Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some photos from an apprentice

HDMRice ยท 2011-11-23 20:33

Howdy! Name's Mike, and I'm an apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician currently on my 8 month co-op from Centennial College. My co-op term is nearly over and I thought I would share some of the things I have been doing, via picture! I warn you, I am a messy worker...but I'm trying to change. First things first. Had a D6H with a major oil leak and it was also putting out blue smoke. After a good wash and some investigating I found that oil was coming out of the dipstick, indicating excessive crankcase pressure. I only have some pictures of the rebuilt engine being put in. Here is a 140h Grader that needed its oscillation joint, lip seals replaced. My super high tech, fancy pants installation tools.

Replies31
  1. #1Ross2011-11-23 20:38

    Nice one mate .. Worth your weight in Gold if you serve your time and are decent at what you do. That tandem job is the same on the 16M and 24 graders .. Just watch when pulling the chains out as I've see the tandem case split if the chains catch.

  2. #2HDMRice2011-11-23 20:46

    Note to Self: Next time make sure chain hook isn't very close to pinching air line.

  3. #3HDMRice2011-11-23 20:53

    Last of the pictures for now..I've been planning to do this for a bit. Here is a 963C I am currently working on. Oil is spilling out of the torque divider breather and the dipstick is reading a very high level of oil. Not sure yet if it was just overfilled or if its coming from somewhere else. Any suggestions would be great! I haven't gotten too far into it yet, as there are other machines higher on the priority list. These pictures show me taking off the belly pains..I mean pans..in order to clean up the sand/dirt/mud/crud so that I can give it a bit of a wash That fresh looking oil on top of the left drive motor is from the torque divider breather

  4. #4HDMRice2011-11-23 20:56

    Thank you, I'm loving the job so far! I find I strive to do the best job I can when I'm enjoying it. I'll certainly be careful with the chains in the future. I removed them nice and easy, by hand that time around. Well...it wasn't the easiest thing, but I learn quick.

  5. #5tracksfan2011-11-24 10:52

    great pics, the D6H is a nice machine to work on imho. keep on posting. I'm interested in what is the fix is on the 963C

  6. #6Nige2011-11-24 11:54

    963C the operator should have been made to clean that crap out. After all he put it there ............

  7. #7Per Eriksson2011-11-24 15:00

    Most likely a shaft seal on one of the pumps?

  8. #8cps2011-11-24 17:18

    Great pictures, and great work! good to see younger guys (i say younger cos im not that old:tong) getting into the game! Id say the excess oil could be a pump seal leaking into the torque housing Aiden

  9. #9cps2011-11-24 17:20

    Whoops Per beat me to it!

  10. #10HDMRice2011-11-24 20:22

    I had a thought similar to that, but he probably would have taken too long. It was just the area they were in; it had just been cleaned a couple months ago. I won't get to the 963c until next week, but a shaft seal by-passing oil into the torque divider housing was one of the mostly likely scenarios I thought of. I'm going to first drain some oil out of the torque divider, run it a bit, and mark where the dipstick is reading. Then put it under a load to see if it is dumping some oil...if it is I guess I'll check case drain on the pumps to figure out which one it is. With that said, a few pictures from today are to follow..I just have to go get my camera. PS: I'm not the youngest kid on the block myself. I'm turning 30 this year..but with that said I've still got lots of time to devote to the industry.

  11. #11HDMRice2011-11-24 20:49

    Today I finished some work on the front axle of a 420D. It was leaking from the hub seal on one side and from the axle seals on the other...so I replaced them all! The king pin's were extremely hard to get out. Had to take a wide and tapered chisel to all of them. I ended up turning in the top of the threads on this one..

  12. #12Tinkerer2011-11-25 17:58

    Whenever I see pictures with jack stands sitting on shop floors without a bearing plate under them I cannot help but wonder, how thick that concrete is. I may be overly cautious but it always looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

  13. #13HDMRice2011-11-25 20:07

    I'm not too sure. It's standard practice in our shop. They tend to be safety oriented so I'm sure they thought of what it would be used for.

  14. #14Water Doc2011-11-27 10:23

    Ahh I see your co-op is at Clearway. They are long time customers of mine. Good people to work with. Just stay on Marco's good side and you'll do fine. I went to Centennial when I did my Truck and Coach apprenticeship. Where's the heavy equip program? Ashtonbee?

  15. #15HDMRice2011-11-27 10:31

    Yes sir, they have the program at the Ashtonbee campus. Seems to be a great facility...has everything we need to learn and a lot of teaching props.

  16. #16HDMRice2011-12-03 00:33

    It's been a busy few days, but I have a few more picture to post. First up is a 650H that I finished up. Right travel motor was leaking because of worn internals. Sent it out to get it rebuilt and here are some pictures of the installation. The 650H also needed new sprockets! Of course I got really busy and had no more time for picture after this point. Next up is a 140h grader that had a lack of power complaint in the field. One of the air tanks wasn't holding its air and the cab alarm kept going off. Turns out it was just a leaking drain valve. Thats a pretty boring repair, so I just took a couple pic's of the grader in action! Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Here is a 330c I am just starting work on. It needs a few repairs. The two big ones are a leaking main crankshaft seal and a problem with the high speed travel. When the excavator is travelling and you switch to rabbit, the right track will lag behind for a few seconds. I switched out the right motor's high speed travel spool and spring at a co-workers suggestion, and the problem has persisted except now its the other track that is delayed! Perhaps changing the left spool and spring will bring them into alignment.

  17. #17RayF2011-12-03 05:38
  18. #18equip guy2011-12-10 19:59

    AHHH yes repairs outside when it's snowing, can't wait! NOT!

  19. #19robin yates uk2011-12-10 21:49

    it is great to see a newcomer to the wonderful world of Plant who seems so full of enthusiasm.That and a smile makes for an excellent plant fitter (as we call them in the UK )

  20. #20HDMRice2011-12-12 19:45

    I loved it myself! My family and I lived in British Columbia, in the lower mainland, for the last few years and we didn't get much snow. I missed it.

  21. #21HDMRice2011-12-12 19:47

    Thank you! I certainly enjoy my the everyday grind much more then I use too.

  22. #22HDMRice2011-12-12 20:06

    Here are a few pictures of the front crankshaft seal I had to change out. It turns out the rad was also leaking and had broken free of it's frame. All of the spot welds holding the core in place had busted free. The machine was being used a bit north of us, putting in some roads. The hammer can certainly do some damage. I used a slide hammer to remove the seal. Worked great!

  23. #23HDMRice2011-12-17 14:24

    We had a 416c come back to us with stalling issues. Here's what I found in the fuel tank. Thats a chunk of wood with some sand and small rocks Some tape and a mystery o-ring. I forgot to take a picture of it, but when I first opened the fuel tank drain no fuel came out. This was because of a build up of sand and rocks. Most of it came out with the diesel.

  24. #24DK882013-02-28 19:56

    Are you still with Clearway?

  25. #25Diagonal Brace2013-02-28 21:24

    Isnt that stick part of the fuel level group?

  26. #26HDMRice2013-03-01 18:12

    I had completely forgotten about this post! I should update it. I am still with Clearway, although now my schooling is complete. I've been full time with them since August, and its been an exciting year. We're very busy!

  27. #27HDMRice2013-03-01 18:15

    I'm not certain if it is or not. I've never had the fuel level assembly out of a backhoe before. It was a piece of wood though, that I'm sure of.

  28. #28HDMRice2013-03-01 18:56

    Might as well post a few more pictures. First picture here is of a tented 365C. I decided that during Hurricane Sandy, it was the perfect time to change out the swing pump. I changed it out because the machine had a habit of not swinging in the morning, and it had to be broken free, as if it was binding or frozen(made a hell of a grinding noise). I chased this down to an internal issue in the pump. The next two pictures are again during Hurricane Sandy...It was just a rainstorm here...and they are of the 385B. Several of the exhaust manifold bolts had broken! It was an extremely tedious activity, but we got them all out. I did make the mistake of using the wrong bolts to hold the turbo onto the manifold, which eventually worked its way loose and started dumping some exhaust where it shouldn't have. Live and learn, I suppose. Next we have a CP-563C. I've really taken a shine to compactors in general, and I think they are second to excavators for me, when it comes to what machines I prefer to work on. Anywho, I received a complaint of no drive, and no vibe. After I checked the electrical system, I popped the vibration pump off and gave it a quick crank and saw that the shaft was not spinning. Low and behold, a majority of the teeth on the pump drive had been stripped right off! On a side note, I responded to this compactor recently because its drum was only moving in the forward direction. The feedback lever of the drums propel pump had come loose from the servo valves pivot pin. That took me a bit to figure out! I love these machines! Have a good day!

  29. #29Diagonal Brace2013-03-01 21:52

    I was thinking more of the external type. You know "Has that machine beeen fueled up?" "I dont know the guage doesnt work" " Well check it with a stick or something" Hahaha

  30. #30HDMRice2017-03-31 09:23

    Well, Four years later and I'm working for a dealership now in Northern Alberta. I've made it through the "oil slump" (so far) and seem to be going strong. The work is constant, dynamic, and can certainly be difficult. The different aspects between working for a contractor, and for a dealership has its troubles for me, but the training, benefits and money is good! I've got lots of pictures of different jobs, so I think I'll post some tonight after work. I'm mid - long block currently, so I should get back to it.

  31. #3192U 34062017-04-06 09:02

    Cool thread! Wherabouts in Northern Alberta? I've been wrenching up in the Sands for 8 years so far.