Kiwi Loggers Liebherr 944 with logmax
Logging
Sharing th Pics ! Logging NZ
Awesome pics! You should make a thread in the forestry equipment forum!
Nice to see Logmax products in NZ! I worked for Rocan Forestry, and we manufactured the Logmax 12000 as a subcontract for Logmax. It was one impressive harvesting head.
Oh yeah not a bad idea ! I think i might just do that.
Yeah i didnt mind the logmax 12000, only downfall for me was that it couldnt break the bigger branches off stems, or handle bigger pieces wood as we needed it to. Appart from that, it was a good piece to work with.
Great pictures, thanks for sharing them. Aloha. Kalai
Where abouts are you based nzloggaar? I worked in Kaiangaroa and over towards Napier for Carroll Skyline Logging in the late 90's.Do you know if they are still running?Last I heard they were up in Northland,that was about 2000.
anyone use logmax and waratah What would be your preference Logmax or waratah, wondering about strokers too
Nice pics!!
nzlogaar, was wondering why there are no heels on any of the loaders pics ive seen in New Zealand? great pics, looks like a nice running show. Hope to see your beautiful country soon (hopefully to trip some wood to haha), have a ground based show to sell off first i guess. anyway, thanks again
There are live heels available and made in NZ. Part of the equation is the live heel adds weight on the end of the 'stick' and moves the grapple further out so it will reduce the weight of the logs able to be picked up. http://www.satco.co.nz/?page_id=34 As the more difficult places are logged there will be a few more live heels in NZ as logs need to be taken away from the hauler from small landings to be processed and stored elsewhere, and the logs need to be picked up by their butts. This video shows a current day NZ operation - Thunderbird TSY 155 - JD 2154D - Duxson grapple (no live heel) loading and JD 3754D with Waratah HTH626 processing head on landing plus auxiliary Hitachi-s. http://youtu.be/wb1HlZhiWUs
This is an article on Dave Paul with his Cat 330d FM/ South Island , NZ . Click on the pic to show the live heel a bit better. http://www.odt.co.nz/news/business/93593/new-logger-put-through-paces
As I understand it you guys do allot of loading from the side, in which case the live heel isn't really needed. Here in the NW we load from the back because of small landings so the heel is needed. But I don't think the extra length the grapple is pushed out and extra weight of the heel is going to affect the weight of the logs you're pickin. I can see it if you're using a machine that is slightly marginal weight for the job. Especially when not using Shovel booms, which are optimized for picking not digging. Maybe you could explain the logic a little better as I'm not seeing it... Just a curiosity thing not bashing the way you guys do things. Wes
Nice pics!
Bit of steep slope harvesting from a crew in nz
Hyundai 380lc-9 with logmax 12000 head. belongs to Harvestpro NZ
Good pictures Loggin_it! I really love your pictures especially the last one. It looks nice because it's covered by a snow.
I also think the fact our loaders spend a fair amount of time sorting grades a heal isnt a justified necessity and the side loading factor
Off topic a little but does this land get reseeded or does anyone plant seedlings etc to reclaim the land after clear cutting it?Ron G
I am not sure about in NZ, but I am sure it is similar, but for our clearcut operations, for just harvest purposes, it is on "tree farms". They are tracts of land, and their specific purpose is to be harvested, replanted and then harvested again in a cycle. So yes, at least in the US and Canada they do get replanted.
I knew that we did that here but did not know what they did in New Zealand.I have a friend there that calls me occasionally and he is involved in forestry who I should be asking but I could never think of it while we are chatting of course.Thanks for your reply.Ron G
I'm fairly sure that machine didn't last long
There are a number of pine forests that were planted out in the great depression of 1929 as work for the dole sceams. They are harvested on a 25 year cycle. One of these forests, Kaiangaroa was when planted the largest exotic forest in the southern hemisphere at 1.25 million acres. Now some of these forests are being converted back into pasture as dairy products are the big earner for the country.
I like this one. Looks awesome man!
It generally gets re-seeded with pine etc or as others have mentioned turned into dairy pasture (one of nz's biggest earners)