There's some advice on the internet about chaining alternate wheels of the trailer. Assuming the trailer is tandem duals ... From : http://fastertruck.com/pages/How-To-...struction.html ..."When you have to chain-up going over Donner Pass: “MINIMUM Chains” (R1) means 2 sets of single chains, Put one set on your primary drive axle, outside tires. The “Primary” drive axle is always the rear axle of a 3 axle tractor. The second set of chains go on your trailer axles, staggered. One chain on the front, left, outside tire and one on the right rear, outside tire." What is the purpose of alternating the chains on a trailer? Would not both tires on rear most axle give more resistance against jack knifing ?
It really doesn't matter which corner of the trailer is chained-that is mainly an example from people who don't know and don't drive a semi in winter conditions. The main thing is it's chained up-the DOT will be looking to see that you are chained- 99.9% of dot people are only looking to see that you are complying. As far as breaking on the trailer with chains on it doesn't change braking by having one single on the front axle and one on the opposite rear. Because of the GVW our trucks are at{100,000} drive axles have to have a single on each corner and two trailer drag chains. Truck Shop
Truck Shop ... So there is no driving difference ... Fore or aft... Just a drag chain on each side of the trailer. Thanks for your reply
All I can say about chains revolves around chaining up three times a day, sometimes both drive axles always one trailer axle and then dropping them with slush running down your neck. I’m done with that! Driving log truck, that was the only real piece of misery. You would be hanging chains on your trailer at the sort yard where it was relatively dry and get all sorts of sympathetic glances from other drivers. Chaining up was never a big deal even at 3AM every day, but dropping your chains with all the slush was a real pain. I never had to worry about DOT chain rules, if it was that bad we stayed home. Chaining up everyday was a matter of survival, no chains and off the road you go. In 1972 I chained up about the middle of November and never dropped the chains until early January when a Chinook swept through and cleared the last 10 miles of our haul to the sort yard. 3 rounds a day 37 miles round trip, long days.
The most times chaining up was when I was driving C class tow truck-eleven times on the tow truck and chained up five more that I retrieved in 36hrs straight. Truck Shop
My best response to that is: If it snows, I just toss another log on the fire and admire it coming down! As I said, I'm done with that! Let someone else have the fun.
I generally only had to throw iron on sites when we ran WY, MT etc as we couldn't roll when roads were bad. There were a few times I was legal or small enough I could chain up and keep moving. Some of the funniest stuff I've even seen is a person with ZERO training trying to put a set on. Some I'd offer to help. Some were so rude when I offered I walked back to my truck, threw mine on and took off in no time. F-em! I will say this, I know the law says they have to carry them but good lord those drivers had no business on a slick road let alone a steep slick road!
Even worse was getting to Easton and finding out some #%$@! "borrowed" the chains off your truck... I sat there for half an hour trying to figure out what to do when I saw strobes behind me, 3 graders passing snow with 4 sanders right on their tails. I just fell in behind them like I was part of the pack. I did catch the chain thief, He parked next to me every night. I asked him why his boss wouldn't buy him chains, he was too embarrassed to admit they were stolen off his truck while he was sleeping in it. So he just Borrowed mine. I stopped parking in their yard after that.