Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snowblower Tractor- someone plowed into me

BrianGrenier · 2023-11-28 11:09

This post is looking for some advice about tractor valuation. The short story is I was using my snow blower tractor to clear out the neighbor's drive. I was watching traffic in my northbound lane and I thought I was clear but someone in the southbound lane, in a double yellow no passing zone hit me and bent the back of the tractor causing substantial damage, including to the engine. The company that owns the truck that hit me is self-insured and they told me to go to three repair shops and get an estimate of repair. Me explaining that it's not like a body shop does this kind of work; it looks like it's going to need a new engine. A 4cylinder 76hp Deutz. The tractor is a '98 Holder C9700H. It was perfect for my needs for snow removal. I'd split the tractor couple years ago and put a new PTO wet clutch in it and has a new ECM and it was running like a top. So I looked through old posts how to value something and it was one suggestion to post some pictures here... maybe I could get an authentic valuation that could be paid for... I don't know if someone here could do that based on pictures but it's worth a try right. First picture is the accident scene and the second shows the lower half of the engine cracked. When he hit me my back lights went out but I had the side of the tractor lit up and the back two sets of lights were on as well as the strobe. It was 4:30 in the afternoon and there was still plenty of light and I think he was in a hurry to get back to the shop.

Replies108
  1. #1DDoug2023-11-28 12:10

    Hire a lawyer, have them buy you a new tractor, pay for the lawyer, and make you whole again.

  2. #2RTSmith2023-11-28 14:37

    Our shop is often dealing with adjusters on trailer valuations. Most common method is to get online & search For Sale ads for a comparable unit. I suspect that might be a challenge for your equipment. Don't forget about transportation, as a tractor in Minnesota must be transported to AK for it to have value for you. I am apprehensive that your chats with the shop won't be any fun. Based on what you've said, they seem clueless as to what they've destroyed.

  3. #3MG842023-11-28 17:50

    The fact that they said they are “self-insured” makes me a bit leery. That could also mean they have no insurance. I agree you need to hire a lawyer ASAP, I’m guessing the tractor is going to be a total loss, the best you can hope for is to be compensated well for it.

  4. #4cuttin edge2023-11-28 18:04

    Did you get a police report?

  5. #5Truck Shop2023-11-28 18:16

    Figure on picking up something else to use because with or without a shark--this is going to take a long time.

  6. #6BrianGrenier2023-11-28 18:52

    Great advice so far, thanks! I can always count on HEF! This incident puts me out of the snow blowing business. Now sucks to shift gears to deal with this. I'm waiting for the report. I had to file a freedom of information request. I hope that I don't end up on the report as vehicle 1, which I'm told is the party most at fault. I don't see how, since the other guy was over the double yellow and fully in my lane. The other driver wasn't cited because the Trooper said he couldn't see the paint markings on the asphalt. BS I went to Craig Taylor today and was told if I tow it there they can see about an estimate. I did a search for Holders and they seem to be uncommon. The Muni of Anchorage used to run them, now they run Trackless. The front PTO is a good setup. I bet most folks here know that good tractors aren't cheap /Venting

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-11-28 19:36

    That right there will be a problem-in this case after the fact by law enforcement.

  8. #8KSSS2023-11-28 20:44

    I don't know what the value of a Holder is (never heard of it)? Probably not worth as much in money as it is to you. My guess is they will pay you out of it. Hopefully they do try and fix it, since the value likely wont give you enough to replace it, especially in AK.

  9. #9crane operator2023-11-28 21:36

    Go on Machinery trader, type in "holder" and about 10 rigs show up. Call and get all the prices, and there's your comparables. Not going to be a lot of them out there, so its going to be hard to get a value. Looks like 40-$60,000 for the newer ones. I'm sure they most sell specialized to municipalities. If you had it insured yourself, (which you should have if snow blowing is your "business"), you should be able to turn it into your own insurance, and have them go after the other guys. If you don't have insurance, the other guys aren't the only ones "self- insured". Turn it in- IF you don't think the other guys are going to pay up.

  10. #10Truck Shop2023-11-28 21:47

    Facebook www.facebook.com * Milton Freewater. Ore. $13,000.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-11-28 21:48

    I'm guessing you had the the rotating beacon and all lights on. If the guy was doing an illegal pass he should be found at fault. It would be different if he was in the near lane and you pulled out in front of him. He could also be charged for undue care and attention and even dangerous driving. How could he not see see you? It's not much different if you were in a vehicle turning onto the near lane. That's why the double line is there. The best you can hope for is replacement value to make you whole. That means the value of your machine not a new replacement. If the frame is OK maybe a new engine and other work could fix it. It's your choice where you take it and it's not likely there would be 3 shops or even 2 you could go to for estimates. I've seen Holders for sale in Ontario. I think they were common with municipalities.

  12. #12BrianGrenier2023-11-28 21:48

    I've got another tractor with a tired IH D239 motor, but without a cab. Blowing snow is brutal without a cab. I can make do with my road grader for now but on these narrow roads that we have back here, there's no snow storage and the blower just comes in real handy. A 3-point PTO rear pull snowblower, 90" on a tractor that has the horsepower would be ok, maybe. It takes a lot of horsepower to quickly blow a lot of snow. The Holder at 76 HP or a Trackless at 110HP are great for the job. Both have a front PTO and 3-point. Here's a link to it blowing on Nancy Lake, AK: ​

  13. #13BrianGrenier2023-11-28 21:50

    Is that blow-by out of the exhaust?

  14. #14Truck Shop2023-11-28 21:52

    Probably a cold engine not warmed up-but that-that's minor stuff.

  15. #15BrianGrenier2023-11-28 22:01

    Yes. All the lights and beacon were on. And I think you're right that he could be charged for dangerous driving. But for him, since he wasn't cited, he might not lose his job. Lisa tells me that on her commute, she sees a lot of these utility trucks that are in a big ass hurry. I checked RB auction results and I see some of them went pretty cheap and some of them went pretty expensive... nothing's currently available though. I'm sure I could get this thing put back together myself but I don't really need another project to work on for free so that I can get back to where I was.

  16. #16Truck Shop2023-11-28 22:05

    If the cop didn't write a citation right then and there-he won't be charged with anything. Ain't going to happen.

  17. #17KSSS2023-11-28 22:24

    https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/farm-equipment/auctions/online/228906757/1998-new-holland-tv140 These are really popular with the guys that push/blow snow in the mountains opening up cabin roads.

  18. #18Welder Dave2023-11-28 23:41

    If there were an issue with them not paying for repairs an perhaps lawyers were involved and, a more thorough investigation, charges could maybe be laid. Maybe you got whiplash or other injuries that took a few days or weeks to really notice. You could have been killed! Just saying. Whether the driver loses his job doesn't matter as long as you get compensated fairly for your loss. You had an ideal machine for a snowblower. There are front mount blowers for tractors with a driveshaft from the PTO going under the tractor.

  19. #19BrianGrenier2023-11-29 00:36

    My insurance isn't interested. I have $1million but nothing for this as the tractor wasn't insured. Definitely could have been killed

  20. #20Welder Dave2023-11-29 01:04

    Didn't the police do any kind of investigation?

  21. #21BrianGrenier2023-11-29 04:16

    That's what I asked the Trooper. Questions that I asked: Will he get a drug screen? Will you note where the passing zone 1/2 mile (1500' away) is? Was he not paying attention? What was he doing? (Not paying attention? But he was passing! ) Will you note that there was no attempt at slowing and no attempt to warn me? (Trooper: "Oh. If he slowed, he might have lost control"!) He ended up in the opposite direction snow bank. How fast was he going? I said 60-65, considering how hard I was hit and how far down the road he was. What was I doing? I was in the road starting to move forward to break open the snow berm. (The tractor couldn't move after it was hit) Trooper told me he said He Was PASSiNG, going 40-45. My wife showed up quickly and expressed to the Trooper that it's absolutely a no passing zone. I said, look how narrow the road is here, and look at the poor sightlines each way. So. That was the investigation. What bothers me is that the other driver never came over to check on me. I asked about him and was told he was okay and by the time I picked up a couple of his truck parts and my tractor things out of the road and troopers had been there I went over to see how he's doing and he already left because he had talked to the troopers and didn't need to stay. My first thought after I got hit was "Oh, my tractor", with tears in my eyes! /Venting

  22. #22Acoals2023-11-29 06:51

    Generally speaking, the vehicle entering the travel lane bears the responsibility to yield. If he was just beginning his pass and therefore entering the oncoming travel lane, there might be a case. If he was already in the oncoming lane and you simply backed into his path you would be at fault. The no passing zone complicates things, but considering the lack of citation, it would probably require a good lawyer and a pile of money to prove fault.

  23. #23MG842023-11-29 08:03

    I agree with what’s been said already, you need to get a lawyer. There is a chance they could turn it around on you making you the party at fault. It would be awful if you (your ins.) had to pay for their truck and got nothing for your tractor. Technically the vehicles traveling on the road have the right of way, and anyone entering the highway must yield to them. The no passing zone and snow covering the markings is what complicates the situation. Unfortunately this may come down to who can afford the best lawyer.

  24. #24cfherrman2023-11-29 09:52

    That's what I thought but someone hit my sil the other day and didn't get a ticket since police was busy and animal control office came out, my sil followed up and the other driver got a ticket later. Op definitely put some pressure on for a ticket.

  25. #25BrianGrenier2023-11-29 11:07

    Damn good advice here. Having a lawyer check on State's position might yield better results as I had already spoken about why no citations with the responding Trooper and had sent him this picture of the scene in another season. The picture is from his direction of travel, southbound in the northbound lane. My tractor would be in the small driveway to the middle left (east). Double yellow, with a passing lane ahead.

  26. #26KSSS2023-11-29 15:24

    There wont be a drug screening, because no one was hurt and/or the Trooper apparently did not see any indications of impairment or he would have conducted a DUI investigation along with the accident investigation. I am about certain if it went to court, the finding would involve a shared responsibility decision. The other guy was passing in a no passing zone. That should not only have two solid yellow lines but also a sign at both ends of the no passing zone. If those signs are gone one could argue he would have no way to know with snow covering the roadway, and honestly to me, It looks like there is enough visibility to pass. The other issue is your in the roadway and partially obstructing it. While one argue that if your following the rules your presence should be fine, never the less your being on a roadway pushing snow will expose you to a certain amount of liablity. Given what has been written here, I would not go to court over this, I don't think your win is either certain or if there is a win, it will be a 60/40 type win which wont put your tractor back together, plus you will have expenses for that lesson. Let them fix your tractor and get on with pushing snow.

  27. #27Welder Dave2023-11-29 15:25

    There's no curve in the road or any other reason he shouldn't have been able to see you especially since you had lights and rotating beacon. I'd say the cops were being lazy. Imagine if it was vehicle with small children he hit. I'd guess because you were in tractor type vehicle they weren't treating it as serious. Even if it wasn't a double line every driver has to drive with due care and attention when passing. The double line is there for a reason and needs to be observed. The guy was obviously in a hurry and not paying attention. The company asked for estimates. Why would they do that? Maybe to avoid a bigger lawsuit?? Who knows, an investigation might reveal the driver doesn't have the best driving record and has had several speeding tickets and/or other offenses. I've heard of things like this where the driver didn't have a valid driver's license or wasn't authorized to drive the company vehicle. Maybe the company will do the right thing without you having to get a bunch of lawyers involved. If not the 1st thing to do is request a copy of the driver's driving record.

  28. #28Welder Dave2023-11-29 18:09

    I just thought of something else. If the driver that hit you works for a local company he probably drives that road a lot so he couldn't use the excuse he couldn't see the double lines. He would know of the double lines and that it's a no pass zone.

  29. #29cuttin edge2023-11-29 19:14

    Here you can't license a vehicle without liability insurance as a bare minimum. In a situation like that, my insurance company would go after their insurance company. No lawyers involved

  30. #30CM19952023-11-29 19:48

    $1M in auto or GL or both?

  31. #31BrianGrenier2023-11-29 22:46

    Well, it was Alaskan railroad truck, one that does dual mode on highway and the tracks. Nice new truck, one ton, heavy. Alaska railroad is part of the State of Alaska and yet they're an independent corporation and self-insured.

  32. #32BrianGrenier2023-11-29 22:49

    Only general liability. Truth is that I always plan on not having an accident but things happen. Tonight I pulled someone out of the ditch at the railroad tracks coincidentally, two trucks actually, with my road grader and thinking now if something goes wrong, what is my liability

  33. #33Tatersmt2023-11-29 22:59

    When I worked for the MDT we were not allowed to pull anyone out because of the liability if we damaged something.

  34. #34HarleyHappy2023-12-01 12:00

    Yep, days of me pulling people out in the snow ended 20 years ago for me. Pulled a young girl out one time and father shows up and said I broke her tie rod, not the wood pile under the snow. Told him to GFH and he actually had an attorney send me a letter. Told him the same thing. Eventually they dropped it but I said never again, unless it’s a family member or friend.

  35. #35KSSS2023-12-01 12:30

    Your liability is way more than what you got for pulling out the vehicles. If another vehicle crashes due to your pulling out the vehicles, guess who they are going to go after? Yea the nice guy was helping someone out, but of course, there were no signs put up on the highway indicating a crash up a head, caution lights or flares, someone professional trained in directing traffic and so forth. SO.... when insurance companies want to share costs of a claim, you are a pretty attractive target. Especially if someone is seriously hurt or killed in the crash. There is an awful lot of liability when pulling someone out, especially on a busy road, at night and so forth. The damage you may cause or be accused of causing to the vehicle your pulling out as Harley talks about is a part of it, but honestly it can be much worse than that. When you see a pull out, professional done on a busy road. There is a reason it is done that way. Because tow companies and individuals have been sued into oblivion for not protecting the other drivers on the roadway during those operations. The downside is you would like to help someone out and save them $500 for a tow truck, the reality is that in doing so, it really is at your own peril that you do that.

  36. #36BrianGrenier2023-12-01 18:22

    I got the Trooper report. Says that both parties denied fault. His statement was he was passing someone and was going 40 to 50 mph. The trooper noted there's no evidence that he attempted to stop or avoid my tractor. Trooper couldn't determine it was a no passing zone. This entire highway is no passing zone except for a couple of passing Lanes. In this case it was up a quarter mile with signage indicating the passing lane a quarter mile back. The corporation that owns the truck said for me to get a couple of estimates but I'm waiting for them to approve towing and the cost of the estimates (written and signed approval). I'm also waiting for a call back from a lawyer and will retain a lawyer if they don't approve the costs.

  37. #37BrianGrenier2023-12-01 18:38

    Not enough even for diesel. I pulled a lot of people out of the ditch on this road. That's ended, unless, like HarleyHappy says, it's a family member or a friend. Even then, probably needs a liability release

  38. #38davejo2023-12-01 19:00

    How did you end up in the spot pictured? Did you back into the road from the driveway right at the time the moron was passing southbound in the northbound lane? Or were you in the roadway for an established time working on the driveway entrance prior to the collision?

  39. #39Welder Dave2023-12-01 23:57

    So there were also signs indicating it was a no passing zone. It's seems pretty clear the guy wasn't paying attention as it doesn't appear he ever saw you if there's no indication at all that he tried to slow down. Like I mentioned before it wasn't his first time driving on this road. I think I'd proceed with getting the estimates. For automotive accidents I don't think body/frame shops generally charge for estimates. They're hoping to get the work. The company sounds like they want to do the right thing. The cost if there is one can be added to the estimate. You should act in good faith, the company aren't the ones that hit you, their employee did. If you start basically blaming the company they could become less and less favorable to deal with. If they covered getting everything fixed and you had to pay $500 or even $1000 for towing or estimates consider it a win. If you were found partially at fault or it was an insurance claim you'd have to pay that anyway. Also consider it would be a lot less than a lawyer would charge to take your case. Kind of a take what you can get deal. If the company is stepping up you might not have to pay much in legal fee's. If it does turn into a legal battle the truck drivers driving record could be very important, especially if he's had speeding tickets or other infractions even including a DUI. The fact he didn't appear to have even seen you indicates he might not have a perfect driving record.

  40. #40BrianGrenier2023-12-02 01:55

    It occurs to me that's been over 50 years since I've been t-boned in an accident. I was was sitting at a stop sign and got hit by a runaway car. Avis rent a car was doing an unsafe tow and their tow car came loose and hit my new car that I bought myself just before my dad died. He died just before Christmas. I don't feel that my State Farm agent helped me at all and I was without a car trying to get to work. Full coverage insurance for a 16 year old was $1/day, but full coverage didn't do much good.

  41. #41BrianGrenier2023-12-04 12:53

    Here's a hypothetical question. You're an employer and your employee gets into a traffic incident. Do you have the right to request the employees phone for review of usage at the time of the occurrence?

  42. #42cfherrman2023-12-04 15:05

    Probably not, you would probably need something in the police report or an admission from the employee.

  43. #43Welder Dave2023-12-04 15:25

    I wouldn't think so but if an investigation was required it would be something to bring up. In most if not all cases nobody is going to admit they're at fault. Why would the other driver try to help you? The only thing required is they provide their/the insurance information. Did the driver even do this?

  44. #44BrianGrenier2023-12-04 16:45

    The other driver never spoke with me but he did speak with the trooper and I now have the driver's name from the Trooper report. I am told that the employer is self-insured. I'm contacting the loss prevention officer to see if they will be accepting liability. In the report, the other driver claims no responsibility. It was a snowy road, the double yellow wasn't visible even though there was a sign before the incident and a narrowed roadway, if you know what I mean, there's no passing there. What I need to get is a estimate of repair for the tractor.

  45. #45Acoals2023-12-04 17:42

    Pretty sure a search warrant of some sort is required to search the phone.

  46. #46Welder Dave2023-12-04 18:17

    As I mentioned previously, unless it was this driver's very first time on this road he should know it's a no passing zone. I highly suspect it wasn't. If he tried to claim he didn't know or didn't see the sign then he's admitting he wasn't paying attention. What if it was a school bus sign and a bus was stopped to pick up kids? If the road was so snowy with poor visibility what the hell was he thinking going in the other lane and passing? You have a lot of things in your favor and it's important to consider all the finer details. The guy didn't see the sign, didn't see your lights and rotating beacon or the snow you were blowing but somehow thought it was safe to pass on a road covered with enough snow he also couldn't see the center (double) line?? Yeah, he was really paying attention to the road and weather conditions! It could be worse, he could be looking at possible vehicular manslaughter or a dangerous driving charge and a huge lawsuit with you being injured lying in a hospital bed. It's very easy to sue in vehicle injury cases because lawyers by law can't take any fee's unless they are successful. You have nothing to lose but do need to have very detailed and accurate medical condition updates and conformation from Dr's. and other professionals.

  47. #47Truck Shop2023-12-04 18:48

    The term {good samaritan} in law is actually worthless and no standing in most states. Washington State-Good Samaritan actions on a state highway depending on circumstances can get you a ticket-you have no training in recovery, no traffic control, and are risking life and limb and others by possibly helping. That is for tow companies, law has been on the books for years. The liability by by pulling someone out of the ditch can go so many directions.

  48. #48BrianGrenier2023-12-04 18:52

    @Welder Dave you're making very good points. Just a couple inches more and I surely would have had significant injuries! He admitted to losing control after impact and ended up in the ditch in the opposite direction of travel quite a ways down the road. It's possible that he was on the phone, or otherwise distracted.

  49. #49Truck Shop2023-12-04 18:55

    Phone can be checked in this state at time of incident if thought cell phone was a distraction, because cell use in this state is a secondary.

  50. #50Welder Dave2023-12-04 19:07

    If the road was so slippery he lost control after hitting you is also indicates that he wasn't driving for the weather conditions and may have been speeding, talking on the phone or even texting. I remember years ago when a kid about 18 years old killed several people in a van or small bus by going into the wrong lane. He was banged up but the first thing he said (as if it were an acceptable excuse) was "I was texting".

  51. #51cfherrman2023-12-04 20:23

    Good luck checking my phone in any state without a warrant,

  52. #52Acoals2023-12-04 20:38

    You can contact the company that owns the truck and inform them that the HEF jury has declared them guilty . . .

  53. #53Welder Dave2023-12-04 21:41

    I'm sure if an investigation was done it would/could include a check of phone records. Someone innocent wouldn't have an issue proving they weren't on the phone.

  54. #54Truck Shop2023-12-04 22:09

    Yeah it's kind of like a pee test--what's the issue if you have nothing to hide.

  55. #55Welder Dave2023-12-04 22:17

    Would be good to remember the time of the accident as accurately as possible.

  56. #56BrianGrenier2023-12-04 22:38

    HEF investigating team and shark tank: He said he was going 40-50, passing someone and I backed into him. My thoughts run to him being distracted, but if he's passing someone, he should've been attentive. I say I was sitting there getting ready to blow the snow berm. I was not quite halfway in the lane, on my side of the road. He didn't try to stop or sound a horn. He ended down the road about 170' with his truck parts all the way down the road and past him. A lot of his speed was absorbed by taking the back of my tractor off and the crush of his left front clip, but says he was going 40-50. How long had he been driving that evening? Was he trying to get back to the barn in under another hour to avoid overtime? (432pm, one hour to Anchorage) Maybe texting GF.? Why didn't the driver he was over-taking stop? Was there even another vehicle? I would think of he's passing, he would have been More attentive. Was he distracted with a phone? And maybe just wandered out of the southbound lane? I don't think he ever saw me, all lit up with beacon, three sets of lights to the rear and three sets of lights to the front. One set of lights to the rear light up the side of the tractor He wasn't looking. No one was going 40. Most folks are at 65 on the snow. Someone going 40 would have a very long line behind them. Did he get a drug screen? No tickets, so it's not a criminal case. Will the company pay for the estimates? I was getting my trailer ready today to tow it. They should pay for the tow and the estimates.

  57. #57Welder Dave2023-12-04 23:04

    You're way over thinking it to the point you're looking to clear yourself of wrong doing. Don't get all worked up over it where you're pulling your hair out and can't sleep. The company said to get an estimate. Look into getting that done. If the company is going to pay 90-100% of the repairs none of the other stuff matters too much. It's only if the company (or driver) doesn't want to pay or tries to blame you that the other stuff matters.

  58. #58crane operator2023-12-04 23:35

    I guess I’ll throw in some contrarian points. You have no idea if he was distracted, on the phone, or passing anything, because you never saw him either. You’re sitting still , or backing onto a highway with a snowplow, with poor conditions? You said you were only looking the other way. Doesn’t happen if you’re looking both ways. Trooper report says no visible lines for passing lanes , so he doesn’t write any tickets for fault so forget the cops doing anything. Any “what if” scenarios you guys are dreaming up, means absolutely nothing. Prove he knew it was a no passing zone, because he’s driven that road before? Never happen. Or all the “possible scenarios “ that could have occurred from his driving. I “could have “ taken out a 747 today with a spot mirror off a truck, blinding the pilots but I didn’t. The other driver didn’t kill three little old nuns crossing the street. He hit a tractor plow that was backed onto the highway, by someone not looking both directions. In poor conditions. They said they will fix your plow. All this fretting means nothing, unless they don’t pay. If you needed it insured for loss of income/ replacement , you should have had your own insurance, and that’s not their fault, that’s on you. If you had it insured for repair or replacement, it would be your insurance company going after them for it. I’m sorry it happened, I hope they come through and fix your plow. But I think any money spent on a lawsuit, would be better spent on a replacement snow mover.

  59. #59Welder Dave2023-12-05 01:59

    I agree with everything crane operator is saying. Go get an estimate since they told you too. All of the suggestions I gave are only things that could be brought up if the company denies paying for repairs or changes their tune and tries to put the blame on you. In that case you'd probably want an investigation and a lawyer to try and avoid having to pay thousands to repair their truck in addition to paying for your own repairs. In the heat of things it's easy to forget the little details. You'd want to use every defence you can to help limit your liability. Municipal or gov't. employee's are sometimes held to a higher standard when driving "company" vehicles. Hopefully this can all be avoided and they pay for the majority of repairs to your snowplow. Avoiding lawyers is almost always the best solution. If you had to pay say $2000 and they covered the rest consider it a big win. In the mean time get a reasonable estimate from a qualified shop. If it's inflated or the shop isn't really qualified it's more likely to be questioned.

  60. #60cfherrman2023-12-05 09:36

    It's your right to hide it, and you obviously haven't seen what the state can do when they want to tear your life apart even when your 100% innocent, and when they make the evidence say whatever they want it to say regardless of what's actually in there. It's in your best interest to make them get warrants AND make them break things to get in what they want to see as a bad warrant will get pushed off as you have consent. Hard to prove you have consent when they had to break in.

  61. #61BrianGrenier2023-12-05 11:05

    The benefit for me here is to shake a few ideas out and run them past friends. Thanks Crane Operator and others for the good advice. Back when I got t-boned as a 16 year old, I was watching traffic to my left and watched a Volkswagen with it's hood up, plow into my car. I tried to get out of his way but I couldn't shift in reverse quickly enough. It looked like a equipment problem and I could understand accidents like that, but it turned out that it was unsafe towing and now that's my pet peeve, whenever I see a trailer with no safety chain and sometimes even the ball coupling not fastened... This highway is littered with pieces of plastic and shards of metal from inattentive drivers causing a problem or not avoiding a problem. Put me in the later category last week... I usually try to watch at the end of a curve thinking that someone in the curve will go straight into me...that would be on their clockwise turn and they're going to go into oncoming traffic, if you know what I mean...lots of fatalities at the start or end of curve depending on your point of view. There's lots to look at when clearing snow and stuff happens all the time. Look at any plow truck and I'll show you a dent on the rear bumper. Why second guess myself that I didn't see the other guy out of his lane while looking for traffic in my lane? Well it's good to learn. We might never know the full details of this incident, but I still want to know what happened. If I see someone on the cell phone while driving I'd like to reach in there and just grab it and throw it on the ground rather than have that driver risking my kids or spouse life. So I am going to get the two estimates from heavy equipment repair facilities. There'll be a fee. I'm going to put the tractor on my trailer and drive it around at my expense. No money for loss of income with a couple jobs already but yes that's the free enterprise system in which I had elected not to purchase insurance for loss. We'll see what's reparable on this tractor. Looks to me like the engine block is broken with fuel, electric, structural and hydraulic issues apparent. I've had good advice here with some links to other tractors. This one that I have is 25 years old but it only had 2,000 hours, well maintained and was well suited to the kind of work that I was doing around here. 76 horsepower isn't a lot but it can move a fair amount of snow. The corporation may reimburse me. They say they're still trying to make a determination but have also asked me to get the estimates.

  62. #62Welder Dave2023-12-05 17:51

    I am saying a check of phone records could be part of an investigation to help determine fault if it got to the point where lawyers and courts became involved.

  63. #63cfherrman2023-12-05 18:23

    At which point they can get a warrant.

  64. #64BrianGrenier2023-12-05 18:42

    I can barely spell subpoena without spell check, but that's more likely since it's not a criminal case. If I was an employer with lots of vehicles, I think I would have cameras on every vehicle. It would prove innocence or fault with fewer questions. I have cameras on most of my cars, but my wife always disconnects the one in hers, not sure why¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/

  65. #65cfherrman2023-12-05 18:53

    I've been meaning to get fancy dash cams that replace the rear view mirror and are front and rear camera. A new system that I've seen is you get an android radio, which I have, and get a front and rear camera and hook it into it and use a dash cam software. I'm fixing up my young daughters truck I'll probably do that. $35 can save a lot of money and time.

  66. #66BrianGrenier2023-12-05 21:26

    One of the questions that I was asked by the Trooper was do I have a backup camera... @cfherrman your post got me looking at new systems. Lots of options are out there and I hadn't considered an Android based stem. The 360⁰ setup could be useful. A proximity sensor is good. And an infrared camera for those dark days.

  67. #67BrianGrenier2023-12-06 22:22

    Why does everything have to be so hard? Tractor was too heavy to come-a-long onto the trailer and the old international couldn't get traction and a good angle. The rear frame is so mangled, it's hard for me to find a lift point.I guess it's fire up the excavator time, (which I don't usually do in the cold)...maybe I can pick it. It should be the other party making the efforts. I re-read page one suggestions. The lawyer I contacted couldn't help because he represented (s) the other guy's company. Conflict of interest... Still looking to work with the company and I have to run around for valuation and repair costs

  68. #68cfherrman2023-12-06 22:49

    Keep track of your time and equipment used, may come in handy.

  69. #69Welder Dave2023-12-06 23:55

    What's the big deal if you have to start your excavator? I think you're making it hard for yourself. In a perfect world the company would send over a deck truck and look after everything. The reality is that that's a fantasy. See if there's a lawyer referral in your area. Here the law society will provide the names of 3 lawyers who specialize in the type of law you require. It's a free service as are most initial consultations with lawyers. Most will give you a 1/2 hour. You don't want to bombard a lawyer with too many details. You just want to give the most pertinent information. The lawyer will ask for more details as they see fit.

  70. #70BrianGrenier2023-12-08 18:36

    Got the tractor to Craig Taylor. Spoke with the mechanic a bit. He thinks Duetz engines are desirable. Lots of weight behind the Suburban... Ron came over with chains that fit the Suburban so I could make it up the hill.

  71. #71BrianGrenier2023-12-08 23:05

    Sold for $30k + fees

  72. #72BrianGrenier2023-12-29 12:30

    This Volvo skid with blower popped up yesterday. I think it's still available

  73. #73IceHole2023-12-29 13:03

    There's a Trackless with blower for sale on FB Market if you're needing one. Wants 20k for it.

  74. #74BrianGrenier2024-01-01 16:04

    Trackless would be a good replacement, but that one up Lazy Mountain wasn't worth my time, I believe. Small issues like the vice grips on the negative battery terminal or all the broken glass with oil leaks, corroded radiator and the blower was too small (48") made the decision easy. Prices on used specialty snow blowers seem to range range from $5k to $70. I need to get a fair value on my Holder. There aren't many available for comps. I'm willing to pay a licensed appraiser. That Volvo pictured above is still in the lake. -20⁰ the last couple of days and warming up to about 7⁰ today.

  75. #75cfherrman2024-01-01 18:29

    You might have to try to go with replacement value but insurance or they might not like that.

  76. #76IceHole2024-01-05 00:28

    Trackless is mostly 4 or 5ft wide stuff as it's made for sidewalks. I haven't seen one that DIDN'T leak. We have a fleet of them at work, seems like 1 leak gets fixed and 2 more show up! Sometimes it's easier adding a gallon or two of aw32 every day than thousands in parts and shop hrs trying to fix it. They are stupid money new. Boss was saying around 200k just for the tractor.

  77. #77BrianGrenier2024-01-05 16:18

    The neighbor, who used to work in adjusting for the North Slope and the school district, both also self insured, suggested that I get repair estimates, comparable sales and new prices minus depreciation. @IceHole , please let me know if any of your fleet are headed out to a sale of some sort=} It really sucks to be without that tractor. Snowblower tractors don't seem available for rent.

  78. #78BrianGrenier2024-01-26 09:13

    @Truck Shop , that Case at $13 was a good buy. A new snowblower by itself is over $14k. I'm still waiting on the shop to get an estimate. Parts availability is the problem on this 1998. Needs a new engine. That would be alright if it goes that way. The shop should know by next week so I need to also call around, as suggested, for other tractors like mine. Then make some kind of document with the numbers and send it off to the self-insured RR.

  79. #79Welder Dave2024-01-26 17:21

    I don't think you'd like a rear mount snowblower as much. Your machine wasn't new so if it couldn't be fixed you'd only get the amount it is worth for a replacement.

  80. #80KSSS2024-01-27 13:12

    I would go back to the New Holland Bidirectional. You can put a blower on the front and a blade on the back. Pretty hard to beat for snow removal. Yes they cost money, but they are not that expensive, relative to what they can do.

  81. #81Welder Dave2024-01-27 16:59

    A lot of bi-directionals have a loader (maybe quick attach) too. A loader and a blower would be awesome for snow removal.

  82. #82IceHole2024-01-29 14:37

    Talk to Greg at Knik Sweeping. Not sure if he's looking to sell any. He does have blowers I think aren't used

  83. #83BC Placer gold2024-02-01 10:55

    This just came up for sale local to me. (Penticton). Long ways from Alaska I know but looks to be a fair price….. I have purchased 2 excavators from Pacific rim and both were excellent units. Good people to deal with.

  84. #84BC Placer gold2024-02-01 11:02

    A couple more pics: (No affiliation, just thought this may be a good candidate for your operation)

  85. #85BC Placer gold2024-02-01 11:48

    If I didn’t have the skid steer I would be highly tempted myself…. We live in a snow belt, but first time in 20 years driveway down to exposed mud mid-winter. Can’t really justify a blower at the moment!

  86. #86IceHole2024-02-01 13:08

    Huh, that's like 8k in us $$

  87. #87IceHole2024-02-01 21:29

    I do but it's a PITA to haul it ~15 miles it to the house from my wood yard everytime it snows

  88. #88BrianGrenier2024-02-16 11:47

    @BC Placer gold Is there a Link to that C9700? I duckedducked Penticton and found https://pacificrimequipment.com/for-sale/ Appreciate it! That 9700 is a good one. It will chew up a 4'+ high snowberm. Good on fuel. Easy to operate. The wet clutch PTO is a concern for me since I had to split my tractor to repair it. Any equipment needs work, of course. I'm waiting for the dealer to complete the repair estimate. They're still trying to source an engine. My unit with a new engine would be alright=}

  89. #89BC Placer gold2024-02-18 17:47

    Yes Pacific rim equipment. It appears to have sold very quickly as the ad was removed when I looked a couple of days later. Hopefully you will have yours fixed up soon. They look like really versatile units with the blower & dump! Deutz engine? We have a 2 cylinder (2011 f2l) in a water pump, very good on fuel & burns really clean. Good luck!

  90. #90BrianGrenier2024-02-22 20:36

    Maybe a bi-directional is in my future? As the late Red Barber would say, I'm sitting in the catbird seat, like a batter with three balls and no strikes on him. The estimate came in at $90,000. I told my GF that we have to spend it all on a tractor or a loader. Not on her teeth. But, I am ahead of my skis. I'll see what they offer.

  91. #91Welder Dave2024-02-22 20:48

    Is that the price assuming it's going through an insurance company? Prices are always jacked up if going through insurance. Price out a windshield if you have glass insurance and then price out the same windshield to buy outright. It's a big reason why it's no longer very cost effective to have glass insurance. The estimate is higher than what your machine was worth before the accident. Very unlikely you'll get more than what your machine was worth. Did they give a complete breakdown on what exactly the $90K covers?

  92. #92BrianGrenier2024-02-22 22:32

    The estimate didn't itemize but the parts were $76k. I wouldn't think it going through insurance is the cost $$$ My request for the estimate was for my use, I told the Service manager, but I did tell them the story of how the party that hit me are self insured. They are a John Deere Dealer and I wouldn't mind a jd4075r which could meet my needs for being suitable for my needs of snow throwing, bucket chores, 3-point hitch mowing, overseeding. ($90k) A new TV 6070 would be way over the settlement money, but maybe used? I don't know really know what the replacement value for my machine is. There are so many variables. A decent replacement Holder tractor seems to be more money than $90. Depends where you buy it. I think equipment prices are just expensive, unless you are lucky and find an auction, but I'm trying to stop buying things online without a comprehensive inspection. Why doesn't ritchy bros offer that! Whatever I end up with, I think I need to rollover the funds dollar for dollar or I will end up with taxable funds.

  93. #93Welder Dave2024-02-23 02:31

    How you been in contact with the company that owned the truck? $90K seems really high. What's the engine worth?

  94. #94HarleyHappy2024-02-23 10:57

    Huh, I wouldn’t have given you 10k for it when it was in 1 piece. LOL

  95. #95BrianGrenier2024-02-23 11:18

    It's just an expensive unit. All the parts have to come from overseas. The engine was the most expensive part, but it wasn't itemized out. Repairing equipment is expensive. New equipment is expensive. Prices of used equipment should rely on condition but that's not always the case and price can vary widely.

  96. #96Welder Dave2024-02-23 16:16

    I'd want an itemized estimate at the very least. If the shop thinks insurance is paying the bill it's pretty easy to pad the bill. What are the individual parts worth and what is the labour to replace them? Is a new engine $50,000? At $90K, the machine isn't worth fixing.

  97. #97KSSS2024-02-23 19:58

    It will be interesting to see what the offer is. 90K to fix what you had is out of the box. Whatever it is, I would bank it will be very low, and you will have to fight to come out on this in a better position that what you went into it at. They will have to find sales of comparable machines I would guess to decide what yours is worth. Yours will just be considered totaled, no different that a passenger vehicle that is totaled, it really isn't revelent what it costs to fix yours, when its so far above its value. If it were me, if you haven't already done this, find your own comparisons. That way at least you will have an idea then of who realistic their number is. I would also mention the money lost while yours was down as a negotiating factor.

  98. #98Welder Dave2024-02-23 21:15

    I'm not sure the OP used his for commercial purposes so probably wouldn't be compensated for lost work unless he could prove he lost work or had to rent another machine to do his jobs. He couldn't just pull a number out of thin air.

  99. #99BrianGrenier2024-02-24 23:14

    I'm waiting for the offer, then see. Right now, I feel good enough. It's been a great year for snow and a bad year to be without the blower. I'm licensed and bonded and have invoices for past work. Comps are out there... $75k CAD, fob Montreal, for example.

  100. #100crane operator2024-02-25 09:38

    I don't see them paying a dime for missed work. But I could be wrong. The check is going to be for a replacement value of your machine, Year/ hours condition. Not for a 15 year newer one. So keep looking for comparable machines and print off copies of them. That's what is going to establish the value. They aren't cutting a check for $90,000 just because that's what the repair estimate is. Just curious, have they given you any written confirmation that they are going to replace your machine? Or just a verbal/ over the phone "hey- we'll take care of it, just get a repair estimate".

  101. #101BC Placer gold2024-02-25 09:42

    That’s how our insurance works. When I see machines up for sale I keep a file of that item in case something happens and we need to file a claim (forest fire is by far our biggest risk here)

  102. #102cfherrman2024-02-25 10:42

    What if there is no replacement value because where he lives or shipping a unit up there is expensive? I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread. I doubt the 90k as well but I'm sure it will be expensive.

  103. #103BrianGrenier2024-02-25 12:57

    They only gave me less than we will take care of it. I asked for written we'll take care of it, but we ended up talking past each other where the adjuster said if "I like to get two estimates.' The adjuster did acknowledge receipt of the one estimate. They have not denied responsibility. It won't be long and we will encounter the statute of limitations. Lawyer would cost 1/3 of any settlement. I'll keep looking for comps. I was told the newer machines are identical in the gear boxes and planetaries. So, I think it's not so much the year to identify a comp, but condition is. I had 2000 hours on the machine, new ECM and PTO clutch. Definitely shipping and other fees factor into replacement unit. It's a good unit for my needs. It seems we all like more HP, but that 76hp PTO drive blower moves snow and is easy on fuel. Flat tire on the blade due to my deferred maintenance while I was counting on the blower for snow removal.

  104. #104cfherrman2024-02-25 13:36

    I would talk to a friendly lawyer if you are worried about statue of limitations. Keep him on stand by so he could file the day before it runs out. It might also not run out because of a claim has been filed. I would not go the lawyer route if you can because there are serious pitfalls like not getting your money for years but 2/3 is better than 0

  105. #105BrianGrenier2024-02-25 14:10

    I met a lawyer, who said to call him anytime, which I did for this issue. He said he couldn't help me because he defends the the party I'm trying to work with. That's funny right there!

  106. #106KSSS2024-02-25 14:56

    Small town issues right there

  107. #107cfherrman2024-02-25 15:42

    Might have to go out of town, shady companies book up all the lawyers in town

  108. #108Welder Dave2024-02-25 15:56

    Does the statue of limitations apply if you're already dealing with the issue and an adjuster?