Here are a few pics from work today. View from a camp we did the site work for this year. Built the road last year. Almost 2000' long. Gravel delivery to a private club boathouse construction, pic looking up the lake. Big boys leaf blower.
nice pics i cant wait to post some, whats the last one of?
Nice pics, I like the fall colors in the one. That is some leaf blower. Why do you need to blow the leaves off a gravel road?
My guess would be to regrade road before winter, some of the towns around here have blowers on their 1 ton's to blow the leaves off the roads and out of the diches before winter.
We try to keep the ditches as free of leaves as possible to prevent washouts.
envious Looks like a nice job must be nice to do that for a living.Views views... I use my tractor for therapy after my day job. works for me.
Pretty nice place to work, nedly. There's no doubt, we're pretty fortunate to live & work in these parts of the countryside, huh? Where abouts are theres shots taken at in the Adirondacks...Tupper Lake, Lake Placid, Indian Lake, etc???:beatsme
Keene/Keene Valley area. Ever go through here? Let me know next time and we'll go have lunch!
my JD toy
Yeah, been through Keene Valley many times. You're a lucky man to live and make a living there...That scenery across rt. 73 is something to see, with the cascading waterfalls down over the cliffs and stuff, man what a nice area. I never know when I'm going to be where, until the day before I get the orders. Next time I haul something from Cat in Clifton Park up that way, I'll holler. I was just up there for something recently, can't remember for the life of me why though. I was in Bolton Landing with a 330D, and oh, I remember, North Creek with a portable screening plant to a contractor with a gravel pit up there.(Slight brain freeze.) :drinkup
Is that a skidder on the back of the JD Nedly?
LowBoy It's definitly a beautiful place to live, and to be able to work 50+ hrs a week and never leave town is a great deal. Seriously though if you are headed this way, let me know I'd love to get together and shoot the breeze:drinkup Steve, Yup, that's a JL-601 Farmi winch, it seems to be a really rugged unit. I have only had it about 2 weeks. When I bought the machine it came with a front mount snowblower, and I didnt want a front mount because they tie up the whole machine, I want to be able to use the bucket or winch/chipper... so I traded even with a guy and ran down to MA for the weekend to my sisters place and dropped off the blower and picked up the winch. I hooked up with the guy over at TBN, good ole forums!!! I have an AnBo grapple and a WR long electro hydraulic kit waiting for me at a farm machinery place nearby, I have to drop her off there for a couple days. I'll post some pics of it when I get it back. Then with the winch, the grapple and the 8" chipper she'll be ready to cut some wood this winter:thumbsup
Heres some more random photgraphy: Last winters logging operation. My dog Anna(black lab) and my niece Noodles(chocolate lab)
That leaf blower would make a great fire pile starter, too. Got a pile 'o brush you wanna touch off? Just get a little corner started, and when it's going a little, just turn that chute towards it and watch 'er take off! It's a bellows on steroids.:drinkup
Those are some pretty hounds there. Labs are great. What is that skidder, a Tree Farmer or a Timberjack, I can't quite tell...? I'm leaning towards Timberjack, but somebody painted it and threw me off.
I forget what the wind speed is, but I think its like 160 MPH, that much wind out of that 8" chute is an impressive machine. We worked a good share of the week blowing the roads we take care of, before this machine it was almost a month, that was with 3 or 4 guys and backpack blowers.
Labs are definitly great, they have a blast together. Thats acutally a C-5 Tree Farmer, it has been painted to the dark green from that hidious lime green they came with. It has a 3-53 powerplant, Dad says you can hear me comin' for a long ways!!
In all honesty I was thinking Tree Farmer, but my brain kept persuading my fingers to type Timberjack. I was thinking it was a C-6. Definitely a screamer!
nice pics and nice dogs got any more pics of those two excavators
pics featuring excavators for the fireman here are some
a few more... And a few more to start your Monday.
A few more random photos Some random pics from today.
The pics above are of a house that had no foundation and the floor was 6" out from one end to the other, a company came in a jacked it up, and dug the cellar, the walls were poured, and now we are backfilling, drains, utilities...start tomorrow AM. Moving the excavator in!
that is some nice equipment you got there nedly05 i really like that kobelco and that new dumptruck
Thanks Fireman, the kobelco is a great machine,I would love to have a 115 with a hydraulic thumb. That 5500 GMC has proven to be a good addition to the fleet. The GVW has been upped to 26,000lbs so it's legal for 7.5 ton. It handles it like nothing.:thumbsup
Nice pictures nedly, I just moved to the area to attend school at Paul Smiths. I swear I have drove by that 490d before but can't remember where. Anyways if you guys ever need a extra hand someday just pm me. I'm always willing to work, it was tough to leave my job back home and come to school.
Welcome to HEF Dieseln2stroke! :drinkup
I'll definitly keep you in mind. I looked at Paul Smiths forestry program when I was a senior in HS, I was very close to going, what a great set up they have. The 490 sat on the side of the road along RT 73 going out of Keene on the way to Lake Placid, I demo'd a trailer there and the machine sat there for a while. Also did a few other jobs on the main drag, but thats most likely where you saw her.:thumbsup I like your avatar,I have a 575XP and a 346...GOOD STUFF
Thanks countryboy, Ive been looking at the site for a while and finally decided to sign up. nedly, That is where I saw the 490, I knew I saw it before lol. That 575xp is a really nice saw, to expensive for me now. I'm currently looking to get a new saw and was thinking maybe a 359. Any good husky dealers up this way?
I figured thats where you saw it!! Parkside Supply in Wilmington, is a good husky dealer, thats where I go.
Nice pics! I have a black (mother) & chocalate (daughter) labs as well, great dogs.
Moving the JD to a farm equipment place this afternoon for a new AnBo grapple and auxillary hydraulic lines to the front, with an elctrically operated valve that actuates from the loader lever. Should be a slick set-up! Jazak, Any pics of the doggies?
Grapple Got the machine back finally, so the grapple is on, the new hyds are hook up(although not how I spec'd them...oh well it works) The tires are loaded. Can't wait to grapple something. I have about 2-3 days worth of chipping to do but it snowed 4-5 inches today so I am not sure I can get into the job and then back out...I'll use it for loading logs this winter!!:thumbsup
Todays project Installed a 1250 gallon septic tank today.
Little driveway Pics of a small driveway job. The town paved the road, and the owner was not able to get deliverys into his shop due to the rear bumper dragging on the lumber trucks, so we cut some trees,added a culvert and a couple loads of gravel, and... VOILA he has a nice driveway! Wish I had taken a few after it was done, but oh well.
nice pics
Its been over 20 years since I've seen a concrete septic tank. I didn't know they still made them. They use plastic ones around here. Nice photos Nedly.
Thanks,Lash! We have done 8 septic systems this year, this is only the second concrete tank we've used, the rest have been plastic. Plastic are just so much easier to work with. We have them delivered to the yard throw them in the 1 ton and go. Heck, you can set one with the three ton machine! The truck driver asked us why he hadn't seen us much this year, thought we hadnt been busy.LOL, didnt have the heart to tell him.
Pulled into the quarry today and got an unpleasant surprise, 10 trucks ahead of me, I Have been spoiled lately, they have been able to load me right up, not so this AM!!
nedly, i'd love to see more pics from the quarry if you have them...is that a kawasaki loader?
Yeah it's a Kawasaki 95ZV, its a bad xxx loader, it sounds awesome when the operator winds it up, I'll try to get more pics if I go tomorrow!
sounds good thanks!
Some new pics. Site work on a barn rehab. This barn was about 25 mins. from falling over, had to dig around and under it, and build a road around it with a turn around spot.
The weather turned back nice today, so we headed back into the mountains to get some grading and a septic system done before winter sets in for good. 1)Ready to roll 2)walking the 70 2 miles beyond where I can get the truck/trailer 3)rough grading, access road construction
great pics nedly, I love the granite!
Thanks, Me too!
hey nedly who put the box on it? Is that an Ox body?
It was put on by Iroquois Equipment in Hinesburg Vt. It may be an ox, I thought it was made at Iroquois. It is heated and made from AR400, 2'minus shot rock doesnt even dent it!
That 27c deere looks good.. I have a run a 35c before and it was very strong ..
Friday was supposed to be an easy day, move two machines, and be done by noon. Well the little 503 galion decided to make that a bit more of a challenge than I had been expecting. The blade caught at the top of the beaver tail and then it wouldnt go forward or backward. I gave it my all moving the blade and trying to rock it until I had it in a position that left me with 1 option, call for the backhoe! Once the backhoe got there we lifted it up and hitched it on the trailer, chained it down. Back in business! Then I had to unload it, The same deal only the opposite direction, this time the machine had traction when the blade caught and it shot the front right off the side of the tail. Had to walk out and get a dozer. put the dozer blade under the grader blade and lifted it and walked it back on to the ramps. What an event! next time I'll be moving it with the 5 ton tilt!!
Nedly, Just came across your thread and wanted to compliment you on it. I really enjoyed reading about your adventures!!!! But even better are your pics. Both the equipment and the scenery are amazing!!! Thanks, Eddie
Thanks Eddie I'm glad you're enjoying it!, here are some more from the summer. This job was a trick, it rained so much in the early part of the summer that the site was so wet the only machine we could use was the excavator, the loader was useless after about 10 minutes. We had to cut and fill to make the site, and then install drains to dry it up. I dont have very many good pics, but here are a few. We finally got the site dried up enough to dig the cellar, but the drains ran steady, and still are running. In the middle pic, the dog was so tired from digging up the sub slab as we prepped it that she needed a nap! Pic quality isnt great, they are cell phone pics!
Nedly Next time you have to load that little blade, try removing the 2 bolts for the blade pitch and rolling the blade back closer to vertical. That will gain you 6 to 8 inches of clearance, and a less stressfull laoding experience. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
I noticed that after I tried to unload it!!!! Thanks!
Todays project, strip sod and topsoil, seperate stones(stones in the 1st pic were in the topsoil layer ), and dig a 24X36 foundation with a small bump out on the back side, walk out in the front with frost walls. Everything was going great, then I found ledge. Forgot to take any ledge pics, soory bout that. After a long period of indecision with the homeowners we decided to stick to plan A and dig the cellar, then let the concrete guy tell us what he wants, if anything. Here are a few pics!
First pic is a truck I saw in Port Alberni B.C. 2 and 3) Pics of my excavator at a basement job with a layer of beach sand. This is high on a bench above Okanagan lake B.C. 4 and 5) Pics of a job hauling rocks to the river channel The load had to be washed down in the truck with a hose before unloading in the river. I was driving the gravel truck. Excavator sat in the river. Drive oil was replaced with peanut oil I believe.
nedly, great pics....those little kobelco's are awesome! tootalltimmy; with no disrespect intended, what exactly does that have to do with this topic?
The original post was titled "Random Pics". I didn't realize it was only nedly05 that was posting pics. Not trying to hijack this. OOPS!
I love the kobelco, you cant believe how much work you can do with that machine. Its our bread and butter really, we use it all the time. I would love to have a new one! (wouldnt we all.. ) Timmy, its ok I know you wernt trying to highjack, its a confusing title, great pics just the same! how do you like the case machine?
Thanks for the kind words. I try to follow the unwritten rules. I was just confused again! Keep posting more pictures please. I have put only 170 hours on it myself. 540 total I like it a lot . But.... Seeing how this is my first machine, I don't have a lot to compare it to.
Today we got a call from some masons working just up the road from the shop, they were trying to dig next to a house by hand, and had hit a big rock. We brought the 410-G up and moved it, then they asked since we were there if we could dig it for them and tear out a concrete step. We ran and got the mini and I snuck around the back of the house and started working away from dad as he busted up the step. Heres a pic!
Monday I dug a waterline, it was a bit of a challenge, mostly because I am spoiled and get to do everything with the excavator, well I did this one with the 410-G. It was very steep, it gets steeper than it looks in the pic! I felt a little awkward for a while, but I got it done. That new backhoe is great, but you just can't beat and excavator!
900!
Today we did some grading in front of a garage to stop water from entering.Dug it down, graded and swaled it away and added some fine gravel, it was a big improvement!
The best day ever! Three weeks ago this coming Tuesday my wife gave birth to our first child! A little girl! Man is it amazing how fast things change, how your perspective on the world is different, and how hard it is to leave for work for 10hrs after you have a child!! Shes starting to get into a better groove for sleeping at night and being awake during the day, but for a while she was totally backwards! So if your seeing some posts from me at strange hours, thats why, she and I are cruisin HEF, machinerytrader.com, and truckpaper.com!!!!
Congratulations! Every day will be a new adventure. Enjoy!
Thanks timmy!!
We did some work on a old logging road that the owners are slowly trying to turn in to a decent road. The first part is really steep. They had a few places where ledge protruded out toward the road, so we went up,cleaned the ditches, lined them with cob rock, and drilled and blasted the two worst spots. Heres the actual blast, notice how I jump when the shot goes off! LOL YouTube - Ditch Project part 1
This is the video of putting the ditch back together after the shot rock had been cleaned up. After the blast, that section of ditch was way lower than the rest of the ditch, so I sorted out the smaller shot rock and built it up, then used some crusher run to finish it, then added the cob rock. YouTube - Ditch Project
Nice work! What size bed is on your granite?? We keep thinking about maybe getting a tandem but want to keep it on the smaller side so we can still get into back yards. Yours looks like a good size, low sides, not like some of the others you usually see. I think if we get one it will be about 14ft long.
Thanks!, the box is 14 feet. It's super manueverable, in lo lo, I can just let it crawl, and it hasnt ever not gone where I wanted it to. The sides are low enough that its easy to load, but not so high that you cant haul stumps, C&D and other awkward stuff. It's a great truck, I am super happy with it!
This is "phase 2" of a guard rail/ retaining wall we started last fall. In "phase 1" we layed up 2' minus shot rock, and placed 15" plastic culvert vertically, about 4'-5' deep. After all of the shot rock was placed and culverts set, we set our 8X8 posts in them, braced them up and poured the culverts full of concrete. After the posts were all set and the concrete set up we bolted 6X8's on for a rail. Its totally solid, and they gained about a foot of road. "phase 2" is more just guard rails, the culverts are being set more in gravel this year as most of the shot rock was placed on this section of road during renovation of the house, when some ledge was blasted to make the road wider. There will be some shot rock work but nothing like last year.
Some of the rails from last year and the wall.
When they did the renovation, they had to set up a pump truck to pour the concrete, well when they cleaned out the pump they just slopped the concrete around on the edge of the road and covered it up. Of course that little 6" stump was right where a post had to go and it had about a foot of concrete 3' out all the way around it, we got it though!!
Some more, the last one is the staging area for the new water main in town. I'm not very good at driving and taking pics! I will try to get some more. It's a complicated little system for a town of 1000 people. A lot of directional drilling. They have to push under the river 4 times,and the road 3 times just for the main. Then they have to push all of the laterals for the houses on the oppisite side of the main. In the beginning the digging was so bad that they brought in a crusher and crushed all of the dig down to 4" minus and used it for backfill after the bedding was in. The whole main basically follows the river through town, and its all nested cobbles, and boulders. I think they went 75' the first day. They are doing the main with a 228 Komatsu, and a volvo loader. Crushing with a 345 Cat, and a big Nordberg crusher. The laterals and drill pits are being dug by two 312 Cats and a 175 Terex duck. They have a D5 at the dump site for anything thats not being crushed.They have had 5 dump trucks working everyday. It's quite a job, they are planning on going until December then picking up again in the spring.
Congrats on your lil girl, a life changing event. Glad to see you keeping busy, now will be plenty busy all the time. Trbo
Thanks TRBO!!! Oh I'm plenty busy alright, 55 hrs a week, and getting up at 3AM, but I'm having a blast!
A quick video from todays truckin' The Jake sounds pretty good if I say so myself!! YouTube - Haulin' stumps with the Mack
Sweet video and the Jake brake sounds awesome! We need more.
Thanks!! I can do that! It takes me forever to upload to you tube though. Is it my service or does it take everyone a long time?
It takes a long time for me as well, nedly. Great vid, the truck sounds great!
:thumbsupThanks! Here are a few pics of the job we are on. It consisted of building 300' of road bypassing an old road which will now be turned in to parking. Then a large tri-angular shaped area for parking. The pines stumps we are digging out were 30" and 32" average, so we had to quarter them and break them up to load them out. All of the pine is being milled on site and will be used to build a new building this winter. This is an awesome job, no fiddling around with a shovel, just diggin' pushin' and truckin':thumbsup
More.
Is 9 weeks too young for an excavator lesson?
Here are a few of the waterline project in town. The PC228 is the mainline hoe, and the 330 Volvo has been busting ledge in this one section. The digging has been so bad that they brought in a crusher to crush the dig down to 4"- and using it for backfill, the 330 has been loading the crusher mostly. They did have a 345 there too but thats gone now. I can get more pics if you guys are interested. Probably another couple weeks and the mainline will all be in, just lateral hookups and cleanup after that.
Great pics nedly. How did the little one react to the noise? Looks like your keeping the truck in great shape!
Thanks! She seemed OK, I didnt do too much really, just spun around slowly, she doesnt stay up too well on her own LOL! I'm trying to keep up with the truck, it's hard to keep it clean, needs a bath right now, bad! The box and frame are getting painted this winter, just going to brush it on, nice and heavy. I just need to figure out what is the best paint to use, something heavy with a gloss finish!
nedly, I would just get some spray cans of rustoleum, and spray it on heavy. The only thing about spraying is the masking off you havd to do. What color are you thinking of painting the bed? Have you given any thought to putting any kind of bed liner in?
The box is going to be painted black. I really havent considered a liner, I dont really know if I need one, it's built out of HardOx steel so its almost impossible to dent, and it wears super well. As far as stuff sticking in the box, with that slant gate I really have to try not to slam it by pulling ahead really slow and watching the gate in the mirror. Nothing ever stuck in!! I originally was going to spray it, but it seems like there is a bunch more prep and so on. I've never really done any painting, but I know I can make it look better with a brush, I will probably buy a couple cases of rustloeum for the hard to get at areas, but I think I'm going to just go to tractor supply and get a couple gallons of black paint and go to work. I will sand it all down and what not first. I was going to spray, but yesterday I was talking to a guy who does all of his dump boxes every year, he says they used to spray, but now they just brush it on. He says they like that better because you can get it on thicker in less time.His trucks look great too!
That will be a sharp paint job nedly. Good luck, and be sure to take plenty of pics.
You know it!
Thank you ATCO! I kind of fell into a deal on a really decent 1998 Deere 110. Normally this isnt the time of year to be purchasing an excavator, but everything lined up. Its set up the way I want, and it's been very well maintained. I would like to get a 30" digging bucket and cut the teeth off the 42" bucket though as I feel its a bit big for general digging. So far I am very happy with it. Special thanks to ATCO for his advice and picture reviews! Anyone have a 30" Wain-Roy bucket that will fit?
That 110 looks nice. The blade and thumb are great to have. You should be able to lots with that one.
Thanks Timmy, I've run it about 3 hrs so far and I absolutely love it. I would like to get a narrower digging bucket and a clean up bucket, or a narrower bucket and cut the teeth off the one I have and weld on a cutting edge.
I had teeth on my cleanup bucket. I planned to replace the cutting edge and keep the one with the teeth until I found out the bolts were $10 apiece and the edge was $1000 from CWS! I got them cut off.
I would have too! I'm thinking of just using a piece of old loader cutting edge. How wide is your cleanup bucket?
54 inches
I would like a low profile cleanup bucket really a 50-60" one. Hey timmy how's the truck and trailer treating you? Do you have any pics? What is the one in your avatar?
That is a sweet looking 110. What do you plan on using it for septics, basements or a all-a-round machine?
Haven't used them much. Worked for wages for 3 months on a construction site. I have hauled a few loads with the truck and moved the excavator and a backhoe. Hopefully will be better informed and prepared next season. Truck and trailer working well,
thanks, it will be an all around machine, a little bit of everything! Looks very nice timmy, did you buy a 50D?
You're pics got me all excited timmy, For some reason I just love pics of a machine on a tag trailer behind a tandem!
nedly, looks like you deal with the same thing. pretty place to live, lots of rock. nice pics. how many hours on that 70? looks like you have got you're moneys worth out of that machine
I guess that must be why I like your pics so much, we have a lot in common (just your operation is much larger!) the 70 has 4000 hrs on it now. It has been a great machine, knock on wood. It's a real performer for it's size, we use that machine more than the big ones.
yeah, i had a bobcat 442. brand new. good size machine. it seemed to run hot a it burned quite a bit of motor oil in the first 300 hours. for 95k i sent it back for another 435. i dont think the 442 did twice as much work as a 435. and for twicw as much it did not add uo. i also had a L-B 135, that was a sweety. good reach for sewer and water, easy to move, fit on a trailer nice. i like having the 210's. everything is the same about them apart from the x2 takes different fuel filters. the 110 will fit you nice. just remember , give youreslf a little more room. if you are used to a zero tail it is easy to ding up the counterweight cuase you think if the tracks fit the machine does too!
Yeah, I was thinking about printing out a little thing that says TAIL SWING and taping it by the gauges, I am just way too spoiled by the zero tail swing!
I had to move some iron this AM and planned on taking some pics, but of course I forgot the camera.The 410-G is up to it's old tricks again, it overheated loading trucks the other day, so I shut it down, and when I could I checked the coolant. I couldn't see any, so I added a gallon and topped it off. Once it was full I noticed there was a scum of oil on top of the coolant. Mechanic said get it to the shop, but don't road it. He thinks it may be the oil cooler, we should know early tomorrow AM. That machine has been a major dissapointment. In the second pic, I was about to head out, and got a call that DOT was set up down the road, so I checked everything over extra carefully, and added the chain over the stick. When I went by they had the competition stopped, so they didn't bother me! PS, the G'zone rock takes crappy pics, does anyone else have one?
nedly, where's the pics of the 110 in action??is that the one you are slimmin down?
No pics yet, its in one of our pits being used as a loader at the moment, I will try to get some pics of it this week. It has that massive bucket on it, according to the tag its 1.047 yards, so you can load a truck damn quick! The 110 is the one I'm trimming the tracks on.
is it that big of a deal to be "wide" over there. the d.o.t. boys must be damn slow. i would never trim tracks down, but if it a big problem to move then it is your decision. i love wide track excavators- love em. would not own one without them.
I understand the benefit of wide tracks, If it were a newer machine it probably would 8'6" with wide pads, they seem to have reworked that size machine to be a legal width load. I am sure it's a danged if you do danged if you dont deal, but I'm moving forward with it at this point, time will tell! Was your 135 legal width with wide pads?
yeah, it was was 8'6" all the talk of the 135 has got me bit sentimental. that was a good hoe. didn't burn any fuel, fast, quiet. well whatever. good luck on the track trimming. i am sure you mad the best decision possible
All the talk of the 135 has me wanting one!
nedly , you just got a new hoe. a 110 is a good machine. the 135 is bad ass maybe i don't know what you gave for the 110. but you could get a 135-linkbelt, deere, hitachi, komatsu 138- cat 314, case. something with 2500 hours for 40-50k. there was a kobelco ed 150 at the auction- brand new, 1200 hrs, had a thumb all the jazz- went for 58k. the guy had a note on it though it it did not pay it off so it never sold. but there are bargains out there. i will have pics of my new service truck monday.
I know I know, I like the looks of that 135, I get all freeked up over pictures! the 110 will have to go someday though... Look forward to seeing the new truck.
yeah, a 135 would be perfect for you. with a blade and thumb say a 36" bucket, lot's of guys run the long stick. no q/c. a coupler would be sweet with a 36" and a 54" clean up with a cutting edge. make some money then go abuse someone at the auction or elsewhere.
Yeah Yeah, blade, thumb, coupler, 36" bucket and 60" tippy bucket! How do you keep track of the auctions?
the auctions- go to www.ritchiebrothers.com . local auctions are real good as well. the ones that i like are the ones where no one shows up, everbody is broke and there are lot's of toys. the repo market is real hot right now as well. good machines that can be bought for a small amount over the payout. www.davidsteed.com
Good info, thanks!
Wow, steed has a ton of stuff on there! I wish the prices were posted.
it is a take a check and work em over type deal. usually whatever they are asking they will take 30% less. i have never dealt with steed but speaking in general. everyone is broke right now as well, so the banks really jasut want stuff off thier books by the end of the year. i have had good luck in jan, feb. as well. i got my service truck for about 25 off asking price.
Sounds like you know how to deal! there are definetly some deals to be had.
Road job start and cut down excavator tracks. As promised, here are the pics of the pads cut down to 24". I didnt get a chance to go down after he was completely done, but after seeing it I am glad I did it. It looks like thats what it should have had to begin with. We still have the 490-D with wide pads, and the 70SR has wide pads, so if we need to go in a wet spot we can take one of those machines. The pic of the cut edge is right after he finished that side, I havent touched it with a grinder at all, but I dont think I'll even bother, it's clean enough and it will wear some. I am pretty impressed with his cuts, he marked his line with a square and cut it free hand! We just started the road job (more of a driveway) this AM. We went up and cut most of the small brush and being as how there were a few that looked Christmas Tree like, I couldnt resist but be a smart aleck and make a sign to give them away!
Standby, Having tech issues, more pics soon!
Here are some more of the track trimming and one of the machine itself.
And the free trees at the driveway job.
Nice torch work. That really came out good. Thanks for the pics. Now the DOT will have to find something else to hassle you about...
. Oh they will,don't worry!
We started the road this AM, it's a pretty good cut off the town road. I wanted to get more pics, but with 2 trucks running and a 4 mile round trip to the dump site, I stayed pretty busy. We made fairly good progress, got through the cut and up where we can build the rest of it fairly fast. Sorry about the poor quality pics, we got a new computer (mac) and I am having trouble learning iphoto, so I am never able to post pics from it for some reason. The cell phone pics are the only ones I can make work:beatsme
What is the problem with iPhoto? I have a Mac, maybe I can help.
I'm unable to resize the pics to post to HEF on iPhoto but if I send a cell phone pic to my email I can resize it in the downloads folder. Also when I go to browse the pics all I can see is the pic number so I have to open iPhoto to refernce the pic that goes with the number. Clear as mud? Lol! Thanks!
keep at it nedly, i had some big problems nyself. i got it figured out on my storm 2, then my other pics i have to resize, driveway looking good
Thanks CD, I am really glad we got this new computer but theres a bit of a learning curve with it. One other thing is I cant figure out how to save pics, like with the PC if I saw a pic I liked online I would right click it and save it, how do you do that with a Mac?
Easiest way is to just click on the picture and hold the mouse button down and drag it to the desktop and than release the button. It will save the picture to the desktop and you can move it wherever you want to store it.
Excellent,thank you!
Took the little grader to the mechanic to get some work done to make it a bit more useable. Needs to have the cylinders rebuilt and the rods re-chromed, the brake needs to be overhauled, motor tuned up etc. After that we will either start running it or sell it. I would love to make the steering hydraulic, even if it steered off a hydraulic lever that would be fine, it's so dang hard to turn around!
nedly, i see you got the camera working. the weather is crap here, but not so cold ...around 25f .have a good day,, be safe.. cd
I actually took that pic with my phone, that one looks a lot better than the last, must be the operator:beatsme
I had to take off early today so I snapped one on the way out. We were fixing up a road that the 5" of rain raised heck with. In this one we were reclaiming some gravel at a culvert crossing.Gotta run, have a good afternoon!
Back and the road job, got a few pics as we went. Made some pretty good progress yesterday. It's snowing today, so hopefully we will be able to make some good time today, because we can have it all roughed in.
nice! nedly. looks good. how far will you have to cut the subgrade on that job. is it all dirt and topsoil. will you lay in pit run and base? keep at it.. bob
This job is all getting fabric underneath. I've been stripping the organic material down to a wet hardpan layer then as I go I bury my stumps and use the gravel from that for a base. Then the fabric goes down and coarse crusher run on top. Didn't make it there today, went home sick. Me my wife and daughter all have a stomach bug, this isn't really a fun place o be right now.
I didn't really answer your question lol. Theupper side has Tobe cut about 3 feet in some spots but the duff is only like 6 inches deep, I take the duff off allof it the use my cut for my fill. So far I've been able to build most ofit without bringing in any fill material. It's a fun job I love doing roads.
What brand is the chipper on the tractor?, how is it, Thinking of getting one... Great pics...
Lookin good, Nedly! are you guys pretty busy or are things slowing down?
Its a bearcat model 72854. I love it, its an amazing machine We are still going pretty good, but we will start slowing down pretty soon.
Depending on how much time the truck will spend on road you may want to look at the 916, 917, 920 trucks. The Marines overhauled some with Cummins BCII's and Allison HD4070P's. That would be the best setup for an on/off road truck, the 4 speed Allisons they replace have the engines revved out at 62mph and the airshift cat weren't well liked. They are heavy trucks, but can scale more than the 5 tons and are more at ease runing highway speeds. M920A4 with bed M915A4 with 1600's Road job is turning out real nice, Nedly. Do you use Geotec on all the roads you build? Also what size stick does the SR70 have? Where did the deere tractor get off to?
If I were to get one, it would most likely be an old 5 ton.that M920A4 is a slick truck though. We use geotech on a lot of jobs, usually if its a 4 season road and there isnt good gravel on site we will use fabric, so thats most road jobs we do. For what little bit it costs its worth the peace of mind. Which Deere tractor? lol the 5420? I traded that for a skid steer a few years ago. I then sold the skid and bought the kioti, kind of full circle huh? the 5420 was big and awkward, the skid wasnt right for replacing a tractor. the DK55 fits just right, though I would like to have a skid steer. I'm not sure on the length of the stick, I will have to measure it.
glad to hear Nedly, keep up the good work and pics!
we never use fabric under roads, i have thought about it. no one ever spec's it. we always dig out the clay and lay in a couple feet of pit run. we use gepgrid behind rock and bouler walls. felt fabric arounf drywells and drainage
Never used gepgrid, what is it? We use felt on all drainage jobs. It looks like we may wait till spring to gravel it now, there is a lot of water seeping out of the cut, so we are going to put down a layer of #4 crushed stone, or cob rock on top of the fabric and then gravel over it. It's starting to become an icy mess up there!
I'm gonna guess he meant geo-grid. It's the stuff you put in the fill behind walls. The horizontal load on the wall is transfered back to the fill.
I'll have to look into that, it sounds like a neat product. Cant believe I've never heard of it!
Good thread Nedly a lot of the road and parking lot jobs I work on around here use geotextiles we have a lot of wet heavy clay gumbo here that is 30% bentonite and then a lot of silt pockets that turn into soup if it rains. There was one roadbuilding job I was driving by earlier this summer they dug down about four feet put down black filter cloth of some type and some kind of geogrid material that looked like black snowfencing, followed by a couple feet of 6" minus crushed limestone, 2" minus crushed limestone, and finally 3/4" crushed limestone. They also put in some kind of weeping tile that ties into the catch basins for subgrade drainage. That road has gotta be costing the taxpayers an arm and leg to build. Keep the pics coming in.
Really 245? There is wet heavy gumbo clay there? I only ask because you've mentioned it in 397 of your 404 posts.
Should be a solid road when its done!
Haha. I have never thought about it until now, but 245 has mentioned the wet heavy gumbo clay in a post or two. This is cracking me up..good catch burnout
I was able to finish roughing the road in this AM, it was a nice warm 0 when we started, the machines werent too exited about going to work, but they agreed after some persuasion. Dug out a big rock that was in my way and went to knocking trees over and chipping. Its all done for now, we arent going to gravel until spring so we can be sure the drainage issues are dealt with properly.
A pic of the big ole' rock that needed to go away.
That's a good sized rock to get out of the hole. Was that about all the 70 wanted?
How does that chipper work are you hand feeding everything into it or are you not chipping the trunks of the trees.
Looks like he is chipping the tops and piling up logs. I think that is a 9" chipper, can't feed much of a tree through that.
looking good bud. looks like you have plenty of firewood.
We piled all of the logs and chipped everything else. Its all hand fed. We did stick a couple of small trees in there that were way too big and walked them through with the panic bar, but it takes way too long. thats pretty much it! Thanks!Yeah but the land owner wanted it all piled and left on site so the folks in the neighborhood could have it.It's a nice gesture, but it would have been nice to take a load or two out. I've been lucky this year, got a lot of firewood off jobs.
I know 245, he has mentioned it to me a few thousand times.
I had to get the 70 off the road job due to some crappy weather coming this way. We are supposed to get some rain,snow,freezing rain and I dont really like moving after everything has been coated in ice. So I go to get the Mack running, and the air compressor is frozen I tried to thaw it with now luck, so I decided to take the old war horse. She performed like a champ, but theres a bad air connection in the trailer supply so I had no trailer brakes and shes a lot slower than the Mack but the old gal got it done!:usa
Heres a pic of what 10 miles after a storm looks like on your trailer. Makes me a little sick knowing how much salt is in there. Had an electric line to do, and it was supposed to go today, but we moved in yesterday and after talking to the electrician we decided to get it done. Never broke ground until after lunch, got to the end and found enough water in the ground that we had to dig a drain to daylight. the electrician got his conduit all together in one long shot and we pulled it in. We had to get it under a piece of drain pipe where the water was running. Well i didnt want to go so I started pawing away at the trench with my hands, with the water running in single digit temps, and I lost my wedding ring. Didnt feel it come off or notice it until I got back to the shop. Wifey was mad! Gotta go up and see if I can find it today. Finished backfilling with the lights. I had intentions of taking some pics, but once we started it was balls to the wall until we finished. Our carhartts were frozen mud up to our knees when we left:Banghead
the freezing rain is probably way worse than the snow. out here they use mag chloride on the road and it is the same deal. keep the trucks clean becuase it wreaks havoc on everything. hope all is well.
They use the mag chloride here too. the salt trucks have tanks right on the spreaders that spray the salt as it comes out of the hopper. Its disgusting what it does to trucks/ equipment. Happy Holidays!
Yeah I think that's what the city here is using, they claim it's calcium chloride, but with how seemingly sticky and dark brown it is there's no way it's calcium chloride. We use calcium chloride at work in our truck boxes to keep sand and alluvial gravel from sticking but it only works to about -12 C. Now we're old antifreeze in the steel boxes which works a lot better.
yeah, for the dump truck boxes we just have a five gallon bucket and an old broom and slop the red fuel around for the cold weather. seems to work well. when it is 10 below or so i will keep a top hat going close to the hoe. in between trucks he justs lays his bucket over the heater and it keeps it close to ground temp or warmer. i hate a bucket packed full of frozen s...t. hate even worse having to clean em out in the cold after work. guess it's part of the job. nedley, merry christmas buddy!! i am off to france. hoping to get a tour of the liebherr factory. cheers. CD
Yeah that's pretty much what I've been doing using an old broom and slopping it onto all metal surfaces and I keep an extra couple of jugs in the truck in case I need to do a touch up. When I was doing a lot of basement digging if I wasn't able to take the machine back to the shop I'd use wood scraps from the framers and carpenters to start a fire and thaw the bucket so all took was a couple bangs and it was clean.
merry Christmas CD ole' bud! Have a safe trip and enjoy it, don't forget to take pics at the liebherr plant!
Winter Maintenance We are doing a major overhaul on the 20 Ton, new deck, paint, LED lights, hub seals,diamond floor plate, fish plated cross members in the beaver tail that were rusted through. I also added channel to the beaver tail to build a frame to weld angle iron to. I put angle from the end of the ramps to the top of the beaver tail. Hopefully it makes loading a bit easier. The trailer is a bit bigger than the shop so we had to build an enclosure around the tongue and insulate it so we could keep the shop warm. I think the Mack will be next for paint. It was too nice a day to weld all day so I got everything tacked in place and went and got the skidder and 110 ready to do a little logging.
What kind of lumber are you putting on for your deck?
We cleared a site that was all oak so we had it sawed out and are using that. I was hoping to use rumber but this was a much more affordable option.
Looks good.Thats one thing bad about the south. No winter so no down time to put stuff up for yearly maintenance.
to be honest I enjoy the change of pace/scenery. thats one thing I missed when I lived in FL, the change of seasons is nothing like up here, here the change is pretty drastic. If we didnt have the winter to this kind of thing, it probably never would get done., I can t imagine taking this much time to fix up the trailer in the middle of the busy season.
don't cry :cool2 nedley.... be blessed that you are working. i hope you had a happy new year and wish the best for you and family:usa:usa:usa:usa:u
I'm definitely glad to be working, we've been pecking away at the trailer and it should be done this coming week. We got a base coat of POR15 over the whole thing, now just need a second coat and a top coat and the paint is done. the suspension,axles,hubs,drums and wheels are all getting done with rust oleum rusty metal primer and gloss black. Deck boards are ready to go, got all 200 bolts neeeded to hold the deck down yesterday, we are in the home stretch with this project. We are going to cut some pine when we are done just to get ouside for a bit then we are going to get the Mack done, and maybe the cab on the big single axle. We really need some snow, its been a slow winter for snow so far, although it's snowing like an SOB now definetly plowing today!!! A happy and prosperous new year to you and yours also CD!!
the project least favorite project of all time . working on trailers. that is all of mine look like s..... regards. i will get out to snap a few fotos. the weather has been just plain rotten cd :usa:usa:usa:usa
what happened nedley..???? no sightings or postings????
Trailer is finished!!!!!!!!!!!! We finally got the trailer done, it took way longer and cost more than we expected, but the end result is worth it. We are pretty pleased with the way it came out. The deck is covered with a tarp in the pics, but it has all new oak decking ,and in the center in the back by the beaver tail we added a second layer in the center, where the bucket sits. Hopefully that will give that section a little longer life. Other than that, we used sanding disks on 4 1/2" grinders to clean it up, and used POR 15 (2 coats) and used the POR 15 top cote for a finish. All of the running gear, including the rims was done with rust oleum.
Yesterday AM we did a little snow removal, a driveway we picked up this winter has literally no place to put any snow, so we went and cleaned that up, and took a few loads out of the yard while we were at it. It was nice to run a machine for a few minutes! CD, until the trailer was done, I didnt really have anything worth taking pics of LOL, when do you head home?
This is the hole we've been getting our winter sand out of. We dig it out and mix salt into it at the shop. I was planning on snapping a pic of the excavator but the truck showed up and messed up my plans.
nedley, back next w ed. or thursday. leave zurich on tuesday. i have been working on the pics but darn, it is tough. keep at the winter work. my controller dropped the ball and did not send out our jan. draws. which i had worked on every morning before i left. so i am scrambling a bit. europe is expensive and moi petite amor as well.
Trailer looks good. Do you get harassed for loading the truck up like that? I know its pretty light if its not real wet but that a pretty good load.
Thats not good...most of those petite amors are expensive lol! We only had to go about a half mile to dump so I wasnt too worried, I definetly wouldnt go far like that. I bet that load only weighed less that 2 ton. Its really dry, but ya when its wet it can be super heavy.
Thats some big wood there tom, you need a grapple!
You ever regret the name of this thread? The Kodiak is looking good loaded up with snow. :drinkup
Yeah I kinda wish it was "Nedlys photo tour" or something lol I was hoping to use the mack to haul snow but the airline was frozen again, when I tried to take the line off the compressor that goes to the air drier, the elbow broke off and the threads stayed in the compressor, so that truck is out of service for a few days, hoping its fixed early next week depending on the weather. High temps of -2 tomorrow so the mack will stay broken till at least tuesday LOL!
Talk to Digger he might be able to change the name for you. I enjoy your pictures, the trailer looks real nice. Have you been doing any logging this winter?
I like looking at pictures of snow. We are 43 F today so its all brown grass around here. Your trailer looks good Nedly. How does the angle iron hold up on the ramps? I am also guilty of posting in your thread!
I havent loaded on it yet, but I'm hoping it holds up well! EGS, no logging yet but hopefully some time this winter. We've been just busy enough with snow and sanding that we havent been able to get in the woods.
You need to blow leaves off the road for 2 main reasons 1:after a while when the leaves get wet, traction goes out the window. 2: it makes the road more aesthetically pleasing
nedley??? slacking off again?
Nothing to take pics of ole' bud. A bit of plowing I can get some pics of that. We've been getting just enough snow so we are too busy for logging, i have to do some pushbacks and cut some firewood so that will give me some photo ops. I will get pics this week promise!
logging and firewood we just demoed a house and it had a ton of big log beams in it. so we pulled them all out and are now cutting and splitting. i wanted to put a wood burner in the new shop by my mechanic shot that one down. are other storage area has a decent stove so we burn in there. i will get pics of the new operation at the shop.:usa:usa
I got some pics of prepping for the big storm. Its snowing hard right now, we are supposed to get up to 20" in some spots. Both machines are chained up, we topped off the fuel and plugged them in, they are ready to roll if needed. We should be able to get through the storm with the trucks, but I know the loader is going out when its over for push backs!
One more loader pic, and my sled. Picked it up on Friday, mostly a work sled, firewood, and a packhorse for the Maple operation. I'm really happy with it. I'ts an 04 Ski Doo skandic with 1700 miles. It was used by a club to groom trails. Only one problem. I made it 27 miles and the motor seized. The dealer is rebuilding it from the bottom up at there cost, so that makes me happy, cant wait to get it back. I had to take my personal truck to pick it up, it barely fit!
We took a lot of it for you, and still snowing here though. Looks like some nice machines ready for a lot of snow, hope it goes well for you. Was hoping the county would plow the road, so I can be sure to get to town. That hasn't happened, so guess I will see how bad it is out there. I have to plow out the township supt. he is down to one truck They got one stuck so tight last evening that a small dozer couldn't move it. He was real lucky he is stuck right next to a farmer with a big excavator so he will pull him out today, or make the truck longer.
the storm apparently this is quite the storm. all we get here is gale force winds and freezing temps. hope you guys are safe and the storm brings you lot's of white stuff so are busy for many day!:usa:usa:usa
Update, well after plowing for 40 minutes got to the county blacktop. Might be less snow there, but no way am I headed out to town. My lane is 350 feet, town is 3 miles, would take me a week if I could get there. Wind is still blowing the county said no plowing till the wind drops. May have a fellow take me to town on his snowmobile. Hope your day goes better than the start of mine!
It appears to be done snowing here, it's 9* out and calm. We got somewhere around 16" real light fluffy stuff. I hope we dont get the bad winds, we had some wind yesterday, but nothing like out in the mid west.
the storm so i take it the plowing was easy. nice and light. did you end up working all night or what?
You have to register your loader? Hopefully you can still run dye fuel in it. I was pushing back snow in the tractor yesterday. 20-35mph winds for 30 some hours and 50 acres of uninterrupted snow sure makes a mess. Tuesday afternoon going out to my parents house i hit the biggest drift i have ever seen on a road. Couldn't tell how tall it was but the truck went over it instead of through! Normally between the county and the township the roads are black. The city is always a disaster, just to varying degrees.
Long day finally after waiting for a fellow with a JD 544 to clear out for the township supt. and I got started Went ten miles out of my way and had to help chain up a road grader for the township. Drifts in the country had to be dug out as the grader wouldn't go through. Got to the first place and had a flat tire on the skidsteer. Lucky the tire guy is a friend he knows what I do and got it fixed in about twenty minutes. Got all the business's done and home after 22 hours. Slept three and half hours and started plowing again. The county never did plow yesterday on our road, lots of one way spots due to big drifts and one lane. Had to wait ten minutes on the way to town as two people tried to meet in one the first narrow spot ot of town. Nice head on but no one hurt, I guess. Another 15 hours of plowing, oh did a quick lunch break, have a few more to do, but have to use the backhoe. Long lane with no place to push snow, and dig out around some farm buildings Then I get to clean out around my shop. Hope your days went better, and were productive.
I spent yesterday doing push backs and digging out some bad spots. We ended up with 18", but no wind to speak of. I got a few pics along the way. I Took a few at my hardest place, it can be pretty extreme at times there. #1 Pushing back the road through a field, I like to keep it really wide so when the wind blows it doesnt drift full. #2 Bucket Full of snow. #3 Digging out the narrows. #4 Where you'd end up if you get over too far...
A couple more. #1 Nice view #2 Benching with the sidewing.
Nedly, all your pictures have a great views. Thanks for sharing I sure enjoy looking at the country side pictures of where you work.
Nedly, that is picture postcard country you have there, I really like the photo of 'Digging out the narrows', it is a total contrast to the wind and dust we get to work with at this time of the year. Keep the pics coming, like I said to Colorado, we may not say much, but we are looking. RnR.
nice fotos well nedley, i knew you were gonna be busy with that storm. looks great. is that a wing i see on the pickup
Thanks guys! I will get some more pics tommorow it's snowing hard again and we are running out of places to put it. One good thing about a lot of the places I do is I can dump a lot of it over the bank. CD ya that's a wing on my pickup, I know the concept is hard to grasp but it works unbelievably well. Pics tommorow!
Ya I want a better look at that wing too
??? come on nedley i can't even watch the superbowl becuase i am too excited about you're upcoming pics. i did not sleep last night, seeing all that snow had me so wound up i didn't get any shut eye. i may have to see my therapist first thing monday if you don't post anything opcorn opcorn opcorn :usa:usa:usa:usa it is just to much to take, the anxiety!!!!
Sorry CD I went to work at 2 AM so by 7 last night I was in the bunk. I didnt get too many pics, but I did get a few. I will try to get some today, I'm working a short day and flying out for Florida this evening. I will be down there for 10 days, so I wont have any pics to post... I can get my buddy that works with us to send me some down, and I will try to find a way to post them. We are in a winter weather advisory again for today/tonight for 6". Now 6" is even hard to get rid of. the loader goes out every storm. I will be in that today till noon. Who knows, if the weather is bad enough I might end up not making it to FL. Only got 3 yesterday. #1 view at a place we plow. #2 Golf Cart cab on my tractor. (keeps the wind off, but looks goofier than hell) #3 View from the tractor (note the drain pipe for my Colorado Digger Heater)
You have some great scenery to look at when plowing, but you are right the cab doesn't add much to the looks. No wonder you are getting out of town. Can't decide if they are laughing you out of town or after seeing that moving you out of town. Hey if it keeps you warm and dry that is the main thing. Comfort is much better than looks, and it looks like it sure would help. C D will be jealous, and might buy you another day to post the pictures of the pickup truck wing. They make a lot of things for moving snow but some get way to pricey, unless you live where there is a lot of snow every year. Hope you get away to Florida, and have a good time in the sun and warmer weather.
Pics of the wing. OK Guys, I got some pics of the wing this AM, I ended up running that instead of the loader.
In this set, I am trying to force the snow over the bank, it works really well but with this much snow it's strarting to get to be a fight anywhere it doesnt drop off right next to the road.
Sweet wing setup Nedley.
It's getting reall tough in some spots where the banks have gotten so big. I have them back about as far as the HD will get them, we are going to need to go in with the loader and stuff them back. If I had a bigger truck with benching wing I could get them a lot better. I have my eye on a couple single axles reasonably priced plow trucks that are in nice shape It would be handy for us to be able to get the banks back without working a pickup to death. Then when we are sanding we can take a load and do a bunch of driveways on one load as opposed to going all the way back to the shop with the one ton 3 times. As you can see, the banks are really high and thick. they don't go back much anymore. I followed my cousin down the road pushing back on the roads he does for the town. I wanted to see how far out his wing sticks to get an idea if it would fit on my roads but he had his wing arms pinned out so the wing was sticking out much further than normal. I think it would fit otherwise.
Thanks!!!
nice :usa:usa:usalooks like you earned the vacation bud! have a safe trip.
I have never seen a setup like that before on a pickup. It looks pretty sweet.
Looks good Nedly, enjoy your vacation. Sure beats trying to do that with the front plow and going over the edge, and being stuck. Snowplowing forums had some pictures of those and many others kind of plows.
I this might be a dumb question, in fact it probably is and i should be quiet now, but why not set up the Kodiak for plowing? I think a patrol wing would work fine. They can bench 2-3' up and 5-7' back. They can be hung off the front of a Kodiak no problem. A township near me uses a 4x4 with a patrol wing to deal with the worst(steep, winding, narrow) of the tertiary roads. Out here the only thing that gets a benching wing is the graders for the Snowpocalypse storm we get every couple decades, so maybe a patrol wing won't work for you. The Kodiak wouldn't increase your sander capacity much. Some pics for motivation. (not mine) Then again, Workstar plow rigs look mean.
Thanks 1ton, I had been looking for pics of a 5500 set up like that, I think it would work awesome but it might be cost prohibitive. I bet it would be scary to hear what it cost to set that up. It sure is perdy' though. Any more pics?
Thanks bud. it seems weird to be sitting on the couch at 7:30! I will try to get some pics down here!!!!
I blew threw my stash of 5500's with wings, they are really hard to find. I've found at least 2:1 F550's with wings. Don't know the cost, but the townships Kodiak is setup with Tenco plow and wing. I'm pretty sure this is what they are using. http://www.tenco.ca/download/pdf/5_1287778157_Husky-E.pdf I not sure if the hitch they use is quick disconnect or they take it apart every spring. So you don't forget what snow looks like. My county needs one of these with a Henke folding V plow and wing. Then they might be able to keep the Clinton Dam open when the lake is frozen.
Would you mind posting some F550s?
So, either i'm making stuff up or I've misplaced more folders. I thought i had pics of 2 green ones and a red one, oh well. In looking for pics of 550's with wings i found a couple more Kodiaks. Go figure. I think this one has Viking-Cives equipment. Don't know anything about this one except it was put together by Seigworth Road Supply. This might be an F350. It would be easier to tell if the pic was bigger. :bash Borrowed (stole) this one from Dirt Digger to alleviate my lack of pics. He used to drive it, so he will know more than me.
Sweet thanks!
Nedly05, How does the Jd 110 compare to the kobelco? I have looked at the 8 ton to utility 12 ton like the 110. They are almost easier to find for a lower price than an 8 ton machine. Great pictures by the way. Love the set up. Minus the backhoe haha I'm not a backhoe man
????? nedley, you are not tracking around florida to take fotos for all of us waiting for an update?? regards, cd hope you are enjoying your vacation.
the 110 is quite a bit bigger than the 70, they arent really in the same class. I dont like backhoes either, but we'd be lost without it. There's nothing much going on down here cd,we go by one job regularly but Theres a big fence around it and you can't see in! We leave tommorow so back at it on Thursday with pics by friday I hope!
Photo Update!!! Well I did run across one job in FL, (on the way to the airport lol) I was able to get pics of, it was the county pulling ditches. Didnt see a lot of construction this trip in FL, way less than normal.
Took a little road trip to VT. So I found a nice older plow truck with a plow, wing and sander for decent money over in VT. Well, needless to say it's now sitting in our yard paitiently awaiting its chance to prove itself. Its in really nice shape for the year, it has some surface rust on the box and frame, and the inside of the box will need a little TLC, but nothing that will keep it from working. Its a 1994 International 2574 with an 300 HP L10 cummins, JAKE . 9 spd, 12' front plow, 11 wing. 9' box with a tailgate sander. The box is a little short, but it will work just fine. Most likely when I use it for winging back I wont have the front plow on for maneuverability reasons. I cant wait to try it out.
Trying to post some pics, but not having any luck... there ya go! I will try to get some better ones later, but for now those will have to do!
Here are a few from this AM, getting the front plow unloaded and my new high effiency plow machine LOL, I didnt take the time to get any of the truck, it was snowing too hard and I had to go plow
buying binge?? Nedley??? things most be going all right up youre way. first you get a track hoe and now another plow truck. good for you buddy. i am writing this from my hotel looking over the sea of cortez. about 85-90 degrees. may go fishing for some dorado. last night we had about a 6 kilogram jurel. regards, cd:usa:usa:usa
Darn Nedley nice looking truck, and will probably be paid for when the snow season is over. Looks like it was dumping pretty good while unloading and getting ready to plow. Hope it works out for you!
I guess things are going alright!, have fun on your vacation, how long you gone for? It snowed like an SOB for a couple hours, got about 4" and the wind is blowing hard. I hope to get the truck on the road the first part of the week and give it a test run! Thanks!
How is the new plow truck working out? Pictrues of it winging back the last snow would be great. Mostly I like the purty country where you live and work. We got thunder and lightning and little rain last evening. Now supposed to get snow ths evening, and again on Sunday so will try to share it with you.
Some more random pics. Did a job and this was the quickest way home. The pont takes one vehicle at a time.
Nedly's Thread Title strikes again! Time for a renaming. :lmao
Umm digger, can you rename this thread please ? LOL!
I have some pics for tommorrow AM. We got a foot yesterday and suppose to get 2-4 tonight. Didn't get the international on the road yet but I could really use it right about now. Hopefully Monday although its supposed to rain and be 45. Should be a nice mess. Local weather men ar saying it could be the snowiest February on record. A lot of guys are getting sick of plowing...
I can defiantly agree with that!
We have been just getting little messy snows, we are one inch away from the record amount for Feburary. It has been trying to snow all day, my pickup truck is down. The fuel pump quit, so pulled that to the repair shop. I plow most of the time with the skidsteer, anyway. So much faster.
plowing snow hey nedley, i personally love moving snow. it is easy on the iron, no one out at night early am. but all of my accts are real close to my shop. for that, it makes it enjoyable. i love running the loader or skiddie. we use a s300 with a 2 speed, stereo and stupid big snow bucket.. it is getting you through the winter and hopefully it pays for the international. this way you won't be hurting in the spring after a long winter of doing nothing. glad to see you are busy,, you must need another vacation!!! regards, cd :usa:usa
I always considered snow removal with heavy equipment to be pretty good duty,it is easy on the equipment,dust free and if you don't have to run stuff with no cab it is pretty comfortable.That is assuming that you have a heater ) I plowed one winter in a loader with no heater and often had to run with the door/windows open to see out because my breath was icing the inside of the windows.I had to use an ice scraper to clear the windows on the inside. My boss was too cheap to buy a heater motor so I went to the bone yard and bought a 12v motor,turned a shaft for the squirrel cage fan on my lathe,drilled and tapped it for a setscrew to fit the shaft on my Falcon heater motor that I bought and voila,I had heat.I did have to wire it directly to one battery to get my twelve volts but it worked fine,for several years in fact until elcheapo bought the correct motor and I got to bring mine home as a souvenir. The plow trucks are a different story however,plowing just beats them up and the salt eats them up. The only downside for me is the hours.As I got older I came to despise working all night,sometimes days at a time with no rest. Dang,I hated waiting for that phone call in the middle of the night.Ron G
Some snow pics. Here are a few pics from Friday. I had to go open up this driveway,a contractor we work with frequently stopped at the shop and said he couldn't make it in and he needed it opened. the next day I went up with the loader and punched a hole down through. I had to back up with a lot of it and dump it over the bank where the road was wider and there was no guard rail. Once I got a hole down through I cleaned up the parking area and Dad widened the road by carrying the snow down with his V in scoop mode, he'd push it right in to the bucket and I'd go dump it over the bank. I also snapped a quick shot of the view, and a young deer that came to see what we were doing!
Nice pictures nedly, no very nice pictures. Looks like no place to go with the snow, oh for a snow blower. It seems there is always something that would be nice to have, to do a job. I really like my 10' V plow on my skidsteer, put some Winter carbide wear bars on two days ago. The ends where wearing down fast, and this should make them last a long time. I had just turned them so it was a perfect time to install them. Most of our accounts are real close and many you have to go between cars and back drag to get the snow out. We have some condo's that I can plow in and turn around in the drive and plow back out. I can do 2.5 drives to the other guys 1 with a truck.
We have a blower on the 65HP tractor but that pile in the beginning was frozen completely solid. It was pushed up when it was warm out, so when I got it loose it was one big chunk. I knew I could break it with the loader, but I was scared it might break the tractor, so I opted to take the loader up, took a little longer but I got er' dun!
nedely buddy, i can't believe you guys are getting that much snow. keep at it, don't get stuck. what size is that loader a 444deere>?? you should really buy a bullblow for it. i bet you wouldn't get out if you had one. regards, cd
The loader is a 444H. What would it cost for a bulplow and coupler?
hey bud, does the loader have a 3rd valve?you can get by without a coupler but i find it real handy. especially if you need to load trucks and tram the snow around. the other bonus of a bullplow is that you can cut pack. i don't know what that loader weighs but you could probably hang a 9 footer on her. mine is 11'6" a bit heavy but well worth it. i think a paid 5-6 k for my plow. i am sure you could get one for 3-4k . a coupler may be 2k. i think atco would have the anwser on that one, regards. cd
I dont think we could take much more than 9 foot into some places with the loader. It doesnt have a third valve but I would probably just add an electric selector valve. What brand is yours?
What kind of coupler do you have on the 444? All of the blades that we have on the loaders and tractors are just like the ones the county trucks run. Most of them were bought new but you can find used ones for a deal if you look around. If you find a blade that is too wide or too narrow you can add some or cut a little off, if you need to.
When I bought my 544J (used) I had the dealer add a coupler to the deal. It was the one thing that the machine did not have that I felt I had to have. They sold me a brand new Worksite Pro (Deere product) coupler with a third valve. I had to do the install (I still have not done it yet...and it's been over a year) so they just sold me the parts. The cost to me was $6k. That includes the coupler, all the hydraulics, all hardware/fasteners, and the blanks to weld on the bucket. I think that this cost was low. I know that they did not include all the parts on the first go'round. When I went to pick it all up I checked out the instructions. I found that they had left out 2-3 kits that were required to complete the job. They had to buy them as I said that we had already made the deal @ $6k. I think that the salesman missed some stuff when he put the quote together. This coupler is the same as the JRB model 416 coupler. If you get lucky you may be able to find one used. I would say, based on my experience listed above, that you can expext to pay around $7,000.00 for a new one. Plus the installation.
bullplow pics here is my snowplow for my loader. it does not trip. it is all rigid. clipping a manhole cover or curb is no fun. but you sure can push back and cut pack. regards, cd :usa:usa
Man thats a rugged looking set up, it looks like a dozer blade! the 444 doesnt have a coupler. I would most likely try to find a 4 way plow that could be run on the international or the loader. With the cost to add the coupler now, I would most likely try to build some push plates that mount in the bucket. That way if I was out plowing and I had to pick up some snow I could just drop the plow and use the bucket.
nedley.. what's going on bud? the plow on the loader is a beast.. too bad it has been such a crappy snos year. i mean pathetic! i have spent more money working on my snow gear than i care to tell. chaining up.. chaining down. cutting edges.. plow wings..sanders..transmissions.. i wish we could have had a better year, but once march hits it seems to really mellow out down in the valley floor.
We've just been plugging away, not much happening when it doesnt snow. I brought the international over to the guy who does our truck work/ inspections etc, and I havent heard back from him. It's making me nervous, hopefully he's just been busy. I wasnt able to get it on the road yet because of an error on the bill of sale, so I had to call the company I bought it from and have them get me out a new one. I dont have it yet, hopefully soon because the insurance company is getting antsy with me not having it registered. My truck is down with a blown brake line, its going to the shop on Monday, but we are supposed to get 2" of rain tomorrow turning to snow then 8-12" of snow sunday night into monday.So that sucks, I may have to see what I can do to get it up and running this weekend so we arent stuck with one truck. Anyways, with the pending weather situation I decided to get some snow out of the yard yesterday, so I snapped a couple quick pics for you guys, nothing too exciting.but some pics anyways!
I thought maybe you were out in the new truck and going to give us some action shots. Sorry about all the truck troubles, seems there is always something. We all seem to have troubles, at times. My pickup truck that I use to plow with wouldn't start. The mechanic had to put a new fuel pump, of course the tank is full. It ran then for a few seconds then stopped. He finally found a wire that was bad, that was causing low voltage to the fuel pump. Is this your normal amount of snow or you getting above the normal amounts, also? Just looks like you have had a lot this year. I am hoping ours is about over I am ready for warmer weather and getting some jobs done when the ground settles up.
Well, you got pretty dogs.
I didnt get too many pics of our latest snow even, but we ended up with 2' +/-. It started as all rain, and rained hard for a long time, enough to get the water running and the rivers up. the ice went out and cause jams, and that along with the rain made the main roads get flooded in several places. then it turned to all snow, it went from pouring rain, to a blizzard and the roads were whit in minutes, litterally. I had to un plug a culvert right after it turned to snow, an ice jam had plugged it and the water in the creek had jumped its banks and was running right down a guys driveway. that was an interesting job! Heres a few pics, nothing too special. the third one is supposed to be second, thats after the ice jam let go. the second is a section of state road that flooded when a culvert plugged up.
And some loader pics, I ran the loader a quite a bit since sunday!
You seem to be in the path of every snow storm this year. Great pictures, like to see the all the trees and the nice little creek. You have had a busy snow season, or is this about normal? Hate those rain then snow messy ones to clean up. I had to take my hoe and open an equalizer tube last week that was plugged and water flowing over the road. It was a pure luck, but the first bucket through the ice and four feet of water. Did a great job flushing out the tube with all the water pressure.
This year has been a heavy snow year, people are getting sick of the plow bills... it was wild when that jam let go, oncdbit broke the whole creek openEd up as far as you could see in about a minute and a half!
Sounds like we've got lots to look forward to in the coming weeks Nedly.
We got 6 inches yesterday then it turned to rain as the temp rose. Now it's raining windy and 40 out. We'll be lucky if the town doesn't go down the river!
Our ice went out a couple weeks ago, with only minor flooding, hope yours does the same. Warmer weather here next week with rain, hope it settles the ground. Enough of this winter stuff, ready to switch from snow to dirt work.
Hi Nedly, Just read the hole thread! A great read and nice to see so many photo's. We have had a lot of snow this year, can't wait for spring. Going to be warm this week. I have been keeping myself busy painting and repairing when I am not plowing.
Thank you! I bet that new mack has been hauling some snow huh? Man I am so ready for dirt work, I love the winter and I am glad we've had a good one, but enough is enough lol!
I will try to bring you better weather, not that we have much to spare. Headed to Albany area tomorrow morning have an excavator to look at Monday morning. I hope it is what the dealer said it is, as it is about a 1000 miles each way.
What's the dealer ?
I am afraid I didn't do to good on bringing you good weather Nedly, as it was snowing when I left. I will try to send you some though as we may hit 70 tomorrow they are saying. The dealer is Park East in Troy, has lots of equipment. I bought the excavator a 2004 CX 130 Case with blade and hyd. thumb 1834 hours. Hope it is ok had on dented panel and the front window weatherstrip is bad not letting the window close tight. Guess will see what happens, he bought it off a contractor along with a few other machines that needed money he said. Didn't get to see a lot of anything other than scenery along the highway, was an enjoyable drive except the big cities. I like looking over the country side and seeing the sights. Would of liked hit the back roads but can't make much time doing that. I drove a total of 2150 miles in two days, even made it to VT to find a motel on Sunday night. Those winding roads at night with it trying to rain aren't much fun. May have to come back just to see it in the daylight as I bet it would be much prettier. Hope you get some better weather soon, I tried.
Its seems like you might have brought us somedecent weather, 40 and sunny today! Congrats on the new machine, I think I saw it on their web site.
Thanks Nedly, I am hoping it is ok, hope to get it home soon so I can check it over and change the fluids. Then start tearing down a one story house and after that a two story house that is only a couple blocks away. Glad the warmer weather got there, I sure am ready for some warm weather. Will gladly share it with you, also.
In the spring we always end up fixing up some roads, this wast the first for this year. Had to bust into some gravel and break up some frost chunks, it's been pretty cold here again, next week is supposed to be nicer.Hopefullly
dirt work and dirt plowing i like the technique with the snow plow nedley! glad to see you guy's are gearing up. time to put the 110 to work eh? regards, cd
Yeah, I cant wait to run the 110, really looking forward to that. That technique is one my Father has perfected over years of fixing roads in the winter and spring. the V plow works well with the trip edge, full trip plows tend to fold over when you try to take a big blade. You put that baby in scoop and you can carry gravel a long ways!
Darn, I just got my excavator and heck I see I don't need the blade, I could of used my snow plow. Cold here to Nedly just can't seem to warm up and stay that way, as of yet. The trucker said he drove through some pretty heavy snow falls getting out of New York. Hope it stayed south of you, sure made my excavator look like a salty mess. Hope it rains and washes it off. I hauled buckets of water and got some off, got the cab cleaned up. Amazing how some people can work in such a mess is beyond me. CD did you get the hitch put on your other truck, yet? Funny the darn things never break when they are just sitting there, always when you need it.
We've had some snow recently but nothing to serious, some pretty intense squalls, thankfully they arent long lasting.
nedley hey bud, i hope you get off to a great start and stay busy all year so you can use all of your machines. that thumb sure look long on the 110, how many hours does that baby have? dirty- no the hitch is not on my t6. and ps. wash off your new hoe a.s.a.p. if you have a bunch of salt and bull..t on it from a long move make sure you start out fresh by keeping it clean. hope every body has a good day. regards, cd
The 110 thumb is long, it will hit the cab. It has like 5300 hrs or somewhere there abouts.
Nedly, you getting hit with more snow, it looked like Mother Nature was sharing again out your way. Been a long wet winter for you, it seems.
Yup, 4-8 in the villiage and 8-14 in the hills. Roads are soft and the snow is supposed to be wet. Good times!
I washed my snow plow and it looked like I was leveling a lot of gravel the last snow. The first snow and the last around here are usually the worse, the driveways and parking lots are soft and make for a miserable time moving wet snow. Will try to send you some sunshine and warmer weather, not that we have had much warm weather. Dry and sunny so that helps. Let the good times roll and the sod and the rocks, also!
Yeah we can't change it so we might as well enjoy it right? As of now it looks like it's tracking more towards the sea so we may get less. Time will tell!
It went out to further east, winter storm warning cancelled for this area. I knew if I put my plow on it wouldnt snow!
I hate trying to put the plow on in the middle of the night, nothing seems to go right or as fast as I want it to. This time of the year I am always happy when I am ready and the snow is a no show.
well nedley,, i got a call out the other day, so now it is your turn. whats going on out there. ?? working on the syrup operation?? anything.. something... just a lil' update bud regards, cd
We are still making syrup, going up toboil in a few minutes actualy. Work is coming in now,a couple good ones so far and a bunch of little stuff, problem is the ground is still too wet to go anything without making a giant mess. I'll get pics up of the sugar operation, I've got a little project going at my house I'll snap some of that too! Thanks!
Here are a few random pics of the inside operation at the sugar house. I didnt get to the woods yesterday or I would have gotten some pics of the tubing system. #1 is the evaporator before we were boiling. #2 is the filter press, we were drawing syrup off the rig, running it through the press right into the barell. I love packaging that way! #3 is finished syrup coming off the rig. #4 is the tanks, the bottom tank is where the sap comes in. We have a vaccuum system and that is where it dumps. We have another tank we bring in during good sap runs. The top tank is the "feed tank" it gravity feeds the evaporator through a float and gives a constant flow of sap into the back pan. #5 is the "automatic draw off" We determine the temperature that syrup will be done for the day before we start. The green number is the temp that its done (when it draws) the top red number is the temperature of the pan.This pic was taken right after we fired up so it still had a ways to go to get up to temp. Once it gets close to the green temp for the first time, I check it a few times to make sure its going to be accurate, after its set you just wait for it to draw. Its pretty slick. We just got the auto draw-off this year, so I'm not totally comfortable with it yet, but I'm getting there.
This is what happens in the sugar house after a low pressure system moves in. It got pretty bad in there yesterday, at times you couldnt see at all.
This is what it looks like in there during normal weather.
The outside of the sugar house, and a pic of the international (so theres some heavy equipment involved lol)
Nedly, You have quite the nice looking setup there, darn no wonder you haven't been posting much. Looks like your time is taken by the harvest. How many gallons you going to do this year? You tapping Maple trees or some other kind of trees? Nothing better on a stack of pancakes, waffles, or french toast. Thanks for sharing the pictures, looks like you are making your own clouds. Very interesting!
We are at 202 for the season, but this week looks like we stand to make a few more gallons. We are a small producer for this area. We have 725 taps (all maple) and hope to be at 1000 +/- next season.
Interesting I know a lot of people that make all kinds of stuff some legal some not, but I have never see the equipment to make syrup. Is there a lot of work to be done through out the year like tree trimming ETC or is it just a seasonal thing?
Here is my take on it. Pretty sure it is a spring when the sap starts to run you drill a hole into the tree and catch the sap. Either in buckets or into plastic lines going to a central collection point. Then you boil it down. Nedly will share I bet how he does it, and how much sap it take to make a gallon of syrup. it seems like it take 30 to 40 gallons to make one gallon. I just know the real syrup, is the best without a doubt.
looks good nedley, what else do you make up there? any corn grown in your area, apples? agave? thanks for the pics.
Corn and apples are big crops around this area, no agave though. You pretty much got it there dirty. We use all lines, no more buckets. In our new operation all of the sap comes right to the sugar house, we dont have to travel to gather it, which is really nice. 30-40 gallons of sap is pretty close, closer to 40. It depends on the sugar content of your sap. You cant beat real syrup!
All this talk about maple syrup and a stack of pancakes, waffles, or french toast has made me hungry! Words like food-safe and bio-terrorism have made things very complicated up here for producers of all kinds. Hopefully we can still have operations like yours continue to be successful. Keep making syrup. Its the best!
Well, we wrapped up sugaring for this season as we are starting to get quite a bit of dirt work. We're all done now except for the clean up. I moved the 110 out to a job yesterday. We should start taking down trees at the site next week! I'm a little sketched out by the wain-roy coupler. the bucket fell off in the pit when the retainer pin bent. Theres a bolt in it now, but it makes me nervous that it could fall off and hurt someone. I'm thinking of taking it right off and swapping with the 490 bucket. Whats the best way to fix this?
I don't blame you for wnting change something, you don't want to loose you bucket at the wrong time. Not that there is a good time, usually things like that happen at just the wrong time. How many gallons of syrup did you harvest this year? Do you use the same trees every year and leave the taps in the tree? I am waiting to tear down the next house, we seem to be in the rain and showers everyday time. I could tear it down but have to haul it away and can't get to the place I need to dump and burn. One day of better weather then three days of rain, no one is getting much done here. Have a good Easter!
We ended up with 215 gallons this year. Last year we only did 136 with just a few less taps so we are happy. We will start pulling taps later on Today, we leave teh vacuum system on and pop the spot out of the tree, we dip the spout in a water jug for just a second and move on to the next one, this flushes the lines out for the season. We use the same trees every year, just tap in a differnt spot.
Never lost a bucket off a wain-roy before, but we changed buckets often enough that you could see the pin was bending and replace it.
I'm going to keep a close eye on it and have some extra pins right in the machine.
Hello Nedly. The thumb on your 110 is quite long. It seems like it would help with the range that you can grab. I had an idea of making an extension for my thumb, one I could bolt on for a specific job. Just thinking..... What is the length of your thumb? Do you like it that way?
I would say its probably 4' long or so. It seems to have a lot of rotation for a stick mount thumb. Cats progressive linkage thumbs are built so the ends can be changed.
Lot clearing job. We are on a clearing job for a house that is going to be moved about 200' Mostly white pine, a few hardwoods but not many. 1. Carrying some logs to the pile. 2. Stump from "the big one". 3. The big one standing. 4. Limbing the big one. The big one was decent size on the stump at 34" but there were only 5 12' logs in the tree. Not sure if we'll be able to work there today after last nights rain. All of the trees are down on the new site, just have to rake it off with the grapple and put the junk with the stumps. I still have a few trees to take down around the house where it sits so it can be moved.
Did you fall the big one with the chainsaw or dig and push with the excavator?
Nedly, Looks like another great place to be working, and a nice job, also. I am betting he dug around the tree and pushed it over with the excavator. The thumb and bucket are over the root ball, if he took the picture after the tree went down, that would be about right.
Yeah I pushed it over, more fun to hand fall but it sucks to dig the stumps out!
Some updates and pics. On april 28th we got a really big rain storm, that coupled with the melting snow caused a ton of driveways to wash out. Driveways around here can be upwards of a mile long, so needless to say we have been doing a lot of storm work. We are the busiest we have been in the spring in the last 10 years. We had a lot of work lined up before the storm, we have finally started doing site work for a couple new houses.
The picture of the road is the one we were working on last winter. We got the road into the site, but when we started clearing the site the whole place turned to mud. It has been raining so much here that the ground is just saturated. We were falling trees with the excavator, and there was water laying under the stump. The mud was half way up the tracks, and lots of stone. We finally gave up on it around 3 yesterday afternoon. The pic with the 110 is the nicest dig I've ever been on, all sand the biggest rock was about 18" across. I took that goofy wain-roy coupler off and put the esco bucket from the 490 on. Its a lot nicer that way.
Thanks for the pictues of your work, and just got to love the countryside. I get to looking at the trees and back ground and have to go back to see what you were doing. Guess that fixxed the Wain Roy from letting the bucket come off. Good looking road job, the repairs look like it would be just about like starting over from the beginning. Keep sharing as I sure enjoy seeing what you have been working on. All that snow you had all winter stick around till late, then a fast warm up make it melt faster than normal? Then some big rains, too. We were dry had a storm go through last week, got 2-3 inches of rain and just had another one an hour ago. Water standing everywhere, again.
It seems like it rains every day. The snow left earlier in town, but it hung in there in the mountains. The warmer weather definetly gets it melting, especially if its windy. It can be a beautiful sunny day, but the river will be high from the melt run off in the back country. I will try to get back on track with posting pics. We've been on such a tear that I forget, or dont take the time to take any!
What is the material that is on the road in your last picture? Looks like a very nice way to finish it off. Good job. I was wondering where everyone had gotten to. Showtime has been quiet!
The material on the road is Item 4, its a great product. It's really coarse so it's usually just put down for base. There is a foot of it on top of fabric so it should never be an issue. I was backing in there grossing up to 60,000 and hardly put a mark in it. Before I left I backbladed it and tracked it in so it looked nice for the picture!
Nice road work. The rain has finally stopped this week, maybe I can catch up on the dirt work. Nice photo's, I enjoy checking in every couple of weeks.
Hows it going out your way? Hows that new Mack working out?
Not a bad spring, very wet but had enough work. The new Mack is a big improvement from the 89' much nicer to drive. I still have the 89 and use it once in a while but only if I have to. Looks like you have been busy.
Good to hear the new truck is working out. Do you have an overweight permit on it?
Yes, permit application was downloaded on line. Then i faxed it in. My wheelbase was the limiting factor, truck axles are good for 84,000 but wheelbase was good for 70,000 so that is what I have the permit for, cost $360 I think and was emailed to my the same day. Very simple process. I am good for 20 ton, thats the weight I was shooting for. The truck works less and is easier to drive with 20 ton on it than the 1989 is with 15 ton on it.
I got the forms online and mailed them in. They gave me 64k which is what my axles add up to, but I have to be careful to not haul much more than 60k or I'm over on the rears. I like to be 59k I'm legal with that, it's about 18 ton which isn't a bad load.
18 ton on a 10 wheeler is nice, that works. I bet the truck feels safe and stable with it on it also. I noticed a big difference in brakes on the new truck with the tag and just bigger brakes in general. That makes the day go by easy when you don't have to be on your toes so much. Gets going faster and stops faster!
It handles 18 ton nicely, it also pulls the trailer a lot better than the single axle. I'm very happy with the maneuveability too, I can sneak into some really tight spots. Like you said, big brakes stop better!
Don't forget we need our weekly dose of beautiful countryside pictures, and some more of your work, Nedly.
I will get some pics this week, there should be some good photo ops! I'm headed out to cut trees in a few minutes, but it's looking like rain, I might be getting wet!
So Sunday AM I went to cut some trees for a bit, and I managed to dodge the rain. Here's a few pics, nothing spectacular. I should be able to get some better ones this week.
My old buddy and the log pile. She has to stay in the truck most of the time now, she hurt both knees last winter. We are hoping she can re-hab naturally without surgery, but we have to bring her back to the vet soon to see what they think.
Hope your buddy heals and can get out to help real soon. I lost my buddy a few years ago, he went just about everywhere with me. Loved to ride along I think he liked the backhoe best. He could keep track of things better as he could see out the front and turn around and watch it going away. Miss him a lot, was great company.
Nice little log pile there. That's too bad about the lab. Mine had to were a cast for a while after a horse stepped on his foot. Funniest noise ever hearing him clunk along. The younger one just hopped in the tractor one day while i was starting it up. It takes some maneuvering to make him fit anymore. He normally gets bored and takes a nap at some point. He is the dog equivalent to my little brother.
nedley? any updates on the work situation out there. been missing your posts and fotos regards, cd
We are pretty busy, and I keep forgetting to take pics. I took a bunch of pics on a basement job that we did but they are too large to upload and I dont have a resizer. I will have to take some cell phone pics. We are backfilling one today, and tomorrow I am starting the clearing for another that is being moved away from a landslide before it falls off the mountain. Hows everything out in CO?
Here are a few. Electric line dig started. Big rock, this whole dig was nothing but big rocks and mud. by the time we got down to grade, between the muck and rocks, there wasnt anything left suitable for backfill. Nice view at the end of a driveway we resurfaced.
Got any more pics of the Treefarmer?
I can hear you, oh lookie what I have found another rock and even bigger than the others! You getting some rain there? I guess it quit snowing there finally. Nice pictures, of some pretty country. Thanks once again fro sharing!
I will have to take some pics of the skidder, I dont have any pics of it on this comp. Dont use it much anymore really. It was brutal with the rocks on that job. I would be digging on one and end up digging out 6 more just to get the one out. It has been a wet year, but we have had nice weather for a stretch now finally! I will try to get some pics of a clearing job we are starting today.
The teeth on the 110 sure got shined up after playing in the rock. If you have Office, the picture manager does a good job of resizing and renaming pics in batches.
I have a mac. I'm pretty sure it has a resizer on it but I don't have time to fool with it. I'm pretty sure the camera has different settings for size too.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=294 This is the method I use to resize my pics. It is fast and easy to use.
I finally got back into photo mode a couple days ago. This set is of a new house being added on to an old house that got moved across the property. The house is nearly 200 years old, I guess it was moved to the property years ago from the village, and now it has been moved 300 feet to a new foundation. I like jobs like this, outside the box a little bit. We had to dig a ramp down into the basement excavation so the house mover could put it in place, it couldnt be any more that 1/10 so it was pretty long.
Check out the floor joists and the fireplace footing Also the house movers Cat. Im not sure what model it is, but I think its a 953. I know his other one a 951. More pics today hopefullu, we are on a new clearing job.
Thanks EGS! 09 is almost exactly the same exact theres no option for custom sizing
Does my heart good to see the old building being saved, if at all possible. It took some real craftsmen to build a house then. Making their own beams and and joist and then mortising them into the main beam. More great pictures, glad you are back in the picture taking mode.
Here are some pics of the clearing project we are doing, this is another house moving job except this one is being moved due to slope failure. The original foundation is partially undermined as the bank behind the house dropped 15 feet.
A few more from the same job,(plenty of firewood!) and a link to an article written about the house, and slope failure. (check out the video) http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Moving-day-for-a-house-in-peril-1422689.php
Another good looking job, I bet you find a few big old rocks when you dig the basement. It looks like it is a nice dry work area, in some pretty country.
Wow...long thread, finally got to the end. Nice work, pics, and equipment Nedly. "The slide is also now threatening to block a nearby creek, which could trap water and create a flash flood risk." Hmmm....another job maybe?
Thanks! I have a bunch more pics of work this season but I cant get them to upload. As far as a flash flood risk, im not sure what creek they are talking about, there is one or two creeks that run down the affected area, but the one that one that would be really bad is the river that runs through town. I'm not sure how likely it would be to reach the river if it "let go" but if it did, it could create some problems.
fotos?? nedley buddy! where are the fotos pal? i can't believe a young whipper snapper like you can't figure it out. how is the summer going, i take it you are plenty busy. it seems like i have work and 8 guys on payroll but am not seeing any profit. it may be like this for a while given the economic situation. does the recession still have a good hold on things up there? i would have thought that by now with all the tarp money that went out that there would be some massive infrastructure projects going on.. but i don't get around the u.s.a much so who knows. it is real slow here regards, cd :usa
We are pretty busy, more foundation excavation this year than for several years past. It seems to be fairly good for everyone around us right now, we needed it, the last few years were really poor. I need to spend some time trying to figure out the pics, or just keep using my phone.
Here is a very nice free viewer that I have been using for years that has resizing capabilities. Or, you could set your camera to 640X480 and be done with it but it's nice to have larger pics to keep for yourself. http://www.irfanview.com/
Thank You! I have my camera set to the lowest setting now, hopefully that will work.
Here are a few pics of a little driveway project we did, they like the brush hanging in in the pic with the dump truck (I'd trim it back if it were mine). We put in a row of stones and raised up the grade in the turn around area, and graveled the driveway.
Yesterday we dug frost walls on the land slide job, then moved up the mountain with the loader to assist with a concrete pour. The road is steep and narrow with switchbacks, so the concrete contractor asked if we could come up with the loader in case they had any issues. Everything went fine so I snapped a couple pics while I waited.
And one from the tractor pull last weekend!!
Some more nice looking work, Nedly. Looks like a lot of forming for all the little pads. Bet the concrete guy was glad the pump truck was able to get there. As always more beautiful country for the back drop in your pictures. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!
looking good!! nice work buddy, glad to see you are busy. everything going well this summer? how about the bugs up there? mosquitos, horseflies, gnats, noseeums?? what machine to you guys run the most? what are the elevations in those parts?? regards, cd :usa:usa
We are having a really good season, best in years. We have been using all 3 excavators but the 110 has been the busiest. Most of our work is in the 800-2500' elevation. Horse flies, black flies and mosquitoes are the worst, some places are worse than others.
still waiting still waiting on an update buddy. regards, cd
I just typed out a whole long response on my phone and lost it when I tried to post it. It's been a super busy year for us, it all started in April with the flood, that put us 2 months behind before we ever really got started. New starts are on the up and up around here, so we've done quite a bit of site work which has been nice. The 110 has been pretty busy, she got a new undercarriage and fuel system so she feels like a kid again lol. Hurricane Irene was really hard on our area, a lot of homes were destroyed our badly damaged. We demolished a few buildings that were total losses. Our Fire Station went down the river, luckily all of the equipment was out so we didnt lose too much. I have a bunch of pics, but Ive been through two phones in the last month so I need to sit down and get those all organized. I'm not sure if I can post pics from my new phone but I will try because it would be pretty cool if I could. Thanks for the interest! Hope everyone is doing well!
Nedly, Good to see you are still kicking. Have missed your posts hope you can get the pictures to load to the website, I always look forward to seeing them. Hope you have a good long fall and a late winter, so you can get most of your work done.
I'm still kicking alright! I have been uploading some videos to you tube as I can do it with my new phone. You can check them out at www.youtube.com/nedly05 . I'm going to try and post a pic from my phone right now.
Thanks for the update Nedly, it's been a while (tapping foot) :tong I would have to do that job with my legs crossed or carry a bottle with me
Great videos from your phone, hard to believe what a phone can capture, with sound, too. A little pan of the beautiful country you are working in would just be a bonus. Thanks for sharing!
More videos today!
Nice equipment and videos!
Thanks!
nice work buddy! glad to see you have returned. regards,cd
I'm still here! I think I have solved the picture mystery so I am going to try to post a few from yesterday, if it works I will start taking pics regulalry again.thanks for the interest and support fellas!
So I figured out that if I email the pics to myself, I can resize them. I guess the program the downloads go into has a resizer, but the photo program doesnt?? Oh well, I can post em anyways!
I knew you could do it, and we all get the benefit, of more great pictures. Pretty good sized rock that Deere has, hope you weren't planning on using that shovel to much in that kind of soil.
The shovel is just to clean up the ditch before we lay the pipe, and to bed it before we backfill.I got some pictures today,I will post them in the morning. Thanks!
Here are a few pics of the finished slope failiure job. I tried not to damage any trees, but its hard to set stones around them and not do some damage. The marks you see on the hemlock tree are from the lifting ring on my bucket. Dirty: I was looking for a place to get some nice scenery pics for you but It was kind of a gloomy day. If the oppurtunity arrises today I will get some, it's snowing right now (not too hard though)
I almost forgot the one of the equipment! Looks like the loader needs a wax job, its pretty faded compared to the 110, and its 2 years newer.
Thanks for the pics Nedly. Is this location down the hill from where you had to move the house? When I'm typing a long response I do a Control-A Control-C when I'm finished typing which selects and copies the text in case something happens. If it is lost Control-V will paste it back so I can try again.
Wait till the snow stuff is gone, I am not ready to see snow yet. Always look forward to seeing your pictures, just a plus to see what is in the back ground,as it is so pretty. We have had a great fall but still have a lot of work to do before snow starts.
Nedly, Looks like if they didn't wash you away with floods and hurricanes this year, they are going to hit you with a bunch of snow. Ready or not looks to be headed your way, bud. Will be lots of white in your pictures.
The forecast looks like the majority if it is going to be south of us, they are looking at 6-12. We are in the1" area, that's fine with me, although anything can happen!
Hope they are right Nedly, to early for a big snow. Make everything a slimmy mess around here when that happens.
We are going to be working in the snow this year, is inevitable. Hopefully we can put it of off ad long as possible.
Well Nedly, how did you fare, much snow? Looks like south of you got plenty, so maybe you were right and just got a dusting, this time. I am sure you will be getting plenty latter on, when you are more ready to be plowing instead of working in the dirt.
It all stayed south. My sister lives in NW Mass. and they got 2' at her house. She was here for the weekend though so she missed out on all of the fun.The pics I've seen it looks like a sloppy mess, so I'm glad i stayed south of us!
Sorry OAW, I missed this post, thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind. the slope job is in a different location, lots of banks giving way this year with the weather we've had.
Road job pics. I snapped a few pics from a little road job we are doing. I ended up driving the single axle on this project, it's been quite a while since I've driven it this much but I'm having fun with the old girl. Just a few random pics, and some scenery shots for dirty!
You do get to work in some picturesque country, Nedley and what's more, I'll bet the wind doesn't blow there, either. I have had three weeks of wind and dust where I am working at the moment, that's why I enloy looking at yours and CD's pics. I can only imagine what it would be like to work in those surroundings. RnR.
Very nice scenery! Love the rocket launcher tube on the back of the 1 ton. lol
I had to run and pull a few big stumps for a tree guy (two was a load on the tandem), so I snapped a couple while I was there. It was a gloomy day, but you get the idea of the view. thats the driveway at the bottom of the ledge. And one of a small stream crossing job we are on.
Humongo stump....did the guy have to cut the tree down? Is that a concrete pipe between the 2 excavators? Thanks for the nice pics Nedly.
yup he cut it down. Took it out in16' sections. His70 up tractor will only lift the butt log 4" of the ground . That's a precast bridge abutment between the excavators.
ned looking good pard. you guy's look to be running and gunning. glad to see you have so much work do you guys have any of these predators in your parts> canadien timber wolf. regards, cd e-mail bud :usa:usa
Thanks Nedly, I have to give you an A+ for the last couple of times of picture taking. You must have to work pretty reasonable, to be in such beautiful surroundings. The only good thing we have been dry so I haven't seen much mud, just one job. I dug an old driveway tube out and set a new tube a couple weeks ago, for the township. the ground on one end was soft as the old tube was plugged. Put some rock under it, covered it and a couple days latter had a good soaking rain. A fellow drove his semi over the tube and the tube went down about six inches. Of course on the inlet side. So dug it up again, and had to put some 3-6 inch rock under and rock to level off for the tube. I had forgotten how sticky that clay gets when water sits on it. Looked like a cat trying to shake water off it's foot, trying to get the sticky clay out of the bucket.
We don't have any confirmation of wolves in our area, though there is rumor that they have been released. I have seen some awfully big "Coyotes" in the last few years. A lot of people feel that we do have a wolf population in this area. So we were in a big hurry this week to finish what we had scheduled. We ended up with 14" of snow on Wednesday, so we had a lot to pack into two days. We stabilized a creek bank that was storm damaged from Irene, installed a drain to daylight (no pics of that one) and did some grading around a new house. There was a ton of building materials in the way so we worked around it. It wasnt in the low area so we really didnt need to move it, though if it hadnt been time sensitive I would have just to have some elbow room. Then we headed for the shop to make sure the trucks were going to stay together. Nothing like 14" of we heavy snow on semi-frozen ground!!!
A Couple more, some grading and some plowing.
Thanks for the pics Nedly. A thumb must be real handy for placing those big rocks just where you want them. Hope you and your families had a good Thanksgiving.
Dang you Nedly, more pictures of that beautiful country you get to work in. Well all but the one of the white stuff. I am sure we will be seeing that soon around here also. Nice job stablizing the creek bank. The last two days 60 degrees, but may snow on Sunday. The gound should be warm enough to keep it from sticking around this time.
It's been in the 50's here the last two days, the snow is melting fast, by Monday I think it will be mostly all gone. I cant really complain though we have had awesome weather all fall.
I took this picture with you in mind dirty, I though that was a pretty nice backdrop!
Nedly, You did a fine job, good to know someone is thinking about me. Good to hear the snow is leaving for a while, I am sure you will see enough this winter.
Some stream work. I started a stream rehab job Yesterday, it was all beat up from Irene. It's slow going as I have to pick through everything to get a road I can travel on without tearing up my machine. I got quite a bit done in one day, probably today and maybe some tomorrow and I should be pretty close, thats all they want to spend anyway. It's fun work, kind of requires some thought and imagination. I had more pics but for some reason they didnt upload.
nice work looking good nedley. do you have enough to keep you going through the winter? regards,cd
It sure looks beautiful down there Nedly. Someone must have money to burn. I have a ceeek/river similar to that running through my property but the banks are so steep and high I can't access it except by foot or my dirtbike. One of these days I need to make an access ramp with my track loader.
nedley get er done!! :notworthy regards, cd Colmar, Alsace
We've got quite a bit of work yet, but not enough to go all winter. We will be working later than normal this year, we have a ton of maintenance to do on equipment so we have busy work to do between snow storms. This job is preventative maintenance to protect a large property with a bunch of homes on it. If they didn't do this work the spring run off would have torn it all up.
Good to see some more of your work Nedly. That does look pretty darn interesting, some very pretty country.
Done for the year. So we've moved into the shop for the winter. First project is pulling some rusty panels off the loader, and paint them up to slow the rust down. We got it pretty well prepped yesterday, hope to paint today or Monday. She's also getting a radio, hopefully that will help break up the long snow events with a little tunage! Also note the fire truck in there. When Irene took our fire station, the rescue truck, brush truck and tanker ended up at our place. I have no excuse no to go on calls in the middle of the night now:tong. We have some bad weather coming tonight into tomorrow, so I will snap some pics of that. Also I got a new go pro camera for Christmas so I will be uploading some new you tube videos! Happy New Year everyone!
Hi Nedly, Cool beans on the camera, looking forward to videos. That was my first thought, why does Nedly have a fire truck? I've been a volunteer for around 40 years but not very active any more. You can have the middle of the night stuff. :tong
The middle of the night calls suck, especially when its cold and nasty out! Here are a couple of the progress on the loader, not too exciting. I'm hoping when the catwalks and ladder is back on it will look cool with the black and yellow. I may have to do a quick coat of paint on the belly pan too, looks kind of goofy with it all scratched up and the rest painted!
Nedly, She is going to be looking good with that new paint job. Hope it has time to dry before you need it to move snow. It looks like you might having some of the white stuff to move. I used to be on the fire department those middle of the night calls weren't much fun. Then having to work all the next day with little or no sleep really sucked. It was good to be able to help out, though.
Hi Nedly we got an early morning this morning with a pickup truck fire somebody was joy riding it in a school yard and either abandoned it and it caught fire or they torched it. But we quickly got it out and got to use our new fire truck which is kind of a combination brush truck/ vehicle rescue truck. Gotta love having a bumper mounted remote control monitor we don't even have to get out. lol
That loader looks good
I've been slacking. We havent really been doing anything too exciting, but we have been doing some painting. You saw the loader, we also did the box/frame on the 5000 (no pics yet sorry) and did a complete paint job on the 7500. We aren't really experienced at body work, but my RHM does have some time under his belt at it. I think it came out pretty good for amatuers!
A little out of order, but you get the idea.
Not sure how I managed to get that last on in there twice..? LOL
A few more pics of vacation this time : the auction, the "after auction" the zoo, and trucks gone wild.
OOOps, I guess trucks gone wild will have to be in this post.
The auction was a really neat experience. We got there late (wrong turn or 2 ) so I never got registered to bid. I was drooling over the Deere 160 CLC, '04, tight 3500 hrs, went for 48 grand. I said right before it was sold that anything under 50 would be a good deal. I can see how it must get your blood pumping when you are buying, I was pumped just listening!
$48K for that 160 was a good buy. Probably see it for sale in machinery trader for $85K. How was the quality of the iron at the auction and which one did you go to?
nedley, some vacation eh!! bout time. the 160? i thought you said you were buying a 210? anyways have fun cd
Great update nedley good to get away for a while, too. Yes auctions can get you going, Richie has a auction house a couple hours from me. I tried to buy a backhoe there, a couple times. Sounds like a pretty good deal on the 160, nice of you to not run the fellow up. Your equipment is looking real good, it looks much better when on a job to show that you care about your equipment. It will reflect in your work, also. If you are out of equipment to paint come on over my excavator needs painted. I am hoping to get it done this spring, as it doesn't llok as good as I would like it too.
Thanks Dirty! I'm a firm believer in keeping the stuff up, treat it well and it will treat you well. The Mack is in the shop for paint now, box, frame,fuel/air tanks. Cab just getting polished for this year. After that I think we are going to do the cab on the 5500 if time allows. If you want to drop your excavator off, we can work on it when we have time LOL! I explored the idea of the 210, but for now I'm going to hold off on it. I cant move legally with the tandem and a 25 ton tag here and I need to be able to move when I need to move so I would have to get a tractor and lowboy. I can move a 160 on the trailer I have now, but I'm not going to buy anything big right now unless I can get a screaming deal. I'm waiting for some numbers from my salesman so we'll see what happens there. A tractor and lowboy is on my wish list, so that and a 210 are in my long term sights. We'll just have to see how things go this year, its starting to look like it's going to be busy again so thats a good start!
I went to the Alex Lyon auction in Kissimmee. Not too far from the Ritchie Bros. house off from I4. The condition of the iron varied, all of it was painted to look as new of course. A few machines had a lot of slack in the turntable, most had some wear in the stick at the bucket. Surprisingly most machines I looked at had good U/C. Watched a nice 2000 something 450 Cat with low hours go for 128 grand, and watched a ihi 5 ton with 5000 hrs, wore slam out go for 13 grand. I thought that was interesting!
That's where I am at as well. I don't want anything bigger than a 315/160 as I have no way of moving it and if you add in the mobilization cost of hiring someone to move it, you won't get the work. A 315/160 will handle the work I do know so for me, there is no benefit in going up one size. That's crazy on the auction price on the mini-ex but with auctions you never know.:dizzy
How do you like your 315, is it a B or C?
Looking good Nedly! I like the color of your truck. :thumbsup
They know how to make them look good at an auction. Had an old guy tell me once that powder and paint will make them what they ain't. That goes for machines and women, he always said. As always I am a little late, I should of had them drop it off on the way home for the paint job, since it was in Albany when I purchased it. Maybe next time I will get it right.
He did his best to get around me, but that was not going to happen!
Voodoo, Looks like it is a bit tacky where you are riding, in case you didn't notice.
Ooh, I can't wait to see the Mack all pretty-ed up!
I bet it will look good, have a case of Mack attack.
Nice voodoo, any time I get all mudded up on a four wheeler I wonder what the heck I did it for when I get home and have to get undressed before I go in!!! The mack is in the shop warming up, paint is here. Just have to get on it, doesnt look like it will be till next week at this point. I'm excited, been waiting to do this since we got i!
Mack pics. So we've been working on the Mack all week. We are more or less done but need to: paint the top of the headboard and box rails, another coat on the bottom, touch up some spots on the box, and touch up around the new light boxes ( added LED S/T/T lights and LED amber flashers). I'm really happy with it, I cant wait to get it outside and get some good pics of it!
look's great ! Y is there a fire truck in there ? Kyle
Thanks! The fire truck is in there because our station got destroyed by hurricane Irene, I have 3 trucks here. Check out www.keenefiredepartment.com it's a work in Progress but it gives you an idea of what happened. More pics will be posted soon.
My bad, it's www.keenefiredept.com
Ok wow that was bad. Well that is cool that they have a place to put them for now. Kyle
I have owned 2 C's and they were very good machines. Currently I don't have one but actively looking for a decent one at a good price, which is quite a struggle. I have a 953C, D5G, 533E compactor, skids and support equipment. A 315 size machine would round out the equipment stall for the type of work that is currently available.
X2 for me. I have only owned (1) but it has been great so far. It's a 2003 (I bought it new 12/03) and it now has +/- 5,000 hours. Like my other Cat (416C w/12,000 hrs, also bought new) I have a hard time finding fault with the product or the support. I do mostly custom resi and light commercial. It has been a good choice as far as size goes. It is long U/C and long stick. This affords the reach of a 20 ton, but not the power or stability, but it's only 8'6" wide so it fits in more places.
Ouch Nedly! Is there a small creek behind the station? Plans on rebuilding?
We are in the process right now. I was not able to be on the building comittee, there was just too much going on to be able to commit to the meetings and such. We are making progress with our new land, and we have a design. Funding is the big thing now.
Mack is done! We got her all finished up and out of the shop yesterday. I got the wrong size bolts for the ladder and have to grab the new hubcaps from the old shop and she will be complete. Tell me what you think of the red under the box. Thats the primer color, but weve been leaving the underside of the boxes that color. I like it personally, I think it breaks up the black a little!
A couple more!
The truck looks good Nedly. :thumbsup Primer normally requires a top coat but that coating looks like it has plenty of gloss to seal and protect it.
Look's great ! Kyle
Looks good to me, I like the look ot the primer. Did you coat the primer it does look a little glossy? Since you are done does this mean you are headed to my place to do my excavator? I wish I was that far along, but don't think I want it black.
snow situation looks similar to here. up high there snow but little to be had in the valley's. fotos look good on the mack, how many miles on here now?
Thanks guys! When do you want to start dirty? We can shoot yellow paint too. The truck has 95,000 miles.The snow is gone here now 55 and raining.
It is ready when ever you want to start nedly. I have been nursing a pulled muscle in my back, or it would be ready to paint, well close. I am hoping to get the main body painted this spring then the boom latter. I picked up a job that they want done pretty soon, but the roads are posted right now. With the warm weather we have had, and next week supposed to be warmer, with a rain they may take off the weight limits for roads. Picked up the primer yesterday, hope to have all the bad spots primed over the weekend. It is looking pretty rough right now.
I was wondering about the pictures of the firetruck in your shop also. For the longest time it did not make sense to me as to why a Keene fire engine was in your shop over on Adirondack Street. But then you posted these outside shots of the Mack and it looks like it is up on Alstead Hill which makes a whole lot more sense to me than being over in the Valley. Nice job on the paint. It really makes it sharp. And with the single axle being painted to match you have a much more uniform looking fleet now. I like that. I will tell you more about my new lowboy(s) when I see you next.
Thanks! Yeah we are in the process of moving to the new shop. Cant wait to hear about your new trailer
Hard to type with this phone! Haven't seen you in a while, stop by the new place the next time you're in the neighborhood .
Some pics. First pic is a bucket skidder that belongs to Nelson Tree. They blew the motor and needed it pulled out to the road and pushed on a lowboy. I wanted to take more but I had my hands full!
These are from earlier in the spring. The house fire was here in town. It was a total loss, fully involved on arrival. The Mack getting her first load since her paint, and the loader moving fill from a borrow pit we dug to fill a low spot in a customers yard.
Some more from early in the season. A parking lot we built. Dug down to good ground, added base, crusher run top and then covered with topsoil and seeded. They wanted a grassy parking spot I guess:beatsme Our new Kubota 121 loaded up. Has the 6 way blade and we went nuts this time and got a tilt bucket. Also have a 24" tooth bucket and hyd. thumb. She has AC and tunes too! This has been our highest hour machine this season. We've been taking it everywhere. Its easy to move and you can to a bunch of work with it. The KX57 belongs to a company a few towns over. It was on the trailer with the 121.
They don't seem to stay in order:beatsme In this set: Cleaning up some concrete off a job to haul away to an approved dump site. A small garage pad we did. Loading the single axle with a kobelco 330. I can load the single axle in 3 buckets and the tandem in 6. I would love to have this thing for a weekend. I could get a ton of work done in our pit!
Nothing too exciting. I will try to be better about taking pics of the cool jobs. I have to demo a big house in a few weeks at the site of the new fire station, so I will get some of that.Have a good day :thumbsup
Good to see you have been busy, all work is good just some better than other. Hope the new fire station is high and dry, they get that done you will probably have more shop room, unless they have moved the fire truck out already. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Ned, Whose 330 is that that you are using to load out with? And where? I presume that the house fire was Kathy's. I have most everything lined out to move the building that we looked at last weekend.
We have moved the tanker out to the pole barn so we have room in there now. If the new station floods, the whole town will be gone lol!
thanks for the fotos nedly. that mack is a short truck isn't it? how many tons/yards do you normally haul? nice looking kubota, how do you like it. glad to see you are busy this year regards, cd
Yeah the mack is a short little bugger. With our overweight permit we can haul 18 ton from the quarry. If we are loading our selves we shoot for 12 yards. The tri-axles around here can carry about 22.5 ton. It would be nice to be able to haul that much but being able to get into the tight spots is worth it for us. The Kubota is awesome, super easy to move and still quite productive. Its really fast and accurate, and unbelievably strong. I will try and get some pics of it working. Starting a little driveway in the mountains tomorrow, so the Kubota is the machine of choice.
wow, are you guys 54,000 lbs for a tandem. on my kenworth t800 i can get 15 tons on. on my t600 i can only get about 13.5 tons, she is a heavy one. how much does the kobota weigh? turboed? are you pretty well booked up? i backed off quite a bit this year, not working for a few of the large commercial guys anymore. the change in my attitude is huge. hope things are well, cd
hey Ned, what brand is the tilt bucket you picked up for the 121?
The Mack is registered for 64,000. Thats with my overweight permit. Because its so short I can't really load over 60,000 and keep my rears loaded right. 18 Ton is right around 60,000.Before the permit I had to register it for 52,000. That was good for around 14 ton or something, I can't remember. The Kubota weighs 10,000 the way we have it set up. Our work load has tapered off quite a bit. We had a 5 man crew but we are back to 3, and it couldn't have come at a better time as things slowed down quite a bit. We have plenty to do for the crew size so that relieves a lot of stress. I was told its a Kubota bucket, but it looks just like the Werk-Brau that was on the demo unit they brought us.
do you have any pictures of that tilt bucket and its side to side movement?
I will get you some today if I remember. It tilts 45* both ways.
Did a little demo project for the Fire Dept at the site of the new station. Took down the house and 2 small cabins (was a motel/cabin rental place). I had the 110 there and another member brought his 329 Bobcat and 1 ton. Luckily we have a certified dump site for concrete about 2 miles away so we were able to get it cleaned up pretty quick with the mini and 1 ton. It took 6 40 yard cans, theres about 5 yards left over so thats just going to the county C/D dump in a little dump trailer. Ground breaking is on the 8th. Almost a whole year from the when the other station washed away. http://www.keenefiredept.com/images.html The building in the training pics is the one we demo'd
6 40's? what are they charging out there? i just paid $192.00 flat haul from WM and 62 a ton for the debris. everytime i do flat fee they get so picky that the cans are only supposed to weigh 8 tons. we tend to load them aroumd 10 tons sometimes 12. hope every thing is well. i thought you were buying a bigger hoe?? what's up? i am gonna have to update because everything i have i high hour and a have a load of major, rocky digs coming up. take care good work on the volunteer stuff at the dept. regards, cd
I believe it was 400 a can and 120 a ton to dump. Not positive though. I was getting 8-9 tons per can. We looked at going to a 200 but it was iffy to move with our truck and 25 ton tag. Then looked at a 160 and decided it was semi close in size to the 110 so we just decided not to buy big this year. We can hire a 225 for 150/hr so it doesnt really make sense to own one. We did buy a 5 ton kubota and have been using it almost daily since we got it so we are happy with that purchase.
When i do update it will be short tail swing!
Let me know when you step up to a bigger machine. I will be happy to lug it around for you. In fact I will be lugging one into your "backyard" very shortly.
Wheres that,where they logged last winter? Are you building a new tow truck? Saw you all hitched up to the old Chevy last week.
Good to see and hear that the fire department is going to have a new building. Hope it is closer to the top of the hill, in case you ever get another bad storm like that last one. Having a big excavator would be nice once and a while, but the moving of one can be a headache. I went through that with my 130 Case, till I got my truck and trailer, having to wait to be moved. We got our first real rain yesterday, been a long while. To late for the corn crop, but will help the beans. Lots of wind along with it, still no power. The welder/ generator is working great. Get everything cooled off and fix breakfast, then let it rest for a while. The utility company probably called most of the guys around here to go to Chicago area. They go to where the most people live, get to us when they feel like it. That is ok, I am sure not going to live in a city.
You certainly are observant, aren't you! I could not let that old dinosaur get hacked in to pieces and lugged off to the scrapyard, so I made a deal for it. As for the excavator, who knows where it is actually going, I will know about this time tomorrow. When I start unloading it. The only directions that I have are "Take it to the log cabin in Keene. You can foolow me down on Monday." I like something a little bit more specific usually, but if I am following the customer we cannot get to lost, right? I saw Larmon House Movers on their way into Placid on Thursday. Any idea what they are up to?
Log cabin in Keene LOL, might be nice to be a tad more specific! I saw Larmon go by too, there Mack/lowboy is at the snow field on West Valley Rd. Some place in LP I guess.As for the old Chevy. I always liked that old thing, Glad to see it go someplace where it will be loved!
We used to have to wait on moves for our 490 years ago. Dad got to be good friends with the driver so it ended working out well for him, I'm just so used to having that capability myself that it would be hard for me to get used to. We've been in and out of dry spells here to, though nothing like you are having. We go for days without rain, then get an inch in 20 minutes, which really does no good as it just runs off so overall we are pretty dry. What did you get for a truck and trailer dirty?
I got an 02 International 8100 single axle dump truck with a new 10' Goodwin box. The trailer I found only 80 miles away, at a landscaper it is a Dynaweld 20T. tilt it is old but hasn't been out in the winter salt so in pretty good shape. The truck handles the trailer with my little Case CX 130 just fine. Most all my work is close by so I take it easy when you only have a little ways to go. It does what I wanted it to do, make it so I can move when I want. Nedly,I waited for you to come by and paint my excavator, but finally did it, got the body painted when it warmed up. Two days latter it was on a job. Hope to get the boom painted one day, it doesn't look to bad. The back doors were both beat up pretty bad when I bought it, they aren't perfect but so much better than they were. It makes me feel better to have nice looking equipment, and that is the most important part. Wish I had more work for it, and less other work. Some day hope to meet up with you and see the beautiful country you get to work in. Be a nice ride on my motorcycle, also.
I've always like the looks of the 8100's. I bet it turns sharp, what are the specs? We might just have to see a pic of the truck and trailer with the 130 loaded up! My right hand man moved away, he was the painter. I always just prep and tape. I guess this winter I'm going to have to try my hand at painting Having a nice looking fleet definitely boosts the morale. It feels good when someone tells you how nice your gear looks! So when are you going to plan your trip? Hop on the bike and head out!
Nedly, wish I could just hop on the bike and take off. It seems there is always another job to be done, before I get to take time off. Guess having work is good, but a little time away would be more enjoyable. The truck can scale 8 ton, and yes it turns around in very little space. Has a 6 speed tranny, with a nice granny gear to get things started pretty easy. I will have to see if I can figure out how to post a picture, or two.
Some pics from the fall. It's been a while since I posted so since I have some time today and no place urgent to be (just in the woods ) I thought I'd go through the phone and dig out some good ones. I can't wait to get an iPhone, the picture quality is so much better. In this set we had to do a nice little cut and export a few hundred yards of material. After grubbing the top I was happy to see the material would be suitable to build a "road" to the rear of the cut to allow the trucks to back right in to me. Dump site was a 6 mile round trip so we knocked it out pretty quick.I haven't been back to the job since we left but they were moving the tennis court over 10 feet and regrading to send surface runoff into the field behind. Before the regrading the water shed toward the driveway, and during heavy rains it would wash it out.
more These pics are from the same job. They decided as long as they were going to the trouble to fix the tennis court drainage issue, they might as well fix the driveway right too. We cut the banks back shaped the ditches and lined with select stone. Replaced a culvert with a larger on and graveled the whole repaired area.
more of the ditches, and tailgating some item.
We did a big clearing project for a new start, all hardwood. We were told to leave a few cord on site for the owners and get rid of the rest. Perfect! Good start for next years wood, My OWB is a hungry SOB!. I haven't taken any pics of the site recently, after the clearing was done the push was on to get the excavation done so concrete could be poured, its been really cold here at night so blankets have to be put over all fresh concrete at the end of the day to prevent freezing. I will get some pics of the site when I go up to do drainage and backfill, its been a battle, with water, ledge, boulders and nasty ground. We had to export 200 yards of mucky overburden to get down to decent material, and by the time we separated the boulders out of that there was only around 40 yards, so we've been stockpiling sand for backfill.
This job has been a treat, its right up the road from the shop, good access, and good digging. We ended up digging it with the 70 which wasn't bad. The 110 would have been nice, but we couldn't de-mobe from the other job, so like CM would say "run what ya brung". Its been handy actually because we had to grade a bunch of stone, the 5' bucket makes short work of that, one guy in the hoe, one guy checking grade, one guy running tamper. Git r done! The deer came right out for lunch with us, sitting there in the truck with it running having a bite. We must not seem too threatening?
This was an interesting project. The center pier on the walking bridge had been damaged in high water last spring, the original plan was to try and straighten it and fill under it with stone. Further inspection showed there was too much damage to the portion underwater (you can see the deterioration in the first pic) so plan B went in to effect. We filled around it with stone and built it up to protect it and force the water around. The top will be leveled and if it fails after this it will be replaced.
A few more, you can see in the last picture what we did to protect the pier.
Some of a little driveway we did, the owner wanted it to have curves like J-Lo, LOL! It was a very sensitive project, not intended for any vehicle of size. The 1 ton was difficult to maneuver in there. Couldn't be any wider than 9' and couldn't hurt the pine roots. The tree guy/landscaper on site recommended putting soft filter fabric over the roots and #3 stone over that. Price was never discussed, he just wanted what he wanted. Super nice guy to work for, great sense of humor! Last one is a random grade checking shot when we were helping out at the new fire station job.
They are starting to get pretty random now LOL. A buddy of mine got the dirt work at the new Fire station site, so we've been doing some work here and there for him. Had to move the job trailer one day. The snake picture was taken by a buddy of mine who owns a mobile service business. He found the snake in the radiator of a 555 Deere track loader he was working on, the fan had already killed him by the time he found him. No thanks!!
I had a bunch of rocks to get rid of from a job, so I decided to build my daughters a sandbox! Same buddy that is doing the FD work paved the driveway for my house/office. He needed a mini on a job he was doing, so he dropped off his 120D at my house to get a head start on the prep for paving and he took the kubota to do his job. Then a couple of a little road/ clearing we did for a seasonal camp.
Some more of the little site job.
My 3 year old wanted to ride in the excavator while I dug the driveway out, it was about 90 degrees, I had the air going the music on and the hum of the machine put her right to sleep!! The deere D series are super nice machines! Thats it for now, gotta go try to get a buck before they're all gone! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
Happy Thanksgiving Nedly......thanks for the update and cool pics.
Nice work Nedly.:thumbsup The driveway at the tennis courts is top notch, as well as your other projects. It's nice when a customer doesn't mind paying what it takes to get a job done right. Happy Thanksgiving!:drinkup
Thanks!!! Thanks for the kind words CM, Its always good to hear praise! We haven't had too many of the customers who just want what they want regardless of price lately, when you get one, and you are on the same page with them its like a breath of fresh air LOL!!!
Nice work Nedley and some nice views of the hills there. Have a good thanksgiving from us up north.
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving with the family, Nedley. It looks like you have been busy and had a few pretty good jobs. You do some very nice looking work, and a lot of the places you are working are quite beautiful. Thanks for shaing the pictures with us.
Nice looking stuff Nedly! Now make sure that you get the drainage right, I don't want you to wash our cabin away! Not that I would worry about you, but after last year with the landslide..... Of course then it would be an excuse to get the Larmon House Movers back. Hmmmmm. I hope that you, Jen, and the kiddos had a happy Turkey Day.
Thanks! Every time I'm working in a place with a nice view I think of how you'd enjoy a picture of it! My girls went to the in-laws in FL for turkey, so I've had the whole place to myself...eerily quiet! The drainage runs away from your place, I would bet it will always run water in less its super dry out. If you're traveling 73 this AM, use caution, from Owls Head Rd. to NCS is a sheet of ice, just got back from an MVA in the twin bridges.
Very nice work and some nice looking equipment! How many years have u been in the business? Props on the upkeep of your machines :drinkup
Thanks PNECAT. My Grandfather started in 1963. He did mostly building, but they did there own dirt work. My Father hated (still does) carpentry so shortly after he started, he began moving more towards the dirt. He took over in '86 having completely eliminated the building. Thanks for the props, we don't let repairs get out of hand, if something needs fixing we fix it, and try to keep the paint looking nice!
That sounds very familiar Nedly. My dad was a carpenter turned homebuilder. I grew up in the building business but always preferred the dirt end of it. He bought a new Bobcat 843 in 1986 and that is what I cut my teeth on moving and shaping dirt. I started out in 1995 building houses on my own but it wasn't something I enjoyed. In 2003 I bought my first piece of yellow iron and didn't look back. I too despise carpentry work...
I think I learned my love for carpentry from my Father. I'm pretty bad at it. I can do little things out of wood, like square boxes for concrete forms LOL. I'll never be anything but a dirt guy...I hope!!!!
Same thing here. My dad did custom wood working and residential construction. I got my eye for detail from him teaching me to build cabinets. My grandparents farmed and that where my love of equipment came from. I've always been a natural on equipment and done my dads dirt work since I could sit on a pillow and reach the pedals. I airn't no carpenter anymore, but I can swing a hammer. Just prefer it be hooked up to a hoe.
Thats great to hear man that the business has been ketp going on threw the family. Something to be proud of and it looks like u guys have a really good thing going on with nice equipment and quality jobs getting done! I myself have started a side excavating business that i am trying to build up because its something ive always loved and been around with growing up on a farm and my uncles have allways had some kind of equipment around while i was growing up. It looks like u are a great person to ask how and what are the best ways to approach getting started and building up my business. any advice would be great thanks nedly05
Start small. What equipment do you have already? If it were me and I were trying to get rolling (lets assume I had a 1 ton pickup) I would buy (or rent depending on work load) a 5 ton mini and 60 HP skid steer (used) and a dump trailer (preferably goose neck). This way you have the capability of hauling away spoils, or material in with out the extra cost of an additional vehicle. If you need big material hauled, hire it out. Don't go bigger until you have the work. Don't turn any job down, no matter how much of a pain in the butt it is, and work as much as you can.Be professional, but most of all, do quality work, be fair to your customers. Do a little more than you agreed on, but never a little less. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. Good luck!!!
Nedly05 I have a 1993 ford L9000 single axle dump truck With a Holden 12TON TAG trailer and a 1987 Cat D3B dozer in great condition, 75% U/C. Ive had this set up for 2 years know and im still trying to get my name out threre and more advertisment which i have a few adds in some restraunts and i live in a small town with many others around me so a good name is everything. We do have a smaller rental palce about 19 miles from me that a can rent a mini excavator/skidsteer, thinkng this would work good until i start to get things going better and later on down the road buy therse? or is it something i will need sooner than later.? The one thing i was thinking i could use next is a decent size excavator or backhoe for loading and digging. Thanks for the help. Chris
Cool! I've always like the L9000. My first choice would be an excavator, but a backhoe would be a better fit for you I think, this way you can load and carry material, plus you can do snow removal. Try to find a nice used 4x4 extenda hoe cabbed machine. Also depending on how much you use the dozer you could look for an 8 ton excavator with a blade and get rid of the dozer. Try to find one with a hydraulic thumb, tooth bucket and clean up bucket. Don't forget how much we like pics!
I see you finally got some fotos up buddy. Looking good, no snow out your way either huh? So you like the Kubota? i sent the 55 back, no need to pay rent over the winter. Take it easy! regards, CD
This is my start to my excavating business. Hope youguys like the set up.
Very nice set up. Now you just need to expand within reason/need and keep pushin!
Its snowed lightly for a few days now, not enough to plow though. Supposed to warm up next week again. The kubota is a beast, very fast!
Man I think you just wrote my life history only my dad had a Bobcat 743 that I started on. I did the carpentary thing while going to school but then after college I got started running jobs and equipment on large scale dirt jobs and highway projects which I still do. I do still help dad out on the weekends with his little dirt work projects when needed. I still hate swinging a hammer too, brings back memories of roofing on them hot summers and why my knees still hurt.
Long time no see Nedly. Where the heck you been? How's work? Waiting on some pictures buddy. Regards, CD
Hey CD, been busy as ever. All of my help has left in the last year. All for better jobs with more pay etc. Dad is slowly retiring so I've been doing a lot of it myself. I'd like to get a couple good guys to work with me, but they are hard to find. I have a ton of pics I just need to take the time to post them. Been doings bunch of work with a buddy, working on a small bridge right now. How's things with you CD?
Nedly, Where in NY are you? Ive been thinking about moving back North. Its been awhile since Ive been on some equipment but the last time I got on an excavator the rust shook off pretty quick.
I'm in Keene. Where in the north are you originally from? How is the economy down there ?
Im originally from Ludlow Vt. Economy seems to be coming around down here. Didnt really get hurt too bad in Orlando because the Europeans and the English kept coming here. Havent ever had to search for work, lets put it that way.
Does North Eastern log homes have a plant in Keene, Nedly? I built four different places with their logs, over the years. Had hoped to ride my motorcycle out and meet you but work has been crazy busy for me.
My inlays winter in Daytona, there always seems to be a lot going on down there, seems like a lot of road work going on. No, there is a plant about an hour from here, and a mill about 10 minutes from here that does them. I will google it and see where they are. You keeping busy dirty?
Nedly, my friend. I hit a major gap in August and sat on my a.. Otherwise I am now super busy. Things should go well for the next few years, finished a few big jobs and started a few more big jobs. How bout the pictures buddy?? Regards, CD
We're pretty busy right now. Working on a box culvert to replace a 4' steel pipe that washed out a couple times. I have tons of pics on our wade Whitney inc. Facebook page. I can upload them there from my phone, can't figure out how to do that here.
Its good to see you taking good care of your equipment. Esp that 110!!
Thanks! It has a new U/C, new fuel system, we line bored the boom, stick and bucket. I think it looks like its getting a new bucket soon, and hopefully a coupler!
Just a test pic to see if my resized is working. Some stone work we did in the spring.
More of the stone wall job and one of a barn rehab that we helped out on. The stone wall was interesting, the road if probably pushing 20% grade, and the bank was loose granular sand so we had to build 10' at a time to keep the whole hill side from sloughing. We stockpiled our stone at the bottom, on the other side of a bridge and carried them up with the loader. I would dig the bank out and load it in to the bucket, once we got our area ready we would carry up wall stones and build that section. We backed the whole thing with cob rock we mined on site. It was a neat job, but I was glad to be done.
Guest house demo we did. Luckily it rained the whole time, the place was super dry and it would have been a dusty mess of blown in insulation etc. The most I could pack into the tandem was 2-3 ton.
The box culvert job we just finished. Removed a 4' galvanized and replaced it with a 4x8x14' box. First one I've ever done, I hope to do more it was a fun job. Had to run 2-2" pumps and an 1.5" pumps 24-7 till we got done.
More of the box culvert job.
Looking good buddy! Nice rock wall. Finally got some pictures up. Regards, CD
Thanks CD, hows your fall looking busy I hope?
Nice job! Looks like you and your machines are doing great.
Glad to see you posting pics again Nedly. You sure do some interesting work. That's quite a hill behind those rocks.
Thanks oldanworn! I have some more to post, maybe tomorrow morning. My little girl is 4 today so not much time to post. That side hill is that steep from top to bottom, the road is sort of in the middle, I bet it's 50 feet to the top and 50 feet to the bottom. My father built the road 20 years ago with a backhoe! New owners wanted the stonewall so it felt "safer"
Hey nedly, very nice looking job you did. Kind of nice to be doing work that your dad had been on. Pretty darn nice looking country you get to work in. Look forward to seeing the next batch of pictures you share with us. We got the first rain in a month and a half today. Very welcome I hope we get more this week. Have a house to knock down and then dig a basement for a new home. Then haul in dirt for the yard, after the house is framed. Work as been busy but not much with the excavator so will be all the more enjoyable.
Thanks dirty! A lot of the places we work, I'm the 3rd generation on my Fathers fathers side. My fathers grandfather (mothers side) was a paver. So essentially I'm the 4th generation to work at a few of them. Ive torn out blacktop that my great grandfather layed when my father was a boy! Lots of history around here. We need to get you posting some pictures of your jobs, I'd love to see your hoe and truck, and the country you work in!
I will have give it a try sometime to post a few pictures. Pretty much corn and bean fields around here, no pretty spots like where you work or like it is in Aspen where CD works.
Some pics from the fall. Here are a few pics from my fall. Nothing too interesting, just some brook work and a new USA bucket in this set. Had to remove a bunch of woody debris and skim gravel from this brook to help control flood water. All of the small streams (and big ones) are a mess since Hurricane Irene, we will likely be doing some stream work every season for a long time.
More pics. I hauled some asphalt for my buddy as he was stretched out and needed a truck. Had to pick up some Eljin mats, and the family wanted to tag along and go to the pumpkin patch, so I improvised and packed 26 of them on my truck. Got a lot of strange looks on the way home LOL! And a little driveway I made some improvements to, cut a new road in to lose some grade and make it a little more manageable.
Ran into some boulders we couldn't move. Blasting wasn't an option, so we drilled and used a boulder buster to break them up and rented a breaker to finish up. Carrying some fill into a tight spot with the 410 and a pile of frost from last week.
Last ones for now, the 110 ramped into the excavation to deal with rock. A fire I responded to with the FD this AM and my new truck.
Thanks for the updates Nedly. Good looking truck and logo. How well did the Boulder Buster work for you?
Thanks!! The boulder buster worked well on the rocks that were completely exposed. It got us some fractures to work with so as far as I'm concerned it was a success. Its a very cool tool, and we will be working with the contractor who owns it again for sure. Its amazing what can be done with water and a little charge.
Looks like some more good work in some real scenic country. Thanks for sharing. We had 4" of frost on Monday when I dug out an old sidewalk and some dirt for a concrete pad. It was 50 on Wednesday and 6 this morning.
nedly05, just don't straighten out too many of those curves up there in the Adk. Mtns! They are lots of fun on the motorcycle. Have you been on the road to Stillwater Reservoir? From Eagle Bay over to near Lowville, that road could use a little work on the washboard gravel!
Our weather has been all over, snow one day rain the next. -5 last Saturday and almost 50 on Thursday. Next week looks weird too. Never been on that road, I love the lowville area though. There are plenty of rough winding roads around here!
Your 110 John Deere excavator sure is a good looking machine just needs some loving on the dozer blade, nice work your doing there.
Thanks 245! Hoping to re skin the blade this winter.
Well if you do take that road make sure you have something with good suspension! Lowville area is nice we spent a couple days there last spring. Motel had hug parking lot with signs saying where the snowmobile trailers should park! Think it will be a few months before I will head up there on the bikes
Yeah, snowmobiling is huge up there, but with the amount of snow they get you need a hobby to get through the winter!
Cold today...high of -6 Its chilly here today, -6 and snowing. Usually doesn't snow much at these temps but were getting a little storm today, really light fluffy stuff. I was hoping to just putter in the shop, but I got 3 calls to sand driveways so I had to fire up the loader and the F550. They started well without being plugged in. I let them run about an hour and a half before I went out. I still don't know how to type between the pics, which is sad lol, so hopefully they'll be in order. #1- DOT officer wanted some sort of bumper welded off the hitch plate. There's supposed to be an "impact guard" 18" off the side of the vehicle, mine was 30". I had some schedule 40 2" pipe laying around so I used that, and the mig with .035 wire to weld it on. #2- It needed paint, so I cleaned up the whole hitch plate and primed/painted. Then I thought some DOT tape might look nice, well its too shiny and reflective to get a good pic now lol. #3 Headed out sanding, the sun is trying to come out! #4 Loading up. #5 The sand pile. 2 rows of mafia blocks that had a portable garage on it. The garage collapsed last winter and I haven't done anything to replace it. I was standing there when it fell in. I wanted to puke, it was only about 3 weeks old and it was a real PITA to put together. Not sure what to do just yet, but I need to do something because this tarp business is for the birds.
Yair . . . nedly05 . Could you elaborate on "sanding driveways" us lucky bastards who live in warm places have never heard of the concept . . . maybe similar to sanding logging roads? And how the heck do you bill out such work, by the hour or yard of driveway? I mean to say you have to get the equipment started and warmed up in marginal conditions, expenses that aren't incurred in "normal" situations . . . although, on reflection you blokes probably consider this normal? (he grins) Cheers.
I butt in here a little as Nedly is probably out working! The sanding is to give traction in the snow, most likely on the steeper driveways as he is up in the mountain country. If you look at the second to last picture close you can see the contraption on the back of his truck that does the spreading of the sand. Very close in basic design to one of those walk behind machines that you seed a lawn with only much heavier duty. Some have their own small engine and others run of the hydraulic system of the truck.
Hey Scrub, I don't mean to interrupt Nedly's thread, but how are you coping with the present warm spell? They're saying it is the most severe heat wave ever recorded for these parts. Cheers,Greg
Yair . . . Gotcha kshansen . Thanks mate, it's difficult to imagine working and living in such conditions . . . and having contractors available with such specialised equipment. Queenslander Saw 38.5 on our verandah yesterday . . . worse coming on the weekend so they reckon. It's the hottest I've seen it here east of the Great Divide Got an old mate running road trains hauling gravel out in the Western Country and he reckons its been nudging over fifty on the readout and shutting the truck into some sort of limp mode on exhaust temps. Cheers.
Nedly, load your pics and insert them in your post. Hit the preview post and see which ones are where. In the typing field, just cut and paste the entire attachment and paste them with spaces between the attachment. Type what you want between the pics, preview it to make sure it's right and it's a done deal. Congrats on the new pickup. I really like my '13 F350 and haven't had one issue with it. Bought it at the end of last winter and have 15K on the odo. I bought just the XL work truck with the electric and decor package. Keep us updated you do nice work, it shows you care in what you do.
Why don't you mix some salt or mag in the sand? Then you won't have that problem. Unless of course you want sand but want to keep your driveway's frozen so they don't turn into muddy messes. Regards, CD
Thanks for all of the replies! It's definitely a chore living in these parts this time of year. As far as charging for warming up equipment, we kind of lose out on days like today it's more just me taking care of it letting it warm up. The sanding is based on how much sand we use, how long it takes etc. we've had a lot of ice this winter so we've been sanding a lot of places we don't usually do, so thers some cyphering to get the price right. I'm really happy with my ford, it has a ton of room for the kiddo's and rides nice. It plows really good and turns tight. Just shy of 3k, so the jury is still out. I'm happy so far though. The sand is salted, if not it will freeze and the chunks won't go through the auger.
Nedly, Nice to see you are getting back into posting again. Always neat to see other people's work... and gear.
Thanks cd! I was thinking of you yesterday when I was starting equipment. How are you making out with your winter work? I can't imagine digging every day when it's this cold!
We just take it one day at a time. Obviously, We are not making the type of money we make in the regular season. It hasn't been all that cold recently, usually around 5-8f at night then gets up to 30f or so. Keeping the tractors running is a whole different deal. We always end up spending a few thousand on new batteries, chains, antifreeze and other winter related gear. It doesn't seem like snow removal is that big of a deal over the last few years and we don't make that much money off it. I actually have thought about giving up that line of work. Mostly because my guy's always end up on overtime and it is a major p.i.t.a. Regards, CD
We make decent money at plowing, but it stresses me out badly. We plow a lot of second homes and keeping those places open, and dealing with PIA customers is wearing me down. I don't mind going out and working, but the BS that goes along with it stinks. I wish I could find something else to do this time of year! A few pics from this morning. Left home at 4AM to start, it was -10. Got somewhere around 3-6"
The clients have always been a problem with snow removal. I only work for two commercial clients and they manage all the properties, we do no take calls from individual renters or such.. only the property manager. We have been doing so long, no one really messes with us, the only day we may not show up is after our company Christmas party. It just seems like so much hassle, here it is in January and, I think we have been out maybe 5 times.. maybe. There is quite a bit of digging going on at the moment so things are good, it is a pain but keeps the bills paid. This year is going to get crazy with the amount of work we have. good luck and be safe. CD
Weather not too bad here in Central NY, -3ºFthis morning when I went out to snowblow the driveway. I'm guessing nedly saw a bit lower maybe in the negative teens ºF
has it gotten any warmer in your part of the park
I have been inside working on an office remodel. Felt pretty good being inside today -13, and next week -19 with a high of -11 on Monday. I quit plowing snow last year, the business people were ok the others well not so much fun. Headed to Florida in February, to see my sister and do some work around her place. Then over to Texas for a while. Looking forward to some time off, been over a year and half with no vacation. I sold my house on Christmas eve so after the closing will be kind free to do what I want. Hate loosing my 3K sq. ft. garage, but still have the shop. Did some demo work just before Thanksgiving, and fought the frost and the excavator's tracks frozen to the ground. Was glad it was frozen and I was able to get the tracks fairly well cleaned up before climbing up the tilt bed trailer, to move back to the shop. Then it warmed up a little so I got it washed and put away till warm weather.
It's about -10 right now, supposed to drop down close to -20. It will be a nice change to go to Florida dirty! My wife and kids fly out Monday to my in laws in Daytona. I'm left behind till the next trip. We're supposed to warm up and get mixed precipitation again then back down cold again. This weather is nuts, moving back down south is starting to look good again!!!!
nedly, We started out warmer than normal in the early fall, then colder than normal. Every time it warms up a little, it snows, then gets colder. Each time colder and colder. Have been close to record lows a lot of mornings, will make Florida all the better. We have most of the metal on the covering the old building, need a few days of weather in the 20's to finish. Had hoped to do that this next week as the flooring is going in, starting Monday. Below zero for highs means no metal is going to get installed that is for sure. Looks like this next cold wave is going to go deep into the south. Still better than when I lived in Jackson WY, 43 below, the seat in the truck was like a concrete block.
So its been pretty slow around here, not much going on but snow and ice management. Mostly ice this year. Last winter our chevy 1ton got totaled during a storm (driver was OK so thats really what matters). We had to have a sand truck and we had to have it quick, I knew the F550 was for sale 15 minutes away so we went down, took a look and bought it. Its a super clean'06 with almost 90K miles, but it was just a little more than the insurance check so went for it. The rust situation was almost non existent for a truck from this area of that age. We'd never had a tailgate sander before which was a bit of a learning curve but we got familiar with it and really found it worked well. So a couple weeks ago I had to go run some sand and Dad jumped in with me for the ride, we were sanding along and I went to lower the box when it made a very strange noise and moved like id never seen. we got out to find that the passenger side dump hinge had ripped completely out of the long sill leaving the box hooked by only drivers side and the hoist. We were able to finish and get it back to the shop where we welded the box to the sub frame with 2 pieces of 1/2"X6"x12" pieces and ordered a new V-box to get through the winter. In the spring the box will have to come off and new long sills be put in. Its amazing the way they rotted from the inside out. I will take a pic of the damage and post it. The new sander is nice in some ways, what I really miss is being able to put 3 yards on and do multiple driveways on one load, I can only get about 2 yards on this one. My Father and his buddy built a playhouse for my kids, had to drag it down the road to my house. It was funny going down the road, no one even looked twice at us, they must be used to seeing us do odd things LOL. I traded my van body that I used for storage and the smashed sander from the old one ton to my buddy for a tractor trailer load of firewood. Its win win because the area behind the shop get cleaned up, he gets some stuff he wanted and half of next winters wood will be here. (we burn 25 full cord of wood a year ) Attached Images So its been pretty slow around here, not much going on but snow and ice management. Mostly ice this year. Last winter our chevy 1ton got totaled during a storm (driver was OK so thats really what matters). We had to have a sand truck and we had to have it quick, I knew the F550 was for sale 15 minutes away so we went down, took a look and bought it. Its a super clean'06 with almost 90K miles, but it was just a little more than the insurance check so went for it. The rust situation was almost non existent for a truck from this area of that age. We'd never had a tailgate sander before which was a bit of a learning curve but we got familiar with it and really found it worked well. So a couple weeks ago I had to go run some sand and Dad jumped in with me for the ride, we were sanding along and I went to lower the box when it made a very strange noise and moved like id never seen. we got out to find that the passenger side dump hinge had ripped completely out of the long sill leaving the box hooked by only drivers side and the hoist. We were able to finish and get it back to the shop where we welded the box to the sub frame with 2 pieces of 1/2"X6"x12" pieces and ordered a new V-box to get through the winter. In the spring the box will have to come off and new long sills be put in. Its amazing the way they rotted from the inside out. I will take a pic of the damage and post it. The new sander is nice in some ways, what I really miss is being able to put 3 yards on and do multiple driveways on one load, I can only get about 2 yards on this one. My Father and his buddy built a playhouse for my kids, had to drag it down the road to my house. It was funny going down the road, no one even looked twice at us, they must be used to seeing us do odd things LOL. I traded my van body that I used for storage and the smashed sander from the old one ton to my buddy for a tractor trailer load of firewood. Its win win because the area behind the shop get cleaned up, he gets some stuff he wanted and half of next winters wood will be here. (we burn 25 full cord of wood a year ) I had a pic of the early stages of prepping the L9000 for paint, and the kubota on a test hole job from tuesday but I can't seem to find em?:beatsme
Hey Buddy, Don't you get sick of all the whiney second homeowners bitching about their icy driveways? I just raised my prices for sanding to $70 a ton, we'll see how it goes, The ice slicer with mag chloride in it goes for $450.00 for a 15 ton load. What else is new? How is the spring excavation work looking? I am busy as all hell, not right at the moment but it is coming, been shopping for some new tractors as well? Regards, CD
I love the work you guys do. I dont comment much on here but I'm always looking. I love your blue F-250. How much was the tool box/fuel tank if you dont mind me asking?
Thanks, it makes my day reading comments like this! Im very happy with my ford, I want to add firestone ride-rite air bags to the back to level it out and help with trailering. I don't like the factory sag on the F250, but it does make it easier to get shovels etc. out of the back. Its funny, the fuel box/tank was in the garage when I moved in to my house, I saw it when we looked at the place never thought it would be here when we moved in. I was pretty psyched about it. Written in sharpie on the fill cap is $795.
Hauling fill sand. Got a call from a fellow excavating contractor who needed some sand on a job about a mile from our pit. They used all of there excavation for grade and needed material to backfill. It was a cold start, but everything went well and I delivered 17 loads total. Nothing too exciting, I wasted to get a pic of his 312C but we were pushing pretty hard to get done so I didn't take the time to do it. Nice machine though!
Not a problem! But if your seriously considering air bags look at pacbrake airbags. I think they cost a little more but they look nice. But yeah I'm looking at RDS and weatherguard tanks and they seem to be alright. But by the time you add the electric pump your pretty close to that price. But anyways everything is still looking good!:thumbsup
Thanks man, I'll check out the pac brake bags. I'm intested in an engine or exhaust brake for the ford L9000 so I'll have to swing by their website.
I just realized my reply from the other day didn't make it in, not sure what I did wrong. I remember typing it:beatsme I'm getting really sick of the whiners. I'm thinking about downsizing my whole operation, plowing included. Any whiners are getting the axe. I will keep the non whiners and those who have us do work year round. I'd like to lose half of them probably. Our sand cost about the same or a little more for 18 ton, it scales to around 14 yards, as the salt makes it lighter per ton, we just raised our plowing/sanding prices also. Im at a bit of a crossroads here at the moment, trying to figure out the best direction to head. Leaning towards selling some equipment and trucks updating the 8 ton machine and going after smaller work and just working by myself. I have a good buddy who I can turn to for help with a bigger machine, we work together quite a bit already so it wouldn't be a big deal to continue. I'm just so annoyed with trying to find and keep help that it seems like it would be easy to just work alone. Everyone wants $25/hr and they don't want to touch a shovel or rake. They just want to drive or operate and stand there. I have no patience for that. So my thought is to get rid of some of the iron fly solo and hopefully it will work out. We have a good amount of work coming in. I have one good sized water service to do in the village to start the year off. Just priced two more water lines, one is 1500'. Im afraid they might bok at the price, but they must realize its going to be expensive! Another new house, not sure how big, Ill either dig it myself, or if its too big Ill have my buddy come in and help out on it. We always have the spring maintenance to look forward to on the roads we maintain also, so it looks to be a decent start for a one man operation. Im excited to see how things work out this year, and where I'm at a year from now!
Yair . . . nedly05 . I really feel for you blokes . . . working in poor conditions with whingeing customers would really light my fuse. As regards the downsizing. I knew a feller in a similar position as you. A small operation, backhoe, small excavator, couple of trucks. for various reasons he lost his good crew and after having some gear tore up he decided to go it alone with just a fitter/machinist in the workshop. The gear pretty much was paid for and he just took out what was needed for the job on hand. Back then he was charging every thing out at seventy five bucks an hour and everyone was happy. He was getting seventy five bucks for every hour he worked and, apart from keeping the gear serviced and repaired the fitter at the workshop paid his way with jobbing work . . . and the customers were happy as they had the boss-bloke on the digger . . . and the truck . . . and the little grader, you get my drift. Cheers.
Wintertime is just a battle. Cold and nasty, we burn 25 full cord of wood in the boiler so making sure there's enough for next year is a part time job. Once the woods tighten up with the cold weather coming I'll be getting a tractor trailer load delivered, should be half of next years wood. The rest I'm going to get from a feller with a processor. As for the downsizing, I only have one builder that will be annoying about a one man show but I really don't like working for him anyway lol. I feel like it's the right thing to do!
Thanks for the updates, I have been a one man show since 89 except for a short stretch when I had 2 excavators in 95, didn't seem like It put anymore money in the pot to speak of. Just traded more money and had less free time. I feel for you guys working in the cold climates, got a taste of that as a kid when I used to live in northern AZ and for a couple of yrs when I worked in CD`s neighborhood during the oil shale boom in the 80`s. The average temps so far this month have been mid to high 60`s with the lows in the upper 30`s and I`m ok with that. All we use for heat is wood as well, takes a whole 3 to 4 cords. Hope you have a great year!
Your parts sound nice ddigger, those temperatures would be easy to take, plus the wood consumption is nice too! I've always thought you had a nice little gig going there. It's nice to have a niche like that, plus when you do great work like you do it doesn't take long for the word to travel, then having enough work is never an issue!
Keep up the good work Nedly, I really enjoy this thread it's nice to see pics from a different part of NY.
I honestly could spend hours looking at all the pages over and over again, Great pics Nedly, you do outstanding work.
Thanks guys! I'll keep them coming when I get them, nothing very fun going on this week, very cold with high temps around 0. Yuck!
Busted the 490 out huh? Does that ol' girl just stay at your pit? I just crested 9000 hrs on mine, replaced about everything on it one time or another. They are good old machines though. Im having a 160 delivered tomorrow for a "try & buy" I'm pretty excited about that.
Ya our 490 is just a pit machine, very rarely goes anywhere. Did you buy the 160?
I did! having a heating cab with a radio is pretty amazing. Really makes operating in the winter a whole lot more comportable!
We need pics!
1-18-2014
I hear ya old and worn. Haven't done much since then but snow and ice management. Frost is going out, and things are drying up so it looks like we are going to be digging this coming week. Ill get some pics, I promise!!!!
Need help deciding on a truck. So we've started the downsizing process, and some new oppurtunity lies on the horizon. Its a little bit scary, but exciting at the same time. I will go into more detail later on after things are more final. The Mack left yesterday, it was bought back by the dealer we bought it from, it was definitely bitter sweet. I would have loved to keep it but a person can only do so much. It makes more sense for me to be on iron and hire out trucking, then for me to try and do both. I am keeping a single axle to move equipment and for short hauls, I will have the quarry deliver to a stockpile location and short haul to jobs from there. It has proved to be a succesful method for us in the past. So the decision is down to one of 2 trucks. The GMC 7500: We are the only owner 33K GVW 3116 cat 250HP RT6613 road ranger 10' box with air gate and elec. tarp pintle with air and elec. 69,000 original miles The Ford L9000: We are the 3rd owner, first was ryder (tractor) then an older fellow who turned it into a dump and ran it for a paving company. He was a stickler on maintenace and it shows, its a cream puff. (does smoke at low idle, previous owner had fuel turned up I suspect this is the source) 35KGVW L10 Cummins 280HP 10 speed road ranger. 10'HD box with air gate (3 shoots) and elec. tarp has air and elec. to rear, needs a good pintle plate. 275,000 miles Im torn here, I know the better truck for me is the Ford, but I know everything that has ever been done to the GMC. The 3116 is basically obsolote so parts/rebuild could cost more than the truck is worth, plus its smaller than the duramax in my dads truck. Its only like 6.9 liter and 600 ft/lbs torque, not really enough for my area, it has always done OK, but it works hard. The L10 is making a lot more torque, nearly double. Parts and rebuild are more readily available and it has a lot better reputation. I am a little concerned about the smoke but the previous owner had the fuel turned up for more power, so Im hoping that its just getting more fuel than it can burn. For instance, coming down a 12% grade loaded, I slow down and it starts to blow white smoke pretty good. After leaving the stop sign at the bottom the smoke starts to clear up and eventually disappears when you start to pull. I am calling a diesel shop in the morning about getting it in for service and getting it looked at. So given this info, which truck is the best option? I was thinking the GMC but now Im leaning toward the Ford. For hauling 8-10 ton in the hills and moving the 110 on the trailer I think the L10 is going to be a lot better. Thanks for the input!
I think you might be letting your emotions dictate here. The GMC may be harder to rebuild (which I doubt- when was the last time it was hard to get parts for a Cat?) but it has almost no miles compared to a truck that has 275k. I know that some smaller Cats are troublesome (not sure which one/s) but the Cummins is showing signs of an issue already (even though 275k is not a lot for that motor). Are you sure it's not blowing blue smoke on decel? Why would it be over fueling if the throttle is closed (as in a decel situation)? I think you are wise to have it checked out. Then, hopefully you will know for sure what's going on with it. I would actually be a bit afraid of a "turned up" diesel. When they over fuel they tend to make a lot of heat. Heat is bad! If you had a good picture of the expected life of that little Cummins it would make it easier to make a good decision. On another note, you said the Ford is a converted tractor, and that it needs a buck plate. It may have air to the rear but the TP valve on a truck is different than a tractor. There are other differences between a truck and tractor as well.
Just curious what's the difference? I would assume pulling a pintle or 5th wheel trailer with air brakes would take the same setup?:beatsme
I would get the Ford checked out, but I would lean heavily towards it. The L10 is nearly bulletproof. I have run them nearly 20 yrs in what I'm sure is the hardest or nearly the hardest service a single axle truck ever sees. As a fertilizer spreader it's not unusual to be running at the governor in 2nd or 3rd gear and run into a patch of mud so suddenly that it chokes off before you can hit the clutch, or worse, but it happens a few times a year, you stomp the clutch at the right moment and it runs backwards. The '86 model I bought in '96 ran until a few weeks before the end of the season in June 2012 when it dropped a valve. I replaced it with an '88 model with about 500,000 less miles, and no off-hwy miles. An ex-tractor is perfectly suited for pulling an air braked trailer, as a truck has no TP (tractor protection) valve at all, and one must be installed for it to have all the trailer brake functions, basically converting it into a tractor brake system. However, a tractor is fine with no trailer, obviously, since you can bobtail.
Thanks for the replies fellas. Im taking the Ford to a diesel shop on Tuesday, hes going to investigate the smoke, service it and give it a good looking over. That way whether I sell it or keep it it will be either good for piece of mind or a good selling point. I have always loved Macks, and we have had good luck with them in the past so I may sell both trucks and pick up a clean older Mack. I know a lot of guys dont like them, but they are tough trucks!
How's things in the north country Ned?
Thanks for asking! Things are going well, pretty steady. Some big changes... I took a position with the town highway dept, and we have a partner who owns an excavating, paving and logging business joining forces with us in our business. I am still working afternoons and weekends, but the majority of the work gets done when I am not around. Ive been doing mostly small jobs, deliveries, estimating etc. Between us and the partner there isn't much that can't be accomplished, and we have a ton of manpower/resources. I don't have much for pics but I'll try to remember to grab some. Im finishing up a little meadow job this afternoon so I will try to grab a couple there.
Looks like you guys are getting some snow!? How is it in your area?
We've only gotten a couple inches, but out west of us theyre getting hammered! The buffalo area has gotten 5+ feet with more on the way!
This is a great thread Nedly05. What truck did you decide to keep? How's the down sizing worked out ?
I kept all of them! I came back to the family business after 6 months. The other job was good. Good pay, good guys etc just wasn't for me. I'll try to get some pics up soon. I post in Instagram quite a bit. My user name is nedwhitney. Thanks for checking in!
So I bought a volvo EC140BLC, its an 05 with 5200hrs. It has a hydraulic coupler, hydraulic thumb, tilt bucket and 2 digging buckets. I had been looking for a while but everything was just out of my price range, or salesman wouldnt call me back. I was hesitant on this machine with the hours, but I decided to go for it and Im glad I did. Very smooth comfortable and powerful. Decent on fuel as well. This winter I'll do a few things to make it my own but for now she needs to stay out and earn her keep.
Congrats on the purchase Nedly!:drinkup That's a nice size machine for a lot of projects, easy to mob too.
Hey Nedly, looks pretty darn nice and wow so well equipped. It will be nice to have all those bells and whistles, at times. give us a report once you have been moving some dirt with it.
Man what a setup... Triple axle tag too. How about that tilt bucket? You like it? Guess you have a GP bucket too...... How's the Mack pull it? You're right around 70,000 lbs. aren't you. Looks good making that turn.
Thanks guys! I upgraded my trailer this year as well, went with the 25 ton mostly for the deck length. I was nervous that it was going to stop me from going into some of the tight spots we go but it isnt much different to get around with that the 20 ton was. What you see in the pic weighs right around 65000. Mack pulls it great. I love the tilt bucket, wouldnt be without one. I have one on my kubota mini as well. I have 36" and 20" tooth buckets as well
Good to see another Volvo fan the machine looks like it was well cared for and well equipped. Does your tilt have 1 or 2 cylinders? We have a one cylinder on our kx080 and does not hold very good. Not sure if it is the single cylinder or the relief. One more question for you, how high are you on the tag?
The volvo has 2 tilt cylinders. Our kubota 121 has just one tilt cylinder and its not as rigid as the geith with 2. The auxillarys on the kubota work nicer though, the kubota has the proportioning switch on the joystick allows for smoother operation and feathering than the switch on the volvo which is just on or off. Im getting used to it though.
I am not sure why Volvo does not put the proportioning switch on the smaller machines. Our 160 does not have it either but the 300 does. I wonder if that is something you could change by changing the joystick. We can work the thumb with the foot pedal or the buttons on ours. I guess you answered my question about the tilt bucket. I do wish it held better than it does.
I would imagine you could change the joystick to something aftermarket. Volvo doesn't offer anything other than the foot pedal. I'd definitely be interested in something a little smoother.
Our 300 has the proportional switch. I don't see why you could not put a 300 joystick in there but I am no mechanic. Somebody smarter than me would need to help you out on that.
Bump!
Hi RCTech9, we're very busy up here at the moment, lots of site work to do yet. The weather has been phenomenal and it looks to stay decent on the 10 day forecast. I have a 3 1/2 man crew, I'm the 1/2 man as I am still recovering from back surgery so I cant really do too much but I do what I can. Busy week this week, I have Two foundations to do as well as a new septic system, dywell repair, relocate some utilities, and start a clearing job. Supposed to do a garage pad with power and water, but that may wait til next week at this point. I know I havent been posting pics much, but you can find some on instagram, user name nedwhitney, also on my business facebook page for Wade Whitney Inc. Thanks for the interest!
Its been a whole year Ned! How are things working out with the business? Is the Volvo still holding up? Happy Thanksgiving
Things are going well, been fairly busy though nothing like last year. Ive had 2 back surgeries in the past year so that has really slowed me down personally. Volvo has been plagued with problems but we are working the bugs out. I have a new undercarriage sitting in the yard for it, and the digging bucket needs to be rebuilt. All in all its a good machine, as with any older machine it seems like there's always things to fix. How are things in Alaska? Happy Holidays!
Glad to see you surface nedly05 been a while. Sorry about the back and troubles but anyone in business knows what you are talking about. Seems some of have a few extra knocks at times.