Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some Pics From Gerhart’s Yard in PA

dieseldave · 2010-03-01 21:59

A few pics from Gerhart's place

Replies93
  1. #1dieseldave2010-03-01 22:05

    a few more

  2. #2truklodyte2010-03-02 18:26

    I think I would like to stroll thru there for a project!

  3. #3Dominion 4102010-03-02 20:09

    Gerharts yard Would'nt mind a stroll through there either.How far from Philly is that place? Dominion:canada

  4. #4dieseldave2010-03-02 20:56

    It's in Lititz, not too far from Philly. I have hundreds of pics, I'll keep posting as long as folks want to see them. Here are a few from the show they had there in October.

  5. #5Homerun2010-03-02 21:19

    That's some nice equipment up there Bro, I wish I can vist them, but that's way to far from here. LOL

  6. #6TSK4152010-03-02 22:19

    Spent a day there Keep posting I might have missed something

  7. #7tonka2010-03-02 22:37

    same truck as in the last pic...

  8. #8archibald2010-03-03 04:37

    caterpillar 769s were the loved buy operators, who always raved about the [hurl] the driving sensation. i was an on job mechanic who maintained them they were very little trouble

  9. #9truklodyte2010-03-03 05:29

    Please show more. I saw an old auto car with a mixer on it .

  10. #10slagpot2010-03-03 06:26

    What a wonderful stroll through time. Great pictures,please keep them coming !!! Slagpot

  11. #11ibc2010-03-03 20:12

    Awesome, I always wanted to stop at their place on the way down 81, but I was travelin with the family......all girls. These guys are the Northwest specialist and they know a thing or two on Bucyrus too. The old man had an article or something written about his trucks in last months issue of Historical truck or something like that..... the one with a sweet red crackerbox on the cover. Anyway keep the pictures coming...nice camera.

  12. #12dieseldave2010-03-03 21:57

    more pics

  13. #13dieseldave2010-03-03 22:11

    trukloyte, this one? and a couple more A-car's for good measure

  14. #14truklodyte2010-03-04 05:17

    Say there is an old Michigan crane ,much like the one I posted about earlier.But it appears to be truck mounted.Is there a chance of any other pictures of it? Can you give me a better location so I can earth google it ?

  15. #15jimmyjack2010-03-04 15:26

    please keep'em coming , love the pics

  16. #16tonka2010-03-04 15:37

    910 Brunnerville Road, Lititz, PA‎ http://www.gerhartmachinery.com/

  17. #17tonka2010-03-04 15:41

    thats a Mack not an Autocar

  18. #18TSK4152010-03-04 20:36

    The mack show is in october? The red autocar is my favorite picture. More mack pictures please

  19. #19dieseldave2010-03-04 21:21

    here are some from the show

  20. #20dieseldave2010-03-04 21:32

    here are some that ain't so shiny yet

  21. #21dieseldave2010-03-04 21:41

    havin some fun on the dirt pile. that's my own self in the 977.

  22. #22Dominion 4102010-03-04 22:22

    Mack Any info on the Mack with the stack through the hood?Look's heavy spec., camel back suspension?Any more Northwest/Mack photo's appreciated. Dominion:canada

  23. #23dieseldave2010-03-04 23:16

    This is the only other pic I could find. No info, either-sorry. So much stuff, so little time... I do remember it had a cummins in it. Nice heavy R model for ya, though. I'll look for some Northwest pics.

  24. #24truklodyte2010-03-05 16:56

    old mack mixer I drove a mid 60's autocar mixer with all 3 aixles to drive it and it wasn't 4x4 either.It would go straight fine but turning you needed a football field to do a U turn. . An it looks like the old mack.But I bet the mack had alot more than a 120 cummings in it.With a thirteen speed tranny where you split shift the last three gears on the two speed rear ends. I would rather have driven a quad box. Stick arm thru steering wheel and grab both sticks and shift at the same time.

  25. #25Dominion 4102010-03-05 22:35

    R Model Nice,clean looking R model.:drinkup Possibly 24" rubber,56,000lb. rear on camel back-don't get much tougher than that. Dominion:canada

  26. #26TSK4152010-03-06 08:57

    YouTube - Mack Truck Show I think it's the same truck?

  27. #27dieseldave2010-03-06 23:13

    That's the same truck for sure:thumbsup Some more pics- engines this time. First one is my Dad checking out a D353 Cat. Next are a few of a big Buda six with an AC pony motor. Last one is a Cummins VT1710.

  28. #28Buster F2010-03-07 00:55

    The green R model Mack only has 5 spoke rears which leads me to believe that its not as heavy spec'd as it may appear. Possibly 38k rears?

  29. #29truklodyte2010-03-07 07:13

    I think you need to go back and re-check your count. All the macks have 6 dogs including rears as well.

  30. #30Buster F2010-03-07 08:44

    It's hard to tell with the angle of the pics but you could be right. For the record all the Mack 38k rears i have seen only have 5 dogs

  31. #31TSK4152010-03-07 11:25

    What is the yellow and black truck?

  32. #32CM19952010-03-07 13:25

    Looks like a Brockway.

  33. #33dieseldave2010-03-07 21:36

    √ That's what it is. I don't know the model (Husky, maybe?) but it looked to me like an R model Mack with a Brockway grill. Some Northwest pics

  34. #34RonG2010-03-08 03:54

    I always thought that the later Brockways used a Mack cab.I never asked anybody about it but they looked just the same as a Mack.Maybe somebody knows for sure. I faintly recall Mack and Brockway somehow getting together before the end,maybe Ashland oil or one of Macks parent companies owned them both at one time.Ron G

  35. #35truklodyte2010-03-08 05:29

    They did use mack cabs and chassis .Some Brockways had the Mack logo on the steering wheels.

  36. #36Dominion 4102010-03-08 20:04

    Northwest That look's like a real Northwest haven,and the Mack's are cool to. Not sure if that's a Model 41 or 6 with the shovel front.Guaranteed a shift on one of those would make a fella work up a thirst...:drinkup:drinkup Do they have a demo weekend or tour's of their yard? Dominion:canada

  37. #37jrtraderny2010-03-08 20:30

    Mack Trucks owned Brockway Motor Trucks since way back in the early to mid 60's I had a 1965 that said Brockway Motor Trucks Division of Mack Trucks on the door plate. They started using an R-Model style cab around 1975 on their conventional cab trucks. As far as I can remember all Brockway cabovers used a F-Model Mack style cab. (Not sure on that though) jr

  38. #38qball2010-03-08 20:30

    man, i am a sucker for a northwest. i hate the right hand swing but can listen to a murphy lugging all day long.

  39. #39dieseldave2010-03-08 22:12

    trucklodyte, these are the only pics I could find of that little crane. It did have a 2-71 in it.

  40. #40dieseldave2010-03-08 23:05

    more trucks

  41. #41truklodyte2010-03-09 05:35

    Michigan Dave that isn't it ,that looks like a unit.Here is posting number 13 there is a blue 660 gradall and in front of it sits a little michigan color is yellow it appears to be truck mounted or its a wheeled carrage mount.

  42. #42dieseldave2010-03-09 20:24

    truklodyte, sorry, that was the only pic I had of that little crane. Here are some trackloaders, though

  43. #43RonG2010-03-10 04:32

    My first concrete mixer was that orange Autocar tractor up there with the flathead six gas engine and 5x4 in it and a 7cy Jeager mixer on it.Four barrel carb and dual exhaust,that thing would pull!!I might mention that it was HOT in that cab in the summer. Near the end of its life we made a dump truck out of it and I taped a dime to sun visor and just hoped that I was near a phone booth when it broke.LOL.Ron G

  44. #44TSK4152010-03-10 21:21

    I think they have a show in oct.? YouTube - old earth moving equipment

  45. #45dieseldave2010-03-10 21:58

    An Army 14a D8 and a Koehring Dumptor

  46. #46dlnimsy2010-03-11 20:52

    Hey Dieseldave keep em coming. Love looking at the old stuff, just wish they could talk and tell their story.

  47. #47dieseldave2010-03-11 21:56

    I have more, I'm gonna keep posting til I run out or I get thrown off the forum, whichever comes first:drinkup

  48. #48dieseldave2010-03-14 00:09

    D9G and Curtiss-Wright pan, 977h, and an overview of the yard

  49. #49stuart olson2010-03-14 04:49

    place like that here in MN, as the man said "come and see me at the estate sale"

  50. #50truklodyte2010-03-14 07:54

    Please get more photos ,I am like a junkie I need more of a fix.

  51. #51dieseldave2010-03-14 20:09

    Don't worry, I have plenty more:thumbsup Also, I just came across an envelope full of 4x6 prints from an older Gerhart's show which include a walk through the Allentown Mack plant. I'm working on scanning those in and I'll post them once I get that done. But for now I'm going to hijack my own thread for a second to show you Bulldog fans a couple of oil paintings I've been working on.

  52. #52mitch5042010-03-14 21:08

    Great paintings! particularly the dog. more old iron pics please

  53. #53qball2010-03-14 21:10

    fan-freakin-tastic!

  54. #54TSK4152010-03-14 21:57

    Where in MN.?

  55. #55dieseldave2010-03-15 20:55

    A cable blade D7F, a Cat grader (a 14 I think), and another shot of Dave's super nice 711 powered B model.

  56. #56RonG2010-03-16 04:26

    Ahhh yes..........the old 711.They made them in gas and diesel....211 horsepower in either version.I've driven both flavors.That is one beautiful B-61......that looks like 24" rubber as well.Does it have power steering?Many did not back in those days,ooooff,I don't even want to think about it.LOL. Mack offered a turbo for that engine as an add on to help it run cooler as they tended to blow headgaskets from time to time.It did not increase the power but was supposed to last longer between the need for replacing those pesky gaskets.Thanks for sharing and getting me started .Ron G

  57. #57stuart olson2010-03-16 11:27

    the guy in minnesota is "near" the le suer pioneer power showgrounds his collection is mostly cat crawlers and scrapers DW20 DW15 letournou offerings cat D8's coming out of his ears. pull scrapers of most types cable rippers ect. mack lowboys and a good collection of antiqe farm tractors and cat spare parts (ever seen a corn crib full of final drives?) if you go to the pioneer power show and meet him he does give tours of his stuff

  58. #58truklodyte2010-03-16 21:45

    just stick your hand threw steering wheel and grab both sticks to shift. I love that ,that is better than the new push button allison automatic. The old thermodyne engines w/out turbo .

  59. #59dozerbill572010-03-17 12:24

    Insley Does any one have a main drive sproket , the chain driven sproket from the master clutch . Casting # is R50226A . Bill :usa It is a K12 or K15 Insley

  60. #60Dirtmaster2010-03-17 14:14

    Old lowboy trailer pictures, maybe? Love this thread! I'm looking for pictures of old removable gooseneck lowboy trailers (RGN), as I'm trying to rebuild one to use. Were there any at that yard? In particular, I'm looking for pictures that show the detaching mechanism and how the lock worked. Keep those pictures coming! Dirtmaster

  61. #61dieseldave2010-03-17 22:04

    Like this? This is my old 35 ton Hyster, I can take any shots of it you want if it'll help.

  62. #62dieseldave2010-03-17 23:21

    Ron, here are some more of that B model. It's a NA 711, no power steering I'm pretty sure. Just think, Mack was producing the 711 at the same time they were making twin turbo 864's lol. Must've been fun to have been a Mack mechanic during that timespan

  63. #63Dirtmaster2010-03-18 00:29

    Removable gooseneck lowboys Yeah, like that one only a little different. Some RGN trailers have a narrow gooseneck and some have a full width gooseneck. Mine is a full width setup. The locking mechanism is a little different on the full width ones. I posted a few pictures over on the trailers sub-forum on this site that shows them. Thread title is "Looking for really old RGN pictures" or similar. Enjoy seeing the old rigs. Thanks for posting them. Dirtmaster

  64. #64RonG2010-03-18 03:30

    I never had a chance to drive that V8 but the 673ci was the only other engine that they had in mass production at that time.That was the engine that seemed to predominate in their lineup.It developed two or three different horespowers that I know of,225 and I think a 235 and ended up as a 250 in the last revision.Then came the 675 Maxidyne at 237 HP to start with.My company had a couple of B-61s like yours,one of them had the turbo 673 in it as a dump truck.That thing was a hotrod,it would haul a full load,I mean all that you could fit on in the body and just fly with it,nothing could touch it.These were the days before the DOT squads and tarps,we just had to be careful in the corners to avoid spillage.Ron G

  65. #65dieseldave2010-03-18 23:23

    I had a a 187hp NA 673 in my first truck, a '59 B61 single axle tractor with a triplex. It ran better than I thought it would for being 187 horse, but it was no rocket lol. I have a '77 U model single axle dump with a 237 and a five speed that I used for years to haul my stuff around. A good, tough truck. Here are some pics from the Mack plant in Allentown. Years ago you could take a bus from Gerhart's show over to the plant and wander around.

  66. #66Koehringman2010-03-22 12:33

    What is this place??? A boneyard or someone that restores equipment? Any Koehrings? Looking for tracks for a 305 or 405. I love those old Northwests too. The group I'm with has an 80D, The operator would be in Heaven here. Keep that Kodak crank'in!!

  67. #67dieseldave2010-03-24 21:54

    Kinda both, I guess. They fix stuff up for sale and sell parts as well. I don't remember any Koehrings, but that doesn't mean there aren't any there- my photographic memory ran out of film years ago There are some 80D's and 180's there, but all are in pieces.

  68. #68ts-24 frank2010-03-27 14:44

    old iron these are great shots of the old iron, where are they in lidtz,pa man i would love to walk through. thanks for sharing. ts24 frank

  69. #69Buckethead2010-03-27 15:59

    http://www.gerhartmachinery.com/contact.asp :drinkup

  70. #70ts-24 frank2010-03-27 19:34

    old pixs dieseldave; these are great shots especially of the side/bottom dump, and all youre pix of the d9,are they all taken in the egg harber area or lidits. thanks ts24 frank

  71. #71ts-24 frank2010-03-27 20:11

    info buckethead; thanks for the location. ts24 frank

  72. #72Buckethead2010-03-27 20:57

    You're welcome. Usually in May they have some kind of equipment or truck show there, call or email them to find out when it is this year.

  73. #73dieseldave2010-03-27 21:01

    ts24frank, any pics in this thread so far -with the exception of the paintings and the lowboy hauling the grader- were from Gerhart's. Here are a few pics of my D9, which you may recognize from other threads or youtube. It's in Mays Landing right now.

  74. #74dieseldave2010-03-27 21:25

    Here are some more of the side dumps. I'm not sure what they are- DW20's would be my guess- but the two sitting next to each other have D326's for power while the other one sitting off by itself has a D337T.

  75. #75ts-24 frank2010-03-27 23:20

    pictures dieseldsve; will gerharts actually let you walk arround the yard and take shots maby even clime in one.if youre d9 is in mays landing how would you feel about me taking pixs of youre d9 and you, it just exciting to see one of those in operation. it has been about 30 yrs since i was in the seat of a d8 in the army engeneers. i am not far from the area at all, see what you think, not trying to pressure you, just love this equipment. thanks ts24 frank havent seen the low boy yet but great shots.

  76. #76dieseldave2010-03-27 23:42

    Gerhart's is a pretty friendly place, they'd likely let you walk around. If you go to one of the shows it's a definite, you can wander in and around anywhere. I'll get in touch with you about meeting out where the D9 is, shouldn't be a problem. It's at a place on Somers Point-Mays Landing Rd, a place called Young's Ironstone Rigging. He also has a woodstove store called the Firebox there.

  77. #77ts-24 frank2010-03-28 00:30

    gerharts dieseldave; how often are the shows at gerharts, and thank you for the oppertunity to photograph youre d9. any chance you know of any scrapers working arround the area, i will wait to hear, thanks. ts24 frank

  78. #78ts-24 frank2010-03-28 12:08

    b model pixs dieseldave; these shots of the lowboy and the b model are great, is that the back end of a scraper maby a pull scraper i see in the one pix. boy does that b model take me back, that is what i learned to drive on after i got out of army, 2 stick quadraplex i beleave 15 speed, and the d7 or 8's in the army had the throttle in the cenyer with the tranie 3 speed forward and reverse arround the throttle stick like a house shoe, and the directional steering levers for the tracks higher comming out of the left side dash with the directional foot pedals right under and the decellerator peddel off to right, bulldozer handle came out of the floor vertically on right, man does that bring back fond memories, WOW thanks again for sharing. ts-24 frank

  79. #79dieseldave2010-03-28 21:38

    Some scraper pics. The one behind the D9G is a Curtis-Wright.

  80. #80ts-24 frank2010-03-30 19:36

    scraper dieseldave; great shots of the scraper, the last one is a LETURNU isent it. ts-24frank

  81. #81cat345bl2010-03-31 16:47

    The Green letourneau, is an ex James D Morrissey scraper. I believe Gerhart bought it at an auction in the 1980's. It is in great shape, you can still make out the jdm lettering on it. I also think they have a ex gradall also used to be owned by jdm, for sale.

  82. #82dieseldave2010-04-07 20:30

    Frank, I sent you a PM, I'm going to run the D9 this week if the weather holds. Here are a couple more pics- not from Gerhart's because I'm still sorting my computer since it's crash- but from my own collection of junk. 983 and JD 300 backhoe, 983, D9 and D2

  83. #83du5tyl2010-04-27 14:34

    I really like those restored semi-trucks. They are awesome.

  84. #84goodwin2010-10-13 02:12

    cat769 dumper I used to operate a 769c underground, it had an ejector tray on it, they only let the best operators drive it because it was so dangerous. the only way to stop it if you were going down the decline(even empty) was to cautiosly apply the retarder,if you forgot, and hit the brake it would just slide into the wall! with a full load of lead ore on, the left front wheel would clear the ground by at least a foot going uphill, if there was any camber on the road. all this bieng said, it moved twice the dirt of all the wagners and toros, havent thought of that in years, thanks for reminding me:drinkup

  85. #85frenchriverland2010-10-27 19:02

    Do you have any steam cranes?

  86. #86dieseldave2010-11-05 21:48

    Gerhart's doesn't have any, but there's one at Rough and Tumble that I might have some pics of. BTW, I really enjoy your website http://frenchriverland.com/index.html , the pics and stories are fantastic, but every time I go there my computer locks up. That happen to anyone else?

  87. #87RonG2010-11-06 03:18

    Those graphics slow my computer down too.If you have a slow provider it might seem as though it was locking up because it is probably waiting for the files to download.I am using Cox and they are pretty fast but I have to wait some for the pages to load.Ron G

  88. #88joelwelder2013-03-30 20:01

    that 769 a used to belong to james Julian inc. wilm. de he had a fleet of 15 or so. did a lot of welding and mechanical repairs on those over the years. a jump start a little either they'd fire right up!

  89. #89Koehringman2013-04-13 20:31

    Gerhart's update..They're having a show May 4th 2013 and October 4th and 5th. Excited to go now that I've learned abot this place.

  90. #90glenlunberg2013-08-18 21:51

    Cool pictures Dave! I really love seeing scraper machines. They're look very hot!

  91. #91renaud2013-08-22 22:01

    I could'nt agree more with you on that.....Theire would be some interresting stories that's for sure!!! I went there my self last June.Spent a whole afternoon wandering around and being amazed by everything i saw. Thanks for posting. Max.

  92. #92Brockwaykid2014-05-26 23:01

    Truklodyte- Brockway made their own chassis, and got their cabs from the same company mack did, Sheller Globe. the brockway cabs were different in design to the macks in a few different ways. the clutch pedal was through the floor, roof vent was farther back, and the cowls/firewalls were different. Brockways always had their own steering wheels too. Not sure where you are getting this information from.... The cabovers however did share the same cabs as mack and hayes.

  93. #93rayman2014-08-15 00:31

    Hi guys, that little yellow T6 Michigan truck crane was also built in the UK by "Allen" of Oxford. The crane was driven from the truck engine through a split box (disengage the diff. shaft and engage the crane shaft) and up the center of the king pin.pnuematic diaphram clutch controls, normal friction brakes. They came with lattice crane boom (40') 1/2 yd, front shovel, or dragline. The English units had either a 5LW Gardner or 4BK Dorman engine. They were a very nice rig and easy to operate too. regards ray