What exactly are some companies that make them? I'm having trouble finding companies that make soil screeners on the internet. Just want to look them up and read up on them. Thanks Blake WA
Just Google "screen plants" . 19,400 entries!
Steve, thanks! I tried soil screeners, soil screens, topsoil screeners etc. etc. and nothing good came up. :Banghead Blake
I typed in topsoil screeners and a whole bunch of companies came up, some more specifics on size and production parameters you are interested in. Do you want a trommel style or flat screen and how big a machine are you going to feed it with.
I am purley looking into these just for curiosity right now...but I was more interested in the trommel style screeners to be fed by a range from a 580 backhoe to a 544 Deere loader, so a yrd. bucket to a 3 yrd. bucket. More than likely it will start out with a 580. Blake
Well I found the McCloskey trommel screens, they look pretty nice. The only thing I don't like is the spoils and overspill into the hopper piling up against the machine. I'd have to figure out something to prevent that or at least get it far enough away from the machine that I can safely scoop the dirt and not bang up the screen. But this is all just thinking around and nothing set in stone for a while. Blake
WE have a McCloskey trommel and works great on light materials like top soil, for wetter materials we use a Erin Finger screener, also we have a Trommex screener mounted on a excavator. Suprisingly works well with drier material. Trommex is made by Amulet www.amulet.com
Royer shreader Here is 1 like I have. it realy does a good job for mixing topsoil and cleaning it down to 3/8" I load it with a bobcat and a 1 1/2 yd bucket but have also used a 2 yd bucket. Works best with dry material like most others. I paid $2500 for it and parts are still avalable. powered by a wisconson motor. http://www.trinityequipment.com/used_equipment/8.htm
I sometimes dig a hole on the backside for the tailings,it keeps them off of the screener and makes it easier to get a bucket full when you are removing them for rescreening or disposal.Ron G
McCloskey's plant is about 3 miles from my house, they're all over the place around here. I haven't ran one, or fed one, but I know a few guys that have worked with/around them. Let me know if there's something specific you want to know, I can always use an excuse to stop in and get a closer look. Mark
Mark, thanks, I'll let you know. Feel free to go in and report back on anything that catches your interest with those machines. Blake
We have one of the large McKlosky's ,I cant think of model off hand. We use it on all our clearing jobs to screen raked root mass. The clean wood that comes out we can grind, the screened topsoil we usually leave for our customers. It gives us the ability to do a cleaner job when clearing than any of the competion,w/o having to haul anything off. We run 3/4 screens and generally get 45-75 yards per hour of topsoil.
Seastrike, what do you feed it with? It seems to me that the best way to feed a screen is with a loader. Between having to run around and grab certain materials to mix your soil just right and feed it to the screen seems best done by a 3 yrd or bigger loader. Blake WA
i feed a Finlay 390 Hydrascreen. it is a two deck screener. i ran top soil for the first time last year through it. the twigs and small roots seemed to blind over the harp screens, but i found that turning the pile over and letting the air get to it helped dry it out and it ran alittle better. we screen everything with it from topsoil to 6A so 2NS sand. the plant has adjustable feed rate. this is nice to get a good screen and still get good production. the plant is portable as well.
We usually feed with a 200 size excavator, preferably with a rake, but a bucket will do. We are usually in the woods and are screening to produce clean wood not screened topsoil, so our application is a little different than most. The only thing we care about the topsoil is the fact that I dont have to haul it off, and the contactors we clear for seem to like