Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sources for a greaseable pin?

JoshA ยท 2015-06-08 13:30

I've got an old EX200 Hitachi excavator that I recently put a hydraulic thumb on. Problem I have is that the hoe had greaseable pins, and the thumb has a pin for greaseable bushing. This is for the pin that goes through the boom, the WBM wedgelock, and the thumb. Looks like it will cost $600 [and a 2 month wait] to get one from the thumb manufacturer (no take-backs on the "old" pin) or around $1,000 from WBM. For this old hoe I was hoping to find something a lil more affordably. Don't care if it's a used pin so long as the previous guy knew how to empty a grease gun. Located in Edmonton Alberta, so as close as we can get to there the better! Thanks, -Josh

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2015-06-08 21:03

    Take a long hard look at the bushings in the stick and also the ears of the WBM coupler, see if it doesn't make more sense to do some drilling. I did some years ago where we put one zerk in the center of the stick between the bushings and it filled the center then pushed grease out both sides. Put a fat O-ring between the stick and the coupler if that's possible and it should push a little grease through the coupler bores too with a bit of luck. Or drill a hole in each of the coupler ears and if need be use a die grinder to carve some shallow grease grooves. Drilled pins with thumbs usually break easier in my opinion. YMMV

  2. #2clintm2015-06-09 22:03

    2nd that:iagree

  3. #3rsaint2015-06-13 21:52

    Got pins made up in nisku and 1 week turnaround at Dynamic fluids.

  4. #4JoshA2015-07-25 14:21

    Thanks guys, I had thought about doing the drilling, but figured I'd wind up drilling out 5 holes and grooves, (thumb-coupler-stick-coupler-thumb), kind of a project I didn't think I would have time for. Spoke to Dynamic Fluids, thanks for the lead, price wise to get my pin drilled out I can buy a new greasable pin from the thumb manufacturer. Thanks again!