Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some old Cats and Liebherrs

aongheas.macask ยท 2009-01-07 11:59

Photos of some older equipment (mid eighties)I used to work on as HE mechanic in Falkland Islands, hope you like

Replies5
  1. #1firetrack2009-01-07 15:12

    interesting photos Hi, What were they used for down there? airport and road construction maybe. How do the Liebhers rate against the Cat machines. Does anyone have any info on Fiatallis FD14D. I have a new contractor in my area with an older FD14D who is claiming it is equivalent to D7G except that it only uses half the fuel of the Cat. I would have thought the FD16 would have been closer to the D7G that the 14D. It certainly doesn't look anywhere as big as the D7. have a nice day. Firetrack

  2. #2JimInOz2009-01-07 16:23

    Fiats Hi AM,. Thanks for the pictures.I think the Liebherr is a 741...I used to operate one & it was OK,but the speed selector was a pain. Firetrack, I operated an FL14E Crawler Loader which was very powerful & smooth, & pushed thru heaped dirt very well.The "C" pattern powershift lever was hard to get used to,after being on Cat/Komatsu. IN 1988,a FD20 was 230HP & weighed about 26 Tonne. I recently saw a lot of Fiat Crawler brochures on eBay. Almost everything uses less fuel than a Cat.

  3. #3aongheas.macask2009-01-07 18:22

    Hi Firetrack, The Cats were on an airport project and the Liebherr 741 was in Scotland on Forestry work, mainly haul road construction, it replaced a D7 but the operators hated it I think mainly as it was hydrostatic with no pedals or clutch levers and no decel pedal

  4. #4aongheas.macask2009-01-07 18:30

    JimInOz, Yep its a Pr741,was on Forestry work and replaced a D7 but not a great tractor, shouldnt say that as I worked for Liebherr for 22years but you gotta be truthfull. The new Liebherr dozers are different class but its hard to get past Cat when you try and sell them.

  5. #5f5tr2009-02-17 12:23

    liebherr dozer Anybody operated the new Liebherr dozers? I heard they are in a class of there own! Also the wheel loaders as well