Does anyone have a good idea how to get on with a large company? Maybe starting on the compaction team, and then working your way up? I'm completely happy with my job right now. 10 peopleon six jobs:Banghead and that's the whole company. just ten of us But as always i am looking for brighten my young future. And thought i would ask. How hard is it to advance once you get into a position with a bigger company? I wonder if mcannichs ( sp? ) compaction team also has 100000000 hours on a machine also? Gotta start somewhere. Thanks guys. -Michael-:usa
I don't think it would be hard at all to get on with a big company. Big companies around here are always hiring people. As far as moving up to the top, I guess that it depends on how good you are.
Live Better, Work Union. All the big players in the dirt business around here hire exclusivly from the hiring hall at the local unions.
Turn in an app. how else? I've worked for big and small and big don’t have any advantages other then generally they travel more. I don't care to work for companies as small as you work for, but as long as they have at least 30-40 employees that big enough. Large international companies have there problems too. IMO keep out of the unions unless you like to play games.
I'm a little curious as to what it is your looking for? I've read several of your posts and you tell how the owners compliment you, put you in charge and you seem to have newer equipment and now they get a new D8 and write your name on it. Seems a little strange you want to get on a roller for a bigger company. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. To Most big companies your only going to be a number.
Sounds to me like your current employer is investing alot of money in you with training and equipment i think if he is treating you well you should stay .Do everything you can to make yourself valauble to him and if he is like may of use he will do what ever he can to keep you busy , give you raises, more benifits , maybe someday a good deal on buying the company when he retires . But remember its going to take 20+ years to get alot of theses thing accomplished ,so keep up the good work and the old saying good thing come to thos who wait should ring true for you
I was 19 once and worked for a small company like that, for some reason I never felt like I was any good till I went to work for one of the big boys in town. Now I can see that while I make about 2.5 times more an hour than I use to that money is not everything. Being treated very well is worth alot more money to me now than it ever has. Just make sure you remember what its like to look forward to getting out of bed every morning wanting to get to work.
You choose earthmoving as a profession. Don't choose it as a life. I chased at getting to the top myself. I operated equipment always pursuing perfection with a passion. Then there I was, skilled at running and doing finish work with a blade, scraper, or dozer. There wasn't any "ca-ching" you won, go to level 2. As a matter of fact big companies I worked for weren't in any hurry to move a skilled operator into management. My point is it sounds like you have a job where people are treating you well. Chill-out some. Getting treated well by others is about as good as it gets. Don't make the job your life, you will be disappointed. Be grateful you have a steady job you like and don't have to move all the time. Get a hobby, go to church, anything where you meet people and get a life. Because that is all you get: 1 life Or just go like crazy for 25 years or so, your choice.
1 to 10 where do you think you are as a number??? For the short time you have been there if i was you i would be greatful to have been given a chance first off !!!! Be patient unless things have turned to crap.Sounds like you are advancing up the ladder.When you stop advancing then you might want to get nerivous! As long at the small company is adding equipment and getting work,who know he might just be the next big company.With only ten people working now i would think that would you put you close to the top unless you really messup some how???? Just remember what goes around comes around! If you make him money i would like to think he will share it with you and the others! It is when they start treating you like a number is when you need to think about moving on. For me which i started my own business 30 plus years ago and still small.I'd wether own my small company ,instead of working for a big company!!!! Altho with that said there has been times! Good luck, be happy you have a job and it is close to Cristmas.Take care and count your blessing:usa
Well being young and to be honest. My only goals are to learn this profession, and treat other people one day as well as i am being treated now. I wont be afraid to reach out and help a young man. I had just got to thinking ( that's not always a good thing haha ) that if i went to a bigger company i would learn more. And have a better chance at getting more oppurtuties. I guess i'm wrong. We're doing very well right now. And i'm happy with using a shovel if i have too. Their's other guys who i work with that deserve their name on that dozer more than i do. But hey i didnt write it on there I already owe this man a good honest days work, and not a bit of slacking nature. Not many men would take a chance on one of young adults. that HONESTLY we come from a lazy generation. Being young i guess i just want to make the most out of my life. And zhkent being 19 i realize what you mean sometimes. Most weeks i work 65 hour work weeks. Turn right around and do it again, and ask where the time went later. The friends, are there. But they think i'm nuts. " You should be in college leave that dirt "stuff" alone." -Michael- Thanks again for your replies"_
One more thing, While the big jobs may be more complex overall they are divided into many jobs that focus on one thing. If you get on for a bigger company you will probably find yourself on the same machine doing the same thing for months if not years at a time. Spending a couple years driving a haul truck to and from the same spot may not do much for you in the way of learning. Where on the smaller jobs your duties change weekly, if not daily, giving you a variety of experience.
LOL I have learned the hard way that when some employers find out you are skilled at a machine you might never get a chance to run anything else. I now put both hands in my pockets when they ask who has run an off road dump truck or street sweeper.
Work for a small company for a few years so you learn how to work and not get spoiled. Then apply at your local operators union for the apprenticeship. I had my son work for my cousin for the first few years he was out of school. My cousin gave him suck jobs, worked him hard, but he learned. That's the best thing to do is work for a small guy, learn to work learn different things such as laboring grading with a dozer, running a loader etc. Then go work for a big company, that;s where the money is.
"Then go work for a big company, that;s where the money is." Not always and good money most of the time comes with a price. There are some good tips here. I wasn't very patient and it didn't hurt me any actually it did me a lot of good, but it wasn't easy.
Yep, that's what I've noticed. Having grown up on the eastside, there is basically zero union presence over there. I applied as an apprentice for the 302, I hope I make it in. Talked to a kid who was 18, fresh out of high school with very little operating experience who was accepted into the program, I figure I can make it in with 4 years experience. We'll see though, there are a couple big guys who aren't, I know Nelson & Son's out of Woodinville isn't and they're always hiring, if I don't make it into the 302 I have other options. Others here are correct, more than likely you'd learn more on a smaller crew. One day you're hauling equipment, next day you're doing something else. The regiment has to stay the same for large crews so everyone is working all the time and there's very little confusion day to day as to who's doing what. Very little machine trading going on, that's what worries me most about going union. I'll end up with a big outfit and I'll be on an excavator the rest of my life when I really want to get on a grader or do some finish work with a dozer. The good thing about unions is that you have to go back for training yearly so that presents an opportunity to try something you haven't been exposed to on the job. However, I think non-union big companies you'd get completely locked into a machine and you'd probably not get out of it, at least the union route allows you to switch up your training regiment on a yearly basis if you like.
I work for a small company, the excavation side only has 4 guys, probably 25 or so people total. we get great medical insurance, 401k (50% match), profit sharing, and i get some vacation time. I always work 5 minutes from home, and im more than busy all year round. I could be doing anything from backfilling a foundation to digging sewer or water mainline. I make very close to the union wage, but only because i asked for it, otherwise i would still be working for dirt cheap. I was on the out of work list for local 302, got a few calls for work and had to turn them down. I got a pretty big raise beween when i signed up and when i got a call. Like others have said the grass isnt always greener over there. I'm sure both sides have advantages but I wouldnt say working for a big outfit is as good as it gets.