Thought some of you might be intrested in this little project. The requirement was to widen the motorway verge by 2 metres ( 6' ) to facilitate the construction of a gantry base. In all 8 new bases for 2 full width gantrys and 2 that only spanned to the centre reservation. There are a couple of different methods I use to remove the crash barrier posts. I wont post pictures of grabbing them in the Q-hitch and bending them over as it would cause too much discussion another method is to get the post between the cutting edge and the teeth on my digging bucket and fold them over, or if they are in very tight as these were, push them over then get an outside tooth on top and the centre tooth under and crowd the bucket. I fitted a new set of teeth just after this to make things easier Getting down a batter with a duck is easy , getting back up again with a motorway hard shoulder at the top can be a bit tricky, so I reach as much as I can to make a pad to get out on to reach the bottom The soil is then loaded away for screening and reuse and the truck backloads stone to use as fill We had to change a 1 in 2 batter to a 1 in 1.5 and it had to be done properly as a drilling rig would be sat on the finished item to install the piles. This is the first bench. I then worked my way down using the compacted fill on one side and a cut in the original batter to keep myself level, the cut material is leveled and compacted as we go so it isn't wasted.
The pictures dont show it very well but the batter continues down about 20' more to the verge of a slip road, hence the chains on the wacker plate. If that went off the edge the guy would not have a hope in *ell of holding it, its difficult enough to control oneself on a batter Once the benching was up a few layers it was wide enough to do away with the wacker plate and use a tandem roller Once about halfway up I had to trim the batter as the topsoil had to go on before I was finished as I wouldn't be able to reach from the finished top All that was about 2 months ago and you will see in this picture the base is ready. We were sent back to backfill around the base and sort out some washout channels in the topsoil. July August and we shouldn't be having the rain we've had to do this damage The problem was the traffic management had moved the temp barrier in to give more room in the centre to construct those bases and as a result I couldn't get access for the duck, so we used the trusty baby Hitachi, BUT although I would happily take the Hitachi down the batter I knew I wouldn't get back up again and yes I had the seat belt on :cool2 This is where the chains were going
I was too stupid to think to take any pictures of the piling rig on the couple of occasions I was near it,:Banghead but this is the proccess after the rig has gone. This is nightshift in the centre reservation, traffic is reduced to lane 1 running only, giving us lanes 2 & 3 to work in. First dig around the piles and clean any spoil off the steel. Ready for the concrete blinding layer. A couple of nights later with the steel work in place. I was there to place the shutters. 2 nights later, ready for the concrete pour.
Fuel line You all enjoyed those pictures so much I thought I'd add a few more This runs under the new viaduct and through the compound where cranes and heavy trucks would be operating to build the new viaduct, so it had to be protected :beatsme That was 2 years ago and now the job is complete the farmer wants his field back No breaker allowed over the pipe for some reason but you can saw cut to 12" which makes life easier Specification from Esso was 8" of concrete with 1 layer of mesh But I think somebodys tape was broken Once I had the slabs clear of the line by at least 10ft I was allowed to use the breaker.
Just to add to the fun there was a sewer pipe that got the same treatment with the same restriction on no using the breaker over the pipe I found the easiest way to break the slabs was by dropping them on each other then pulling the sections apart to break the mesh. Just to clarify that statement, once clear by at least 10ft I dropped the corner of a slab so it landed on the edge of another with the result that the slab would break its back or at least crack, by doing it a couple of times slowly I managed to get the slabs into managable lumps for loading away.
Very impressive work!!
Well I missed the first series of posts, but I for one like it. Nice photos and great explanation of what's going on.:notworthy:drinkup With a wheeled excavator like that, is it weird getting used to looking around a steering wheel? I'm somewhat surprised that one OEM or another hasn't done away with it completely, somewhat like Cat did with the M-series motor graders. Perhaps it would be a little too awkward though:beatsme
Thanks Jim. :drinkup The wheel in my machine lifts and tilts and to be honest in general operation it does not obstruct my line of sight. If trenching and working in close it does but you get used to it rather like wipers in the rain you look past it. C@t I believe have introduced joystick steer and probably others wont be far behind but I think it will be a long time before you see a duck without the wheel due to the roading that they do. IMHO
pipeline hi rob nice pictures it does not take long to get a visit by a helicopter if you start to dig near the pipeline without permission cheers graham
I learnt that a few years ago about a mile up the line from where these pics were taken. I had unloaded a 36t exc and went through a gate and turned right to park up. While sat there a helicopter appeared and was very intrested in something that was obviously very near me, it was almost like he was buzzing me :beatsme within half an hour a 4x4 arrived and wanted to know the ins and outs of who, what why where, once he calmed down he showed me the pipeline markers in the hedge about 30ft left side of the gate, luckily I was heading the other way about 1/2 mile All the time I was removing the slabs there was a representative in attendance.
I kinda figured that was what it was like. I've not yet been in one though, so I asked. A buddy of mine is running a M318c on a job in VA right now. Said it took a little to get used to the steering wheel and difference in the boom, but he likes it now.:usa
ok so for an aussie what u mean a helicopter appears? who owns the chopper and how do they know u have just unloaded a digger? in aus we have dial before u dig but i have seen burst gas and water mains go hours before someone can even get someone to answer a call before it is looked at (often fixed before the thing is reported)
It really does mean what it says......... Get within digging distance of that fuel line and a helicopter will appear I dont know how they know but they know. A representative of the pipeline owners ( certified subby ) had to be in attendance before I could begin to remove those concrete slabs and I stopped when he left. Once 10ft clear he wasn't bothered as long as I didnt use explosives I believe that the line is visually sighted daily, either by road or air or both.
It is common that a line that carries petroleum product gets flown at least once a week. They are nothing to play with. You never know what is being carried in that line at any one time. The line I worked around in Columbus Oh carried everything oil based. Could be crude, could be gasoline, could be diesel, could be jet a or kerosene. Work in the area without notifying, it was a given that Marathon would be stopping by pretty quick. On our project we were balancing the site with scrapers. Our cuts were on one side, our fills were on the other. We had to build a bridge over the pipeline. 15 feet in each direction. We laid matts and steel plates over the line itself. Then built the area up with 6 feet of clay. This was what they wanted. The reason was they were afraid the weight above would move the earth around the line. The soil tended to pump in the area. Ive also heard stories high tension powerlines getting the same type of fly over and drive alongs as these petroleum pipe lines
Yeah, they power comapny sends choppers along the power lines around here daily. Especially since our town's home to one of the Northeast system's main substation facilities and at least 4 major high-tension lines intersect there.
Duck Pics! Hey Rob! Thanks....:notworthy
I,ve been rumbled I am getting stick for not updating what I've been up to. A couple of months ago I moved to a new contract that was just starting. The plan was 8weeks to build the compound which will be the operational base for a major motorway upgrade. It consists of new office block, a visitors/education centre ( for liason with locals, schools etc) a stores block and secure area, earthworks contractors storage/parking area (fuel and oils storage etc) and a caravan site for the clowns who will do the work all in a green field. First I had to get there, and the guy I was on hire to likes to make good use of any transport, especially if its going on a 2hr journey, so apart from the duck, 5 buckets, breaker and block grab we also had a few sheets ( 20) of steel reinforcimg mesh and a diesel tank. It was intresting getting it all on especially as we were going through a tunnel that doesnt like ........ well you can guess which part of the load we should not have taken. Put a sheet over it and wont look like a tank on a lowloader at all On route. Upon arrival I found a green field, one cabin a PC210 and an ADT and a D6M Looks like they are going to start now that the competition has arrived, I must have frightened um :cool2 Oh the pleasure of a green field, NO TRAFFIC :wierd
Green fields maybe dont have traffic but they do have other considerations. Mid pressure 8" GAS main running through one section, another in the verge where we want an exit plus fibre optics and water also in the verge where we want an access. Thats the problems, the benefits.......................all work for ME Now these gas mains and there protectors can be a right PITA but we had a couple of the nicest most laid back couple of guys you could wish for. Abide by the rules and everybody gets on fine. No drama queens, real down to earth sensible guys. A credit to their trade :thumbsup They didnt want the ADT running over the pipeline ( I dont blame um) but were quite happy for the D6 to strip that section, sensible. Once the topsoil was gone they marked out the line of the pipe and we excavated 300mm ( 12") for a concrete crossing pad. Dont even start to workout the ground pressure exerted by my 17t duck on 10:00x20 tyres compared to a Volvo A25E............ DONT make waves, everybody stays happy :angel Must be serious earthworks.............I'm mixing with the BIG boys :cool2
And no muti vehicle wrecks that happen right next to ya'! People can do some stupid things driving through construction zones. ointhead Looks like your going to have too much fun at your new sandbox Rob. You guys must have some really loose soil to make a cut with a bucket that wide. Here in East Tennessee, with all the clay in the soil, you'd be hard pressed to find a bucket that wide. A cut here requires a much narrower bucket...and teeth. Have fun!
helicopter we have had a visit from the helicopter on some greenfield jobs with orders to stop digging ,until they realised the third man with us was one of their own ointhead keeping an eye on us ,he found it very amusing cheers graham
We'll have plenty of that once we get going out on the carriageway. I agree its frightening just how stupid some people are. I must admit to being a bit naughty with that gimpy bucket. The ground is firm but having been cultivated is not what I consider hard at that depth. But it was about on the limit. If I had to go down another 6" I would have changed it to my digging bucket to bulk it out.
While the serious topsoil stripping was going on The matter of how to get in and out of the new compound became top priority as the neighbour did not appreciate us using the one field gate right opposite their drive. On one side we have a motorway slip road so thats out, opposite side is a small but busy 'B' road that will provide the access point but needs traffic management ( traffic lights ) in order for us to work so thats out for now. The site exit is going onto a small service road just about here. But the verge has Gas, Water, Electric and Telecoms in it. So the hedge had to come out like it was made of tissue paper, (very carefully incase the roots were around anything.) Once a trial hole had confirmed the position of the services, out it came. It was a simple job then of reducing the ground, placing and compacting some hardcore, a layer of mesh, some 12"x12" for shuttering and fill it up
i like you r-bar chairs!
Time for an update Once we had a slab over the gas pipe we started to cut out for the road, that C@t looks familiar While we were doing this the big boys were doing the cut and fill to make the pad for the offices. The original cut batter was to be about 30' to produce enough material. But at about 10' they found running sand more work the result was to import loads more hardcore and construct the rest of the pad with that. As soon as the pad was ready it was full steam ahead with the concrete pads for the building to sit on.
What thumb! who needs a thumb This was one very lucky crane op, having a duck move his mats and additional weights around the site for him. 1 Unit to a truck, be it an office or washroom. A total of 42 units make the main offices in an H shape. Just suprised nobody has tried landing a Helicopter on it
The crane For the crane fans. A few closer shots of the crane adding his extra weights They simply hang on the side of the main weights before he slews 180 and picks them up :cool2
familiar hi rob great pics ,i was off up the M1 today to wellingbourgh and thought that duck looks familiar have you much to do up there cheers graham
Its still there then ? Another week then back at Dartford for a fortnight just to reinstate the recovery bays and construct a new field entrance, then back to the M1 to replace all those noise barrier panels that you might have noticed had been lifted out. Then there will be a long xmas break till the kickoff in mid Jan. At least I know I have work to go at in the new year.
M1 yes i did notice the panels with yellow "x,"s painted on them also looked to be a bit of tree thinning going on yes its still there ,,ditching bucket under the foot and all we are very quiet at work i did a burst outside greenshelids jcb at farnham a couple of weeks ago and saw the sister machine to your canal one all ready for export ,all the buckets were welded into the ditcher cheers graham
power! I dont know if its the same the world over but I have great difficulty working out why on earth it takes months and months to get mains power into any new build. Be it temporary or perminent, this site will be in place for over 6 years. As a result a Genny is needed Complete with filled fuel tank This had me :OMG :scool now that is :jawdrop
Thanks for the pics and story line Rob, interesting read.:drinkup We haul the 500 gallon tanks in the dump truck so they won't be noticed on the highway. Empty of course.. Must be the first thing they teach the engineers at the University of International Electrical Distribution. Class 101 - How to drag any project out for mind-boggling lengths of time. It is the same here and another country I have worked in.
Woah! there Rob,what you doing with the suicide ladder won't allow em on my sites.
:yup of course, what the eye dont see the heart wont grieve about :thumbsup That is really intresting, I really expected it to be an, "only here" type of problem. I really dont understand how they are allowed to carry on the way that they do. :bash First it aint mine it was the truck drivers, and 2nd I've never seen or heard of such a piece of kit. I thought it was really neat but you obviously have encountered them before. Are they really that bad/dangerous or is it a case of them getting used for way in excess of what they are designed for? It seems a perfect bit of kit for this operation but I am very intrested in your comments/experiences.
With reference to the telescopic ladder Rob if they are not opened up correctly and checked (some of the retaining clips stick after a time) when a person passes this point (rung section not correctly locked) the section below will collapse to the storage position.This as you can imagine will do harm if you are 3/4 way up and the bloody thing telescopes down,this will result in an injury.I have experience of this happening on two occasions first was two broken fingers and a partially amputated one,and the second resulted in a compound radial fracture of both the tibia & fibula.In monetary terms the latter was close to 60,000 pay out as the individual was left with a pronounced limp. I doubt if that ladder conforms to the regulation BS 2037/BS 1129 or EN131.Under our reg it now definitely states "Domestic ladders should not be used in ARDUOUS situations i.e construction sites" General applications pt 4 2007
That looks like a great portable ladder. Never seen one like it before. I imagine they could be trouble if the user did not make sure each section was properly locked in place. It looks like Stock posted while I was fooling around. The problem sounds like what I expected though.
Thanks for the heads up, it makes perfect sense when you put it like that. As I said I have never seen them before and thought it really neat, .......think again Einstein !! A very good point. I must admit I dont know if they are for the domestic market. :drinkup
Cost us over 60k+ to find out they didn't conform to our regs
Hey Rob, how do you like that 170 terex? The company installing water mains in town has one, it seems like a slick machine.
AtlasRob: Thanks for the new pics!
Now there is a man who knows his numbers, you are quite correct it is a TW170 now. German engineering, built in the original Atlas factory, I think that speaks for itself. A few changes by Terex since they took over but still a very good product IMHO. It did break though but dont they all at some point, its the response you get when they do break that is the important thing. You might have seen this. I cant fault the service backup and advice/assistance whenever I need it. I have never had chance to put it against any other make for on site comparison but am convinced it will out perform many of the opposition but probably at a premium cost. It was specced for Sweden or Norway originally and has loads of extras I would not normally have but was in a bit of a bind at the time. I do know it will lift and shift things that other machines ( well thier ops ) would not consider. I have lifted carried and set 5 ton concrete blocks for camera bases on a previous job. They made them then wondered how the hell to shift them. I would not spec legs as a choice and very rarely use them but must admit the extra weight has been a bonus at times but the ground clearance a hinderance at others, thats always going to be the catch 22 with any machine set up. A mate ran a Leibherr ( the mutts bits as far as anybody in Europe is concerned) had problems with a hub seal. He felt he was shafted over it and subsequently will never have another from them, he replaced it with a Volvo and is over the moon 2 yrs on. I am not ignoring you I will reply to the PM tomorrow, it needs time, something I get little of at the weekend. Couple more nights as the weather messed up the work shedule.
I received this by Email to day from a commercial presentation (NOT TAKING CREDIT FOR THIS) and recalled this thread,I have never used this product but apart from the pretty petite model with the wrong foot ware it seems to tick all the boxes for H&S http://www.theworksafeplatform.co.uk/
:lmao Thanks for that, I have forwarded the link to site. I assume she will travel.
Out on the carriageway! I finally escaped the compound to go and do some proper work I thought these were t(h)ree fellas but there were only two of them. The hardshoulder ( verge) is on the move so has to be reinforced before a contaflow can be installed Removing the timber. Lucky I watch Axemen Tarmac millings/planings as tempory fill Once I was sure I had sufficient material I cut myself a step and started to build the fill up in layers A bit tight for space but a good lad on the roller with a bit of ballet dancing to change ends.
Sorry rob the attachments don't work.
Sorry about that, as soon as the thread loaded I realised they were the wrong pics, then did it again :Banghead
Heres a view from lower down Put the fence back up on your way out!
Those ashphalt millings sure are useful, there is not a dirt track, dirtroad or driveway around here that doesn't have a couple cubic metres of the stuff on them...