Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Source for small Eaton/Char-Lynn hydraulic motors

CM1995 · 2022-06-25 16:20

Anyone know of a reputable source for Eaton/Char-Lynn hyd motors? A drive motor on one of our Wacker trench rollers is leaking around the shaft and not sure if it can be sealed. Char-Lynn part # 104-4114-006 Wacker Part #181899 I've come across a couple of sources on the net that range from $1,000 to 1,400 new with some on fleabay for a couple 100 less that are "new no box" type listings. Don't want to shell out that kind of change with someone I don't know. FWIW this is not spam bait but I bet we get a few...

Replies8
  1. #1Coaldust2022-06-25 17:14

    I purchase these from Motion Industries. They have branches all over the L48. I deal with their Anchorage branch. Decent outfit to do biz with. I’ve used the knock-off China/India ones, with surprising success. I have limited luck repairing them and have observed the same. They will start leaking again in 2-3 months. IDK why? It’s like once a certain amount of wear occurs, they are done. There are four part numbers I use on the regular.

  2. #21693TA2022-06-25 18:51

    This may help you with a replacement. Once you know the size, you can search for the best price and fitment for aftermarket if desired: https://www.eatonpowersource.com/products/configure/motors/details/104-4114-006/

  3. #3CM19952022-06-25 19:54

    10-4. Thanks CD. Motion has one for just under $1K but it's a factory order apparently not in stock. Motion has a large DC here so I could pick it up there. I was wondering about the China/India ones and the quality. What kind of service and hours/time are you seeing out of them? That's my thoughts as well on repair. Since this motor is inside the front drum on the roller and the simple fact it vibrates itself to death, I want to go with a new motor for the same reasons. It's not a total PIA to get to it but it's not something we want to re-visit in 2-3 months.

  4. #4eastroad2022-06-25 23:12

    I was going to suggest Surplus Center or Baum Hydraulics untilI I saw your picture. That looks like a real specialized unit that I doubt they would have, but you never know.....

  5. #5JLarson2022-06-25 23:31

    Ask the Motion guys about what it would cost/time to send it to one of their hydro shops.

  6. #6Coaldust2022-06-26 00:10

    Over the last 7 years, I would say the performance out to 5,000 hours is about the same, knock-off vs genuine Char-Lynn. After that, the Char-Lynn goes longer without the input shaft seal leaking.

  7. #7CM19952022-06-26 10:54

    Thanks for the info. What type of application? If we could get 500 hrs out of it on the little roller it would suffice. 500 hrs is alot for a trench roller.

  8. #8Coaldust2022-06-26 12:51

    Truck mounted Blackmer delivery pumps with hydraulic PTO’s.