Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Something you don’t see very often

jrhaines ยท 2018-03-16 09:41

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/caterpillar-943-crawler-high/6532479347.html

Replies6
  1. #1d9gdon2018-03-16 10:54

    Sure looks like a snow machine. I wonder if it was one of the Antartica research station tractors?

  2. #2jrhaines2018-03-16 11:05

    Possibly but it is sitting just outside Pittsburgh,Pa right not.It has over 6500 hours on it was well used.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2018-03-16 14:29

    Interesting that it has a extra set of rails bolted to the outside edge of the track pads. There is not one bolted to the inside. At first I thought the tracks were offset with longer pads to the outside but when looking at the end view of the tracks I don't think so, or very little if they are. Wonder if they thought they would hit more rocks and stumps at the outside of the tracks than the inside so they built in some strength.

  4. #4bam19682018-03-17 23:25

    Imagine if those tracks were full of mud...... I have ran 53's, 63's and 73's but have not ran a 43. That being said, I'm assuming that it would struggle for enough power to get around in muck. Not to mention the poor guy that got stuck cleaning it out!!!

  5. #5cuttin edge2018-03-18 07:40

    Are there any peatmoss bogs in that area? Some of the machines that work the bogs here have tracks like that. Seeing the empty skids piled in one of the pictures made me think of it. No machines like that, but I have seen a couple old TD15s. They use mostly loaders with flotation tires. One spot had an old Hi ho with similar tracks. Never saw it in action, it was in the junk pile. They use a Kobelco with swamp mats now.

  6. #6John C.2018-03-18 12:59

    Tri-track is pretty common in the woods around here. When the pads get really wide like that there isn't enough metal in the pin and bushings to keep the tracks from twisting and wearing those parts out real quickly. I'm betting that is a custom machine used for a specific purpose. Maybe for loading hog bodies at the alligator farm in the swamp.