Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snow Wing Rebuild

ovrszd · 2024-12-23 12:10

My Township has an old "Ulrich" snow wing that was originally designed to be fastened to the end of the moldboard and braced between the tandems on old style rigid framed graders. We bought this wing 25 years ago and had it fitted to our JD machine and braced off the moldboard. We recently traded to a CAT machine. Of course the moldboards do not share the same radius curve or end bit bolt location..... So, I took it to the Welding Shop again. He removed our JD designed bracket and built a CAT design. So we now have the spare if we trade back into a JD. This old wing was built for use on a 70HP, 20Klb machine. Now it's mounted on a 272HP, 45Klb AWD machine. I think the shop did an excellent job of designing the mount bracket. Here's some pics.

Replies34
  1. #1cuttin edge2024-12-23 14:21

    It looks good, but do you think it will stand up to the pressure at that angle?

  2. #2ovrszd2024-12-24 11:52

    The brace pole is telescopic to change angle. Useful with different snow types. As to standing up, it's worked in this fashion for the 25 years we've had it. I don't ram it into frozen snow banks or a bank slope. It's held up so far. We have been in a declining snow pattern for the last ten years. Here's some older pics of it's abilities.

  3. #3cuttin edge2024-12-24 17:08

    I've seen your pictures before, but didn't realize it was only fastened to the MB. I think I thought it was fastened to the MB up front, and had a regular mast or something on the rear.

  4. #4ovrszd2024-12-25 17:05

    Redneck Engineering....

  5. #5cuttin edge2024-12-25 20:51

    whatever works

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-12-26 00:31

    Might be good if the pin/bushings were greasable or had replaceable bushings to keep it tight. Looks fairly stout though.

  7. #7Mobiltech2024-12-26 09:57

    The only problem might be if the circle slip clutch goes and lets it turn back into the tandem at high speed.

  8. #8ovrszd2024-12-26 12:28

    That would suck for sure. I've never had that problem. I'm sure I jinxed myself saying that.

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-12-26 15:44

    I think a good operator could get a feel for how much load is on the wing.

  10. #10ovrszd2024-12-26 18:07

    Yep. Even if I'm winging a deep drift I rarely have the wing full. I take small lifts and repeat passes. I'm the most paranoid about it if I'm running it on the ground. I know my roads very well so rarely get surprised by digging into the ground with the wing. I've got a relief guy that helps me once in awhile. He's only ran the wing one session. I lectured him pretty hard about abusing the wing. Someone mentioned the table slip clutch. I think I've never triggered it because I'm cautious about tearing up the wing or the moldboard.

  11. #1120/802025-01-01 15:34

    That is a different wing set up, you would have good reach for sure, think you showed me this set up on your Deere, what about like small narrow roads with trees on both sides, and the old army bridges on them, I have a heck of a pile of them to cross, you would never get across i wouldn't think, but i never seen any pics of it tucked in either, you may not have to worry about roads like that, looks like you have lots of open wide roads with a heck of a pile of drifts to contend with, thanks for sharing love your pics

  12. #12ovrszd2025-01-01 15:54

    When I started 36 years ago I had six of those old high bannister overhead framed bridges. They've all been replaced with low bannister concrete deck bridges. I have one 100ft long wood deck bridge left but it doesn't have any railings at all. With the wing pinned in place I am 15ft wide at the narrowest moldboard position . Aren't you in a CAT 150? If it's you I'm thinking of, how you getting along with it?? How many hours? Any problems?

  13. #1320/802025-01-01 16:15

    Yes sir I'm running the Cat 150 AWD, its working good so far, 3000 hrs on it now, The only problem i'm having is that black slim in my fuel water separator all the time plugging it up, we cleaned the tank but it keeps coming back, cat doesn't want us using treatment in the fuel either, the other m series we have is having the same problem, none of our plow trucks are having any issues with this problem, all use the same fuel, thinking it maybe the black nylon tanks that are on these m series graders fuel is reacting to it, just a thought though, our secondary fuel filters are black too, our local lobster fishermen had this problem also in there boats, all running big diesels engines, a marine mechanic told them to put a cup of gas to acouple hundred gallons of diesel, that fixed there problem with black slim issues,

  14. #14ovrszd2025-01-01 18:35

    Yes, shook my memory, now I remember you talking about that on here. That's a terrible situation to be in with the fuel....... Wow, 3000 hrs, you've been busy!!!!! Glad everything else is going well with the machine!!!!

  15. #1520/802025-01-01 18:58

    Yes it’s been a good working machine so far except for a few little glitches

  16. #16Blue-Fox2025-01-31 13:16

    During the 3 generations of my family company we've had several grader wing designs from old 60's cable mounts and currently have 4 of them, 3 weldco and 1 craig all fully hydraulic with no cables. Just recently got rid of the Old CAT wing and my Champion double post. I've never seen a wing like that, mounted on the end of the MB. Looks rickety as all get out?! My wings are all mounted to the machine frame with really beefy mounts and several 1" or larger bolts. I've seen the bolts break off, and main mount pieces welds fail, and the old cable units rip their cable attachments off. Used to carry a come along in the grader just because that was necessary evil. About 25 years ago we used to have just one old 12F with a wing unit on it, and we got paid to just go out and wing back the banks along the secondary roads. We usually ran the "wing machine" ahead and a guy in another 12G to clean up behind him and we got paid for both machines. TODAY, every machine needs a wing and the machine can run the wing, the MB, a front blade and a Snow Gate!! And it all pays the same. Testament to the machines we run and the operators today. Kinda what I see is that thing being mounted the way it is, tied to the MB you're limited to just doing that 1 function "wing snow" with that machine. Really limiting your ability to operate. Costing the customer alot of extra money when that machine could be blading, winging and plowing all at the same time. Finished product single pass.

  17. #17cuttin edge2025-01-31 16:24

    Back in the day, on a non articulating grader. I'm guessing it extended the MB. OP says it was designed to be braced between the tandems. He has adapted it's design to be used with the V.

  18. #18ovrszd2025-01-31 19:34

    You Northerners need such wings. Us Southerners don't. If I have badly drifted roads I can carry the plow, add the wing, open closed roads, wing back the deep spots. I will use this wing once a Winter at most. This Winter, so far, we have had 3-4" of light fluffy snow. No V Plow use. No Wing use. No chains needed. Pushed snow once. This wing suits our needs very well. Out of the 20 townships in our County there are only two that have wings.

  19. #19ovrszd2025-01-31 19:35

    Yep. Not sure BlueFox read that part.

  20. #20Welder Dave2025-01-31 23:39

    Pics. of different wings and how they've evolved over the years would be interesting to see.

  21. #21ovrszd2025-02-01 19:10

    I agree. And would add value to this thread!!!!

  22. #22Cat 140M AWD2025-02-03 20:28

    Looks good and definitely works for you here is a picture of my 150 with all the snow equipment on got a 12ft falls XPR reversible plow have a 14ft cat wing My 2020 772GP Deere has a 12ft falls one way a 9-9 falls v plow and a 12ft falls wing my other cat 150 has the same falls reversible plow and same 14ft wing also have a cat Balderson v plow for both 150s

  23. #23Welder Dave2025-02-03 20:40

    Curious how much extra weight a grader can carry and if causes increased stress on components and repair costs?

  24. #24Cat 140M AWD2025-02-03 21:00

    You can carry lot of extra weight but along with that it’s just harder on everything leads to more repairs and breakdowns. I hate snow removal everyone says it’s a big money maker I tell everyone it’s not when you put in all the hours and wear equipment out all for nothing to show for when it all melts in the spring.

  25. #25Welder Dave2025-02-03 21:34

    I need to add some weight on the front of my grader after putting the ripper on. It's hard to turn especially when it only has a locked diff. On snow forget about steering. I have a couple pieces of heavy H beam I could bolt on. Then I was thinking of bolting some old track pads from my track loader to the H beams. I think the track pads will fit inside the flanges of the beam. I think about 1000lbs. would be ideal but not sure if I can get that much with what I have.

  26. #26Cat 140M AWD2025-02-03 22:51

    I have same issue once I have my packer on my rear ripper my front end is light I’d like to build a box with the pair a lift hooks on it and fill box with concrete I’d like to put 2,000 lbs on front would definitely help.

  27. #27Welder Dave2025-02-03 23:14

    I've thought about making a concrete weight box with Quickcrete.

  28. #28cuttin edge2025-02-04 13:36

    Push block. You could probably make it. Before the snow banks get hard enough to help flip you around the corners, I used to lift the front plow enough to put the weight on the front end. Pushing down a bit harder on the heel of the MB helps turn as well.

  29. #29ovrszd2025-02-04 17:35

    Great pics Mark!!!! Jealous here.... I don't mind pushing snow if it's just a couple days. And usually mine are that or maybe just one day. Last January we had a bad blow for us. I pushed 21hrs, slept 3hrs, pushed 12hrs more before I got my roads all open. I was over it. Totally over it. Graders are so much more productive today. In all aspects. Over the past 35 years their productivity has went up 300%. And I may be a bit conservative in that estimate. When Mark has all of his attachments on he's carrying the weight of an old CAT 12.

  30. #30Welder Dave2025-02-04 20:26

    I could make a push block but the thick steel parts would be pretty costly. I could see if a scrap yard might have some smaller thicker pieces even if I had to weld them together.

  31. #31ovrszd2025-02-05 11:17

    An idea. Around here you can buy tractor suitcase weights fairly cheap. Also, if you have a local scrap yard, talk to them, sometimes they get cast iron weights.

  32. #32Welder Dave2025-02-05 18:01

    I once got a 3" thick circle of steel about 36" in dia. at a scrap yard but I'm not sure the scrap yards now are as good to deal with. I want to have something that looks decent and have a tow hook on it. The couple pieces of H beam I have are probably 200-250lbs. each. I think the beam is either 104 or 114lbs./ft. It is 14" with 3/4" flanges and web.

  33. #33cuttin edge2025-02-05 20:20

    Dave your grader, you don't have a front plow hookup do you? The push block bolts up to where your lift group would mount. It should already have the holes

  34. #34Welder Dave2025-02-06 00:22

    The holes in the thick plate are there and there's ears for a tow pin with an old axle l in that it came with. Those same ears I accidently backed into and broke my tail light and bent a bit of the fender on my truck.