Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some guy has a wheel loader on his property. I need to get it started. However, I’m an absolute complete NOOB

AmishSlimJim · 2024-09-06 16:21

Hello, I know a guy who has an old Clark Michigan 175B loader sitting on his property for 5+ years. He said I can have it if I get it started/off his property. What should I do? I don't know anything much about diesels other than the very very bare basics. What should I do with it before I start it? What happens to the hydraulics if they haven't been used for long? The bucket is currently down on the ground. My plan is to check the oil and coolant. If a wheel loader is sitting on some field for 5+ years, surely the coolant and oil is unusable at this point? Do I flush it out? I doubt the batteries are in good shape. Also, how do I properly inspect the wheels? This wheel loader has MASSIVE wheels. How do I know if they're in good shape or not? How do I safely pump air into them? I heard horror stories of tires exploding. What would you do? What would you look out for to get it running? What are the common problems? I'm also going to make sure all the air vents are clear. This thing has been sitting out in the wilderness and you never know what sort of birdy mama built up a nest in there. I'm very green in this field and I just want to get my foot through the door. Thank you for your time and help.

Replies88
  1. #1Cliffy2024-09-06 16:38

    Hi and welcome to HEF. First thing to ask, why was it parked up in the paddock? Has it had a major breakdown down that was more worth more than the machine. Do you have a use for the loader? Please dont say “Youtube series on getting it restored” All I see is an old money pit.

  2. #2Vetech632024-09-06 16:53

    Take a pic of it, advertise it on EBay, sell it and let it be their problem.

  3. #3AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 16:56

    The owner says the loader was there before he arrived. It came with the property, and it seems it was left there. The owner of the property before him died. Too old to drive it? To take care of it? I don't know. I believe that if you have something, you will find a use for it. I just want it as a passion project. Something I can call my own and tinker with. I'm a hands on learner and I'm really interesting in heavy machinery. My dad is ok with me having it on his property. However, I understand what you're saying about it being a money pit. I'd like to give it a try and get it running again. I just love this stuff. Thank you for your time.

  4. #4Tones2024-09-06 17:17

    Check if the engine will turn over by hand to prove it's not seized. If thats ok then jumper leads and batteries are the next step. If It fires up the good, if not, run. With the engine running check if it will move. If no, run as fast and as far as you can. This ain't a job for learners.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-09-06 17:17

    All good. Just as long that you understand that each tyre is worth $2500 if they don’t hold air. jump starting will need a 24v system. I would just check coolant level. Drain the first bit of engine oil. Water will settle to bottom. Hydraulic hoses and orings will perish over time. IF, if it starts. Be careful of high pressure hydraulic leaks.

  6. #6JaredV2024-09-06 17:20

    What engine does it have? Depending on the engine you gotta be careful when you start it so it doesn't run away, mainly Detroit.

  7. #7Queenslander2024-09-06 17:32

    Iam impressed. It took all of 2 seconds to google up this very comprehensive operators manual. You can’t do that for most modern machines. https://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/MICH_175B_OPS427C438C.pdf

  8. #8Coaldust2024-09-06 17:36

    I would find a different passion. Choose a money pit with more utility or collectibility, so when your passion dies on the vine, you can sell it to another chump. Something cool like an old Caterpillar track type. Chicks dig big dozers. Wheel loaders, not so much.

  9. #9AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 17:42

    My best guess is that the engine is the 8V-71N . Or it could have the Cummins NTA-855-C. 8V-71N is a Detroit series. What do I do to prevent it from running away? By running away you mean rolling away because the breaks aren't working? Couldn't I just chock the wheels to stop them from rolling? Might be pointless when the wheels are so huge... Thank you for your time.

  10. #10AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 17:45

    It it doesn't fire up... Why should I run? Thank you for your time.

  11. #11Vetech632024-09-06 17:45

    This is a nuclear bomb just waiting to explode. This could be a record setting thread. Get the popcorn and bourbon ready!

  12. #12AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 17:46

    Cheers will look into this. I will actually print it out and study the heccck out of it.

  13. #13Coaldust2024-09-06 17:49

    Yes, this could be epic. Or, Slim Jim could be trolling us. Either way, I’m in. Going to brew a pot of Ravens Brew and settle in for the antics.

  14. #14AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 17:51

    Yeah, I like big dozers and would much prefer to work on heavy machinery with tracks than wheels. However, there isn't much around here and this is the only piece of junk that I can get my hands on. It's pretty local to me. Thank you for your time.

  15. #15Coaldust2024-09-06 18:05

    Welcome to the HEF. Good to have you. Head over to the new member forum and introduce your self. Let’s do this right. Besides your antique loader fetish, tell us some more about yourself.

  16. #16AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 18:05

    How dangerous is it? I've never worked on diesels before. I know the hydraulics can kill you and I'll try staying away from them. My goal is just to start it and get it running. I won't touch any of the hydraulic controls for the log claws. Surely the breaks are good? How do I prevent it from running away and going out of control?

  17. #17AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 18:08

    When the only girl that shows you any interest is a big yellow front loader... you just gotta take it. Haha.

  18. #18Coaldust2024-09-06 18:12

    The other way it will kill you is getting caught in the articulation zone. It’s a miserable way to go. Give Kenny Logins a call and let him know you are headed to the Danger Zone. ⚠️

  19. #19AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 18:19

    Alright, now I know what a diesel runaway is. I thought you guys were talking about it rolling off because the breaks are crap, lol. What do I do if I face this? How do I make sure it doesn't happen? Block intake to suffocate the engine? Spray C02 fire extinguisher to replace the oxygen already in the engine? How common are runaways?

  20. #20AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 18:52

    Ok, so I find the crankshaft and I attach a wrench to the bolt and spin it clockwise. If it spins freely then I know it hasn't seized up. However, if it doesn't spin at all. What do I do? Does this mean the engine is gooped and I need to take it all out / replace engine? Do I need to remove belt?

  21. #21Vetech632024-09-06 19:05
  22. #22Vetech632024-09-06 19:10

    This is nuts lol

  23. #23AmishSlimJim2024-09-06 19:20

    What's going to happen is me getting the sweet sweet girl purring again and driving her back home. I already have a use for her.

  24. #24Mike_272024-09-06 19:23

    Is the air cleaner on it? Was the exhaust covered?

  25. #25DDoug2024-09-06 19:24

    An amish kid that can't get a detroit running ?

  26. #26crane operator2024-09-06 19:42

    Why can't the young, just waste their money on hookers and blow anymore?

  27. #2792U 34062024-09-06 20:02

    Honestly if its got fluids in it that aren't water contaminated and the engine can bar over by hand I'd just send it. Obviously I would pull the turbo inlet pipe and have a heavy piece of plywood ready in case it runs away and a wrench to pull the battery cables in case there's a dead short once power is connected. A fire extinguisher or two wouldn't hurt either.

  28. #28OzDozer2024-09-06 20:15

    I tend to think AmishSlimJim is having a wonderful time, leading a bunch of you very helpful guys down a long and winding garden path. Just my .02c worth.

  29. #29Camshawn2024-09-06 22:29

    I’m ready, full beer in hand and more on standby…..

  30. #30Welder Dave2024-09-06 22:43

    Yes, they came with Cummins or Detroit engines. The Cummins being the better choice. Detroit's are noisy, leak and more known for runaways. You need to make sure everything is free before trying to start it. The Detroit experts could help you there. Having an experienced diesel mechanic with you would be the best bet. I knew a guy who bought a 175B new with a Cummins. He said you couldn't hurt it. Have read in the past they are fairly basic machines that could be worth trying to resurrect. Brakes tend to need work done on them. There was a video online several years ago about a couple of guys getting an older Clark loader going. Can't remember if it was a 175B or 275B. Check fluids and see if it turns over are the 1st things to do. If it's seized probably not worth pursuing.

  31. #31AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 01:19

    I didn't see it. I'll pop over to his property next week and have a closer look. It doesn't have a muffler, and there's a bucket on top of the exhaust. It is covered, indeed. My best bet is that it does have an air cleaner inside because that's an essential part of the machine.

  32. #32AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 01:20

    Hahaha.

  33. #33AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 01:22

    Because I live around meth heads. No way I'm spending my money on toothless goblins.

  34. #34AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 01:26

    Am I turning over correctly? I open it up, find the crankshaft and put a wrench onto the bolt. Spin it clockwise and if it spins freely then that tells me it hasn't seized. However, do I need to remove the belt? Anything else to remove before trying to turn it over? Not many diesel mechanics around me. I'll have my fingers cross and hope it's a Cummins. Cheers

  35. #35Welder Dave2024-09-07 02:29

    You'll need a pretty long bar to turn it over but if you can get it to make a full revolution it isn't seized. It would really help if you had someone with more experience to help you.

  36. #36JEVANS2024-09-07 03:10

    Id say skip barring it over. Hook up some pixie power and hit the starter. If she cranks then yeehaw! If not….. well she’s scrap iron anyway nothing gained nothing lost. DO however have a heavy chunk of plywood ready to stick over the air intake pipe in the event it does start and experiences a uncontrolled fit of excitement!( ie: a runaway)

  37. #37Tones2024-09-07 03:29

    Big fast steps away usually called RUN

  38. #38Mike_272024-09-07 04:33

    Post some pictures.

  39. #39Vetech632024-09-07 08:01
  40. #40Vetech632024-09-07 08:02
  41. #41AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 14:25

    How long does oil last for? Does it degrade overtime and lose it's lubrication quality? If all goes well, I might as well change out the oil as well. I don't know if it has an oil filter. I don't even know if it has an air filter. I'll be running the engine for a short period of time so it should be fine without an oil filter or an air filter. I can always buy them obviously. Yeah, I'll have plywood in hand or a C02 extinguisher in case it runs away. That's what I'm most worried about. Cheers for the help

  42. #42AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 14:31

    I'm having a wonderful time. I'm really interested in this subject and I'm dying to get this baby on the road. I'll probably throw in the towel if the wheels are in crap condition or if the engine doesn't turn. If the engine doesn't turn, then I'd have to figure something out. I've never worked on engines before and never had the opportunity. Well, here's my chance now.

  43. #43AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 14:35

    Yeahhh, my dad knows nothing about diesels neither does the owner. Hopefully he has a long bar, lol. Quick question about turning it. Is it actually safe to turn after it's been sitting there for many years? What happens to the oil on the crankshaft overtime? Does it lose its lubrication quality? Will there always be bits of oil left? I don't want to force turn it and it having no oil on it and potentially create some sort of friction and damage the parts. I know its a dumb question but I'm really interested. Cheers.

  44. #44AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 14:36

    Yeah, I'm surrounded by forests. My dad has tons of plywood laying around, lol. I'll take it with me. Cheers.

  45. #45AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 14:39

    I'll post some pictures when I get there. The owner sent me one crappy image of the rear end of the loader and it hardly shows anything. It's probably junk but I have high hopes I can get it running.

  46. #4692U 34062024-09-07 14:45

    If the oil feels slick and is still a liquid (ie not jelly) I wouldn't worry too much if you just plan on starting it and putting it on a trailer or moving it 50 feet to an easier area to work on. No guarantees the oil pressure gauge is going to be accurate on something that age and condition either so keep that in mind. If there isn't an oil filter I'm sure you'll find out soon enough if its a spin-on type filter. It'll puke it all out on the ground as soon as it starts cranking.

  47. #47AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 14:55

    Cheers, I will keep this in mind.

  48. #48Welder Dave2024-09-07 15:02

    I think you're getting ahead of yourself. You're not going to hurt anything trying to turn the engine over by hand. It really sounds like you need some help from someone more experienced. Oil doesn't go bad, it gets contaminated. If it has oil is all you need to worry about when trying to start it. Turning it by hand it could be bone dry. Oil is likely black like coal which is OK. If it's milky colored has water which isn't good. You could take the drain plug out for a second to see if water is sitting in the bottom off the pan. Be ready to put the drain plug back in almost instantly. See if there's coolant in the rad. and what it looks like. If it has oil in it should be obvious. If you can't see anything in the rad. is no big deal as far as trying to turn the engine over. Isn't even a huge deal when trying to see if it will run. If it actually started, then you could add coolant.

  49. #49AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 15:04

    Alright, what if the engine seizes up? What do I do? I can't undo the head bolts and take off the cylinder head because it's too heavy. Do I remove the glow plugs and spray something inside? What to spray? I have a feeling the engine probably seized up from years of sitting.

  50. #50AmishSlimJim2024-09-07 15:08

    Noted. Cheers for the help. I'll have my dad with me but he's no diesel mechanic.

  51. #51Tones2024-09-07 19:59

    If the engine seizes then the machine is yours no matter what. Bear in mind you could rent machines for the work you have and still be financially and mentally better off than fixing a dunger. You need to look at this by keeping reality front and centre and put your emotions at the back door. Heck, people who have the knowledge and experience to fix **** probably walked past this machine for a very good reason.

  52. #52terex herder2024-09-07 21:54

    In my book chances of it running are about the same as the lottery. We really need pictures. Ran when parked.

  53. #53JEVANS2024-09-07 22:39

    Ok. Heres the low down. What I would do. Walk up to it. Check the engine oil dipstick to see if it has oil in it. It likely will. Good. Next hook up some good batteries. Two healthy decent size batteries for a pick up truck should be ok. You need to know if its 12 or 24 volt. I would guess 24 volt but no guessing. Once you have that done on to the next step. Pull off a section of air piping where you can get your piece of plywood to cover the air intake if it starts and takes off. Also gives you a chance to make sure theres nothing in the piping like birds nests or a mouse house. If all is good to this point hit the start button. If it goes KA CHUNK AND nothing happens thats bad. Could mean its seized up. If it does nothing you may have a bad connection, dead batteries, or something isn’t hooked up properly. At this point you could jump the starter posts to see whats up. If and when you get to this point you should have pictures that show clearly the posts and terminals of the starter motor and someone should be able to give directions as to what terminals to jump. Or it might crank and most likely won’t start immediately. Let it crank for 5 seconds. Stop. Thats a start, it means its free to turn. At this point I would giver a good sniff of cosby Sauce ( ether/starting fluid) and hit her again. It may kick and sputter and hopefully smoke rolling out the stack. Don’t crank it for more than 30 seconds. You will kill your batteries and cook the starter. Let it chill for a bit. Give it another good hit of nostril sauce and go again. If things are ok this should produce some sort of result. It should be producing decent amount of smoke and kicking and firing. If its not there might be other problems, Ie: it has no diesel fuel. But get yourself to this point and then we might be onto a real adventure! Good luck Sonny! And remember have fun

  54. #54Welder Dave2024-09-07 23:39

    I wouldn't be using much ether. First see if it smokes. That tells you it's getting fuel. Trying to start on just ether could damage an otherwise good engine. If you get black smoke is a good sign. Then you could try a tiny shot of ether. Still not a bad idea to see if the engine turns by hand. Trying the starter might not work. There could be a problem with the starter.

  55. #55skyking12024-09-08 01:41

    It's this thread, all over again. It is his Everest. The Great Koehring Saga It is there and he must climb it.

  56. #56JaredV2024-09-08 01:55

    I think some of these guys are being a little dramatic. I bought a truck with a 220 Cummins that sat for at least 18 years according to the owner. We barred it over, hooked up some batteries, and cranked. It started putting out white smoke immediately. The battery situation wasn't great so we gave it a sniff of starting fluid and it fired right up and built air. I drove it onto a trailer and it followed me home. You're willing to ask questions and admit when you don't know something so I think you've got a chance if you do what JEVANS says.

  57. #57Welder Dave2024-09-08 02:04

    Not quite as bad as the huge Koehring excavator. Just need to take it step by step. If the engine turns over is the first step. If the engine is in fact seized a second step probably isn't needed.

  58. #58skyking12024-09-08 10:02

    the point sailed over your head. The machine is free and irresistible to young dreamers, who don't have a clue what they would do with it if everything went perfectly. In the case of this loader it does not even have a bucket, it has log grapple. So it is great if you are a logger and everything else not so much. It is an epic albatross.

  59. #59OzDozer2024-09-08 10:31

    I still reckon this guy is yanking all your chains! Let's see the photos!

  60. #60AmishSlimJim2024-09-08 15:39

    That's a bummer if it seizes. I'm green as the grass outside and thirsty for any experience I can get. I'll see what I can do but I'll probably throw in the towel if the engine doesn't turn. thank you for your time

  61. #61AmishSlimJim2024-09-08 15:47

    yeah, its 24 volts. if i turn the key/hit start button and I hear a ka chunk or a click... I'll probably check the solenoid ontop of the starter. thank you for writing this. it really helps and I'll probably follow this step by step. i really appreciate it

  62. #62AmishSlimJim2024-09-08 15:48

    what about white smoke? does that mean I have a coolant leak/ oil leak? thank you for your time.

  63. #63AmishSlimJim2024-09-08 15:51

    Yeah, i have high hopes that the girl will start with no issue. I've seen plenty of guys on youtube resurrect old tractors from the dead with no problem; machines look like absolute rust buckets.I think the front loader was just left there because the owner died and there was nobody to take it. It came with the property. Thank you for your time.

  64. #64AmishSlimJim2024-09-08 15:53

    I could turn it into a snowplough. eh, some people have pretty fords in their garage as a passion project and then there's me... I'm having fun at least. Thank you for your time.

  65. #6592U 34062024-09-08 17:17

    White smoke is either raw fuel or coolant. Your nose will be able to tell the difference. White smoke on startup wouldn't concern me much if it cleans up after a couple minutes.

  66. #66IceHole2024-09-08 17:56

    My fire pit is an actual dumpster.

  67. #67AmishSlimJim2024-09-08 18:05

    thank you

  68. #68Truck Shop2024-09-08 18:12

    Glad all you guys have this sorted out and keeping him on the right track. Allot of wonderful gracious positive advise in two days.

  69. #69Welder Dave2024-09-08 21:29

    Funny, if this was an old D6 everyone would want to see it brought back to life. It's too early to compare it to the Koehring 1266. The OP of that thread had his whole future based on getting the 100 ton+ machine running. The OP of this thread first of all has permission to look at/tinker with a 30 ton loader. He's also getting his dad involved. The only thing they're looking at doing so far is seeing if the engine turns over. That shouldn't be very time consuming or costly to establish. There may or may not be a lot wrong with the loader. If it doesn't turn over could be the end of it. I think a lot of people would be thrilled at the possibilty of getting a machine free. Doing a few simple checks to see what might be wrong doesn't automatically turn it into popcorn fest. It could need a lot less work than 977 that most wouldn't have bothered with. Seems to be if it's for views on you tube it's OK to throw money and time away on equipment needing extensive repair but if it's just somebody looking to see what might be wrong with a piece of sitting equipment and asking a couple questions, they should immediately abandon any thoughts of even looking at it. Every once in awhile you hear stories of parked machines brought back to life needing only minor work. Just needed someone to know what to look for. We haven't seen this loader yet and nobody knows why it was parked. It's a little premature in my opinion to automatically condemn it. The 100 ton+ 1266 is much easier to condemn. Just to move it would cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

  70. #70Truck Shop2024-09-08 21:42

    True-------allot of griping about the younger generation at times,-----well he could be out selling drugs, I would much rather see him try even if it's a worthless endeavor, it's better to have tried and found out it isn't worth it than being a tweaker.

  71. #71thepumpguysc2024-09-08 21:47

    71 posts and he hasn’t turned the first wrench..

  72. #72Truck Shop2024-09-08 21:49

    That's ok----.

  73. #73Welder Dave2024-09-08 22:09

    OP might be smart to not respond until he has more info. Why respond if he's just going to get raked over the coals?

  74. #7492U 34062024-09-08 22:22

    If it puts a smile on OP's face then that is all that matters.

  75. #75clueless22024-09-08 22:52

    I was thinking the same thing especially when he said his Dad was going to help. Ignore the naysayers AmishSlimJim. I would like to see a photo of you sitting on it and taking it for a ride !!

  76. #7692U 34062024-09-08 23:00

    I do stuff people think is stupid all the time. You're only here once so enjoy it.

  77. #77Welder Dave2024-09-08 23:13

    I don't know why it's automatically assumed it's going to be an epic thread. All OP asked is what to check on a machine that's been sitting and his dad is involved.

  78. #78AmishSlimJim2024-09-09 04:57

    Hello, I'll probably travel to the property next week or the week after. Yeah, I'm glad my dad is going to help. I can only hope it all goes well, haha. Great learning experience

  79. #79AmishSlimJim2024-09-09 05:02

    I haven't even seen the engine nor the condition of the wheels. It could be an absolute dump for all I know. I'm really thankful for all the help.

  80. #80Vetech632024-09-09 07:47

    From a business standpoint it's ridiculous. I have to be reminded that it's not ALL about the business. Thank you old farts for reminding me.

  81. #81TCat2024-09-09 09:46

    I don't know how I missed this thread before now, but two things come to mind after reading through. Amish I'm just curious, how old are you? It doesn't make a difference, but it's a frame of reference for those trying to help you. Secondly you mentioned snow, so I bet you're no where close to me, but if you were I'd invite you over to help me work on my equipment as it could always use a helping hand. I remember when I was young (starting at 4 years old with my grandpa) how I just loved to work on anything mechanical and how amazing it was to take things apart and try to put them back together. I bet that's how a lot of the guys on this board were when they were kids, but they are pros now or have aches, pains and physical limitations now (like me) so it's not as fun or magical as it was when they were a lot younger.

  82. #82AmishSlimJim2024-09-09 10:19

    I'm 21 years old, grew up in a city and now living in a rural area. Never worked on engines. I've driven cars and forklifts before. You're lucky you got the opportunity to work on mechanical equipment at such a young age. I believe if you want something really badly then you should go out there and get it. Hence why I'm so eager to get my hands on any piece of machinery I can tinker with. It doesn't even need to work. I can just take stuff apart and learn what each part does. Starting up this wheel loader would be pretty sweet. However, I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't turn. Owner said the exhaust "might" be covered up. It's a rust bucket to some and a learning experience to others. My dad knows a guy around my local area that uses heavy machinery for foresting purposes. I'll talk to him and hopefully get some more experience under my belt. Thank you for your time.

  83. #83Truck Shop2024-09-09 12:12

    AmishSlimJim------We all started out scrapping around one way or another, some learned faster than others. You do you. * Me at 15 with what I thought was a treasure at the time. Allot of money and I wore out a pair of boots trying to start it, I won in the end----at least so I thought. * As the saying goes--{I spent allot of money on motorcycles--The rest I just Wasted}. *

  84. #84AmishSlimJim2024-09-09 13:00

    That's a sweet motorcycle you got there. I appreciate the kind words. You also look so cool.

  85. #85Welder Dave2024-09-09 13:49

    What bike is that? Looks British or maybe a Ducati. Back in 1975 saw a guy on a Ducati dirt bike. It was odd because it was a 4 stroke. Most other dirt bikes were 2 strokes at the time. Now 4 strokes are the most common again.

  86. #86Truck Shop2024-09-09 15:09

    1965 {A65} BSA 650 Hornet. Not many 15 year old's had a 650 back then. The {Prince Of Darkness} taught me allot about ignition or the lack of it.

  87. #87Welder Dave2024-09-09 15:21

    Should have thought BSA. I know a guy who had 2 BSA dirt bikes worth a small fortune. One used to belong to Dick Mann. It had titanium hardware and was worth north of $45,000! He didn't ride that one much. The other one was worth about $35,000. They have a very cool sound and you could also feel the torque they put out.

  88. #88TCat2024-09-09 18:50

    I grew up in a large city as well, and now I am blessed (as I see it anyways) to live in the country. Unfortunately my grandad who was the one who really fed and fostered my mechanical interests when I was very young died when I was five years old or so. My sperm donor could have cared less about my interests, so it took a little while from the age of 5 until I was about 13 or so until I could start to work on lawn mowers for my lawn mowing business that I had as a kid in the city. People would throw their lawn mowers away in the spring (usually with bad gas or a broken flywheel key) and I would grab them from the trash to repair and replace my "fleet". lol