Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snatch Block Capacities

tomk9500 ยท 2013-04-14 18:03

I recently bought some 1' cable with 110.000 lb breaking strength rating. I would like to have a snatch block to use when pulling equipment out of mud. What size do I need and where could I find one. I'm in ND.

Replies11
  1. #1td25c2013-04-14 18:56

    AW direct has a Johnson block that would work with 1" cable. 999.99 and wieghs 98 lbs. http://www.awdirect.com/gunnebo-joh...-dia-474723036/snatch-blocks-and-accessories/

  2. #2Dualie2013-04-14 19:06

    go to your local rigging supplier. chances are they will be at least 20% cheaper than AW direct. I have 5 rigging suppliers within a half hour drive of here. so you should be able to find one near you. I try to avoid import rigging gear at all costs. Mckissic, gunnebo Johnson, and Crosby blocks have served me well over the years.

  3. #3heavylift2013-04-14 22:19

    I would think 1" cable would use a bigger diameter pulley than 10". We pulled with 1 1/8" cable, It had 18" to 24" pulley. Can't recall the exact size. There is probably a chart for diameter versus size somewhere.

  4. #4Big Iron2013-04-15 11:37

    go to the Skookum web site ( www.ulvencompanies.com/skookum ) or contact a knowledgeable rigging shop, such as West Coast Wire Rope and Rigging!

  5. #5Nige2013-04-15 12:49

    The recommended pulley size for a block for 1" rope is 18" diameter. The working load limit of that block would be around 15 tons. Worth commenting seeing as no-one's mentioned it so far that you should divide the breaking load by a factor of 5 to get a safe working load. So 110,000 pounds breaking load would give an SWL of around 22,000 pounds or 11 tons.

  6. #6td25c2013-04-15 20:13

    Found this chart on www.gunnebojohnson.com/wp-content/uploads/rigging.pdf It shows the recomended sheave to cable size for hoist & crane blocks . I agree 10" diameter dose sound small for 1" cable. Snatch blocks are a little different animal compaired to crane sheaves & blocks.Snatch blocks are designed to be smaller so the operator can pack them around & rigg easier on job sites ,hang several of them in the tool box,ect. From the snatch blocks I use the cable to sheave size ratio is about 10:1. The 8 ton johnson blocks I keep in the wrecker have a 6" sheave and I use it with 5/8" cable. On crane blocks & sheaves they seem to come closer to 20:1 on the size ratio.My grove crane uses 12" sheaves & 5/8" cable. The bigger the sheave the less stress on the cable .The snatch block with the smaller sheave is a compromise of a light wieght block thats easier to handle for rigging but it's harder on cable life.

  7. #7tctractors2013-04-18 02:13

    I have a few "Recovery" Gems that I always keep by ready for a Winch out task, the sheave blocks I use can be opened to pass the cable through and carry the makers name "Fellows" 50ton rated (long tons) I also have about 4 D shackles that are stamped Recovery only SWL 150tons, these shackles are very light to handle and I have yet to have 1 fail in any way, the pin always un-threads easily after heavy winching, the Gar-Wood 40 ton winch is a popular unit in the UK to use in plant recovery with 2 of these winches and Fellows snatch blocks hooked up the results are always good, the weak link in lots of winch tasks is the D Shackle hooked into the item being recovered. Tight Lines tctractors

  8. #8td25c2013-04-18 21:22

    That sounds like a nice setup tctractors. Thats interesting that the garwood winch is popular in the UK. I have 3 garwood winches and they seem to be built pretty tough.Found a few articles on the garwood story. http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Garwood_Industries and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_Wood

  9. #9tctractors2013-04-19 02:01

    td25c, up till just a few years ago I had a Diamond T 980 (Prime Mover) with the Gar Wood winch tucked into its innards, there is other heavy winch kit about in the U.K. but I would think the Ex Diamond T 980-981 would be the easy one to find also buy, they have a Sterling reputation with winch out recovery teams that have become masters of the winch out art.

  10. #10tomk95002013-04-19 11:14

    Thanks so much. This is what I was looking for. Now any ideas where I could find a used reasonably priced block? Hopefully north central U.S.

  11. #11td25c2013-04-19 21:36

    Try scrapyards,equipment yards,etc for a used block tomk9500.Might even give "Zip's a call,they are located in northeast Iowa. www.zips.com/Store_Products.aspx?CAT=121 If I were in need of a snatch block that would handle 1" cable I might even fabricate one.Start out with a big sheave from say a boom or fairlead off an old crane then build around it accordingly,but thats just me. I try to stay away from blocks that size as there to dang heavy to drag & pack around though the mud.I work mostly alone so the less wieght to carry the better.I keep some 1 1/8" cable for hard case recoveries. I rigg the stuck vehical with the 1 1/8 " cable then run four part 5/8" cable down to the 1 1/8 with a couple of 8 ton snatch blocks.Not sure what your situation is or type of equipment you are using as everyones needs can be different from job to job.Hope ya find a good used block tomk9500 .