Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some random work pictures.

Lee-online ยท 2010-11-01 21:27

Here is a TimberKing i am currently working on. The engine, a C9 is getting rebuilt, the rad and cooler are getting cleaned and checked, the main pumps are ok, just needed adjusted and a couple of leaks fixed. I pulled the main 7 bank valve. completely went through and resealed. I still need to reseal the swivel, saw motor and replace the boom and stick along with some other minor repairs.

Replies316
  1. #1Lee-online2010-11-01 21:32

    D6D with a final drive issue. A 436 that hit a bridge. It is Not worth fixing.

  2. #2Lee-online2010-11-01 21:37

    A Peterson that is sold and is heading overseas.

  3. #3willie592010-11-01 21:43

    Oh man, I think it's safe to say there is no cone seal left at all on that D6D. Geez. Interesting looking solenoid valve body on that Timber Thinger.

  4. #4Lee-online2010-11-01 22:07

    3204. Obviously junk.

  5. #5Lee-online2010-11-01 22:34

    New 3406 going into a D8n. When I remove the engine, I leave the torque and pumps in the machine. Unbolt them and hang on a come-along and ratchet straps with a long strap over the roof. To tip the hard nose, Unpin the rear pins, disconnect the rad hoses and then crank without fuel while holding the blade in lift.

  6. #6Lee-online2010-11-01 23:16

    D9R getting a complete power train including undercarriage. 3408 with torque and pumps.

  7. #7willie592010-11-01 23:35

    Ok, I'll take a wag at it. That 3204, I don't see evidence of head gasket failure. There's no erosion marks from failed compression seal rings of head gasket. So, I speculate spalling from coolant? Maybe cracked liners? Cracked head? The D8, the pic showing the convertor housing and the two pumps hanging by straps, how the heck did you get that machine that clean? I've washed machines for hours and not get them that clean! What the heck is the trick for that?

  8. #8Lee-online2010-11-01 23:45

    I don't remember the 3204 but usually it is run until it doesn't run anymore. as for washing, Pull all the pans and any sheet metal you need to. Wash the worst off with high pressure, high volume fire hose. then wash with steam cleaner, soap and different nozzles on the wand. We also pull out over a loading dock at the wash rack to get underneath. A dozer with no blade will hang over the edge more than enough to wash behind the torque. It is so much nicer to work on a clean machine. We sometimes tow them to the wash rack after we have stripped them down.

  9. #9firetruck dvr.2010-11-02 13:42

    Great pics and details!! keep em comming!!

  10. #10Stevenbrla2010-11-02 16:09

    x2 All I'm thinking is... I'm glad someone's business isn't dependant on me putting ANY of that back together! :notworthy:notworthy

  11. #11jld2010-11-02 17:20

    :notworthy Great pics. I wouldn"t want to tackle that job. I'll just stick to my toy (komatsu d21a dozer) real simple to work on it. luck with yours jld

  12. #12Lee-online2010-11-27 20:21

    775E getting a Cat certified powertrain rebuild. It is 5 years old and has 25K hours. Radiator, Engine, torque. trans, diff and finals removed to get rebuilt. Front wheels, and brakes need to be done along with a bunch of additional repairs. Machine looks small now it is stripped down and is sat on the floor. Looking over the front bumper through where the engine, torque and trans is supposed to be. Once it was stripped down it was light enough to be took out side and washed off better.

  13. #13Lee-online2010-11-27 22:28

    I rebuilt five 621 military scrapers a few years ago. Took them to the frame and rebuilt them. Replaced all hoses, bearing and electrical along with a list of other stuff. Each one cost around 100K when it was done. I also did a D7G and two 988B shipping container lift trucks.

  14. #14Randy882010-12-05 16:42

    Impressive, keep them coming, this is an excellent thread to be able to see others work enviroment and equipment tore apart, spotless cleaning job on the D8.

  15. #15Lee-online2010-12-05 17:08

    I'll take some more pics of the 775E on Monday. Since this pic I removed the fuel tank to get the rust cut out and re plated, the hyd tank to get replaced due to rust, the front and rear struts to get rebuilt, the steering linkages to get pins and bushing, the hoist cyl are off to get machined and resealed. The cracks in the the front frame upper structure are getting repaired along with new trunnions getting welded on and some bores will be align bored. We just pulled a 990H into the shop to get a Cat certified powertrain rebuild along with any other repairs needed.

  16. #16Lee-online2010-12-06 18:47

    Still working on the 775E

  17. #17Lee-online2010-12-07 16:32

    A couple of the welder cutting out the lift cylinder trunnions. Squared up and tacked one on.

  18. #18jughead2010-12-09 07:27

    work pics dang that stuff is huge. feller could get hurt big time working on it. worked on automobiles all my life. skinned places are the norm. this stuff will maim or kill the careless.

  19. #19Lee-online2010-12-10 17:05

    Getting more of it back together. I need to stay away from the front because the welder it still working up there on the front suspension mounts. A-frame is shimmed, 1 strut installed, Both finals and trans installed. certified rebuilt trans. Cracks in frame where front suspension strut mount. Cracks are cut out, welded and then reinforcement plats added. This is a procedure the Cat engineer told us to do. We don't just scab plates onto frames and booms. 3412E just back from the dyno. It is also a certified rebuild. 730 HP @ 2000RPM. it still needs the harness, torque and pumps installed before it goes in.

  20. #20Lee-online2010-12-10 17:08

    Actually when its big you know you cant lift it by hand so you don't even try. Our cranes get used constantly all day.

  21. #21Lee-online2010-12-10 17:49

    990H also getting a Cat certified powertrain rebuild. It has almost 20,000 hours and was only running on 11 cylinders. This and the 775E belong to the same customer. It was shipped without the ROPS, cab, bucket and the wheels came on another truck. It was just started by my coworker this week. Engine and torque removed first. The engine take the longest to rebuild so they come out first. While the machine still runs, it lifts the front with the loader arms, then blocking is placed under the frame. The steering lock is alway in place when blocked up. Now with the weight hanging in front of the blocking, our crane will now lift the rear of the machine and stands will now hold it up under the rear frame. Front and rear axles removed today. Front is washed and is starting to get rebuilt. The rear needs washed but is too heavy for our forklift to carry to the washrack. It is 15,000 lbs and our forklift struggled to carry the front axle at 13,000lbs.

  22. #22JimBruce422010-12-10 17:56

    Nice work, thanks for sharing. what are you guys doing to the 345 ME next too the 775?

  23. #23Lee-online2010-12-10 18:13

    That was just sold so it is getting a few things repaired.

  24. #24Lee-online2010-12-20 16:46

    Engine set in the other day and almost all hooked up. Front struts rebuilt and installed. Rad set in today but needs hooked up.

  25. #25Lee-online2010-12-20 17:24

    Hoses connected and routed, pumps installed and wheel hubs mounted onto struts. Behind the cab are the ECM's. The engine ECM is on the Engine.

  26. #26Lee-online2010-12-20 17:35

    D11R carrydozer getting some work done to it. 992G getting a powertrain rebuild. Looks like the rad is in the process of being pulled out. No more pics until the new year because i am off until Jan 3.

  27. #27jimrr2010-12-21 05:37

    too nice to go get it dirty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  28. #28Lee-online2010-12-22 19:43

    When it is all done it is going to the paint shop to get painted. Once at the quarry it will be filthy just like all the other equipment. They run the equipment around the clock 6 days a week and Don't maintain or wash them near what they should.

  29. #29Lee-online2011-01-10 21:46

    Well, after my Christmas vacation i started back on the 775 and with a little help we got it done on Friday. It was picked up today and went to the paint shop. after it was up and running on Thursday, i tested everything and it was all ok but then it suddenly lost steering. The steering pump crapped out. A new pump, cleaned some lines and changed the filters and it was ok.

  30. #30Muffler Bearing2011-01-11 21:22

    wow, that pump shelled! Man, you work on some big stuff. Thanks for all the great pics

  31. #31Lee-online2011-01-13 16:50

    Here is a diff i just removed from a Lull telehandler. Customer just purchased this used telehandler and the diff had chunks in it when it was serviced. Lull are JLG's so thats why we have it. I just got it apart and still need to get a price quote made up.

  32. #32alrman2011-01-13 23:25

    Aussie term for that axle assy : "Wallaby Ted's brother" (Roo - Ted) At first glance, that last picture makes that swivel housing (rhs) look as if it's broken

  33. #33RonG2011-01-14 04:37

    I need one of those for my old Ariens snowblower I hit a ground rod the last storm and the shear pins didn't shear.They may be bolts,I didn't check them after I got it.The auger spins nice and free by hand and the driveshaft doesn't move a bit.Oh well,someday I will find another one that has a bad engine or something and I will be back in business.Ron G

  34. #34inyati132011-01-15 07:55

    Oh, I do love that line, "in a van, down by the river". That act on SNL is my all time favorite. In regard to the pictures, they are very telling as to what goes on in the repair of big machines. Is this a franchise shop or what?

  35. #35Lee-online2011-01-15 09:54

    I work at a Cat dealer. We do work on other brands that our customers own and we don't turn away work. Chris Farley was very funny.

  36. #36inthedirt2011-01-15 12:48

    ...and the previous owner says, "Well, I'll be... I never heard any strange noises or anything! I religiously serviced that machine and operated it with kid gloves! You must have done that when you were backing it off the trailer after I had the money in hand. Boy, too bad for you..."

  37. #37Lee-online2011-01-20 16:29

    We are still swamped at work and i haven't been taking my camera but i did snap a pic of this R1600G that showed up for some work. These normally don't leave the mine let alone come to the shop but, the wait time was less at the shop so here it is.

  38. #38Bigironjim2011-01-20 18:35

    Final Drive I like the final drive full of "organic material". Wheres this shop at?

  39. #39Lee-online2011-03-10 18:53

    Finaly took some pics today right before i left. 980G i am working on now, getting a rebuild on the engine and trans and radiator. repairing the valve and rebuilding the lift cylinders. This machine was filthy but the wash rack guys did a great job on it. I touched up some they missed but still could not get under the cab. Cab is pulled, all fluids drained and started to disconnecting stuff on the engine. Should be out tomorrow.

  40. #40Lee-online2011-03-10 19:02

    988F getting an emission up grade engine. from a tier0 to a tier1. Two 623 we also just done. also a 725 split getting the hitch done.

  41. #41EGS2011-03-10 19:06

    I like your pics. What is going on with the M grader in the background?

  42. #42Lee-online2011-03-10 19:12

    The rear frame was align bored and new bearings were installed. These are plastic bearings and they actually wore away the metal. A 140m getting some major update done. It was stripped down to basically the bare frame. A quick look outside, All waiting to come into the shop. On the left is customers equipment and on the right is new and rental. We are swamped right now and have been working 10-11 hour days.

  43. #43JimBruce422011-03-10 19:52

    Nice update, Good to see you're busy. I heard today one of our quarries bought a new 990, and thought I remembered you saying that you work for CB. I don't know if that quarry does business with you guys (I think they used to) or Ransome. When a customer buys a machine that big, does it typicaly go straight from the factory, or does it stop at your shops first?

  44. #44Lee-online2011-03-10 21:03

    Big equipment can go to the job or the shop. It all depends. Sometimes there is dealer added option that need to be installed so they go to the shop other times there are know issues and so they go to the shop to get tested before the customer sees them. Generally its cheaper to ship and assemble at the job.

  45. #45Lee-online2011-03-12 22:10

    Pulled the engine and trans as a unit on Friday. It was a tight fit with the pumps and suction tubes still on but it is easier than removing them in the machine Pumps, left most is the hyd pump, then steering pump, then trans pump and the small one is the pilot pump. The fan pump is on the engine. Pumps were remove and are getting rebuilt, engine was sent to our rebuild shop and the trans will be rebuilt here at our branch.

  46. #46Lee-online2011-03-23 21:00

    Well, today i connected the engine and trans, installed all new or rebuilt pump and added the new accessories, hoses, mounts etc. Picked it up with two cranes and set it in. Man handled the trans mounts and bolted them on. They weigh 50+lbs each and take a little bit of azz to get them in place while the trans hangs on the crane. Now the time consuming task of connecting everything else.

  47. #47quackattak2011-03-24 03:14

    Was wondering how many hours are on the 980, and did anything fail. Great pics and info.

  48. #48RonG2011-03-24 04:13

    Great pic of things we seldom get to see.Does it take two people to run the two cranes or can one person run both controllers?Ron G

  49. #49Lee-online2011-03-24 17:53

    The 980 was approaching 20K hours so it was time for a freshened up powertrain before the quarry kicks into action in the spring. I used both cranes with one controller in each hand until it was above the machine then two people lower it into place. more due to watching as it is lowered because it is a tight fit.

  50. #50CM19952011-03-24 20:48

    Interesting pics Lee, thanks for posting.

  51. #51TOM V2011-03-25 15:54

    Those are some good pictures,Nice Work.

  52. #52Lee-online2011-03-25 17:40

    We sold a few 329D's to a customer who wants single grousers. The tracks were sent to our track shop to get the shoes swapped. Much quicker than doing it manually.

  53. #53KW850&T800H2011-03-25 18:05

    Lee- I am wondering if I can have permission from you to use the '**** on Tree Huggers' photo in my videos for youtube, I will give you full credit for you. Thanks, love the pics.

  54. #54Lee-online2011-03-25 19:32

    Sure, and no need for credit.

  55. #55KW850&T800H2011-03-25 19:48

    Thanks! I'll still give credit, thank you so much!

  56. #56EGS2011-03-25 21:19

    Nice pictures, thanks for putting them up. This is a piece of the heavy equipment industry that most of us don't see very often or don't see ever. You can come and put a set of those single grousers on my 345D any time you want.

  57. #57Lee-online2011-03-30 18:11

    Does anyone know what this is?

  58. #58Bluox2011-03-30 18:21

    Drive off d-7e?

  59. #59HarrisEquipment2011-03-30 18:50

    I'd have to say a Transmission, but from what I don't know. I do enjoy your pics of the big yellow iron.

  60. #60hvy 1ton2011-03-30 19:20

    Generator pack off a d7e?

  61. #61Lee-online2011-03-30 19:58

    Thats what it is. It sits down in the dozer between the final drives. It contains two electric motors and the diff steer. This in the generator, tucked down here.

  62. #62JimBruce422011-03-30 20:10

    Are you deconstructing it to get familiar with the new 7's? It looks like it's brand new, can't possibly be broke already is it?

  63. #63Lee-online2011-03-30 20:27

    It is getting an update done. It is stripped down ready for the engineer who is flying in to inspect and show us what to do. It is brand new, only 4 hours, It has not had the factory shipping material removed yet.

  64. #64JimBruce422011-03-30 20:30

    OK cool, thanks for the reply. This of course brings another question. it's 4 hours old and already Cat's got an update for it?

  65. #65Lee-online2011-03-30 20:46

    When a new product is released, there are things they find over time, now that the product is in the market place, that need changed, fixed, strengthened etc. Sometimes its a problem with the assembly procedure at the factory other times its a design or part issue. These updates are implemented at the factory and others are done on machines already sold by the dealer. Sometimes it is done only after it fails but most times it is done before it can fail. Totally new products like the D7e and M graders have more than most when they first come out. Cat is always improving procedures and parts so sometimes these updates can be for a 5 year old machine. These updated are to improve the machines.

  66. #66curb guy2011-03-30 21:55

    Awesome photos! Please show more! I assume from your avatar you were military? First cav,maybe?

  67. #67Lee-online2011-04-02 19:57

    Yes, 1ST Cav. I can take all kinds of pics but i see this stuff so often it doesn't seem all that interesting. Any things you want to see? Let me know and I'm sure we will get it in the shop at some point.

  68. #68curb guy2011-04-02 22:57

    Thats cool.A very good friend of mine was in the 1ST Cav,2ND 5TH from '68-'69.Thank you for your service! I really enjoy seeing other peoples work.I've done some pretty big jobs but NOTHING to the extent that you do.Again, really enjoy the photos!

  69. #69Lee-online2011-04-03 09:47

    2/5 was the unit i was in. 97'-01'

  70. #70alan cox2011-04-03 17:37

    absolutely awesome. humbled me in my old age.. there was a day i loved being in the middle of all that.. its so nice to see someone is still doing this. i have a old do more i need to put reverse bands in and it was freaking me out thinking about getting it on when it warms up. feel a little more confident now. mine is cake compared to this. jeeeeze. quit wining.. ok ok ok. hi from luther mi

  71. #71Lee-online2011-04-04 17:30

    Here is a new Tier4 interim in a D6T we are doing some training on. It is packed in there but it should not be too hard to work on or diagnose with the amount of sensors it has. BTW, this is a common rail C9.3

  72. #72JimBruce422011-04-04 17:34

    whew... there's not a lot of room in there, eh? Surprised those wires are so close to the DPF, no worries of them melting? I spy something interesting behind the 6t, with it's counterweight off.

  73. #73k.key2011-04-04 17:37

    That does not look like fun!!! Great pics though Lee as always...

  74. #74Lee-online2011-04-04 17:53

    We did a regen on it and checked the temps in the compartment and found the DPF was 400F on the outside. After a regen the engine stays running to cool everything down, even if you turn it off and take out the key. There is an emergency shutdown though, Turn the key off and hold it to the left to shut it down. That is a 385C behind the D6T, to the right of it is a 930H and a couple of 980H.

  75. #75Lee-online2011-04-04 17:59

    We have a few dozer's on the lot. D6R with sweeps, D6K on the right, D5K to the left. There was a D8T, D7E and the D6T we are working on.

  76. #76Lee-online2011-04-08 18:39

    Here is what i started working on today. An early 1990 Barber Green 225B. You will see why it is in the shop.

  77. #77Lee-online2011-04-08 18:51

    Here is what is wrong with it. Clutch disk blew apart. It should also have teeth on the outer edge that lock into the ring on the flywheel. Clutch assembly in bell housing. Disk gets sandwiched between these plates. Notice the shaft is worn where it engages into the pilot bearing. Teeth worn where clutch disk locks in the flywheel Now i need to look up the parts on the microfiche because it is not in Cats system.

  78. #78Lee-online2011-04-08 20:20

    Couple more pics. 988B, split getting align bored. Also getting Torque rebuilt, engine repaired and some misc work. 583H pipelayer. Liner came loose. Decided to pull engine to overhaul it along with the torque. Recoil tube broken on a D8R. This in not common but it isn't uncommon. This will get welded back together in our weld shop. Other half with the spring and parts. Washed in the "tornado" parts washer.

  79. #79Bluox2011-04-08 21:59

    Lee, Did you get a picture of the gen set on the 7E? Thanks Bob

  80. #80Lee-online2011-04-08 22:16

    Sorry Bob, just the pic in post #62. The generator was not removed, just the drive unit. I do have a pic of the two ECM's for the Generator and the drive motors. They are mounted on the power inverter.

  81. #81willie592011-04-08 22:34

    Looks like a Rockford clutch fiber disk Lee. Palmer Johnson.

  82. #82Lee-online2011-04-08 22:44

    Found the group number of the pump drive and sent that to www.minnpar.com . They faxed the part sheet so i can now order what i need.

  83. #83willie592011-04-08 22:51

    Sweet, MinnPar is a good outfit to work with.

  84. #84posjr4082011-04-08 23:04

    Those are some cool pics. Looks like you enjoy your job!

  85. #85Lee-online2011-04-08 23:19

    Thanks. I really do enjoy my job, if i didn't i would find another line of work. I work with a great bunch of guys who all seem to get along. The bosses are ok and pretty much let us do our thing. Sure, there are crappy days when you are mired in grease and dirt but they are rare.

  86. #86Lee-online2011-04-11 19:58

    A couple more of the 583H. This is a cool machine. I like to see them being repaired the right way so they get plenty more years out of it. Looking over it, there are a few differences between it and a D8K. Most noticeable is no E-bar. Side frames are mounted solid. A transmission out of a 725. Rebuilt, tested and ready to go back in. These are a PITA to remove and i am glad I did not have to remove this one.

  87. #87koldsteele2011-04-11 21:57

    Lee you got to let me know who your cleanup guy is ..................I would offer him steaks and beer ..Its nice to work that clean.. You should tip more than 10 percent ...

  88. #88Lee-online2011-04-17 21:06

    here is my first attempt at scanning. I have a box of pictures from my army days. Removing a blown Mercedes engine from a snow cat in Bosnia.

  89. #89Lee-online2011-04-17 22:09

    Here is our HEMTT wrecker. We used it to recover just about everything from every situation over the course or the year. It didn't help that we deployed from TX and most of the guys had never seen snow let alone drive in it.

  90. #90Lee-online2011-04-17 22:15

    Playing around in the 88. This must have been H8 training at FT Knox.

  91. #91willie592011-04-17 22:45

    Great pics Lee.

  92. #92quackattak2011-04-18 00:44

    How did they ruin a Mercedes diesel?

  93. #93Lee-online2011-04-18 19:21

    Grunts can and will destroy any and everything. They rolled the machine over onto its side. Without calling for backup, they got it upright and then fired it right up. As we all know, the oil had filled a cylinder and as soon as it started it bent the rod and then threw it through the block. This is a nice little engine, it runs so smooth and quiet even though it is right next to you under a fibreglass housing. Here is a crappy pic on me and a buddy working on it. I am on the left in the coveralls. Notice my tools, thats all of them, no impacts just basic sockets and wrenches.

  94. #94quackattak2011-04-19 01:32

    Good pic lee, my run around car is a 240d with the 4cyl benz. I don't think you need many more tools than what you have to keep one going. Interesting the different applications the MB diesel are in.

  95. #95Lee-online2011-04-21 16:55

    D5h getting a new undercarriage. Adjusters were resealed. It is waiting on approval to repair the e-bar pins and bearings. 330c, boom removed for welding repair work. Also repairing a list of problems found

  96. #96Lee-online2011-04-21 17:05

    A drive through the yard. Some more excavators getting track shoes. These are 320D and are getting double grouser shoes. The 329D and 336D got single grouser. A customer purchased 15 excavators and is replacing the shoes on them all. 365C just showed up today. This tired looking D10N has been in the yard for a few months. Not sure what the story is on it.

  97. #97EGS2011-04-21 21:23

    Are those excavators will the different shoes going on a pipeline project?

  98. #98Lee-online2011-04-21 22:04

    Yes.

  99. #99Lee-online2011-04-28 19:00

    Boom from the 330c Getting repaired. This is a cat approved repair following their procedures. Machine has almost 10K hours and the boom cracked. The bottom plate is removed to access the baffle. inspection inside found no other cracks, just the one on the side that was visible. Boom is upside down. Bottom plate section is replaced with new when cut off even though it was not cracked. Specs for the plate are in the repair procedure. All seams are cleaned and beveled. An original weld on the side is cut out. All welds have a backing strip to weld through to. Side plates beveled. This is the baffle inside that strengthens the boom.

  100. #100Lee-online2011-04-28 19:21

    blocks destroyed so they cannot be used again. These are part of an emission upgrade project funded by uncle sam. These are from tier 0 machines that got upgraded to tier 1. Parts from the engines went into our used parts system but the blocks had to be destroyed and documented so the government would pay us. 992 bucket we acquired cheap. In needs some work done before it is usable.

  101. #101RobVG2011-04-28 19:56

    So no fishplate on the side of the boom? Common addition around here.

  102. #102Lee-online2011-04-28 20:06

    Yes, those are put on the sides after it is all welded back together. The fish plates and bottom plate were cut and bent at a local place we get out metal from. We just sent them the prints and they make them. Much cleaner having them do in on their plasma table and brake.

  103. #103Lee-online2011-04-30 22:00

    D8N i just started on. Trans slips, found broken clutch retainers in the case. stripped off sheet metal, pans and draw bar so it can get washed before the trans and torque come out for a rebuild. Looking at the torque through the floor. Best to wash the machine before opening it up and getting dirt into everything. Couple of 773F's in the yard along with a new water tank.

  104. #104Lee-online2011-05-04 18:40

    Boom is almost done. Fish plates just about done except for the stress points.

  105. #105smittysrepair2011-05-04 22:04

    That is some very nice work you have been doing there Lee! Do you guys do your engines and power trains in your shop or do they get sent out to another branch/location for recon and testing?

  106. #106nowing752011-05-05 12:36

    What welding process did you use on the boom repair? Dual shield? Looks great Jason

  107. #107Lee-online2011-05-05 17:59

    We used to have a dyno and trans test bench but we moved them to another branch. We still do rebuild engines, trans, final and all other components. We just sent them out to the other branches for testing if needed. The majority of engines go to our rebuild shop though. We don't have the time or manpower. while the engine is getting built, another machine or four can get worked on.

  108. #108Lee-online2011-05-05 18:14

    I am not the welder, just the mechanic so i am not sure. They use a mig gun with argon and just change the wire for different applications. Tubes all installed on boom. Just need to press in new bearings. Plates span the weld seams The corners of the plates and welds are ground down to remove stress points. I wish i could weld like this.

  109. #109TOM V2011-05-05 19:56

    Excellent work!

  110. #110smittysrepair2011-05-05 22:30

    I would like to second that! Lee I am impressed with the work I am seeing from you and your branches welders. Tom V it looks like they may have some welders up there with Lee that just might fall into the same class of people with amazing welding skills as you!!

  111. #111mitch5042011-05-05 22:51

    Don'cha, though?

  112. #112quackattak2011-05-06 09:28

    Lee, 980c or 988 in the back ground of pic #2

  113. #113Lee-online2011-05-06 17:50

    Our welders at our branch do awesome work. They have to be good to do frame repairs on haul trucks. The loader in the background is a 988B. post 79 shows it split getting align bored. It was just finished today.

  114. #114JBGASH2011-05-06 17:59

    Lee, I wish your shop was close to me in Kansas City. We always have something in need of repair.

  115. #115Mack1852011-05-06 20:37

    You're on the wrong side of the state lol. Fabick Cat over in Fenton, Mo is a monster dealership.

  116. #116JBGASH2011-05-07 00:28

    Where are you located Mack185? We are located in Higginsville. How is the work holding out in the St Louis area? KC area is slow.

  117. #117Mack1852011-05-09 21:29

    I'm right outside of St. Louis. Private jobs seem to be going pretty slow but there is a lot of Interstate work going on. I was just in one of the more popular quarries around here today, a lot of trucks getting asphalt at the plant and I saw 1 truck getting rock. Not a good sign.

  118. #118OldandWorn2011-05-10 18:56

    Just came across this thread and checked it out from the beginning. Amazing job Lee!! A friend bought a bunch of ex coal mining land in Western Maryland which includes a HUGE shop building. Now I can visualize what went on in there and why the doors are so dang high.

  119. #119Lee-online2011-05-10 21:50

    A couple of years ago they were talking about expanding our shop. Then the economy slowed down and it never happened. We have enough room to bring 992's and 777's in the shop. we can pull a 773/775 in and raise and pin the bed up. Yet we still run out of room. Mostly because of the time it takes to repair the equipment. I'll have 3-4 major projects going on at a time, those pieces of equipment take up space. You can never have too much room in a shop.

  120. #120inthedirt2011-05-10 22:19

    amen!

  121. #121Lee-online2011-05-12 19:12

    D6n had leaking pivot shaft seals. They had been filled with grease but it ruined the bearings and side frame. They had to be align bored. Also put new pins and bearings in the E-bar and the main C-frame pins and bearings along with pins and bearings on the cylinders and pitch link. The welder has a new Boretech welder he is using. We had one years ago that broke and now we just got a new one.

  122. #122Lee-online2011-05-12 19:39

    D8 from a landfill needs some work done.

  123. #123Lee-online2011-05-12 19:44

    Going to need a new engine, new cab and a whole lot of other parts. I rebuilt a D9R a few years ago after a fire and it is alot of work but it is still cost effective.

  124. #124JimBruce422011-05-12 19:53

    That looks like a lot of fun to fix. Trash get caught up in the engine or something?

  125. #125Lee-online2011-05-12 20:23

    They were closed and someone driving by saw flames and called the fire dept. My guess is an electrical short especially since the fires area is around the starter. Some landfills mandate the master switch is shut off if the machine is parked. They even have a strobe on the roof that is wired direct so they can tell if the switch is on or off.

  126. #126mitch5042011-05-13 01:02

    Hey Lee, this probably one of those questions where I'll feel stupid soon as you answer, but, what is the mounting ball on the front left corner of the frame? This is an outside C-frame machine, isn't it?

  127. #127rare ss2011-05-13 10:14

    awesome pics mate, thats for sharing.. whats the history on the D10N?

  128. #128Lee-online2011-05-13 18:21

    That is for the tag/stabilizer link. The link goes from the left corner of the machine to the right side of the blade. Its purpose is to remove the side to side movement of the blade. It is not used on all blade types. Here is a pic of an assembled blade that shows it.

  129. #129Lee-online2011-05-13 18:25

    Not sure but it was probably traded on a new one.

  130. #130mitch5042011-05-14 09:48

    Thanks Lee, thought it must be something like that.

  131. #131Lee-online2011-05-17 21:11

    777D getting changed from dry front brakes to wet brakes. parts not needed anymore. TL943 telehandler also getting brakes, alot smaller though. This should be a quick turn around machine.

  132. #132Blacksmoke072011-05-17 22:15

    Do both these machines come from the same company?

  133. #133Lee-online2011-05-19 21:12

    No, different customers.

  134. #134willie592011-05-19 21:30

    Hmm, haven't seen a pintle hitch on a telehandler counterweight before.

  135. #135FSERVICE2011-05-20 23:06

    atco its used to move air compressors around

  136. #136willie592011-05-21 00:26

    Yep, I figured that when I saw it, really neat idea.

  137. #137Lee-online2011-05-21 08:20

    And move light sets.

  138. #138Dualie2011-05-23 01:21

    I have a pintle hitch i can bolt on and off one of my regular forklifts. Its a pain in the rear 98% of the time its on there but its damn handy when its needed. it spends most of its life in storage.

  139. #139Neil D2011-05-23 19:21

    Lee, thanks for sharing these photos, I'm an operator but I like to do the oddjob on my machines, so I know the effort required from you guys with this sort of work. TC is a mate of mine and I reckon hes still at it at his age cos it gets him away from the hooded claw!!!!!! Best of luck, Neil

  140. #140Lee-online2011-06-03 18:25

    A couple more pics. Nothing too interesting. We are still swamped and are trying to get all the equipment fixed and sent out but as soon as we get one done, there is another one or four. Delta cable layer getting a side frame repaired. A different machine compared to what we normally see. It is based on a D5C 930H needed a new torque converter.

  141. #141Lee-online2011-06-03 18:34

    One last pic, A 740 that had leaky duo-cone seals. These have been a problem on these truck and we have done a few updates trying to fix them in the past. Now we have installed the old style seal with an adapter. They should be good now. To block the center axle, drive onto some 12x12 block under the axle you want to remove the wheels from. Then put some spacers on the rear walking beam in the stop area.

  142. #142rare ss2011-06-03 23:13

    yeh, the new style seals are heaps easier to fit but i dont think they seal as well as the earlier "O"ring type duo-cone retainers

  143. #143Lee-online2011-06-13 18:21

    330D came into the shop running rough. Customer stated push rod fell off, put back on and it keeps falling off. A quick look showed the follower was not moving. I had seen this before so i just pulled the engine and then took it apart. Found the follower had came apart, worn away and destroyed the cam and the bore it rides in in the block. Fine metal is everywhere in the engine. The HEUI pump and injectors are very susceptible to metal contamination in the oil. Priced it out and a new engine will be the best way to go if one is available. Cam wore into the body of the follower after the roller broke off. Block where the follower goes. it is chipped and worn away. Cam lobe is worn off.

  144. #144Lee-online2011-06-13 18:29

    A couple more pics. The cylinder was washed with fuel but it would be ok. Followers in a C9 have to have the head removed to remove them. Head comes off with only disconnecting a few things. Debris in oil pan. While the engine is out, I'll put a new lip seal in the pump because it is starting to leak.

  145. #145quackattak2011-06-14 00:04

    Lee, was wondering How many hours on the engine? Did you figure out a cause?

  146. #146Lee-online2011-06-14 18:00

    Only had 5000 hours. The roller lifter failed. probably the roller seized on the pin. After running the numbers, it is more cost effective to replace the engine with a new one. $27K for a new C9.

  147. #147boone2011-06-22 12:19

    Great thread. I love the behind the scenes look at what it takes to repair this heavy equip. You take this stuff apart like it's nothing!

  148. #148Lee-online2011-07-24 22:01

    Wow, its been a month sinse i posted some pics. We are still busy at work, i am still working 10 to 15 hour days. The heat is really slowing me down. And to make it a little harder for me to get on here my laptop died last week. I just picked up a new one today but it is a little different and is taking some time to get used to it.

  149. #149Lee-online2011-07-24 22:11

    775E oil cooler failed and dumped all the coolant into the hyd system. It ruined the brakes and the system needs cleaned out.

  150. #150Lee-online2011-07-24 22:21

    D11R Getting some minor repairs. 992G just got a certified powertrain rebuild.

  151. #151OldandWorn2011-07-24 22:57

    Doncha ever get to work on the bigger stuff?

  152. #152RonG2011-07-25 04:27

    I give anyone working outside credit for being able to survive in this heat.I changed a timing belt in my K car last week,I thought that I was going to die.lol.My lady chased me around with a rag wiping my face so that I could see.It took me two days after running her errands and chasing parts.I have worked outside all my life but I think that I am getting old.Ron G

  153. #153Lee-online2011-07-25 19:27

    The days over 100 are brutal. Being inside helps because we dont have the sun beating us down and a fan helps keep the sweat out of your face. I would prefere not to work on the bigger stuff. not only is everything big and heavy but the climbing wears me out, not to mention it is 20+ deg warmer up top neer the roof of the building

  154. #154Randy882011-07-26 12:37

    Do you ever wonder if the stuff to fix will ever end, I at least get to go break the stuff myself once in a while, gives a change of pace anyhow. Is most of the things you repair and replace from wear or neglect and abuse? I was just wondering seeing how you see it all from every aspect and avenue that comes along? Thanks for sharing the photos with us, I agree as well it gives us a different side of the business than we generally don't see, my equipment isn't that big or new, my shop isn't as nice either, nor as clean as yours, my gosh you can actually see the floor in most of the photos, and its clean, again my hats off to you.

  155. #155Lee-online2011-07-26 18:39

    The things we repair are from warranty work, updates, failures, worn out due to age, worn out due to lack of maintenance and every other reason you can think of like fires, hitting bridges, roll overs. We even had a loader that had acid dumped in the hyd tank. Some machines get turned around the same day, others a week or so and then there are ones the take a month of more. We have them parked outside waiting to come in and there ares ones coming to the shop, but only when they can get it in right away. Every one of our branches is hiring, we had a guy start a couple weeks ago and are still looking for a couple more. Business is great, we are swamped, we had our best month ever and looks like this will be a great year.

  156. #156Lee-online2011-08-03 19:28

    420E with a vibration issue at roading speed. We tried the basics and could not fix it. A Cat engineer is working with us. He sent a new diff that didn't fix it. Now he sent a new trans that i am in the process of swapping. I also had to swap the diffs back. Like any backhoe, put them as high as they go to give you the most room. This is the first E model i have done. It is alot tighter than the C and D even with the rear axle out. The old trans mounted to the jack. This is a power shift trans. Brand new trans. Only cost 16K, our cost.

  157. #157Lee-online2011-08-03 19:52

    D8T that burnt is finally getting fixed. Pictures are a few pages back. Once the engine, rad cab and other damaged parts are removed the machine will get washed and painted where needed. Pulled the sheet metal and cab Pulled the pumps and torque. All will get replaced or rebuilt. Engine is toast and will be scrapped. All hoses and harnesses are damaged so will be replaced. H160D hammer, we now install auto lubes on the bigger hammers.

  158. #158Per Eriksson2011-08-04 16:34

    The vibrating backhoe, I guess you swapped tires? I like your shop, nice and big, ours are so small I had to park a D8T outside to have enough room to remove the trackframes and pull the pivot shaft that's beat to hell due to the machine being run with a busted shaft seal. Not even asphalt or conrete, it's gravel ;-(

  159. #159Lee-online2011-08-04 17:53

    We changed the tires, changed the pressures, put turf style tires on from a roller, removed front, then rear drive shaft, swapped rear diff and now swapped trans. After all this, still the same problem. ?????? Our shop is just big enough to put a 775 with the bed pinned up. A bigger shop would be better but we can get by with what we have.

  160. #160OldandWorn2011-08-04 22:36

    Has this problem been there since new? If you get the machine up to speed and then coast it does the vibration continue? I wonder if the front diff is doing something squirrely.

  161. #161quackattak2011-08-05 12:05

    Lee, what do you think of the auto lube, good points and bad?

  162. #162Lee-online2011-08-05 17:25

    Machine is new, less than 200 hours and has been doing it since it was purchased. The vibe "feels" like it is coming from the rear. We took some more video of it and sent it to the engineer. They are now calling the shots of what we need to do.

  163. #163Lee-online2011-08-05 17:35

    Since we rent the hammers, now they should get greases. I know for a fact the hammers were not grease every hour of opperation because they would come back dry and the bushing would be worn. It was hard to prove it was not greased and so we took the hit on repairing them. When we rent them we sent a few tubes of hammer paste along so hopefully they get changed out when they are empty.

  164. #164RonG2011-08-06 03:40

    What powers the autolube system?All you have is hydraulics on the hammer it appears.Does it have a timer or how do you regulate the frequency of the lube dispenser?Thanks,Ron G

  165. #165alan627b2011-08-07 12:08

    Lee, thanks for posting the very interesting pics of your work. Some may come in handy if/when I ever get around to building my minature Cat shop diorama. Any pics of fixtures, tools etc that would be easy to model cheerfully accepted! I have a question about the military 621B's...the outfit I work for buys these when they can find them, and I was wondering....do you know why the military spec'd these things without a cushion hitch? My employer buys these (typically low hour) and retro fits them with the cushion hitches. Just wondered why no cushion hitches if you knew. Maybe they didn't want to deal with the pressurized nitrogen system? Thanks, Alan627b

  166. #166JimBruce422011-08-07 21:55

    not sure if it's the same on the cat hammers, but the hammers we use that have auto lube systems on them I think have hydraulic line running to it, so every time the hammer fires and metered amount is released. I'm just an operator though, Lee probably knows better.

  167. #167cps2011-08-08 15:38

    Thats how the Rammer hammers work as far as i know! Also cat hammers used to be made by rammer as far as i know! not sure about now though! My the way great photos Lee, keep up the good work Aiden

  168. #168Lee-online2011-08-08 20:51

    yeah, thats how the hammers lube themselves. As for the 621 not having cushion hitches, who knows, they were made in the early to mid 80's. It was probably a bean counter saving money.

  169. #169Lee-online2011-08-09 22:11

    963D, 6.6 common rail engine. The Fuel pump started to fail and shows signs of metal contamination so it needs the pump, rail, injectors and lines replaced. It is a tight fit working through the access door. Removed the filters to see the pump I need to remove. High pressure rail with the high pressure lines. These lines can only be used once. Some of the stuff is off, in the process of removing the front cover to remove the pump. Still need to remove the injectors. If all the parts show up, should get it done tomorrow, depending on how late i stay.

  170. #170Richardjw~2011-08-10 12:32

    Out of interest what procedure do you use to determine/confirm the common rail pump & injectors need replacing? Can you do it with a lap-top or do you need to put gauges in there and measure to see if you have excessive returns

  171. #171cb752011-08-10 12:36

    Did that 963 come from a landfill?

  172. #172Per Eriksson2011-08-10 15:18

    Ever swapped pump on a C6.4 engine, like in a 320/323D? That made me wanna go on a engine designer killing spree....... You can test the system with the computer and/or do a leakoff test from the injectors

  173. #173collins_br2011-08-10 18:02

    Per, I've done my 323D with lots of helpfull info from Lee, but i agree, not a nice job!!!

  174. #174rhudson12011-08-10 18:28

    yep, deserve every penny of the hourly rate...

  175. #175Lee-online2011-08-10 18:30

    With this one, it was running rough, ET showed low fuel pressure, the relief was ok. The two check valves on the side of the pump were pulled and there was metal pieces in there. cleaned them and it ran better but through experience, when you find metal its just amatter of time before it fails. Any debris will erode the injectors due to the high pressure. Checked the leak off and it was 60ml where spec is 30ml. On the bottom of the pump you can see the return line where I checked the leak off.( black nipple) Remove the regular banjo bolt and add one from the leak off kit. Now all the leak off fuel comes out and can be measured.

  176. #176Lee-online2011-08-10 18:33

    Yes, it does have the waste handle package and fire suppression. Oh it really stinks even though it was washed.

  177. #177Lee-online2011-08-10 18:40

    Yeah, did a 320 with a 6.4. not fun. 4.4 and 6.4 have the pump on the right side and the 4.6 and 6.6 on the left. there is all kind of room next to the counterweight, but no, put the pump between the engine and the main valve.

  178. #178Lee-online2011-08-10 19:27

    couple more pics New injectors, lines and rail all installed and snugged up before torquing. Rocker shaft reinstalled and lash adjusted. The smelly pig Standing on the wood box working through the access door is doing my back in.

  179. #179Lee-online2011-08-10 19:34

    Two more pics. I was the first one at work this morning so not much going on. 773D just converted to a water tanker. Brand new D6T just assembled. Has sweeps and a winch.

  180. #180cps2011-08-11 05:13

    Hi there Lee, just out of interest what time did you start this morning as its still dark? Over here its day light before 5 this time of year!

  181. #181Lee-online2011-08-11 18:20

    It was about about 5:30am. I have been starting at 6am all year but i like to drink my coffee and eat a bagel or muffin before i start. During the winter it was dark while driving to work and dark on the way home.

  182. #182cb752011-08-11 22:44

    I feel your pain Lee, I work at a landfill where we run 973's in the garbage. You don't really notice the smell if you're working on them on site, but when you bring them up to the shop and let them sit there overnight and come in the next morning...Yikes!!.. It'll about knock you over.

  183. #183Lee-online2011-08-13 20:22

    I only could smell it when i first got to work, then it was ok but others could smell it when they walked past. The landfill had a 973c before this one. We did just sell a new 973D waste handler but i dont know who in our area got it.

  184. #184Lee-online2011-08-13 20:47

    This is the 775E in post 150. I cleaned the entire hyd brake and hoist system, filled the rad with water to flush it and the engine hydraulically locked. It was probably damaged and overheated due to no coolant, pulled the oil pan and found 2 cylinders dripping water. It has been sitting while the customer decides what route they want to take, repair or rebuild. I am pulling the heads to find out what the damage is. 3412E is a big engine and you have to climb on it to work. Pull the valve covers, rocker boxes, injectors, rocker arms, injector sleeves and fuel manifold, turbo, aftercooler then the head can come off. Head is ready to lift off but it weights 400lbs and the crane was tied up so it has to wait until monday.

  185. #185Lee-online2011-08-15 21:40

    Pulled the heads today. It doesn't look good. #7 and #10 had the coolant in them. The ferrules in the spacer plate are distorted and are what let the coolant into the cylinders. I think they distorted from overheating One of the heads has a visible crack. One liner has what looks like a hair line crack. I didnt bother to measure the liner heights because the seals are prolly toast and should be replaced.

  186. #186quackattak2011-08-16 00:26

    I did a 3406a in a 980c last year, the ferrules looked just like that. Can't remember which piston was bad, but started out being a cracked head which turned into overheating and a cracked liner.

  187. #187Lee-online2011-08-24 22:22

    950F I am putting a brand new 3116 engine and a rebuilt trans in. The machine has 22k hours and works in a steel mill removing slag. D11R my co worker is doing a powertrain rebuild on. Because we are backlogged it is getting a reman engine from Cat. rebuilt trans and an exchange torque. This is a used machine that was just sold and the new owner wanted the new powertrain. Another 330C getting the boom repaired.

  188. #188Lee-online2011-08-24 22:41

    A brand new 420E went out on a demo, on the way back it hit a bridge. It ruined the stick and the E-stick. The cylinders will need disassembled and checked. The driver did fess up to as soon as he pulled into unload. His insurance will pay but now the machine wont be sold as new even though it only has 10 hours.

  189. #189Lee-online2011-08-24 22:50

    New engine for the burnt D8t. The engine is just about assembled. broom for a wheel loader. A few brooms for backhoes showed up this week. Leaving work tonight. 980H on the display pad. I don't normally stay this late. I left at 9pm

  190. #190quackattak2011-08-25 01:48

    you win for being busy, thats alot of projects going on.

  191. #191dirty4fun2011-08-25 06:00

    Lots of major repairs, must be a big shop to get that many big jobs going at the same time. With the delivery guy helping to keep you busy. That will be a costly mistake, we all make mistakes, just try to keep them small and less costly. Great pictures thanks for taking time to share them with us, I sure enjoy seeing what others are doing.

  192. #192Per Eriksson2011-08-25 14:30

    Look at that, these brooms are made over here, I used to work at that company designing fixtures in 3D cad for welding and assembly of the brooms. The first heavy duty one I also took part in developing of, hated being stuck in an office though so now I work on Catmachinery instead.

  193. #193carlsharp2011-08-26 04:36

    Lee- I've just read this entire thread, great work! I have a question- With so many projects of this size, in a shop this (relatively) small, some taking hours, some taking months, and sometimes with components going to other shops, how do you keep track of all the parts to get them back on same unit? There must be literally hundreds of nuts/bolts/washers etc. not to mention every little wire, hose and clamp that has to go on at the right time in the right place. Also there are all the tins that came off before washing, and the large parts like buckets and blades that get left off in the yard. Disorganization could create a jigsaw puzzle that would take days to figure out. On top of that, sometimes things go wrong and a different guy has to put it all back together!! Just the logistics of this part of the project are overwhelming, and we haven't even rebuilt the engine (or trans) yet!!

  194. #194Lee-online2011-08-26 20:55

    Components leaving the shop to go to another branch get marked with the machine serial number and work order number, also gets a bill of laden attached. An email is also sent detailing what needs done. Stuff in the shop normally gets put on skids and in boxes and is marked what it is and what machine it goes too. The area outside quickly fills up with sheet metal, belly pans and wheels etc. Parts we order get delivered to a parts rack in the bay we are working but they can take a while to sort out when there are big orders. We order all our own parts. I mark things i take apart with tags, colored phone wire or paint pen. Making diagrams and taking pics helps. I have a decent memory so that really helps me. Taking valves, pumps or components apart, I lay the pieces out so they can be assembled the same. Cat does have very good info so you can see how something goes together if it is disassembled incorrectly or by someone else. Been there. I work mainly on customers equipment with 3 other techs so we know how each other works and can follow up on each other but we normally finish what we start. We help each other out so we have a general idea what they are doing. I try to be flexible and will work on anything, rebuild component or whatever needs done. We also have 3 who work on rental and new, 2 who rebuild components and 4 who work on used equipment. Then there are 3 welders in the shop, 14 field techs dispatched from our branch and then 4 who work on skid steers and JLG's in a different building. I think we have just under 1500 employees in the company.

  195. #195CM19952011-08-26 21:26

    So, ummmm Lee - any way to slide one of those out the back gate? :naughty

  196. #196ramheadjim2011-08-26 22:30

    Lee i have some H8 pics that i would like to share with all, M88, M985 etc, would this be the right fourm?

  197. #197carlsharp2011-08-27 14:19

    Great info, Lee, thanks. Wow sounds like a huge operation!

  198. #198Mack1852011-08-28 21:02

    Lee, I haven't seen you post what dealer you work for or where you live but do you live in Mo by any chance? Your dealer looks a lot like my local dealer.

  199. #199OldandWorn2011-08-28 21:17

    Any updates?

  200. #200Greasypin2011-08-28 23:13

    this may is a shot in the dark but i worked for a farm that had a tractor that would viberate the hell out of the cab at higher speeds had different tires put on and never did it again

  201. #201Lee-online2011-08-28 23:26

    Yes, the trans was sent back to England for disassembly and inspection. Cat thinks it is the gears because they just changed suppliers before this machine was built. We took this machine back and gave the customer another brand new one. This one went into our rental fleet.

  202. #202Lee-online2011-08-30 21:22

    Here is what i am working on now, actually two of them. one is apart and waiting on parts and i am taking the other apart. The brakes don't hold and a clutch pack is worn and slipping. I am also working on an E110B. I pulled the fuel tank because it is full of rust and keeps plugging the fuel filter. Sent it out to get coated. I am also resealing the swivel, I will try to take a few pics of that because alot of people have this issues and it may help them.

  203. #203Lee-online2011-09-02 16:52

    CT660 stopped at the shop for a while so customers could check it out. This one was at the expo with a dump body on it but the body is now on a truck that was sold. This truck is on its way back to Cat to be disposed of because it is not exactly how the production truck are.

  204. #204RCTech92011-09-02 18:22

    Thats a Pretty Sweet Truck!!! I saw it myself at Conexpo! Are they available for purchase yet?

  205. #205dirty4fun2011-09-02 19:35

    I have a great place for them to dispose of that truck. It won't bother me if it is different than the new production, I sure could suffer while driving it, or I men get rid of it for them.

  206. #206Andre Grondin2011-09-03 17:36

    HI ! I never understood that move from CAT , they stop manufacturing motors for highway trucks , then they built a highway truck ! I'm sure there is a valid reason but I did not figure it out yet .

  207. #207rare ss2011-09-05 08:30

    rumer they will be running german MAN engines in the new ones they havent sold well at all down here, moreso in the west as most of our prime movers are running upwards of 95t GCM for tri-road train work they were only rated at 70t GCM when they were released i think they sqeezed them up to 90t now but noone wants to touch them, i did see a brand new one set up as a tipper broken down on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere but!

  208. #208steve loving2011-09-21 23:36

    Is the acess code for the older cat 312/315 b/c excavators oe323a. Thanks beforehand and i enjoy your work pictures Steve

  209. #209stinkycat2011-09-22 01:04

    On one of the posts from Lee it showed piece of equipment from Walsh Construction which is a Chicago company.

  210. #210Lee-online2011-09-23 20:46

    OE323A for B and FFF2 for C. newer machines are starting to use the last four of the serial number.

  211. #211Lee-online2011-09-23 20:53

    Just started back on the 775 last week. The customer finally decided what route they wanted to take with it. Removed the engine and torque to get rebuilt Lowered bed so we could continue working on it. Both sets of hole need bored along with some other welding work.

  212. #212Lee-online2011-09-23 20:59

    963D had fuel issues. Found debris in the tank and could not get it clean. Replaced the tank with a new one. Kinda a pain. Flip the cab, remove the pump stacks and pull out the tank. Looking down at the new tank. Pump stack removed. Put a new lip seal in while it was out.

  213. #213Lee-online2011-09-23 21:12

    I just started on this 970F this afternoon. Axle was overfilling. Brakes leak into axle. Pulled and drained, found big brass chunks and metal grindings. Only brass is in the spiders in the diff. One side was totally worn out. It made a metal paste that wore the bearings The thrust shims on the spiders broke. Machine has 30K hours so it is time to rebearing/reseal the axle. Put in another long day so i could get the parts ordered.

  214. #214dirty4fun2011-09-24 06:30

    More great pictures and thanks for telling us what it is you are working on. I sure enjoy everything you take time to share with us.

  215. #2152004F5502011-09-24 07:51

    Yeah we had to do the same to our 966F's with in the past year, nice pics and work

  216. #216Lee-online2011-10-21 19:32

    Still busy, just haven't taken any pics lately. I am working on a 572R pipelayer at the moment and then have brakes to do on a 980G but then, I get to work on this...... I rebuilt 5 of them a few years ago and it looks like they are starting the SLEP program again.

  217. #217rare ss2011-10-22 01:20

    what is it? I cant see anything

  218. #218steve loving2011-10-22 10:20

    Lee knew a guy that did all the military stuff at a cat dealer it was amasing how far they went with some of the rebuilds. I often thought they could have bought new on some of it and been cheaper. Do the differnt dealerships have to bid on the rebuilds against each other? Thanks for the pics Steve

  219. #219Lee-online2011-10-22 11:34

    To do the work for the .gov the dealer has to be compliant in a lot of different things. Most are policies and performed by the office staff. The contract is between the military and Caterpillar. We deal directly with Cat and treat them as though they are the customers. Cat sends us a parts kit for the entire machine, the hours they will pay and the pay scale they will pay. Everything gets documented and a military inspector will inspect it and sign off when it is done. Now, we always find things above and beyond what is required and those need documented and all the forms filled out for approval. This additional work is billed at our standard rate and we order the parts so we make the money on that. The last 621's were about $50k to rebuild and then an additional $50K in additional repairs. The last contract was to rebuild and replace every electrical part, every hose, every seal or gasket and to disassemble and inspect all components. After it was done, the machine was painted. I dont know how the contract changed but i assume it is going to be similar.

  220. #220Blacksmoke072011-11-15 06:38

    Got anymore cool stuff in there lately lee?

  221. #221Nige2011-11-15 10:54

    This is the latest challenge .............. now where exactly did I put the book of instructions on how to put it together ..?

  222. #222Blacksmoke072011-12-25 15:18

    777?

  223. #223Nige2011-12-25 18:18

    Bit bigger than that. 789C, the last one we'll ever get because the 789D goes into production in January 2012. We have 15 of those planned for next year starting around June time.

  224. #224stinkycat2011-12-26 00:29

    Nige I worked on a fleet of Cat 779 end dumps in the late 60's they were powered by that awful D348 pushing 990 hp DC generator and traction motors in each rear wheel , what are the power plants on the 789's and larger. I'm unable to travel to any of the coal mines south off me to watch them. Was able to watch the large trucks a Bingham Canyon Utah about 15 years ago but couldn't get close.

  225. #225Nige2011-12-26 14:01

    D348 - happy memories (not!) of rolling in crankshaft shell bearings when the first model of the 777 had that POS engine. Actually on one job where we were hauling downhill loaded we ended up with quite a bit of success with it once we knocked the BHP from 875 back to 750. Engine oil pumps were also an Achilles Heel IIRC. The 89 has a fairly low horsepower 3516 installed in it - only 1900 gross BHP. We have some 3516C engines in gen sets here that are rated at 3500 BHP ..........!! Haven't given up on trying to get you some photos of the early electric-drive trucks.

  226. #226Mr. Butcher.2011-12-29 11:16

    Lee, what a cracking thread and thanks for taking the time to shoot the pics, I bet your a happy chap in his work! I wish the firm I work for would get into some in depth repairs but it seems to be farmed out to main dealer as of lately, but we live in hope keep up the good work and looking forward to the next load of photos of Proper work!

  227. #227Lee-online2012-01-16 20:23

    621B is almost done. Just put the engine back in and connected everything, just need the rad, fluids and some testing before it goes to paint. To the right of the 621 is a 992g getting a powertrain rebuild. And to the left is a 988G that just got a new powertrain.

  228. #228RayF2012-01-16 23:29

    Did you rebuild the hich on the 621? I havn't done many 21's but more 630 series than I care to remember. I got a call this morning to bore a 992G artic. I knocked it back,to old and stiff to climb up there

  229. #229OldandWorn2012-01-17 05:09

    Thanks for the updates Lee. Makes my legs tired just looking at all of those steps and ladders.

  230. #230rare ss2012-01-17 06:03

    don't forget to paint the step and oil filter on the 621

  231. #231Ardent2012-01-19 06:06

    I dont see any fire protection on these machines...

  232. #232Nige2012-02-22 15:36

    Forgot to post any updates on this that I posted on the previous page ........... see below. Now all I have to do is wait for the other 15 that will be arriving from June onwards .....!!

  233. #233KustomizingKid2012-03-07 18:39

    Very cool thread, I am amazed by how far they can tear a machine down and have it still be cheaper to rebuild than to build a new one.

  234. #234The Peej2012-04-03 07:33

    is that tiny little wheel chock really going to do anything?

  235. #235Nige2012-04-03 09:38

    It won't stop anything if you try to drive over it, but if the park brake were to fail then that "tiny little chock" (it's actually about 11" high and weighs almost 40 pounds) will actually stop the machine from moving. What you may also have missed is that there are 2 chocks - one each side. The more normal parking practice is to use a grader to create a ditch and then park the front wheels in the ditch. No need for chocks at all then. http://www.checkersindustrial.com/product.php?id=110

  236. #236Nige2012-04-03 09:40

    A full "Certified Rebuild" done by a dealer will typically cost around 60% of the price of a new machine and at the end of it the machine in question gets a new Serial Number and a full new machine warranty. 2nd life will be the same as 1st life, whatever that was.

  237. #237rare ss2012-04-05 22:46

    yes, stop the safety squeezers from whinging

  238. #238lake side bob2012-04-07 12:33

    What!!! what a lack of any thing between the ears in the head. This shows how bad the government is, laws that force the destruction of good machinery, I am referencing the engine blocks made before the emission laws. That engine block has value, but when you can print money out of thin air what does one expect. What is coming next from all those sharp government people?

  239. #239redneck rigger2012-04-08 23:47

    I've spent years workin in hydraulic shops, and seen some crazy things. Thankfully I've never seen a rotator group grenaded that bad. Somedbody spent some money to put this back in operation.

  240. #240redneck rigger2012-04-08 23:50

    what's the story behind the cute little jib that's pickin the motor? Does it temporartily mount wherever it's needed?

  241. #241HolmesWood2012-04-09 19:17

    i saw a skidder in one of those pictures.do you get a lot of forestry equipment in?i would love to see some pictures of a few woods machines.

  242. #242Lee-online2012-10-11 21:35

    I finally have some time so maybe i can get active on this site again. There are all kinds of things going on at work and i can take a few pics here and there to show what i am still up to. I am putting a new cam and lifters into a C9 in a 330c with 8k hours

  243. #243Diagonal Brace2012-10-11 22:07

    Wow! Low on oil? Looks like she got hot there.

  244. #244OldandWorn2012-10-12 05:46

    Good to see you posting again Lee.

  245. #245Nige2012-10-12 07:13

    That's been just a tad warm ........

  246. #246inthedirt2012-10-12 07:38

    I saw a very similar thing happen in a QSC Cummins. The plug with a nub that screwed int o the block and ran in a slot in the lifter to keep it indexed correctly broke off and let the roller lifter turn sideways with the cam. It seems that cam lobes get unhappy when the lifter wheel runs sideways for a while...

  247. #247quackattak2012-10-13 13:22

    good to see you again Lee, always enjoy your posts.

  248. #248Lee-online2012-10-14 19:46

    This is what i assume happened to this. Monday it will get a new cam, bearings and lifters along with all new gaskets.

  249. #249Lee-online2012-10-22 17:18

    Here is this weeks project. A 572G. Does not move when warm. Boy, are there enough levers? There are enother two to the right on top of the hyd tank. The first thing I noticed was the oil was like a milkshake. Rain has been leaking into the case. Clutches don't like water and will come apart. A stall test showd the shaft keeps turning so the clutches are shot. I am sure it is the steering clutches but the trans are not far behind them. Time for a rebuild. This is the screen in the torque, small bits of clutch material on it. I got the trans out today (still in, in this pic), will pull the torque and steering clutches tomorrow.

  250. #250Lee-online2012-10-26 20:52

    Here was what was going to be quick job installing product link. Well, I found a coolant leak and after looking into it and pulling out the shroud i found the front cover was leaking. This is a new 6.6 Teir 4i roller. Here is a loader that needs the hitch done.

  251. #251RayF2012-10-26 21:14

    That would bring a tear to a Line Borers eye How about the steering bores? Knackered as well?

  252. #252Lee-online2012-10-26 21:29

    Yep, the steer cylinder and drive shaft were the only things holding it together.

  253. #253Lee-online2012-11-01 23:33

    I finished up the roller. While the cover was off i verified no other leaks on the block by plugging the coolant ports and pressurizing. Cover installed and gears timed. Putting new injectors in a 3116 in a IT28F

  254. #254willie592012-11-01 23:40

    LoL, I never get to work on an engine or machine that is as clean as that roller.

  255. #255Lee-online2012-11-01 23:46

    I has less than 100 hours on it. I Think it has only been on a demo.

  256. #256willie592012-11-02 00:13

    That's awesome dude, it's nice to get a chance to work on a clean low hour machine now and then, the one I worked on today was a filthy mess inside an underground mine. :drinkup

  257. #257Lee-online2012-11-02 20:17

    I put a set of injectors in the 3116 today. We used to do this almost weekly but don't see them very often anymore. The cups need cleaned to remove carbon and make a fresh area for the injector to seat into. After cut, there is a nice smooth shiny area. It came out grey in the pic Once installed and seated they are synchronized to injector #1. You need to move the rack to do this so it needs to be unpinned from the governor or, turn the key on and bump it to start and leave it. This will energize the fuel shut off and the rack will now move. Rocker arms installed, valve lash set and injector timing adjusted. Spec was 65.65mm but I advance the timing by 0.5 to 1mm for better power. Set these as 65.0mm. After done, it ran great and i check the fuel with a sight glass, no bubbles so the injectors are seated correct.

  258. #258Diagonal Brace2012-11-03 09:10

    Great info there. When you say you advance the timing by 0.5 to 1 mm to increase power how would that relate to degrees as in BTDC?

  259. #259Nige2012-11-03 12:29

    That's why I like putting new ones together ....!! We're just finishing up our new fleet of 789D's (1 more left to assemble) and have just started 2 x 854K Wheel Dozers. Next month we have a new D10T arriving and apparently 3 more 789D's in January. That will keep me out of mischief for a while. One of these days I must update the New Toys thread ........ got some nice pictures that I need to upload.

  260. #260caterpillarmech2012-11-03 23:09

    Nice thread Lee. It is cool to see some of the larger jobs. I work mainly on rental stuff but that means very little here lately. And I was 2/8 Cav Dec95 to Sep 98. Had bunch of buddies in 2/5 All Mortars.

  261. #261Lee-online2012-11-05 19:31

    I don't know. All it is doing is preloading the rocker arm on the injector by 1mm so it is fired and at max travel just before max lift on the cam lobe. It works well. If you do too much (3-4mm) it will knock and smoke. We also go to the high side of spec on the fuel setting and the torque screw on the governor can be turned in a little if they are lacking power for whatever application the machine is being used in. With electronic engines there are not many tweaks. Excavators, we tweak the PRV and the max % torque limit on speed dial 10.

  262. #262Lee-online2012-11-05 19:34

    We may have crossed paths. I was there 97-01. Our barracks was opposite the sports dome and the motorpool was on the end.

  263. #263Lee-online2012-11-09 21:15

    Replacing a cracked head on a C9 in a D6R. These are packed in there. Big parts removed show how cramped it is Head is off and cleaning up the block The head is 400 lbs and is mostly under the cab so a C frame is used to lift it. Head is on. Found it easier to install without the manifold/turbo and i didnt want the injectors to get damaged so the head is bare.

  264. #264Per Eriksson2012-11-09 22:13

    These are a pain to work on, and for some reason it is always seems like it is the #5 or #6 injectors that goes bad on them........

  265. #265caterpillarmech2012-11-10 07:25

    At least it is not a T. I had to replace a injector line on one. All day job for a 12" line. Fun!!!!

  266. #266mahoni022012-11-14 00:05

    Hi body, I just wonder what is the name of tool on the boom at the bottom picture? is it electrode gun? Thanks

  267. #267mahoni022012-11-14 00:08

    Hi body, I just wonder what is the name of tool on the boom at the bottom picture? is it electrode gun? Thanks[/QUOTE]

  268. #268justafarmer2012-11-14 02:42

    [/QUOTE] Air needle scaler

  269. #269siduramaxde2012-11-14 10:30

    subscribed...very nice work Lee

  270. #270rare ss2012-11-18 00:36

    Air needle scaler[/QUOTE] favorate tool the boilies use to **** off everyone in the shop, walked in on one blairing from the fab shop with a bit of bar holding the trigger on once making it sounds as though they were busy haha

  271. #271Lee-online2012-11-19 20:16

    Finished up the head on the D6R last week. Washed it off before installing the sheet metal. I painted the head as i installed the components onto it. No need to leave bare parts so they rust. Started back on the 572G, Put a rear main seal in before installing the torque. Case was welded and then I had it washed out. Installed both rebuilt clutches. Now my back is aching.

  272. #272OldandWorn2012-11-19 20:42

    What happened to the case Lee? Are the white lines sorta like inspection marks after tightening? Thanks for the cool pics!

  273. #273Lee-online2012-11-19 20:54

    Case was cracked where the frame is welded to it. I put the marks on so i could keep track of what had been torqued. As i installed and torqued the bolts on the inner and outer of the left and right sides i moved the track foreword to access all the bolts. With all the jumping back and forth there was too much chance of missing one.

  274. #274Lee-online2012-11-21 21:34

    A D6N showed up with no steering or hydraulics. A quick inspection found no hyd oil and an overfull trans. Didn't even need to cut open the filters, just shook them. Slippers from the toasted pump came out of the filter. 938H getting a reman engine. The old one goes back for the core.

  275. #275Per Eriksson2012-11-22 16:10

    Where the hell have that 938 been running? that thing is filthy....

  276. #276Lee-online2012-11-23 00:30

    Scrap yard.

  277. #277theironoracle2012-11-25 10:25

    Lee-online, i was looking at that picture of the clutch/brake assembly installed, in the top of that case on the right side there is that 2" x 2" piece of iron welded to the case what is that for? tooling install? just wondering.........................................theironoracle

  278. #278Lee-online2012-11-25 10:55

    That is where the bolts that hold the fender on go. They are welded on, drilled and threaded. That way there is no worry about leaking through the threads and there is more metal for the bolt to grip . Its always better to have blind holes in a case with oil.

  279. #279theironoracle2012-11-25 11:33

    thanks, i remember now its been a while since i have been into one of these....................theironoracle

  280. #280Lee-online2012-12-03 18:01

    Here is something different that just showed up. It was dead so we had to pull the axles to unload it. Its very heavy at 90K pounds. The mulching engine is a C15, I was told it loves to drink the fuel but it clears an acre an hour. We need to get this fixed because i want to see it run.

  281. #281willie592012-12-03 19:35

    Wow, that's a beast!

  282. #282Diagonal Brace2012-12-03 21:40

    Our city has one mounted on a Volvo grader that they use for milling asphalt. Does some serious work. Has a six foot cutting head.

  283. #283OldandWorn2012-12-03 21:49

    $$$$$$$ Now that's just awesome $$$$$$$$

  284. #284Lee-online2012-12-03 21:55

    I looked on their web site and they have videos of it in action. http://www.ironwolf.com/products/slasher/ Pretty cool.

  285. #285Dualie2012-12-03 22:07

    Is that a winch tucked up in there to?

  286. #286dirtmonkey2012-12-03 22:12

    Iron wolf makes a good product. Wicked machines. Wicked expensive too:jawdrop They also make a mulcher for skid loaders. There use to be a video of an ASV with a mulcher on it eating cedar trees. If its the same one I'm thinking of , that's me running the loader.

  287. #287OldandWorn2012-12-03 22:41

    Any idea on what is wrong with the tractor?

  288. #288Lee-online2012-12-03 22:52

    Torque is pumping out the oil faster than they can put it back in. Should be a simple job of removing the torque and resealing it.

  289. #289willie592012-12-03 22:56

    Should be, except for all that mulcher stuff that's now in the way.

  290. #290Lee-online2012-12-03 23:10

    Pull the floor out and its a simple job to drop the torque out the bottom. I am assuming there is no mulching stuff in the way. Oh, i dont think it has a winch, just a tow cable attached with a shackle.

  291. #291willie592012-12-03 23:17

    Hey, I hope it's a "no worries" deal. Knowing my luck, they would have 1" thick reinforced belly plates because of the mulcher. :tong

  292. #292Lee-online2012-12-03 23:34

    They prolly do but it is already off as they tried to fix it in the field.

  293. #293profrooky2012-12-04 21:47

    Nice thread and pics!!! Hey Lee: Awesome pics. Brings back good memories, used to work for the Cat dealer in Ontario. College teacher now. Also writing a Heavy Equipment textbook to be finished next year. Just wondering if I could use some of your pics in my book? Thanks, Scott

  294. #294Lee-online2012-12-05 16:19

    I didn't save most of the pics after resizing and posting. I wouldn't care if you put them in a book to help others learn, the more recent I still may have and can email to you if you let me know what ones you want. If there is something in particular you are after I can see if it comes through the shop and get some pics for you.

  295. #295profrooky2012-12-05 19:52

    That's great, thanks for the offer. I'm just finishing up the last couple of chapters and going through the final draft so I have to figure out what's left that I need for illustrations. I have a lot of my own and have permission to use some manufacturers illustrations as well. I noticed that I can save images that you post so if you're Ok with me using ones that you already have posted that would be much appreciated. I'll definitely get you a copy of the book when its done and give you credit for the pics I use. This forum is fantastic, I'm going to be telling my students about it. Great way to research what they'll be doing in the future. Can I post pics as well here? Been doing some cool stuff with our new 444k loader, Service Advisor and a flatscreen TV. Thanks, Scott

  296. #296Lee-online2012-12-05 20:06

    I have no problem with you saving and using the pictures I posted. Members on here love pics, so post away. I think you need 4 posts before you can start a new thread.

  297. #297oldirt2012-12-06 07:45

    lee, thanks for this great thread of pictures you have given to us all. You truly show what a master mechanic can do, and I think the enormity of your work is rather amazing. I have a question, are all tier 0 motored machines supposed to get emission upgraded? It made me sick to see the pics of a perfectly good block broken so it couldn't be used again, like it was a demilled 155 or something.

  298. #298Lee-online2012-12-06 16:09

    Not all machine could get it. It was based on the area population and machines. The .Gov paid for most of the cost and the customer paid for labor and the extras but then had to keep the machine for 5 years. That was a short lived program that ended a few years ago.

  299. #299oldirt2012-12-06 18:03

    ok, I sure enjoy your pictures and the story that goes along with it. I imagine you have seen every kind of disaster that could be possible by now. The pic of the final with dirt peeking back out of the oil fill hole was priceless..

  300. #300Lee-online2012-12-19 17:47

    Some interesting buckets with thumbs showed up at work. Pivoting here is a good idea. The bucked can be moved but the debris inside wont fall out until the thumb is opened. 3 different sizes. TH407 showed up, looks like a handy little telehandler.

  301. #301CM19952012-12-19 18:54

    Rockland ******-Claw. I like the concept, would like to try one out. A hydraulic thumb is handier than a shirt pocket but adds a lot of weight to the stick when performing normal digging operations. That bucket with a quick coupler and quick disconnect hyd lines would be the ticket. Use it when clearing, demo, etc and then set it aside when digging and loading trucks.

  302. #302d9gdon2012-12-19 19:51

    That bucket makes me think 'why didn't I think of that'? I bet Cat does too.

  303. #303Joetomass2012-12-19 20:02

    Hey some great pics Do you have more pics of replacing center hitch pins on a wheel loader I have to do mine In a older Michigan loader. Want to see what I'm in for Thanks joe

  304. #304Lee-online2012-12-20 22:06

    It can be a big job depending how worn it is and if the bores are ok. If it just needs pins and bearings its a matter of disconnecting hoses,drive shaft and unpinning, support one end frame and pull the other away. The rear frame it heavy at the back so we pull that away with a forklift while holding it level. Wedge blocks in the oscillating axle.

  305. #305profrooky2012-12-24 08:33

    Those thumb buckets look pretty heavy duty, emphasis on the heavy. If used with a short stick they probably wouldn't affect performance too much. Great innovation though, I could see them being popular for a demolition contractor. Would these be for a 345 size machine? Merry Christmas to all and wishing a prosperous New Year.

  306. #306rare ss2012-12-25 22:58

    i could be wrong but looking at the bore sizes and centres they only look good for a 20t machine?

  307. #307RayF2012-12-25 23:15

    Looks only small but the concept should be good for bigger stuff.I could see them being handy for demolition and clearing to around 50 ton?

  308. #308rare ss2012-12-27 07:21

    yeh, I spent alotta time with a company called Ertech in Perth Ray, we used to run acouple silly log grabs which had to have the mounts welded onto the dipper arm which pinned a 90degree frame against the bucket (or rack) of our 40t machines, was a pain in the @ss as the mounts couldnt be left on as they fouled against the boom, these buckets would have been perfect for clearing work

  309. #309RayF2012-12-27 08:44

    Did some Line Boring for Ertech years ago. Did they have some 631's or 633's? I did a cushion hitch on one and some work on some smaller Cat loaders I think. They used a bloke with a small workshop just off Gnangara Road to their mechanical work.

  310. #310rare ss2012-12-27 22:33

    would have been Ross @ Ranlo on Atwell St, they started up their on shop on Gnagara rd not long after that (the shop was even smaller) back then they would have had a 633D and 639D They just finished a massive new place on Ocean Reef Rd they come along way

  311. #311RayF2012-12-28 08:49

    Thats them. Ranlo Engineering. There was Ross and an apprentice who had half a brain. Not a bad lad as I recall.

  312. #312Oxbow2012-12-28 08:59

    Interesting buckets. We do stream channel restoration, and my concern with these buckets would be ice build up where the hydraulic lines to the thumb cylinders are located, as well as damage to the cylinders from rock. I am sure that in specific applications they would be handy. I wonder if the thumb, when wide open, will hit the stick when one curls the bucket?

  313. #313rare ss2012-12-28 19:30

    mm wasn't Lindsey was it?? (apprentice of the year 1995 )

  314. #314RayF2012-12-28 23:30

    Would have been late 80's and early 90's. Most of the work I did for them was small loaders,920's and 930's.I started concentrating on bigger work after that and ended up doing 95% of my work for the bigger contract miners,here locally and also a lot of bush work.

  315. #315profrooky2013-03-13 21:56

    Hey Lee: What's been going on at work lately?

  316. #316Chisumtrail2013-03-14 22:23

    I've been wondering where Lee has been also.