. I dont really need one but a few of the lots I maintain need a grader insted of a tractor on them.
Take another look at that huber. It may look clumsy but I found the one that I own to be useful for driveways, and road betterment work. Not the best design in the world but it works pretty good for me.
Huffmanmb Is your grader using the Ford power unit. And does yours have the front bucket or blade. Ive seen one or the other on he bucket part but this one had both options and a Ford engine. The owner also has a 1.5 yard pull pan he pulls with it. I think I can get the whole thing for 3000. I already have 2 old hoes so the loader part wont be needed but could be nice. the owner said the pan was a nice thing to have when doing some things mostly they used it to take high spots out of gas staion lots they built. Parts is the main issue on this machine if most parts are still available ill probably take it. Take care Taylor Lambert
4 Cyl Continental Gas, 9ft MB and a push blade in the front. parts for the engine we can get of the shelf at the local Carquest. Machine parts is another story. We recently repainted and rebuilt it this winter. Though we had no major problems we had to fabricate some parts in our shop. Rear end/Tranny parts are available somewhat. Ours is a 77 I think. If it is in running condition and not completely worn our, 3000 would be a good price compared to what they go for here. I reguarly attend the RB Auction in Olympia and they always seem to go for 8000 to 12000 in very used condition. We paid 7500 for ours and it was in pretty good shape. I looked at one that was almost broke in half, major oil leaks, tin falling off, and bald tires and they still wanted 9500.
Its for sale [email protected]
Compact Graders You owe it to yourself to check out a new Champion Motor Grader. We are the market leader in the compact grader class.
Do some shopping here... http://www.machinerytrader.com/
http://www.auto-rv.com/browse.aspx?AdName=CE4380521D This is quite aways north, but might be worth taking a look at for the price.
anyone notice the 1st post is over 3 years old. it is ok we still like looking. The local rental co. here has one here for sale @ $49,000 about the same size as that Champ. Most of you have seen mine. I paid $2500 in runing condition but have goobs of labor, sweat, and a little blood into it. Total $ has been less the $5000 including over $1500 in paint and supplys. there also 2 AW's on e-bay and a 3rd for parts right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130099354302&rd=1&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330106981807&rd=1&rd=1
Hi Dwan! I haven't been on the board much lately (pesky employment!) but I was wondering how your grader restoration project turned out? If there still is a post about it, could you put up the link to it? Hope things are good where you are, take care! alan627b
"Progress on AW supper 300" This should be the thread you were looking for. :thumbsup
You guys are just to fast for me. I just got back to town from a sweeper buying trip in Washington. Will get back on the project as soon as spring cleanup is about 1/2 done. need to install the cab insulation and still do the wireing. Dwan
Older Just bought a Cat 212. 1951 vintage. I can haul on a gooseneck trailer. 22 ft long--the grader is. 13000 plus in weight.
Hey there LeakyBoot..Welcome to the forum. Any chance of you posting some pictures of your grader?
psi618 i am looking for an info about the performance of psi618 motor grader,
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums njpuig! :drinkup
Performance I'm probably not the best person to give you a suggestion on the PSI grader considering they are somewhat a competitor to me. Lets just say that when all systems are at 100% on the PSI that it will have good power and traction. But it is a complicated system and when not working properly you have a slug of a grader. Its a series of electronics and hydraulics that have to be in tune with each other. Very hard to troubleshoot the exact reason your tires aren't pulling anymore. Its not a traditional grader either meaning the moldboard is pushed from behind rather than pulled by a draw bar. With the exception of their "Alligator" trademark, its just plain ugly to look at too. But thats just my opinion....sorry if you PSI boys read the blog! Oh yea, they just sold out to Mauldin Pavers which hasn't always had a paver worth a flip. Not sure where your support is going to come from.
Ever ran an Athey motor grader? Looks a bit foolish, but one of the big paving companies around here uses one on a LOT of new development roads and parking lots.
motor grader can you provide the website of this grader thanks njpuig
I dont believe that the athleys are built anymore.but the PSI's are the same concept. Rieth-Rieley the Asphalter around here runs a JCB 214 with the grademaster backblade on it.
Here's the PSI site, which is now Mauldin: Mauldin
Compact Grader ? There can't be any production with loader attachments on graders. Must be for the one man shows. :beatsme Here's a compact Basic.
First time I explored this link provided by CB. Have a look at the videos in the link. Little machines can take a good bite! First video was a little funny as I think the operator is going to have a sore neck if he's at it to long. Check it out..
Take a look at this, works and cuts great If you have a skid steer or track loader this may be a real option for you. www.minimightpatrol.com Comes on or off loader in minutes
Welcome to HEF patrick :drinkup
Attachment Hello Patrick, Huh, nice to see some innovated products . Something new to the market place. It must have it's place somewhere. But I know that a Case 570 loader with boxblade, and belly blade will out perform what you have. Most small paving outfits have them here. They are fast and efficient, on small jobs.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums patrick! :drinkup
There are also these thingies: grader attachment for wheel loaders and tractors:
I have a old gallion 503 with a IH diesel engine, it works great for small to medium size jobs. Before I bought that I used a AC model D grader with manual angle mold board , it did a good job to the transmision puked.
Does a JD570A qualify as a small grader? I've got 2 miles of gravel road to maintain averaging 12 to 15 ft. width. Sometimes it feels bigger when going round curves. Definitly has the power.
Well I'm partial to the Champion Compact Motor Graders. They have been manufactured in Charlotte, NC for nearly 30 years now and have a very proven track record. You should go to www.championmotorgraders.us and have a look. There are several nice used ones on machinerytrader.com and I have a 2002 model C86 All Wheel Drive that has less than 200 hrs on it and brand new paint. Prior to the Champion brand we were part of Volvo and way back when we were "Lee". (not to be confused with LeeBoy. Despite whatever brand you come across they were all built in Charlotte, NC all at the same factory and by the same people. It just means that you are going to get excellent product support no matter what vintage you decide to buy. I hope this helps.
Mid Size Grader I think the answer will depend on who your asking. I've been building small graders for most of my life it seems so when I get around a JD 570 it feels pretty big to me. But compare it to a new CAT, Volvo, or Deere and it will start to feel a bit smaller. The JD570 was a true mid size grader that was packed full of power and "big grader" features but in a smaller package that manuvers well and is easier to transport. JD pulled the model in 1992 I think and there hasn't been anything else that matches the benifits of this model until now. During our market research we found hundreds of the JD570's are being bought and sold every year. They are still very popular with the small to mid size contractor who want all the grader they can get while still being able to transport on their 12 ton tag along trailers. So thats why we developed the Champion C110C motor grader which inherited many of the JD 570 traits but with all of todays advancements in power, performance, and comfort. For more information go to: http://www.championmotorgraders.us/C110/index.html . This link will take you directly to the C110 micro site. I hope this helps! Happy grading.
Here is our C70 equipped with a loader attachment. This used to be a really popular option back before skid steers were so popular. Puckett and Huber did a real good job with this also.
Just to throw my 2 Cents in here. Ive been running the Champion c80C for just over a year now and say it has served me great!!! If your in the market for a Small grader be sure to check this model out!
This article was in the Earthmovers and Excavators ('The Bible') this month. A hire company in Adelaide has bought the C80C and hired it out with very favourable comments from the contractors. Good on you, Bryan. Rn'R.
Hi i have a 503g with a bad motor gas continenial engine,thinking of a repower to diesel,do you know the model# of your diesel engine,thanks Lee
First photo is a HBM 110, weights 11 ton blade width 11ft. Second potho is HBM 130 weight 13 ton blade wihte 11ft, this are all wheel drive machines.
the 503 i looked at had an ih gas motor in it of the 6 cylinder variety which should have a simular bolt pattern to an ih diesel from a 656, 666, 766, 756,856... and other farm tractors. If you get into 966,1056,1206 and others your talking alot more hp than the drives were designed for. Another good motor to check is the cummings 4-390 series.
my engine is bad,cracked block, is there anybody out there that knows anything about a 1955 503g galion continential engine,what is the engine # the metal tag is gone,thanks Lee
will the cummings 4-390 bolt up to my existing bell housing,Thanks Lee
502g galion 1955 repower I have galion 503g 1955 with a bad continential 6 cylinder motor,the engine tag is gone,anybody know what engine#i have,also should i go gas or diesel for repower,anybody have any ideas what diesel motor would bolt up to my bellhousing,i have seen pictures the 503 1955, with diesel engines,thanks,Lee
Here a video from a Gehl 747 grader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99XLT-W6Bx0
I remember some years back a local contractor had a very small grader called razor or razer. It could be moved on a trailer pulled by a pickup. I could never find any info on them, don't know if there are any around anymore. Edit...I think this is it http://www.equipsellsit.com/modules/showroom/print.cfm?itemID=14885
Old thread, but still relevant. Here's a nice sized grader from the folks that took over the Champion design. http://www.lbperformancepaving.com/Home/Products/MotorGraders/G-700_Motor_Grader/Overview_G700.aspx
Here an interesting type of mini grader from a german manufacturer: http://schwab-maschinen.de/en/fine-leveller/
Yair . . . Graderfan1981 Thanks for you ongoing posts about world graders. That little Schwab machine is original thinking way out side the box. . . what a perfect machine for road and track maintenance and you can even suck it all together and tote behind a pickup! Cheers.
If I can get my son to help me post a pic or two, I'll show you my Hefty G grader, a little machine that is handier than a pocket in a shirt!
Is it this one? Looks very interesting http://www.tractorshed.com/photoads/upload/82265_opt.jpg
Here is a small grader too with laser: http://lasergraderofatlanta.com/projects/nggallery/page/1 Looks like a Blademore/TCI Grader...
We have a Mauldin. It has a nicer cab than the Puckett, and Alitec, but it is not as well built. They narrowed in the lift cylinders on the blade, and I find it hard to keep it on the ground. Give me my old Puckett any day.
Stehr has now a version of a small grader too: https://www.facebook.com/stehrmedia/posts/981336661928560
I have find a video from a nice selfbuilt mini grader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rbJNWn6IzE#t=17
Here is one other from Germany, built by Gritzke: http://www.gritzke.de/gradervorsatz-mit-nivellierautomatik
Wow, 11 yo thread... Fiat graders were a continuation of the allis D ancestor. I think the M-65 is still being made somewhere...