Good Morning all.... I have been having a problem with a Hough H65 wheel loader that is running bad. When the unit is cold it seems to run ok, however after warming up to operating temp the issue begins. First , the R.P.M. drops off ,then the engine starts to "sputter" , I begin to get blue smoke , Then the engine dies. I let it sit for about five minutes and the engine restarts and will run ok for about 5 minutes , then the whole thing starts again. I thought perhaps it might be starving for fuel so I changed the Fuel filters. that made little difference. The blue smoke is quite disturbing since it only happens when the engine is ready to stall. I get normal black smoke on full throttle opening but it stops when the rpm catch up to the throttle position. Could there be something in the turbo oiling circuit ? Any help would be appreciated.
I had a DT466 in a dump did the same exact thing. I changed the filter and cleaned the screen with no luck. The elbow before the screen was clogged. Check it out and let us know.
Hey Snuffy, I have a Hough 65C with a DT407 in it. I have had fuel and turbo problems with it. It started with fuel starvation. The pickup tube in the tank was clogging. There is a screen at the bottom of the tube. Tank was full of water and slime. Try draining the tank of water by removing the drain plugs. The fuel pump was bad so I changed it to a electric in-line pump. The turbo was worn out and not pushing enough air into the engine.
Good Morning.... Very good advice , I removed the fuel pick-up and fuel line assy. from the tank. The pick-up pipe , check valve were clean ( inside ) but the story changed when I removed the pump. The pump is a "Carter" P4601HP , rated at 18psi 100 gph. The pump is a positive displacement fuel cooled vane pump. The intake screen was absolutely plugged. I cleaned the screen and all components, then reinstalled the pump. I was unable the get the pump to "prime". I have ordered another fuel pump from Jegs. it is due in April 15. I will let you know what I find after installing the new pump.......Jim
Good morning... The fuel pump came in yesterday and was installed in just a few minutes. I turned the switch on with the pump unhooked electrically, the pump primed almost instantly and the filter bleeders were overflowing (quite a surprise). The engine started right away and , I ran the machine for about an hour with ne problem. The root cause was the fuel pump. After tearing it down I found the vane driver or impeller was at fault. inside the vane holder there is a "screwdriver" type slot that mates to the motor. The slot was broken and the impeller would not spin most of the time. Thanks for the advice and help....Jim