My favorite job, repairing Eaton Fuller transmissions. Always been the best job in the house for me. This one the driver forced the shift from 4th under to 5th direct. Only damage was to 1st/5th speed gear. But I always replace all the sliding clutches, input shaft and necessary bearings. The trans only had 125,000 miles on it so the rear section was ok. $820.00 dollars in parts and 7.5 hours labor. Truck Shop
Nice work does that labour include removal and refit or was it supplied on a pallet etc
Nice clean job. Every body needs a mini sledge as well.
I in house repair as many transmissions for the company I work for as possible. I keep one ready to go on the floor at all times. R&R time and that includes removing left side fuel tank and one air tank to gain access is usually 4.5 to 5 hours max. The outside parts sales people that call on our shop say I am a rare bird because hardly any trucking outfits and even the dealers don't do major transmission repair anymore. Mechanics these days don't know what their missing. Gear work has always been the best job in a shop at least in my opinion. A pic of one of our tractors. Truck Shop
Looks good! Question in that one picture that yellow tool holding up the parts. Is that a factory tool or something you came up with to make the job easier? I used to do a lot of the old Mack Quadraplex transmissions (and an odd Triplex now and then) and made up some things to make that job easier, like a stand to support the rear box on end by way of the parking brake mount flange, yea many were old enough to be in trucks with out Maxi brakes, just driveline drum brake. Later on we got into the Triple Countershaft Maxitorques. They were pretty easy too just had to remember the timing marks. As most of the company's trucks were Macks only got to work on a couple Road Rangers. I believe it was one of those that you needed a pair of special "C" shaped tools to hold up the shaft while assembling them. Well as it was only going to be a one or two time job I could not see buying those tools. I measured the hole in the case and the diameter of the shaft and at home that night I took a scrap piece of wood and had at it on the band saw. Worked slick, probably still sitting on the shelf when I retired a year and half ago.
That is a neutral lock out tool I made. I stand the trans up on it's bell to install the back section. That tool keeps the sliding clutches from engaging two gears at once. That way the rear section slides right down while rotating the output shaft. Allowing the counter shafts to mate up to the auxiliary drive gear on the front section. It is alot easier and just works better doing it that way to set counter shaft pre-load on the back section. There are two shaft support tools in the photo of the tools. I had those machined out of plastic/nylon material some years ago. Truck Shop
Yes I understand, saves putting the covers on to use the forks to hold them. Simple but effective, if I was still doing that kind of work I would steal your design! Those support tools look just like the wood ones I made many years ago. Amazing how easy it is to make some tools that make a job so easy.
I like that lockout tool, I may steal that design. I do a lot of gear work, too. It amazes me all the stuff that mechanics did as just par for the course, when I started 30 yrs ago, that hardly anybody does now.
Nice work but some of your punches need dressing lol Did that driver get a promotion? I'm guessing all the trucks get spec'd with the same transmission?
The punches get dressed every morning when they get out of the tool cart lol. And yes it was to bad he had to tear up a transmission on his last day at work. There were other problems with that driver also. And every manual trans is the same spec. Truck Shop
Steal away-if it helps someone go for it. I made that out of some old brake line laying around. 1/4 rod would work better. But I was feeling super cheap that day. The other mechanic in the shop calls me a rat picker. I guess that's better than rat pecker. Truck Shop
I would love to see more of your work ,sir.It's nice to see how other people do things.