Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Smooth Drum Or Pad Foot Drum Roller

dieseldog5.9 ยท 2020-01-09 15:11

Looking at purchasing a roller for installing gravel driveways and concrete pad prep. Have an opportunity to purchase a roller reasonable but it is a pad foot and i have no experience with a pad foot roller, always used a smooth drum, thoughts?

Replies16
  1. #1cuttin edge2020-01-09 15:37

    The only thing we use a sheep's foot around here is for clay.

  2. #2Bls repair2020-01-09 15:56

    Smooth drum best for a finish grade project

  3. #3redneckracin2020-01-09 16:15

    I would only use a sheeps foot for placing soil. Best bang for the buck would be a smooth drum with a sheeps foot kit. (sheeps foot=pad foot)

  4. #4grandpa2020-01-10 06:51

    Smooth Drum

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-01-10 08:45

    Smooth drum for driveways. No more than 6 inch lifts.

  6. #6Cmark2020-01-10 15:20

    Not wanting to derail things here, but sheepsfoot and padfoot are different things.

  7. #7cuttin edge2020-01-10 17:16

    do elaborate, as I've never actually heard of a padfoot, and just assumed it was a sheepsfoot.

  8. #8Cmark2020-01-10 17:29

    This is a Sheepsfoot style. The feet are designed to fluff the material as they pull out in order to aid drying. This is a Padfoot. The trapezoidal shape leaves a sealed surface.

  9. #9Cmark2020-01-10 17:34

    Also see this video for a nice example of a Sheepsfoot in action.

  10. #10cuttin edge2020-01-10 17:42

    there you go. I've never even seen a sheepsfoot before around here. been calling a padfoot a sheeps foot for years. thanks for posting

  11. #11Tinkerer2020-01-10 18:07

    Me too ! Not just me but everybody I know calls pad foots --- sheepfoots. Looks like you gota have some good material for a sheepsfoot.

  12. #12Cmark2020-01-10 18:13

    It's horses for courses. If you only need compaction, go for a Padfoot. If you also need consolidation (drying) choose a Sheepsfoot.

  13. #13Welder Dave2020-01-10 19:16

    So what are the compactors that use a round pad. They don't have the hooks like sheepfoots.

  14. #14Cmark2020-01-10 19:52

    It's all down to the shape of the sides. If they are tapered to leave the ground cleanly then as far as I'm concerned, they're a Padfoot.

  15. #15treemover2020-01-10 22:36

    There is all different science in the shape of the pads on a padfoot. I have read about it, but way above my head. I have used a cat in particular, more of an oval pad that sucked. The more rectangular seem to pack better, In my opinion

  16. #16dieseldog5.92020-01-13 13:48

    can a padfoot roller be used effectively with thicker lifts of material, better roads magazine talked about lifts of up to 18 inch, seemed like alot.