Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Social media for marketing and more?

WerkBrau ยท 2012-05-24 10:24

Social media is all the buzz word and tool in marketing today. There are many forms of social media, this message board is an early form of social media. *LinkedIn - for Poessional types to connect. Generally this is a career / professional site. *Facebook - Mass open social network that is used by the public and businesses alike. *Twitter - short and sweet messages by persons and businesses alike. My qustion is...how many of you guys actually use social media in regards to work? For example, you 'Like' a facebook page for a local dealer, or contractor? You follow a company on LinkedIn?

Replies6
  1. #1CM19952012-05-24 19:41

    Personally, I don't see social media playing a big role in the majority of construction projects. The segment of the construction market I do see it playing a role in is the smaller residential jobs like landscaping and home improvement. For instance - A friend of a friend needs a retaining wall or deck built and one friend has a friend that does that sort of work. Through Facebook, I could see how this could bring you leads. Now if a developer is planning a new subdivision or shopping center, I doubt they would use social media to pick their contractor. This is from a contractors standpoint, it might be different if you are selling equipment or attachments.:beatsme

  2. #2John C.2012-05-24 22:28

    I like Linked In because I can separate my profession credentials from my personal life. The only people that can contact me on it are ones I select after they or I request it. So far as I know they haven't dropped me into junk mail hell by selling my name and address to the spammers or mail box scammers. I've never liked the idea of Facebook. As far as I'm concerned it is a toy for kids and stalker acquaintances. If I need to contact family or friends I use the phone of email. Facebook is actively marketing all your personnel information and used that fact as part of their IPO.

  3. #3WerkBrau2012-05-25 08:18

    My personal preference is LinkedIn. It is a very professional setting where I have strict personal control over my level of exposure. More so, when I engage in following a company on LinkedIn I can typically network with the employees who I am already talking to and working with in that company. As a business 'type' LinkedIn is great for B2B engagement.

  4. #4WerkBrau2012-05-25 11:37

    I just recieved my copy of 'Utility Contractor Magazine' for May 2012. This edition features a special article about social media in the Industrial and construction sector. For you those interested in this article you can read it online for free at: http://www.utilitycontractoronline.com/coverstory/2012/05-12coverstory.html . No I am not associated or involved in this publication in any form, I'm just passing along a interesting read about the subject.

  5. #5MagnetGenerator2012-12-17 21:09

    I think social media all depends on your industry. For instance, my industry, my customers are not looking for me on Facebook or twitter... but more social industries, or Business to Consumer industries have a better hack at it in the social media world. But Business to Business you rarely will get your times worth out of it. Unless you are providing for small businesses who also may be in the social world, but unlikely.

  6. #6john_knight2013-01-08 05:23

    Social media marketing has emerged as a powerful tool in generating advertisements on Internet. It plays an important role in business world today. Another big trend starting in online marketing is through search engine optimization. This is being done by means of publishing specific news on websites, along with their own custom website content.