So I was out driving with the GF, out of the corner of my eye I see this little contraption... I have no idea what it is, but I would think its for pushing snow… Sorry for the bad cell phone pics, will try and get some with the digi cam later today.
Your contraption is made by Bombadier, and its used for traversing unstable soil. In Minnesota the DNR also uses them for firebreak patrol.
See, old timers, yet slow and not good drivers, are good to have around...
Gonna have to give the young whippersnapper a spankin' gramps. :yup
Growing up in Northwestern PA, the Borough used one of these to plow sidewalks. Had a V plow on the front of it.
Bombardier, the makers of Skidoo, made these for snow but would go through muskeg, mud, you name it. Some used them at smaller ski hills for grooming the slopes kind of like a miniature Piston Bully. Very reliable machine other than the occasional flat tire on the boggies.
I've always refered to these a J-5's. Not sure where I picked that term up, but they can make a skid steer or even a Trackless look bush league when clearing sidewalks with either a Vee or straight plow. As a friend of mine and a member here says, they go like "Jack the Bear".
I did a quick Google image search, and came up with these. It is a J5 basic machine.
Well ATCO you are right on there, but them young whippersnapper are like a steer in the herd. They run around watch the herd bull with vim and vigor, but the OLD bull is slowly moving around acually getting something done.
Ouch. LoL :lmao
Well he's right ya know...how can i argue with that...:notworthy
LOL, I know a joke to that effect with the young bulls and the old bull, but I can't post it here.
this one steve... Two bulls are standing on a hill. Off in the distance, they see a group of cows. The young bull excitedly nudges the old bull and says, "Hey! Hey! I know! Let's run over there and say "HI" to one of those cows!" The old bull looks at the young bull, then turns and takes a long look at the cows. He turns back to the young bull and says, "Son, let's walk over there and say "HI" to 'em all."
Oh my, that's a mental picture of Tonka and Gramps I didn't need! :lmao :falldownlaugh
Good job Tonka!!:wink2
Thank's Steve, you of all people sould know we are a famliy site here at HEF... so i couldn't get anymore in depth than what i did... besides i like it here and didn't want to get :ban...
J5 Deere John is right,that thing will go like Jack the Bear.Public Works here used them all the time for sidewalk plowing.Fast,but had to be careful on ice,even with bar cleated track.Prone to slipping sideways,much like any other track machine on ice.One glanced off a hydro pole while plowing one real cold night,snapped the pole clean off and started a chain reaction of four other poles breaking.Luckily no one hurt,although there must have been some fireworks. We used to have a J-7,flathead six Dodge powered.It carried pipe, stone buckets that would hold 1cu.yd. of stone each,other supplies as needed by a pipe crew.Thirty-six inch wide tracks,so it would really float.Could'nt even walk where it would go.Good in the right spot,but lot's of maintenance to keep up properly. Dominion:canada