Was working at a sister quarry on a starting problem of a D6D Dozer yesterday. While there one of the operators mentioned that the older 988B Cat loader there used off and on had a small problem. This machine would not shut down when key was turned off. I asked what the did to stop it. Was told that they just stall it by bottoming out the hydraulics. Did not seem like a good idea to me at first then after thinking about it over night when I went back this morning I asked the operator what he was going to do if he has a hydraulic hose fail on the machine I did suggest he check to see if the machine could be stopped by the old method of just pulling the foot peddle back, I know if everything is working right on these old 988B's this will work. I also showed him where the shaft comes out of the governor that also can be used to manually "kill" the engine. I was not able to check these things out while there as they were in the middle of changing oils and filters so engine could not be started. What gets me is this is at a major world wide company that is always talking the talk about "Safety First". I could understand if this was a down on his luck farmer or logger but I can never understand why a company like this thinks doing things like this is OK.:Banghead
Should be able to check the throttle control even with it shut down, as there is a very noticeable snap when they pop over into shutdown. The 980C's I worked on had this feature so I am pretty sure a 988B would as well, but I couldn't swear to it.
For me it's tiring all this BS safety, I've had my fill of driving rig, it's all a joke. I've driven for the big fleets and for o/o there is no care about maintenance but their safety looks good on paper. I worked for one company with fifty+ trucks, I drove a different one every day, the problems were endless (bald/flat tires, air leaks, brakes, their bottom dump trailers had to have their gates pinned closed because they could pop open while driving) it was a steering wheel holder company with few who cared. "Be Safe"
I thought this was how the engine was stopped, all the old 988's and 966C's I ran, we used to shut down the engine this way. Never remember any of them shutting down with the key. Were they ever supposed to?
The 988A's and 966C's could only be shut off with the throttle. Never ran a 988B, so couldn't comment on that.
Because h&s is where it suits, and if it doesn't fit the budget, it is ok. My hat goes off to you for noticing it, investigating and reporting. Most wouldn't.
I believe most 988B used button next to start switch to shut down.
Be nice if it was that simple. Here's the description of operation from Cat SIS. Engine Stop (Shutdown) Circuit The engine shutdown circuit uses a 9G9287 Engine Shutdown Control. This is an electronic control that is sealed and cannot have repairs made on it. The shutdown control has two uses. It is used to stop the engine when the key start switch is put in the OFF position. It is also used to stop the engine when the attachment fire suppression system is activated. The shutdown control has a harness with a 7 contact connector. The following gives the purpose of each connection. Pin 1 - +24 volts to the controlSocket 2 - Ground for the controlSocket 3 - Output from the control to the shutdown solenoidSocket 4 - No connectionPin 5 - Input to the control from the START position of the key start switchPin 6 - Input to the control from the OFF position of the key start switchPin 7 - Input to the control from the fire suppression agent pressure switch or the engine shutdown test switch When the vehicle is in operation (or any time the disconnect switch is in the ON position), there is +24 volts at pin 1 of the control connector. If the main key switch is put in the OFF position: A. There is +24 volts at pin 6 of the control connector. B. The control is activated. C. Current is sent to activate the shutdown solenoid for 30 seconds. D. After 30 seconds, the control is not activated and the shutdown solenoid is not activated. If the control is activated, but before 30 seconds are gone, the main key switch is put in the START position: A. There is 24 volts at pin 5 of the control connector. B. The control is deactivated (not activated). C. The shutdown solenoid is deactivated. When the main key switch is put in the OFF position, the shutdown control and solenoid are activated. If the main key switch is put in the START position before 30 seconds are gone, the control and the solenoid are not activated. Just checked and was almost surprised by the price of that "Non-Repairable" 9G9287 controller. Dealer actually has one on the shelf and only wants $155.00 for one. Our machine does NOT have the fire suppression system so that might be the kill button Overworked was referring to above.
Thanks for the schooling, my memorys not that clear, I usually start with serial number then fire up sis. I was just throwing that out, most of the ones we see in bluestone quarries are early in the number list, key on, one button to start and one to stop. Around 50w 2050-9000 range. Try to get correct number before we head out, internet scratchy around these hills.:drinkup